January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

We would need to ship McCarthy and/or Willy out to free up space for this. Cant see their being many takers given their wage demands and lack of gametime. We could always cancel Willy's contract though

We're not canceling his contract.

It's amazing, we had a clean slate in which to construct our team of keepers and we ended up with Bazunu, McCarthy, Willy and Lis. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Gakpo says he was close to joining Leeds but doesn't mention Saints what so ever.

As I thought, we were nowhere near signing him and it was just talk to appease the fans. 

“It ended about a week before the end of the transfer window and in that week I had to decide if I would go to Leeds or Southampton,” Gakpo said.

“In the end I stayed, but it was a stressful period. I always said if I stay here, it’s my childhood club. It’s not a punishment. I like being here, I want to win trophies here and do my best for the club.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23060554.amp/

• Like 1

Watching Lorient this afternoon, beat Angers 2-1 away (Yan Valery at right back). Moffi only touched the ball a couple of times, never seemed to get into decent positions. Certainly on his last two games he doesn't look like he would be a lot of use unless he is spoon fed chances close in and that isn't going to happen. He looks athletic, mostly trots and we have too many of those, and its difficult to see if he has any pace because he made no sprints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

so hard to assess him. He never touches the ball. I notice that he doesn't just stand still. He does at least look to make runs on the shoulder, but he's never found.

Never touching the ball doesn't fill me with confidence that he's the crack marksman our dire situation requires. Not just standing still offers some hope though I guess.

4 hours ago, saints-til-i-die said:

If it’s 4-3-3

GK - signing needed (loan?)

DR - KWP

DC - ABK

DC - DCC

DL - Perraud

DM - Lavia

CM - new signing desperately needed

AM - Edozie

AM - S. Armstrong (or new signing) - not a winger... 

ST- Adams (or new signing)

That’s depressing 

What? 😅 

It is not going to be a 4-3-3 under SR for starters. We replaced the coaching setup, signed players for, and seemingly tried to get Ralph to switch to 5 at the back in the summer. Then we hired a new mananger who plays 5 at the back. If there was any interest in 4-3-3 I'm not seeing it, to me the "playbook" (and 4-2-2-2 or 4-3-3 high press/turnover and possession based football) is dead in the water.

But even if it was a midfield 3, a trio of JWP, lavia, and stu Armstrong would be fine for a starting 11 - the issue is we have no cover for lavia at CDM. Your post seems to imply that JWP needs replacing as a CM... He is frankly out best player even now? 🙄 Stuart Armstrong is not a winger, so not sure if thats a typo and you meant adam Armstrong? 

Whereas for Adam Armstrong and/or Che Adams as attacker's, the statement of "or new signing", is not strong enough by any measure - we absolutely HAVE to sign a striker who can finish the chances we create... And a new winger is also required. 

So regardless of formation, we need a striker, a CDM, and if possible a good winger. span widget

Edited by Saint86

42 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Anyone out there who knows Ings reckon he would come back?

Apparently still has a house down here unlikely this will happen unless Villa bring a striker in! Would be great but so unlikely my guess is we will bring some lower league French teenager in 🤯

4 minutes ago, St Lej said:

Apparently still has a house down here unlikely this will happen unless Villa bring a striker in! Would be great but so unlikely my guess is we will bring some lower league French teenager in 🤯

didn’t he live in Botley? He would be good, looked great for villa earlier when he came on, though he is still a twat. 

4 hours ago, saints-til-i-die said:

If it’s 4-3-3

GK - signing needed (loan?)

DR - KWP

DC - ABK

DC - DCC

DL - Perraud

DM - Lavia

AM - Edozie

AM - S. Armstrong (or new signing)

ST- Adams (or new signing)

That’s depressing 

No space for JWP in the squad?

37 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

What? 😅 

It is not going to be a 4-3-3 under SR for starters. We replaced the coaching setup, signed players for, and seemingly tried to get Ralph to switch to 5 at the back in the summer. Then we hired a new mananger who plays 5 at the back. If there was any interest in 4-3-3 I'm not seeing it, to me the "playbook" (and 4-2-2-2 or 4-3-3 high press/turnover and possession based football) is dead in the water.

But even if it was a midfield 3, a trio of JWP, lavia, and stu Armstrong would be fine for a starting 11 - the issue is we have no cover for lavia at CDM. Your post seems to imply that JWP needs replacing as a CM... He is frankly out best player even now? 🙄 Stuart Armstrong is not a winger, so not sure if thats a typo and you meant adam Armstrong? 

Whereas for Adam Armstrong and/or Che Adams as attacker's, the statement of "or new signing", is not strong enough by any measure - we absolutely HAVE to sign a striker who can finish the chances we create... And a new winger is also required. 

So regardless of formation, we need a striker, a CDM, and if possible a good winger. span widget

I said AM for S. Armstrong rather than a winger. I think they’d be narrower. James Ward Prowse is one of the biggest problems we have at this club. He is forced into the starting 11 when he’s been dreadful. It’s Sideways Ward Prowse. He does nothing. One goal in a blue moon is not good enough. The fact he is captain sums up the awful situation.

