Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

Just now, Lighthouse said:

So who’s missing from our ‘best team’? A CB who’s never played in England before and an unfit LB who’s probably good for an hour, max?

Who was out of position, aside from a LWB when we had no fully fit LBs?

I'd say Valery was out of position, he's first and foremost a full back and a poor one at that. He can look reasonable at centre back if he's recovering/making last ditch tackles due to his turn of pace, but in the main his positioning and sloppiness on the ball isn't best suited when the oppo are on top of you like Spurs were. He's prone to panicking and giving it away.

I'd argue that we should have started with Perraud, if he's only good for an hour then sub him at that point. I'm bored with the Moussa experiment, anywhere on the pitch.

It's also a tiny failing of our transfer window that we've managed to go into the start of the season with players out of position. We should have sorted full back out before now imo.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So who’s missing from our ‘best team’? A CB who’s never played in England before and an unfit LB who’s probably good for an hour, max?

Who was out of position, aside from a LWB when we had no fully fit LBs?

Who was out of position?!

Valery. Djenepo. S Armstrong. Aribo.

Your point re the new CB makes little sense to me. He's played a season in the Bundesliga. He's a proper CB. Are you honestly advocating playing Valery ahead of him?

Would you really rather see Djenepo start at LWB/LB ahead of Perraud who may have given us an hour there?

It's pretty obvious that you're out on a limb here mate. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 2

I can see the reason why they didn't feel it was right to start ABK away at spurs, given that we had a young kid in DM, a young kid in goal. They probably didn't want to go all in with inexperience through the spine, that is the logic I can put and understand in regard to that. I'd have probably gone with Lyanco or Stephens instead of Valery though, but his pace in a 3 probably edged it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St. Ciervo said:

August has a brutal lineup for us. I tend to be an optimist, but I foresee dropping the first 5 games. I expect many of you will get your manager change at that point. It is tough to argue against it.

So you don't want a change of manager I take it? How do you think Ralph will turn things around to get out of the downward spiral he is on?

57 minutes ago, St. Ciervo said:

August has a brutal lineup for us. I tend to be an optimist, but I foresee dropping the first 5 games. I expect many of you will get your manager change at that point. It is tough to argue against it.

People here seem to want Ralph out, well, form has been terrible since Christmas and today's signs are a bit gloomy but SR have invested and chosen players the management has identified so they are unlikely to sack the man they have backed. We've got these players on quite long contracts, if they do well we will lose them but if they are crap we are stuck with them and their wages for a long while. A manager's life is not an easy one. And who would we get? If Poch was willing I would say 'yes please, tomorrow' but apart from him--who?

• Like 1

Just now, Roger said:

I agree with everything s-Clarke says. Can I ask if you think Ralph is instructed that we only buy young players? 

Depends if you consider Joe Aribo to be ‘old’ at 26 I suppose (25 when we bought him, he’s just turned 26).

3 minutes ago, Roger said:

I agree with everything s-Clarke says. Can I ask if you think Ralph is instructed that we only buy young players? 

It's clearly a club policy, not just from this season but it started from last year. I don't know if it's an instruction of sort, but the model seems to be...buy young, talented players for smaller fees, feed them up, get them to reach their potential and then double the money when we sell them. If we get it right it could be great, if we don't then we're only going one way.

There is still room for more experience though, and I'm not talking 30 somethings. I want to see some players in the region of 23/24/25/26 who have a couple of league seasons behind them and I'm sure the club will sanction that should the right players become available. (As we did with Aribo)

Edited by S-Clarke

I don’t think it’s a great advertisement for our signings when we have valery starting, stephens should have been let go ages ago not sure he’s even championship and djnepo. The Adam’s thing is just mad. 
team should be 

bazuna 

Kwp katchup Salissu perraud 

Jwp lavia 

aribo Armstrong 

Adams ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Who was out of position?!

Valery. Djenepo. S Armstrong. Aribo.

Your point re the new CH makes little sense to me. He's played a season in the Bundesliga. He's a proper CB. Are you honestly advocating playing Valery ahead of him?

Would you really rather see Djenepo start at LWB/LB ahead of Perraud who may have given us an hour there?

It's pretty obvious that you're out on a limb here mate. 

