January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

20 minutes ago, DT said:

We need to stuff a load of money Ings' way. We're that desperate.

If he's injury free, and open to it, let's chuck the cash at him. Beggars can't be choosers, and if fit he WILL score you goals.....especially those that Che has missed this season!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The standard story being followed here by the sounds of it. Link us with an exciting sought after talent early on in the window, try over the coming weeks to sign them, fail, get to the final 2 days and proclaim how hard January is and then sign Akpom as the headline signing at the 11th hour.

Trying not to be cynical, but I've heard this story so many times.

• Like 8

Quite excited by the Beto link as well - not just the highlights this proper scouting report seems to rate him a lot as well and sounds like the sort of forward we need.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EP1EMLywdjf3ljfFgvAOoQboR_NCfqOO/view

Born on January 31, 1998 in Lisbon, Portugal, Norberto Bercique Gomes Betuncal, better known as Beto, is a young and talented Portuguese striker originally from Guinea-Bissau. Beto arrived in black and white after a season as a protagonist in the team of Portimonense in Liga NOS, scoring 11 times and providing 3 assists in 30 league games. This year he started very strong, scoring two goals in his first three outings of the season in Portugal before moving to Italy,where now with the Udinese shirt in the first 10 appearances he has scored 4 goal.

Beto is a modern striker who despite his 194cm and with a great physical setting, he is a player who has the gift of speed, then sudden snap in the goal area and the ability to attack the goal. The Lusitanian class of 98 thanks to this important physicality manages to make a great job when he plays with his back to goal, he's a footballer I'm used to contact play and that feels comfortable with him when he meets strong defenders physically. Beto plays the role of point of reference for Udinese, where often, with his back to goal, he tries to play on the side with his teammates keeping the defender behind him, even if he then lacks in technical quality of the pass (definitely to be improved) when he loses or makes a mistake, he has always an immediate reaction when running and trying to recover the ball lost.

Beto has all the features and skills to be able to play as a tower, in fact, very often when he receives a high ball, he not only manages to spit the ball
ball towards his teammates on the wings, but with his speed he is able to be ready in the penalty area to conclude the action. The air game it's one of his specialties, already scoring 2 out of 4 headers marked so far.

The strong physical structure of him allows him to protect the ball very well and make space between the defenders, where he is good at jumping the man even with the dribbling, in fact, is a player who, if required, can also play from offensive right winger thanks to his good ball-and-chain skills and speed.

In movements without the ball, especially with the ball uncovered, the young player attacker likes to play on the opponent's defense line and then attack the depth, where he often comes across to bring the defender and then exploit the speed of him to attack space. Very good at getting away with a
circular movement, in fact he often looks at the central defense, so as to have a reference so as not to remain offside. Beto is a gamer
kidnapped despite the physical tonnage, able to turn the body when it is of shoulders to the goal, to receive the high ball in order to immediately kick in
brings.

Beto has so far shown that he has already adapted well to the change of championship, having all the cards in order to have an excellent season. In this start of the season, in fact, Beto has already become a point of reference for Gotti's team, and it will be very interesting to follow the player in
this first experience in Serie A with the Udinese shirt.

Edited by Convict Colony

3 minutes ago, way down south said:

Ings would be good as a temporary fix. But all things considered chances of that happening are slim I think. Throwing upwards of 100k in wages at a 34? Yr old doesn't sound like what the club does atm.

Thought he was 30

3 minutes ago, way down south said:

Ings would be good as a temporary fix. But all things considered chances of that happening are slim I think. Throwing upwards of 100k in wages at a 34? Yr old doesn't sound like what the club does atm.

Since when is he 34?

He's only 30.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Since when is he 34?

He's only 30.

Sorry my bad. But point is I think the wages and fee likely to be required to bring him back IF he wanted to be back that is, would be out of range. Plus I doubt he'd wanna be back here a third time after leaving so quick when many would've expected him to stay longer last time out.

1 minute ago, way down south said:

Sorry my bad. But point is I think the wages and fee likely to be required to bring him back IF he wanted to be back that is, would be out of range. Plus I doubt he'd wanna be back here a third time after leaving so quick when many would've expected him to stay longer last time out.

He will go to the biggest payer

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Do you think the clubs just sticking a load of names out there because the fans are fed up with the fact there is nothing happening?!

Sounds like it. 

Tbh, the way the club is being ran at the minute, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re searching through the #saintsfc hashtag on Twitter to find potential candidates 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, cloggy saint said:

This is day 3 of the transfer window, a bit early to say that nothing's happening.

If I’ve learnt anything about this club in recent years it’s, if you see a name or a few names linked, instantly rule them out. 

If you start to see the same name cropping up for a few weeks, you’re not getting anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

We're in a desperate situation. We should have announced at least 1 already. Especially given how the fixtures have panned out.

Sit tight and see what happens. If nothing's changed for the better by January 31st, then you can get pissed off.

• Like 1

Just now, cloggy saint said:

Sit tight and see what happens. If nothing's changed for the better by January 31st, then you can get pissed off.

This is silly though. We play Forest H, Everton A & Villa H in January. 

If we haven't brought anyone in to have an impact in those three massive games then they've already fucked up.

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Cheers Mr Semmens for your insight.  I suggest you look at the fixture list. We probably need 8 or 9 wins, and I've highlighted the ones in red we have a chance of winning.