JWP is NOT our best player right now. He is the problem.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

I said AM for S. Armstrong rather than a winger. I think they’d be narrower. James Ward Prowse is one of the biggest problems we have at this club. He is forced into the starting 11 when he’s been dreadful. It’s Sideways Ward Prowse. He does nothing. One goal in a blue moon is not good enough. The fact he is captain sums up the awful situation.

Who do you suggest we play instead of him?

4 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Hes having to play deeper due to Lavia's injury and Romeu being moved on (and not being adequately replaced) which doesnt suit him. If he was able to play more advanced he could affect the game more (Spurs away last season was a great example).

While he hasnt been good this season compared to previous ones, he's still our second top scorer. His goals last season also went a long way to ensuring our safety. 

We need better squad depth as he deserves to be dropped at times but we've nobody to replace him with. As much as you dislike him, hes not the problem

• Like 5

1 hour ago, derry said:

Watching Lorient this afternoon, beat Angers 2-1 away (Yan Valery at right back). Moffi only touched the ball a couple of times, never seemed to get into decent positions. Certainly on his last two games he doesn't look like he would be a lot of use unless he is spoon fed chances close in and that isn't going to happen. He looks athletic, mostly trots and we have too many of those, and its difficult to see if he has any pace because he made no sprints.

might be trying to not get injured ?

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

might be trying to not get injured ?

He is still being paid good money by Lorient If that's what he's doing then he doesn't have the character we need. I don't want to see him going through the motions when we need him to bust a gut every game. He's nowhere near doing that, not even getting involved.

7 minutes ago, derry said:

He is still being paid good money by Lorient If that's what he's doing then he doesn't have the character we need. I don't want to see him going through the motions when we need him to bust a gut every game. He's nowhere near doing that, not even getting involved.

VVD played superbly for us in the few weeks before he joined 'Pool.

If memory serves.....

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Can't agree on jwp at all, but ofc you are welcome to the oppion and it's interesting to hear it. For me he's having to play with very little support in CM, and with dross in front of him. Despite that, he's still dictating a lot of our plays, with some great diagonals and through balls recently even - issue is he's covering so much ground, playing deeper, and has limited movement / space / quality to hit in front of him.

A couple of good examples of good through balls were evident vs fulham (to put edozie through on goal from the wide position where he was then narrowly beaten out by the defenders) - a fully grown 22-23 year old athlete gets an extra yard of apce / strength to score those... I don't think enough of his detractors notice these plays personally, they just get lost in the general malaise / lack of quality from our attacker's re doing anything meaningful with them... Or more to the point, people remember the horrendous misses and not the passes that create that chance. 

Anyway, its an interesting oppinion on him ofc, I just don't think we desperately need a jwp replacement at this point in time. By the point that becomes a priority we will have a very tidy side - or he'll be in his mid 30's... I still remain glad we've got a player like him in the side, and one who is so committed to the club. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, derry said:

Openda continues his good season in ligue 1 with lens - scoring to lead PSG 2-1 atm. 

Available for £5-10M this summer... No excuse for the failure to get a good attacker this summer. 

Edit - now 3-1 (goal and assist), he made a good move, 2nd in ligue 1 and likely to be playing champions league and with a bigger club likely to swoop in in the future. 

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Openda continues his good season in ligue 1 with lens - scoring to lead PSG 2-1 atm. 

Available for £5-10M this summer... No excuse for the failure to get a good attacker this summer. 

Yeah fair play you were banging the drum for him given he wanted out of Belgium asap, I suppose if the club thought they were getting Ramos and potentially Gakpo they thought they had a big upgrade on him and had Mara as their development project.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Yeah fair play you were banging the drum for him given he wanted out of Belgium asap, I suppose if the club thought they were getting Ramos and potentially Gakpo they thought they had a big upgrade on him and had Mara as their development project.

I may or may not have wanted openda 😅

I don't really get the mara signing, don't seem to be giving him much opportunity and we could not afford to waste that money on a player that wouldn't help us this season sadly. Not saying I don't think he can be a good player - but we've not had a chance to see it, which means we've basically spent £12M on a striker for the reserves 😕

Edited by Saint86

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I don't really get the mara signing, don't seem to be giving him much opportunity and we could not afford to waste that money on a player that wouldn't help us this season sadly. Not saying I don't think he can be a good player - but we've not had a chance to see it, which means we've basically spent £12M on a striker for the reserves 😕

Club trying to be too clever again.  Completely incompetent buffoons.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

It’s exactly what we’ve done. He was basically brought in as 4th choice to replace Shane Long. To come off the bench occasionally and hopefully make an impact. He’s not developed much at all this season really, and seems to always be way off it when he comes on the pitch. Don’t think he’s scored a goal yet?! 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Club trying to be too clever again.  Completely incompetent buffoons.

When I comes off we are clever, when it doesn't we are buffoons, such is life.

