Joe Aribo

Matthew Le God

Yeah Ryan Kent is the one I'd have really liked from Rangers, but I guess he'd have his sights set higher than us. Very good player.

As for Aribo, I'm not convinced he's better than what we've already got, although that bar isn't set very high at all! That said I thought he linked up quite well with KWP on the right against Klagenfurt, and I like that he adds a bit of physicality and presence to the team. Hopefully he can be a success here.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

As for Aribo, I'm not convinced he's better than what we've already got, although that bar isn't set very high at all!

Definitely mindful of the SPL being weak enough to even make Elyounoussi look good. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Just play Aribo up front. He proved he could do it at Rangers. Would solve a huge problem for us. 

I agree, if we're still without a new striker come the Tottenham game, he's as good an option as any.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I agree, if we're still without a new striker come the Tottenham game, he's as good an option as any.

He can clearly hold a ball up and seems to know where the back of the net is. 

Ralph has played SA as a striker so why not Aribo? Particularly when you consider that he played in that position for Rangers.

Again, Ralph leaves me scratching my head and wondering what he sees that we don't? 

2 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

He can clearly hold a ball up and seems to know where the back of the net is. 

Ralph has played SA as a striker so why not Aribo? Particularly when you consider that he played in that position for Rangers.

Again, Ralph leaves me scratching my head and wondering what he sees that we don't? 

maybe we sign a striker and then Aribo can provide some chances. If he plays up front, who is going to be supplying him?

25 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Getting some Tadic vibes about him, left footed, very good close control, not rapid but fast enough, composed. Hopefully he will be that extra bit of creativity in the final third we have been missing. 

Early days, I know, but I think Lavia will really help with this. Seems like he wants to get on the front foot and get the ball forward. Something we lack with JWP and Romeu. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Bit embarrassing that Southampton is promoting this goal to a ridiculous degree. It was a preseason friendly. Just released a video on YouTube entitled "Aribo's magic moment." Do it in a competitive match and then I'll join the hype train. 

Friendly or not, it was an absolutely incredible goal. There's no way the club weren't going overboard about it. 

This guy is going to totally divide the fanbase just like Tadic. He has some amazing skills, there was a piece of close control under pressure from a high, spinning ball on Saturday which was worth the entry fee alone. But then he spends time on the periphery of the game, trying the odd thing that doesn't come off which please the groaners at St Mary's because they love to moan about something.

Personally I love those types of player. I had a bit of a man crush on Tadic and am really looking forward to watching Aribo.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Friendly or not, it was an absolutely incredible goal. There's no way the club weren't going overboard about it. 

This guy is going to totally divide the fanbase just like Tadic. He has some amazing skills, there was a piece of close control under pressure from a high, spinning ball on Saturday which was worth the entry fee alone. But then he spends time on the periphery of the game, trying the odd thing that doesn't come off which please the groaners at St Mary's because they love to moan about something.

Personally I love those types of player. I had a bit of a man crush on Tadic and am really looking forward to watching Aribo.

Tadic is better than Aribo, but one thing Aribo has that Tadic didn't have is physicality/height. I don't think he'll be totally invisible in games for long, as he'll always be able to put himself about.

I know the touch you are on about, it was incredible. There aren't many players with a touch better than his, he can kill a ball from 90 yards.

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He's nothing remotely like Tadic. Strange comparison for me. Tadic was a cracking footballer who wasn't liked by the kind of fan who rates a player solely on goals scored or how much he runs around. 

Aribo is a different animal. Great touch, power, pace and some skill. Personally I think most fans will love him. 

11 minutes ago, egg said:

He's nothing remotely like Tadic. Strange comparison for me. Tadic was a cracking footballer who wasn't liked by the kind of fan who rates a player solely on goals scored or how much he runs around. 

Aribo is a different animal. Great touch, power, pace and some skill. Personally I think most fans will love him. 

I didn't say he played like Tadic, but I think there will be people who get frustrated with him not being consistent. That's the Tadic comparison, not his style of play.

Maybe he will be on it every game and I'll be wrong.

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Bit embarrassing that Southampton is promoting this goal to a ridiculous degree. It was a preseason friendly. Just released a video on YouTube entitled "Aribo's magic moment." Do it in a competitive match and then I'll join the hype train. 

Enjoy things like this when it happens. Might be as good as our season gets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Enjoy things like this when it happens. Might be as good as our season gets.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it, I just don't need to see it promoted with multiple angles accross different social media sites like its some sort of big achievement. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not that I didn't enjoy it, I just don't need to see it promoted with multiple angles accross different social media sites like its some sort of big achievement. 