Valera’s best position is clearly on the right side of a back three. It’s the only place he’s ever looked vaguely competent and he certainly isn’t a RB in a four.

Djenepo I’ve already given you, with the stipulation that it was out of necessity. We have nobody who can play 90 mins available so someone was going to end up there.

S.Arm/Aribo he was clearly trying to mix things up but again, what other options were there? Clearly something is up with Adams and we have no other strikers available.

I am willing to accept Valery starting ahead of ABK because it’s a very tough fixture to be throwing new faces into. Sometimes experience and familiarity is more important than outright ability. They’re already playing in front of a new GK and behind a new CM.

55 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not about the shape....

Take some responsibility Ralph instead of singling out the own goal and making out that killed the game for us. Just for once say you got selections/tactics/decisions wrong and own the dross you are presiding over.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's clearly a club policy, not just from this season but it started from last year. I don't know if it's an instruction of sort, but the model seems to be...buy young, talented players for smaller fees, feed them up, get them to reach their potential and then double the money when we sell them. If we get it right it could be great, if we don't then we're only going one way.

There is still room for more experience though, and I'm not talking 30 somethings. I want to see some players in the region of 23/24/25/26 who have a couple of league seasons behind them and I'm sure the club will sanction that should the right players become available. (As we did with Aribo)

Do you agree that these owners have more ambition and money behind them though? Listening to saint garrett looks like Ralph hasn’t got long.

53 minutes ago, Dman said:

Still banging this drum then is he. Continuously throwing his players under the bus is old Ralph. 

he’s had 4 years to teach them how to do their job properly. If he can’t, then let’s get someone in who can then please 👍

Yes, I'm afraid he's of the 'Not my fault guv' persona. You're paid a massive salary Ralph so don't hide behind others when you continue to screw up.

The problem is that we all knew we were getting stuffed before ko; there was no belief that the manager would “out think” the opposition. Instead, Ralf played this 5-3-2 system, which we all knew was coming, which concentrates  on our (defence) weak area!  This is compounded by not playing our strongest striker. It also is not the formation that gave us so much success last year v spurs (4-2-2-2)… Which, being so intensive in energy, we know can’t last a season, BUT being the first game back was surely the best time to go for it?? 
U have been a Ralf fan but I have no confidence in his ability to turn this squad into a half decent side. I can accept that the team is full of lower quality players, but can’t accept that there is not a method to get us performing- I feel that there are numerous other managers who would get more from this squad of players: Potter, Lage, Cooper would all have plans that would make us less predictable to defeat 

• Like 3

Just now, Roger said:

Do you agree that these owners have more ambition and money behind them though? Listening to saint garrett looks like Ralph hasn’t got long.

For a start they're engaged. I don't think they're going to start blowing millions and millions, but they have provided us the cash flow to be a tiny bit more flexible and move early in this window. Spending £58m before selling isn't something we've seen for many years, so there's clearly some intent from them.

I liked the action from the summer with the backroom staff, time will tell if they should have got rid of Ralph or not at that point, but they didn't sit still. Joe Shields is also an ambitious appointment which I don't think we'd have done under previous ownership.

Sports Republic make me more positive about our future, I don't think they're daft. They've got some smart people in charge in the footballing and business side and I think they'll give Ralph the opportunity to work with these changes, they're not going to react after 1 game. But there's clearly pressure on him now IMO.

• Like 1

Back from a nice dinner which has cheered me up…

So,  positives from the game…

… tumbleweed going past…

Perraud came on, so that should mean that we don’t see Djenepo as an attacking full back again.

Djenepo and Valery both did well in their involvement for our goal. He showed a few good in attack elsewhere in the game, as did Valery. But that’s where they are at their best.

Defensively, they got easily moved out of position by Spurs who then exploited all the room they had been given time and again.

KWP had a good opening spell, but Spurs reinforced that side, and that allowed Sessignon plenty of room to run into a second open flank.

Salisu’s own goal was very poor, Bednarek gave his opponents plenty of room at times, and Stephens had his poor moments, such as dawdling on the ball, ruining one of our rare good moves. But all three were also having to move out of position to support all that space on either flank.

