Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

Just now, Saints foreva said:

Because Blackmore is scared that the club will restrict their access. 

No point having the interviews then because they are drab and meaningless. If it is ok to heap praise when we win then man-up and take the flak when we constantly get hammered.

12 minutes ago, Golac's Iron Gonads said:

The result's not the worrying part, the worrying thing is playing a left winger as a wing back, a second string RB at CB, and our least effective forward up front on his own. Then bringing on Stephens for Valery and I'm still not sure what position Stu Armstrong has taken up, On top of that, a shellacking like this is not what you want when JWP and KWP are getting their heads turned by big spenders. If you were KWP would you be looking forward to the season after this?

All those transfer's made so far and still we cant put the right player in the right position STILL. How many more times ?do we not know  how to play?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, northam soul said:

What I want to know is why we are playing with 2 midfielders up front.

It’s a fucking mess. All summer to sort the squad out and we’ve just brought a load of kids who might have a sell on value in a couple of years. 

• Like 7

Just now, trousers said:

Ralph again testing the patience of those of us in benefit-of-the-doubt club. If no improvement over the first 5 games or so then I'm signing up for the Ralph Out club

why the next 5?  look at the state of us for the last 3rd of the previous season.  Look at the state of us today, and that is after the whole of pre season preparing for it.

He is a busted flush and needs to leave the club soonest.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Disappointing result but not that unexpected. Lots of young / inexperienced players vs one of the best attacks in world football - and it showed. Once the nerves set it they wobbled and gave away some soft goals.

Concerning, and i don't think we have the players currently to play that formation. Djenpo, Valery, Bednarek, and Stephens. We can't be playing games vs the top 4 with 3 of those players starting in defence. Hopefully we can learn from that and make a few key additions (CB and ST) to go into the next ones.

Still some signs of promise within it all. JWP, Lavia, and KWP had good games for me.
Ultimately we'll have to bear with this side as they bed in. Lots of new / young faces, and last seasons' squad fillers around them just aren't up to standard. Could be a rocky start.

Very unconvinced by the tactic - would much rather see a 4-2-3-1 etc.

Edited by Saint86

Ok, so I'm giving him the next 2 games. No wins or at the very least no genuine sign that things are coming together in those and that's me off the fence. Time to fuck off. Never expected anything from today but the manner of the defeat, the sense that fuck all has changed, the 1 win in 14 now and counting. Too much. 

• Like 2

Did anyone really expect anything else? We haven't strengthened. We bought kids as future investment, which is a waste of time if we drop out of this league. Same issues as last season. But at least we can sub 5 crap for 5 crap players during a match.

Not really sure what direction the club wants to go in. Down, by looks of that performance.

• Like 1

I staggered there’s people out there still giving him the benefit of the doubt and a string of games to fix things. Nothing, absolutely nothing has changed. We’re not sleep walking towards relegation……..we’re wide awake and know exactly what’s coming.

• Like 4

Well this result can only spur the club on to bring in the players we keep saying we need. That's 2 strikers, another 10, a full back and probably another CB. So nearly half the team still needs to be improved. That's just great.

We are relegation fodder as it stands. Yes it's a long season but it's blatently obvious we aren't good enough, or ready enough, yet. Granted today was Spurs though, who will most likely finish 3rd if not higher, but we didn't help ourselves. We did stop Kane and Son scoring though...

Leeds next week will be the acid test. Win that and we can restore some dignity, and hope, for the season ahead. Lose or draw and we then have Leicester, United and Chelsea. 