Jan
Forest (H)
Everton (A)
Villa (H)

Feb
Brentford (A)
Wolves (H)
Chelsea (A)
Leeds (A)

Mar
Leicester (H)
Man Utd (A)
Spurs (H)
West Ham (A)

Apr
Man City (H)
Palace (H)
Arsenal (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Newcastle (A)

May
Forest (A)
Fulham (H)

Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)

The 31st January is a month too late.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 8

It's almost as if the hierarchy expected us to do well against Brighton and Fulham and didn't therefore anticipate the desperate situation we would find ourselves in had that not been the case.  Much like the Titanic, we are probably now trying to rapidly rectify the situation, but it's probably too late.  

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Will be all but relegated by then if nothing has changed

Yep, it'll be too late by then. We've got a decent run of game now once we get into Feb We play Wolves at home in a massive 6 pointer, Chelsea, Brentford and Leeds away, possibly get a point at Leeds but nothing from Chelsea and Brentford, then in March and April we play all the current top 5, plus WHU away, Palace and Bournemouth at home. Can honestly only see very maximum of 11 points from that lot, more likely 6 or 7. If we go into that run of games with this lot and the manager we'll be down by with quite a few games to spare

32 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Do you think the clubs just sticking a load of names out there because the fans are fed up with the fact there is nothing happening?!

No I think that we'll sign 2 players but be linked with around 8 or 9 a day just like most other clubs.

Just now, Toussaint said:

To be fair, put in to context, this is the actual quote 

But you can’t change the absolute direction of a football club in a few weeks. With the greatest respect, I want to manage expectations here.”

I am no fan of Jones, but he is making a fair point here.  We have been proper crap for a long time and this situation has been coming and not his fault.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Cheers Mr Semmens for your insight.  I suggest you look at the fixture list. We probably need 8 or 9 wins, and I've highlighted the ones in red we have a chance of winning.

Jan
Forest (H)
Everton (A)
Villa (H)

Feb
Brentford (A)
Wolves (H)
Chelsea (A)
Leeds (A)

Mar
Leicester (H)
Man Utd (A)
Spurs (H)
West Ham (A)

Apr
Man City (H)
Palace (H)
Arsenal (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Newcastle (A)

May
Forest (A)
Fulham (H)

Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)

If you look at things very simply, West Ham in 17th are currently averaging 0.82 points per game.  If that continues then they would end up with only ~32 points, meaning we "ONLY" need ~20 more points to stay up (7 wins).  Highly unlikely that things continue that way but I guess it underlines that there are some really garbage teams in the Premier League this year and that a very low total may keep you up.

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

To be fair, put in to context, this is the actual quote 

But you can’t change the absolute direction of a football club in a few weeks. With the greatest respect, I want to manage expectations here.”

Weird how other new managers get wins straight away though.

19 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Jan
Forest (H)
Everton (A)
Villa (H)

Feb
Brentford (A)
Wolves (H)
Chelsea (A)
Leeds (A)

Mar
Leicester (H)
Man Utd (A)
Spurs (H)
West Ham (A)

Apr
Man City (H)
Palace (H)
Arsenal (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Newcastle (A)

May
Forest (A)
Fulham (H)

Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)

Looking at that, I have gone with us getting  14 points from them games and I went against my intuition to give us a couple of wins. Bleak, really bleak

Edited by Mr Nimbus

45 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

This is just daft. There are available points between now and then that are made easier with new and better personnel in. But like always we wait until the end of the window, losing 12 points in the process. Club is riddled with false economies. Pay peanuts, you get monkeys

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Looking at that, I have gone with us getting  14 points from them games and I went against my intuition to give us a couple of wins. Bleak, really bleak

It is bleak, no question.

The only comfort to cling onto is that we currently have seven clubs above us with between one and five more points on the board.  At present we have to outscore Wolves by two points and both West Ham and Nottingham Forest by three points over more than half a season to stay up.  That's certainly not impossible, especially if we grab a win by any means possible tomorrow night (which could potentially make up that shortfall immediately).

I'm trying to stay positive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

The standard story being followed here by the sounds of it. Link us with an exciting sought after talent early on in the window, try over the coming weeks to sign them, fail, get to the final 2 days and proclaim how hard January is and then sign Akpom as the headline signing at the 11th hour.

Trying not to be cynical, but I've heard this story so many times.

We signed a bunch of players early in the window this summer, including some big talents who were sought after by other clubs. We also missed out on some ambitious targets.

It's not really fair to cherrypick the failures. Fans are the first to complain if we sign average players and aren't ambitious

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

It is bleak, no question.

The only comfort to cling onto is that we currently have seven clubs above us with between one and five more points on the board.  At present we have to outscore Wolves by two points and both West Ham and Nottingham Forest by three points over more than half a season to stay up.  That's certainly not impossible, especially if we grab a win by any means possible tomorrow night (which could potentially make up that shortfall immediately).

I'm trying to stay positive.

If we can get a goalscoring striker then we might start getting points out of some of these games

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We signed a bunch of players early in the window this summer, including some big talents who were sought after by other clubs. We also missed out on some ambitious targets.

It's not really fair to cherrypick the failures. Fans are the first to complain if we sign average players and aren't ambitious

To be fair, the fans are complaining because we signed some big talents in the summer and then proceded to turn them into utter dog shit.

56 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Jan
Forest (H)
Everton (A)
Villa (H)

Feb
Brentford (A)
Wolves (H)
Chelsea (A)
Leeds (A)

Mar
Leicester (H)
Man Utd (A)
Spurs (H)
West Ham (A)

Apr
Man City (H)
Palace (H)
Arsenal (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Newcastle (A)

May
Forest (A)
Fulham (H)

Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)

To put it into perspective we probably need to win as many games in our last 19 as we won in the whole of 2022, possibly more.