Lavia also looked good, particularly early on. Technically good and composed.  But Spurs overran our midfield as easily as if RalphBall v1 was in effect. He wasn’t able to put any bite in to stop that. Not that he could have done on his own anyway. It was good to see JWP involved in a more attacking way, and Romeu is technically capable further forward. But neither were able to offer that much support to the flanks or their back line. I was thinking Romeu should be the furthest back, just as he’s the best at that role.

I didn’t see AA before he joined Saints. From what I have seen, he seems to like an early instinctive shot. It would make sense if the team were set up to take advantage of that, or to know to compensate for it.

Perhaps RalphBallv2 is supposed to have our attacking fullback get lots of service into him? Perhaps the new midfield three are supposed to control the game, allowing Aribo to set things up for AA’s finishing?

Instead, we got AA running between Spurs defenders. He’s not going to hold the ball up. He’s not going to outrun people from the half way line and he’s not going to score wonder goals from there either. I can’t imagine why he’s with us, since it’s not a good match to the way we play.

I can only imagine Adams absence is due to an imminent move/ a falling out/ a massive player huff or Ralph thinking that his new tactic will turn around any second now, and being too stubborn to see that it won’t.

Aribo did okay, and had a decent chance late on. When he was more attacking, the team lost even more of the limited creativity it had.

With the likes of Djenepo and Valery running at players from deep we frequently gave the ball away. Saints struggled to put any decent passing moves together. Possession retention seemed poor. If RalphBall v2 needs a decent amount of time for its automatisms to kick in, then I’m not sure Ralph will have that luxury.

An unexpected bonus was finding out that Southampton FC is haunted. The ghost of a failed trialist goalkeeper is possessing a succession of our keepers. It’s the only explanation why all of them are so poor at kicking it. Bazunu was agile and lively. He does seem to think that having a scowly face is going to fool people into thinking he’s a top keeper. No howlers from him, unlike some of his teammates. I do miss the physical presence of Forster in there, but that’s personal preference.

When Ralphballv1 worked it was thrilling to watch. Ralph just couldn’t get us to transition from it, when it wasn’t working to find a workable compromise. Either in games or across a longer period. Today was a lot closer to the shambles at the close of last season, than when that tactic ticked. Apart from a little in the opening 15 minutes, were resoundingly second best throughout.

It was always going to be a challenge to find us a new approach, or find a solution to the deficiencies in the old one. The clock is ticking. Leeds is a game we should be looking at points from

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ecurnew02 said:

As others have said above Ralph loves to play players out of position

i think he has this fantasy that it will somehow be effective and then he will be showered with praise for his out-of-the-box master stroke thinking.

That formation proposed above by OttawaSaint is such a no-brainer, that it makes me think Ralph doesn't play something like it, because it doesn't show "tactic genius". he doesnt feel like he will get any credit for employing something so obvious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Can't see where our first point is coming from under RH. 

He's affectively killed the confidence or the team and a number of players. He looks like he hasn't got a clue.

Killed it last season around the Villa game with remarks re Bednarek having his mind elsewhere (WC play-offs). Never been right since across the team regardless of who plays and where they play. These things are corrosive in a team environment.

5 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Killed it last season around the Villa game with remarks re Bednarek having his mind elsewhere (WC play-offs). Never been right since across the team regardless of who plays and where they play. These things are corrosive in a team environment.

That Villa game did seem to be the catalyst for our plummet into oblivion.

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You are still "pro Ralph"? Crikey. Yes it is the first game of the season but have you forgotten the utter dross we exhibited in the final third of last season? Fans like you worry me. Yes positivity is good and loyalty too, but the writing has been on the wall for a long time now and the longer we ignore it (because Ralph is a nice bloke etc), the deeper the hole we will find ourselves when we finally wake up and smell the roses.

I find critical positivity far less worrying than the endless shrieking and whining we get on here.

The reason some folk are still pro Ralph is that for all the faults, struggles and frustrations, we can and have played some incredible football under him. After years of getting nothing from the big teams, he has at least made us into a team that can get points from the big six. Of course that doesn't render all the negatives meaningless, but it is a legitimate reason to try and be balanced.

We've had a transfer window unlike anything seen at the club for some time. It's perfectly logical to want and see how Ralph gets on after that, and it's insane to judge that from one game... even if that one game is supremely frustrating because we lost for all the same reasons we've been losing for months.

On balance I'd say I'm a pro Ralph'er, albeit a very tired and irritated one. Seeing names like Djenepo, Valery, Stephens and AA on the team sheet was massively deflating after what felt like an exciting window. And I fully concede that this run can only go on for so long and I'm sure everyone is in agreement - SR included - that if there isn't some positive change very soon, the time will have come for Ralph to leave us.

Edited by Ralph Fastenbüttl
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

A team consisting of Valery, Bednarek, Djenepo and Adam Armstrong....cant really expect anything other than a defeat. Theres 4 players who arent good enough at this level, nearly half our team

i kinda thought our summer was about finding other players, so those wouldn't be in our starting XI.....

and then there they are out there in the season opener.

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 3

The fact Ralph can’t do the basics right doesn’t sit to nicely.

Go simple formation, 4-3-3, simple tactics. All the players can understand that. None of this 3-1-2-3-1-2-1-2 bullshit.

Sack off Bednarek from CB, I’d rather Stephens played, what he lacks in ability at least he’ll make up for in aggression and commitment.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The fact Ralph can’t do the basics right doesn’t sit to nicely.

Go simple formation, 4-3-3, simple tactics. All the players can understand that. None of this 3-1-2-3-1-2-1-2 bullshit.

Sack off Bednarek from CB, I’d rather Stephens played, what he lacks in ability at least he’ll make up for in aggression and commitment.

Ha, just said 4-3-3 on the formations thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Take some responsibility Ralph instead of singling out the own goal and making out that killed the game for us. Just for once say you got selections/tactics/decisions wrong and own the dross you are presiding over.

Their 1st goal was class,no stopping that, as was ours. 2nd was down to Bendarek losing his man Dyer of all people. Ralph put him on the pitch.

Third goal was terrible but at least he was there trying. I'm sure Djenepo had a great view, having lost the ball and put Salisu in that position. Ralph put him on the pitch and he was terrible.

4th goal Djenepo lost ball and man.

Stephens gets some crap on here which is nonsense. As soon as he came on the defense was tightened up. His body slam on a Spurs player was a rare highlight. I'm not for a minute saying he should start but as a back up he's way better than he's given credit for. We aren't owned by BP so it has to be that way.

Ralph needed KWP on the left. Put Stephens or Valery at RB. That's what other teams would do. Ben White an immediate example. 

Obviously Adams up front. Armstrong is a busted flush, even for me now.

All that is down to Ralph. I'm still 55/45 with him, but boy he is making it hard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Actually, I think he is right - third goal did kill the game.

The mood on this forum is clearly 'Ralph out' (after the first game away at a likely top four club that few would have expected us to win) that I fully expect to get stick but that's how I saw it too. That third goal came straight after a good period of possession in the attacking third in response to a lucky let-off with the offside disallowed goal from the kick-off and it completely killed the game. Not just the timing but the nature of the goal - simply awful. 

And no I'm not a blinkered 'happy clapper' in the same way most of you wouldn't call yourself bed-wetters. Yes, yes, yes I agree the tail end of last season was abysmal and we really don't need to carry that over. Some clear management flaws today - Valery a starter? Never.  Bednarek not my favourite (but in fairness did ok) Djenepo playing out of position but did ok IMO (Perraud clearly not match-fit after injury), no Adams (something going on, I expect it's the Forest offer) Romeu and S Armstrong looked off the pace today. KWP much better going forward than backwards, but no support up front to hold the ball up (AA totally anonymous). We do need a striker and a trusted CB (still think Lyanco might be that). 

Let's see what the Leeds game next week brings - hopefully a win and a great performance. We are typically slow-starters. I think the SR approach to the new season and investment in younger players is right. I like our hire in the Man City recruitment guy. Lavia was our best player today. Who's to say our new French striker isn't going to be good. Think we are building something. Give it a chance FFS. If I'm wrong, I'll hold my hand up - but I expect others to do the same if we come good.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

The mood on this forum is clearly 'Ralph out' (after the first game away at a likely top four club that few would have expected us to win) that I fully expect to get stick but that's how I saw it too. That third goal came straight after a good period of possession in the attacking third in response to a lucky get-off with the offside disallowed goal from the kick-off and it completely killed the game. Not just the timing but the nature of the goal - simply awful. 

And no I'm not a blinkered 'happy clapper' in the same way most of you wouldn't call yourself bed-wetters. Yes, yes, yes I agree the tail end of last season was abysmal and we really don't need to carry that over. Some clear management flaws today - Valery a starter? Never.  Bednarek not my favourite (but in fairness did ok) Djenepo playing out of position but did ok IMO (Perraud clearly not match-fit after injury), no Adams (something going on, I expect it's the Forest offer) Romeu and S Armstrong looked off the pace today. KWP much better going forward than backwards, but no support up front to hold the ball up (AA totally anonymous). We do need a striker and a trusted CB (still think Lyanco might be that). 

Let's see what the Leeds game next week brings - hopefully a win and a great performance. We are typically slow-starters. I think the SR approach to the new season and investment in younger players is right. I like our hire in the Man City recruitment guy. Lavia was our best player today. Who's to say our new French striker isn't going to be good. Think we are building something. Give it a chance FFS. If I'm wrong, I'll hold my hand up - but I expect others to do the same if we come good.

I said similar a while ago. Our fans will have to be patient. Lavia had a good game, it was his debut for goodness sake and he is 18/19. Basuma will need picking up after that mauling. 

Didn't expect anything but a Spurs win. In the end it was more emphatic than I expected, but other teams will lose there. Saints's battles are elsewhere.

Leeds is a whole different game, need to be up for that.

The issue with Ralph is that his team selections just seem to go against common sense.

He said Armstrong had scored goals. One, a tap in, in a friendly. He was as anonymous today as in pre season. Not playing Adams was a self inflicted weakening of the team.

Oh and Long scored today .... brilliant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

The third goal goal did seal the game, but only insofar as that it finalised the flow of the game and let Tottenham relax. After we scored our goal we were totally under the cosh and looked like doing nothing going forwards. Granted, for a few minutes before Spurs’ third we started to look a bit better, but we never really threatened doing anything. Let’s not forget that, almost immediately after half time, we let sessegnon run through (offside) to score, and that set our pattern for the second half after being well under the cosh for most of the first half. 

Ralph tying to claim that the third goal was any sort of turning turning point is utter nonsense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger said:

I don’t think it’s a great advertisement for our signings when we have valery starting, stephens should have been let go ages ago not sure he’s even championship and djnepo. The Adam’s thing is just mad. 
team should be 

bazuna 

Kwp katchup Salissu perraud 

Jwp lavia 

aribo Armstrong 

Adams ?

In any sane world, that would've been our starting XI today. But I doubt we'll see a line-up as simple as that all season so long as Ralph is here.

Just watched Ralph’s interview with bbc, bottom of the page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62358043

Im more convinced than ever that Ralph will be off soon. He sounded totally lost and basically said that he knows our defence is poor so he chucked in an extra defender to sort it, but that doesn’t work either. The inference i got from it is that he doesn’t really know what to do.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

The mood on this forum is clearly 'Ralph out' (after the first game away at a likely top four club that few would have expected us to win) that I fully expect to get stick but that's how I saw it too. That third goal came straight after a good period of possession in the attacking third in response to a lucky let-off with the offside disallowed goal from the kick-off and it completely killed the game. Not just the timing but the nature of the goal - simply awful. 

Djenepo was woeful. Assist or not, he is nowhere near this level of football. Flash in the pan, but entirely headless and doesn't really know what any of his running is trying to achieve. 

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Im more convinced than ever that Ralph will be off soon. He sounded totally lost and basically said that he knows our defence is poor so he chucked in an extra defender to sort it, but that doesn’t work either. The inference i got from it is that he doesn’t really know what to do.

That was it.  We are crap at the back so his answer is to play a back 5.

Please SR, get rid of him....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He has there at least admitted that this back five doesn't work.

"We thought we were better defending this way, but the reality is different."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

2 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

It’s about the only benefit from today, I suppose. Pre season should have told him this though, so that’s five games and a whole summer wasted trying to play a shape that even he says doesn’t work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dellman said:

People here seem to want Ralph out, well, form has been terrible since Christmas and today's signs are a bit gloomy but SR have invested and chosen players the management has identified so they are unlikely to sack the man they have backed. We've got these players on quite long contracts, if they do well we will lose them but if they are crap we are stuck with them and their wages for a long while. A manager's life is not an easy one. And who would we get? If Poch was willing I would say 'yes please, tomorrow' but apart from him--who?