The problem with the whole philosophy of 'ball orientated defending' is that unless it's done perfectly it leaves us wide open. There was an interesting interview recently with one of the players - can't remember which - saying that one of the reasons that it takes time to adjust to Ralph's style is that it goes against everything that you've been taught in your career to date to leave your man and rush towards the ball, leaving your man open. Against good opponents they so often seem to be able to get past our press with a nice turn or quick 1-2, and then we're wide open. I also think all of the mad rushing around leaves virtually all of our players knackered. I've backed Ralph for a long long time and we've enjoyed some good times with him in charge (runs of games, rather than whole seasons...). I find myself comparing the way we play now to how we played under Poch and Koeman and we're now so much more vulnerable, and yes the average calibre of player is probably lower, but I also think the tactics play a big part. Some might say 'brave', others would say stupid. It's like that season that Norwich went down while convincingly losing virtually every game. Yes they had an 'identity', but they were also very easy for half decent teams to beat...

Edited by mcbendy
Typo

Positives

Bazunu was nervous but I think definitely looks a player. Lavia was very composed. KWP was KWP. Aribo looks very good when we can get him on the ball. Perraud got on and hopefully will be available to start next week.

Negatives

3 at the back is awful and leaves us too exposed. KWP does his best on the right but is let down by the system, Djenepo is most of the time not good enough at this level and certainly not when he is playing out of position. Our CBs are an accident waiting to happen and are all as bad as each other in one way or another. If Ketchup can’t get in that line up ahead of Valery and Stephens then god help us. Adam Armstrong is not a lone striker, felt sorry for him but he was just awful. Che Adams must’ve had a row with Ralph or is off, neither is good. 

Overall, a very meh out of ten.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 8

Lots of problems, i dont think anyone ever expected us to beat spurs but selecting valery and bednerak for me is like we havent learnt from the last 3 yrs.

I am not sure i really know how we can fix our team, would a new manager make our strikers better, should we try another formation and go back to 4-2-2-2.

If i was gonna blame players for the spurs goals I'd go,

1. Sess - KWP should of done better or whoever was meant to close down the dude crossing.

2. Dier - Bedernak left him open

3. Salisu - himself

4. Kuluskevski - Djnepo for not following him

• Like 1

Difficulty is - on paper and no matter how you dress it up - our first XI is very weak in comparison to the rest of the league. There is nothing at all wrong with buying talented youngsters and hoping for future return but in terms of immediate improvement on last season there was none and hard to argue we’ve gone backwards (AA a massive downgrade on Broja, Yan in a back three etc.). We’ve made an encouraging amount of signings this summer but when Stephens is getting on ahead of ABK and Mara isn’t even on the bench it’s a bit of a concern given how bad we were last year. A first team striker before the window is an absolute must otherwise it’s going to be an almighty slog.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

Ralph again testing the patience of those of us in benefit-of-the-doubt club. If no improvement over the first 5 games or so then I'm signing up for the Ralph Out club

Why?

This is the worst squad of players we have ever had in the PL

• Confused 2

Adam Armstong did nothing should be loaned or sold and upgraded ASAP. 

Djenepo gives me no confidence when playing football. Is like a headless chicken fighting against own decision making. 

Valery Shouldn't be near this squad is prone to switching off. 

Prowse, KWP, Aribo and Lavia looked like the only ones putting some form of shift in. 

Conclusions 

Tactically awful, Massively weak up top and beaten at the back by two crosses....

Plenty to work on ! 

• Like 1

How can we honestly expect anything different? 
Same pathetic defence & attack 

Still bringing the likes of Stephens on! 🙄 

Sadly, it will be yet another year of hoping 3 teams are worse than us!

• Like 1

Positives

Bazunu was nervous but I think definitely looks a player. Lavia was very composed. KWP was KWP. Aribo looks very good when we can get him on the ball. Perraud got on and hopefully will be available to start next week.

Negatives

3 at the back is awful and leaves us too exposed. KWP does his best on the right but is let down by the system, Djenepo is most of the time not good enough at this level and certainly not when he is playing out of position. Our CBs are an accident waiting to happen and are all as bad as each other in one way or another. If Ketchup can’t get in that line up ahead of Valery and Stephens then god help us. Adam Armstrong is not a lone striker, felt sorry for him but he was just awful. Che Adams must’ve had a row with Ralph or is off, neither is good. 

Overall, a very meh out of ten.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic