January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, redandwhitey said:

I see all the demands for strikers "right now" but very few suggestions of who is realistically a target (availability/price etc) or even solid suggestions, not just Wolves/Leeds/Forest have done it, why can't we ?? etc. Lots of theory without substance being stated as fact (no funds/selling xyz before we buy) why not bring the blood pressure down a little and discuss the potential targets rather than we need a forward/midfielder/defender.

Perhaps we need a separate thread for "spleen venting" 2023 ?? and keep this one for transfer news and views

As far as I am aware, no-one on this forum works for the club or are professional scouts, or have access to the "data" that would suggest who could be good for us. 

It's not our job to find solutions, but the club certainly are and if we dont sign someone who will be eligible to play in our biggest game of the season, then SR have failed us again!

• Like 3

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/01/03/southampton-target-argentinian-talent-carlos-charly-alcaraz/

So much in here which basically is preempting the - we tried but couldn't make it work.

This kid sounds good BUT he's another kid with no experience and he's a hot prospect such as Gakpo and Ramos - why try and compete with Benfica and Inter Milan when we're rock bottom of the league. 

The club needs a sense check on who we are and where we are in the pecking order. 

You are right, of course, as fans we can't expect to have all of the answers. But when you read this thread there are lots of people who "know" what is wrong, why not speculate on the solutions rather than just criticise constantly without offering any options, even replacing the classic "we need a Jimmy Case" with a current feasible option would probably spark a reasonable debate about transfer targets.

• Like 1

Really think we'd be better off buying 'hungrier' players who can fit in straight away from mid-table Championship teams or Scotland. It's too late for more experimentation on youngsters whose agents are just using us to get moves elsewhere, let's face it. We need fight. And we need it now.

• Like 2

Not holding my breath on getting a decent striker in during the January window.  This should have been sorted in the summer when we would have been a more attractive option for an incoming player.  We are now firmly rooted to the bottom of the table  - can't imagine any striker worth having will come here.  Last time we bought a striker in January it turned out to be Carrillo.  That worked out well.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, redandwhitey said:

Not sure why the strategy of buying young players to develop is a surprise, we have had this policy in place for a while.

I do agree that that is not what is needed right now, but please guys, some of the comments on here are extreme. Jones is our new manager and is very unlikely to be replaced, so like it or not that is the way forward.

I see all the demands for strikers "right now" but very few suggestions of who is realistically a target (availability/price etc) or even solid suggestions, not just Wolves/Leeds/Forest have done it, why can't we ?? etc. Lots of theory without substance being stated as fact (no funds/selling xyz before we buy) why not bring the blood pressure down a little and discuss the potential targets rather than we need a forward/midfielder/defender.

Perhaps we need a separate thread for "spleen venting" 2023 ?? and keep this one for transfer news and views

Don't we pay people a lot of money to select target signings and get deals over the line?

5 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

Not holding my breath on getting a decent striker in during the January window.  This should have been sorted in the summer when we would have been a more attractive option for an incoming player.  We are now firmly rooted to the bottom of the table  - can't imagine any striker worth having will come here.  Last time we bought a striker in January it turned out to be Carrillo.  That worked out well.

I'd take a loan with option to buy if we survive. 

12 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

can’t be put off by one previous january transfer, should go out and sign players, just hope it’s the right ones

In times like these, I really wish we still had Osvaldo playing for us. 

An absolute shit house, who’d have ruffled up the dressing room and added a bit of aggression to our bunch of pansies, but was a bloody brilliant player. 

I could imagine him and Jones would have got on like a house on fire. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

why there is no sign of the club looking for players that'd add some fight and grit and experience just so we survive the drop this season is beyond comprehension.  Wouldn't be so baffling that we're looking to sign teenagers if we weren't heading for the drop, but now we are heading there so I don't get it.

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

note to self... stop wasting time continually refreshing this page in the forlorn hope something exciting may have happened in the intervening 60 seconds.

Or just come back on February 1st to find out we didn’t sign a striker.. but at least we got 2 more Cbs and a 17yo Rb ;)

• Haha 3

The club need to throw the bank at it and get a striker in ASAP or they might as well not bother and just prepare for the Championship. We could be adrift and pretty much dead and buried by the start of Feb. Jones has already pissed two winnable fixtures up against the wall, we can't afford many more.

• Like 1

Just now, aintforever said:

The club need to throw the bank at it and get a striker in ASAP or they might as well not bother and just prepare for the Championship. We could be adrift and pretty much dead and buried by the start of Feb. Jones has already pissed two winnable fixtures up against the wall, we can't afford many more.

Heres the problem with Jones. No connections, no pull, probably less knowledge from different leagues as he's spent his whole managerial career looking through the bins for free players in the lower leagues. Even not so good managers we are facing such as Lampard (and gerrard before) has the ability to attract some premier league players, let alone Emery and the wolves guy.

• Like 2

I'd take Ings back given the desperate situation we have found ourselves in. We need proven striker so he ticks that box. He complimented Che, together they caused most teams lots of problems previously. 

The Argentine lad would be a huge risk. How will he adapt to playing in a team which only has the ball 30% of the time and when they do have it they hoof it long? These types of players will just go missing as they are unlikely to be effective without the ball.

• Like 1

If Alcaraz is top of our shortlist for a midfieldernplayer then lets hope we actually pay the cash and get him!

Re Ings, I would be all over that. Proven PL striker with no time needed to settle in. We know he works well with Adams, would be a great signing.

1 hour ago, Christophenburg said:

The only thing I know about Alcaraz is that he scored the winner in the 117th minute of the Argentine Cup Final which resulted in a massive melee on the pitch and 10 red cards - seems perfect

This is what i want, pure and utter argentinian understated shit housery.

I endorse this signing 

plus he looks like he is actually not a smurf.

• Haha 3