To those who say who else would we get in if we sack Ralph I say the bar is set very low - his record in the last 13 games is 5 points, 3 of which were the somewhat fortunate win against Arsenal with a goal difference of minus 24 - so the question should really be, who could we get who could do any worse?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dellman said:

And who would we get? If Poch was willing I would say 'yes please, tomorrow' but apart from him--who?

Such a silly question.

Get someone else. Just like Pochettino was someone else once. Just like Ralph was someone else once. He wasn't some universally suggested name on this forum at the time. Adkins wasn't either. Koeman wasn't. They were just someone else.

I think Sports Republic have some ideas.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

All summer to plan for it and almost a full squad to choose from, and he comes up with that absolute mess of a side. 

Leaving Adams on the bench in favour of an out of position midfielder up front is so obtuse, it's genuinely farcical. 

That was an absolute tactical shambles today. He's had ages and still doesn't have a clue what his best formation or first XI is. Confused thinking and square pegs in round holes all over the place. 

What was even more concerning was how quickly the heads went down. In the past, even when we were really shit, we had really limited players who put in some fighting back-to-the-walls performances to rescue something from games, or just to avoid a hiding. Didn't see any of that today. As soon as the third one went in we just meekly accepted getting tonked, and on day one of the season, that is worrying. 

Unless we improve drastically in terms of tactics, organisation and mentality, we are bang in trouble. And I hate to say it as I've always liked Ralph as a bloke, but I'm just not sure he's got it in him to do it. He just looks lost to me. 

Need to beat Leeds, and convincingly. If we can manage that then maybe we can build from there. But he's had time, and he's been backed - there are no excuses left now. 

Spot on

6 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Is it unfashionable to say that Salisu is not actually that good? He seems to get a free pass with all the criticism being aimed at Bednarek and co (they deserve it too), but Salisu’s been gash for a while.

Expected nothing today but was hoping to see some shoots of change. Same old same old.

Yeah there was the Ramadan excuse towards the end of last season. Yes it obviously affected his energy levels, but hes been making stupid mistakes or having lapses of concentration for a while now. No excuses today and that og was nothing short of pathetic. A player who cant even use his right foot.

Dont know how we manage it but we almost always look defensively worse when we go with 5 at the back. Even had two defensively minded midfielders in front of the 5 and still shipped 4 goals. Just go back to 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 please. We're likely going to concede most games, but better to give ourselves a chance with more attacking options on the pitch.

The club needs to seriously look at bringing in another CB (hopefully more experienced). Obviously that will depend on moving Bednarek and another CB on, and whos going to be interested in him after todays effort

• Like 1

Such a depressing, but oh so predictable start to the season. Yes, Ralph seems like a nice guy; a quality that would be important if he was marrying my daughter, or something, but as the manager of my football team has absolutely no relevance what so ever. Why is he still here? His selections are questionable, his tactics are questionable, his substitutions are questionable; worse of all, apart from Ward Prowse, all of our players, whether they were here when Ralph came, or have been signed since he arrived, seem to have gone backwards in their development. Bottom of the table and likely to stay there, sadly.

• Like 10

Ralph out sooner rather than later on that selection. Yes it was Spurs, and I expected us to get tonked 4-0, so a better result than I expected. However, Che and AA should have been up top, leaving AA isolated then dragging him after 45 is shocking abuse. Aribo and Stu in behind with two solid DM's - one of which should be JWP (he can play a more advanced role against less powerful opponents). Stu Armstrong is the best player at the club, can't believe he started on the bench. You play a 3 man defence if you have three top quality defenders. We started with Bednarek, Valery and Salisu (worst own goal technically I've ever

seen in the Premier League). He has to go because he won't change - we've see it all before with his stubbornness.

Edited by Kingsbridge Saint
flow
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LGTL said:

Like much of last season - pointless game with a pointless bunch of players and a pointless manager.

That's it really. Lost any enthusiasm I had to do any more aways. 

I can't even be bothered to respond fully any more. Money and the 'riches' of the Premium League are killing not just football but sport in general. Where has the fun gone? I'd rather see a team enjoying themselves and having fun than the deadly serious sh*te we're served. Southampton forever, just go out and express yourselves and enjoy it. Rather that than just trying to make money for no one.

• Like 6