For a club or our size to punch above our weight we have to be clever, the issue was though that Ramos at Benfica made it through CL qualifying and decided to stay just before deadline and Benfica didn't need to sell.

Let's be honest Benfica qualified in the same group as PSG and Juventus, I don't think we can blame the club for thinking those 2 would get through and Ramos would be free to join after.

If I was to blame anyone it would be Juventus for being shit.

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Can't agree on jwp at all, but ofc you are welcome to the oppion and it's interesting to hear it. For me he's having to play with very little support in CM, and with dross in front of him. Despite that, he's still dictating a lot of our plays, with some great diagonals and through balls recently even - issue is he's covering so much ground, playing deeper, and has limited movement / space / quality to hit in front of him.

A couple of good examples of good through balls were evident vs fulham (to put edozie through on goal from the wide position where he was then narrowly beaten out by the defenders) - a fully grown 22-23 year old athlete gets an extra yard of apce / strength to score those... I don't think enough of his detractors notice these plays personally, they just get lost in the general malaise / lack of quality from our attacker's re doing anything meaningful with them... Or more to the point, people remember the horrendous misses and not the passes that create that chance. 

Anyway, its an interesting oppinion on him ofc, I just don't think we desperately need a jwp replacement at this point in time. By the point that becomes a priority we will have a very tidy side - or he'll be in his mid 30's... I still remain glad we've got a player like him in the side, and one who is so committed to the club. 

people underestimate just how good a first touch he has, which allows him to play in the tightest area of the pitch. He is a very good footballer. As always his problem is when he is asked to cover a lot fo ground quickly to prevent opposing attacks from hurting us. Adding legs usually costs you in terms of technical ability and ball retention. We need to add complementary players and more competition. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

He was living in Boorley green on outskirts of Botley, he had his house up for sale , moved out and rented near Winch 

Didn’t realise he owned a house elsewhere….he was renting for nearly a year near us I think. Clearly wanted some privacy and anonymity!

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

people underestimate just how good a first touch he has, which allows him to play in the tightest area of the pitch. He is a very good footballer. As always his problem is when he is asked to cover a lot fo ground quickly to prevent opposing attacks from hurting us. Adding legs usually costs you in terms of technical ability and ball retention. We need to add complementary players and more competition. 

Yeah agreed. He badly needs support in and around him in the romeu / lavia mould - it gives him that extra bit freedom and takes more of the defensive work. That and some increased quality / fluidity up top to actually make use of his passing. 

Said to death on here. But its beyond crazy that we've played most of this season without an obvious defensive anchor in midfield. I can't remember the last time we tried that for a significant part of season. Such a stupid position to have gotten into. 

Edited by Saint86

33 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Ha ha according to the press Leeds are interested in Che Adams and he would consider it.

Yeah let’s play without any strikers although I personally think Adams is half shit.

https://www.givemesport.com/88099574-leeds-united-che-adams-transfer-rumours

Fuck me, talk about clickbait. The article itself gives the quote which is from a Footballer Insider journalist where he says:

“Obviously nobody wants to be involved in a relegation fight, and I’m sure if an offer did come in it’s something that Che Adams would seriously consider.

4 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Fuck me, talk about clickbait. The article itself gives the quote which is from a Footballer Insider journalist where he says:

“Obviously nobody wants to be involved in a relegation fight, and I’m sure if an offer did come in it’s something that Che Adams would seriously consider.

If there was any truth in it I wouldn’t be surprised to see the club offloading ANY of the current squad in an attempt to rebuild. With the Championship looming large why not start selling now rather than later when it starts getting desperate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, The Kraken said:

"Obviously nobody wants to be involved in a relegation fight"........and Leeds are 2 points above the relegation places.

9 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Ha ha according to the press Leeds are interested in Che Adams and he would consider it.

Yeah let’s play without any strikers although I personally think Adams is half shit.

They were heavily linked in the summer too.

Surely we wouldn't flog him now. Would be one hell of a gamble.

9 hours ago, The Kraken said:

And Leeds aren't in that fight?🤦🤦🤦

Surely even we wouldn’t sell our main striker to a relegation rival ?. Especially one proven in the league below where we may be heading. That said can see him going there end of season if we go down as Leeds are clearly interested and feel like Che would want to go.

10 hours ago, Pilchards said:

He is our best striker but he’s missed that many chances if he went I wouldnt be annoyed… as long as he’s replaced and we additionally add another striker

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Confused 1

Only 18 months left on his current deal and most likely wants £100k a week. This is something that needed to be sorted last summer. Either a new deal agreed or sold to maximise return on investment. Perhaps if we had signed Ramas/Gapko the deal with Everton would have happened. Without the replacement we then had to stick with Che. I am guessing now.

• Like 2

If we're bringing in Moffi as Adams' replacement plus a poacher type striker like Ings or Vitinha, then I've no issue in letting Adams go. I like Che, on his day* he can be excellent but most of the time he is incredibly wasteful

* about 1 in 10 games

• Like 1
  • Confused 1