To be fair, it's an astonishing individual goal against a quality opponent - friendly or no friendly.   Right up there with Boufal's effort v the Baggies.   The goal also showed the touch and control in tight space Aribo has, which is often the sign of a good player.

22 minutes ago, austsaint said:

To be fair, it's an astonishing individual goal against a quality opponent - friendly or no friendly.   Right up there with Boufal's effort v the Baggies.   The goal also showed the touch and control in tight space Aribo has, which is often the sign of a good player.

It was good, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as Boufal's. Some great control from Aribo, but also a fair bit of good fortune bundling through. Once Boufal and turned away from the hack at him in the middle of the park, he was in complete control of the ball until it rolled into the bottom corner.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

It was good, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as Boufal's. Some great control from Aribo, but also a fair bit of good fortune bundling through. Once Boufal and turned away from the hack at him in the middle of the park, he was in complete control of the ball until it rolled into the bottom corner.

Plus the fact it was a friendly with no pressure. Like I said, I'll be really chuffed if he can do something similar in a competitive game but as yet he hasn't achieved anything. 

7 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Yes, I'll gladly concede Boufal's goal was better, in a game that meant more and had to be won.   Aribo's strike was fairly special just the shame.  Huge upgrade on Redmond, Elyounoussi, Tella and Djenepo.

6 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Yes, I'll gladly concede Boufal's goal was better, in a game that meant more and had to be won.   Aribo's strike was fairly special just the shame.  Huge upgrade on Redmond, Elyounoussi, Tella and Djenepo.

While I agree he looks an upgrde on all of these, it's worth remembering that Djenepo scored a wonder solo goal in one of his early games away at Sheff Utd, and we all thought we had a proper player on our hands. He's gone on to do basically fuck all except run down some blind alleys since then though.

Not saying I think Aribo will follow the same pattern, because he looks to have better all-round atributes than Moussa, but I understand Hypo's calls for people not to get too carried away by a bit of showboating in a meaningless friendly.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

While I agree he looks an upgrde on all of these, it's worth remembering that Djenepo scored a wonder solo goal in one of his early games away at Sheff Utd, and we all thought we had a proper player on our hands. He's gone on to do basically fuck all except run down some blind alleys since then though.

Not saying I think Aribo will follow the same pattern, because he looks to have better all-round atributes than Moussa, but I understand Hypo's calls for people not to get too carried away by a bit of showboating in a meaningless friendly.

Indeed. I just think saints fans have quite a low bar for success given how crap many of our more creative players have been since Tadic. 

Friendly or no friendly, it was a cracking bit of skill and a brilliantly taken goal. We seem to live in a very strange world now where something can’t be appreciated properly just for what it is. Even if he never scores again, those who saw it will remember it along with Boufal’s wonder goal and MLT’s more sublime efforts. For those who say yeah but it was only a friendly, those who play and watch football do so for moments like this. Just enjoy it FFS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Friendly or no friendly, it was a cracking bit of skill and a brilliantly taken goal. We seem to live in a very strange world now where something can’t be appreciated properly just for what it is. Even if he never scores again, those who saw it will remember it along with Boufal’s wonder goal and MLT’s more sublime efforts. For those who say yeah but it was only a friendly, those who play and watch football do so for moments like this. Just enjoy it FFS.

I think I saw jwp score a worldie in a training session six months ago soggy. You should be cracking one off over that as well. Rather like your ex wife, some of us have higher standards. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If he does it against Spurs though then show it as much as you like! He hasn't achieved anything yet... 

I’ve watched most Rangers games for the last two or three seasons. That’s how Aribo plays.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

And once he demonstrates that in the best league in the world then we can all be happy. Until then it's just potential. 

Get a feeling some might not be... they'll probably say it was a fluke and request they repeat the feat.

Low blow to rake over a posters previous marriage too, not necessary.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Get a feeling some might not be... they'll probably say it was a fluke and request they repeat the feat.

Low blow to rake over a posters previous marriage too, not necessary.

Don't think it's worth speculating about some fantasy scenario before it's happened. When boufal scored his goal there was a load of hype and rightly so. 

13 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think I saw jwp score a worldie in a training session six months ago soggy. You should be cracking one off over that as well. Rather like your ex wife, some of us have higher standards. 

Is this going to go on all season between you two?