January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Everyone can see we need a striker. Ralph was promised a striker in the summer and probably lost his job as the higher powers messed around and let him down. With a good striker we would probably be at least 6 points better off, and the attendances wouldn’t be dropping. This is really not the time to be messing around and haggling over pennies. Fingers crossed there’s something happening very soon as this is so damaging to the club. 

(cue superstar signing tomorrow…)! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Tella I don’t see wanting to return, and if he does I don’t see him getting a game. As much as I like him he’s just not what we need right now.

Bednarek’s loan could be cancelled which I’d say is a bonus if you’re Villa. Shitshow for us.

Unless there is a recall option I’d assume it can only be cancelled if agreed by both clubs.

If at our option, can we hand AMN back ? 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, manji said:

Say what you want we’ve still got the money we had planned for Gapko. Two attackers and a defender/ midfield.

I bet we don’t after sacking Ralph and paying compensation for Jones and his coaching staff. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, manji said:

Say what you want we’ve still got the money we had planned for Gapko. Two attackers and a defender/ midfield.

How confident are you that we still have it? It was allegedly there for Gakpo/Ramos (no real proof we had the money in all seriousness), but since then we've paid of ralph, and paid for Jones etc. Part of me wonders why, if we had those extra millions, we didn't just pay the few extra that was allegedly required in the summer - and if we did have them, how much is left? :( 

Edited by Saint86

50 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

How confident are you that we still have it? It was allegedly there for Gakpo/Ramos (no real proof we had the money in all seriousness), but since then we've paid of ralph, and paid for Jones etc. Part of me wonders why, if we had those extra millions, we didn't just pay the few extra that was allegedly required in the summer - and if we did have them, how much is left? :( 

Don’t forget the money for the Wednesday light show and the money we paid to have some lovely flowers planted at the training ground last week.

In seriousness I was told (18th Dec) we are targeting two Newcastle players and we are waiting for them to get a striker in. Saw recently Shelvey got injured plus Woods is starting games now. Have no idea who these two players could be. Maybe they want Lavia as part of any deals?!?!

Thats my 3rd and final post now.

Edited by Pilchards
Added date I was told of the players interest.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Don’t forget the money for the Wednesday light show and the money we paid to have some lovely flowers planted at the training ground last week.

In seriousness I was told (18th Dec) we are targeting two Newcastle players and we are waiting for them to get a striker in. Saw recently Shelvey got injured plus Woods is starting games now. Have no idea who these two players could be. Maybe they want Lavia as part of any deals?!?!

Thats my 3rd and final post now.

Fraser is likely one given the previous links. God knows who the other one would be as Newcastle have a thin squad. Could be Shelvey. I cant see it being Wood as they've only him, Wilson and Isak as out and out strikers, and with the injury record of the other two they need him (did score last week).

Fraser and Shelvey would be underwhelming to say the least. Those clamouring for more experience in our team will be delighted though 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

What a disaster. I d rather we had kept Ralph and brought in the additional players, the performances weren t as bad as this

We’ve had two bad performances, Lincoln and Brighton and two good performances, Liverpool and Fulham. We kept Ralph too long in my opinion.

Let’s see how things go over the next few games and see who we get in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

What a disaster. I d rather we had kept Ralph and brought in the additional players, the performances weren t as bad as this

They were I was at Villa not one shot! 
Fulham second half wasn’t bad until Edozie went off

Brighton was bad but Chelsea home, Brentford away , Villa away that started rot . 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 3

Nathan Jones says Southampton fans should not expect a "super busy" January transfer window, but has not ruled out a return to St Mary's for centre-back Jan Bednarek.

The Poland international is on a season-long loan at Aston Villa, but has only started one Premier League match this term.

Jones said: "There's certain positions that we want to strengthen in because we need help and competition in those positions.

"That (defence) is one position where we would like to strengthen, but I'm not going say names or anything now because there's a lot going on and it won’t be a super-busy January.

"But we would like to make sure that the squad we go into January with and the one we come out of it with will be stronger and better."

Can anyone translate that statement?

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Fraser is likely one given the previous links. God knows who the other one would be as Newcastle have a thin squad. Could be Shelvey. I cant see it being Wood as they've only him, Wilson and Isak as out and out strikers, and with the injury record of the other two they need him (did score last week).

Fraser and Shelvey would be underwhelming to say the least. Those clamouring for more experience in our team will be delighted though 🙄

I think Wood was rumoured before. May be a sweetener to them getting Lavia or Salisu or someone else from us, knowing the way we work.

19 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

No but bringing back Bednarek would be at the bottom of my list. 

My list of priorities would be: 

ST, AM, DM, Manager, GK, AM, ST, LB, RB, CB.

What’s the chances we bring in a bunch of players all over 6”4, under this clown. 

Very high. All of the idiotic variables very high at present. 

13 minutes ago, DT said:

I think Wood was rumoured before. May be a sweetener to them getting Lavia or Salisu or someone else from us, knowing the way we work.

To be honest i'd sacrifice Salisu if it meant we got Wood. Bella-Kotchap and Caltea-Carr are a decent pairing, it's odd that DCC hasn't had more game time since Jones came in, Lyancos inclusion over him is odd. Lavia is a different story, we need him fit and playing, we look pathetically weak in midfield when he's not there.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Leeds sign Max Wober from RBS. That's 3 of our relegation rivals who have strengthened so far.

Yes, teams around us seem to have no problem getting bits of business done early in the window. We continue to blunder along towards certain relegation like lemmings off a cliff. Given up on SR now. Bunch of charlatans.

be honest what decent footballer would risk his career on a relegation certainty such as Saints and a manager most of us had never heard of before we signed him and looks so out of his depth it's embarrassing?

Unless they are signed on massive wages with a relegation clause inserted saying they can go the moment we are relegated i just can't see us getting the players we need.

2 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

be honest what decent footballer would risk his career on a relegation certainty such as Saints and a manager most of us had never heard of before we signed him and looks so out of his depth it's embarrassing?

Unless they are signed on massive wages with a relegation clause inserted saying they can go the moment we are relegated i just can't see us getting the players we need.

Isnt that why you need a decent manager with a bit of pull, and a board with a proper plan and ambition. I'm pretty sure all these players didnt join Forest to get relegated, or have joined rivals to get relegated.  They believe they'll stay up I'm sure. Unfortunately we seem to have a board who have failed at pretty much everything they've had to do since taking over, and a manager who has no pull whatsoever.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

That was clearly the right call. 

The right call was sacking Ralph, replacing him with someone credible (I’d even take someone half credible at the minute) and then strengthening in Jan. 

keeping Ralph would have been just as negative as appointing Jones. 

In fact, we should have sacked Ralph in the summer which would have given us time to appoint Jones (clearly he was the preferred target and would have been appointed regardless), relaise it’s a mistake and sack him. It’s too late now, we’re fucked. 

• Like 4

Maybe all this 'it will be quiet' is bluff. That sound you can hear is me clutching at straws. I fear the real reason is we're skint, will sell yet more prize assets and blunder down into the Championship, with the shouty one at the helm, screaming 'trust the process, boyo' as we get pulverised, weekly.

5 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

From Cody Gakpo to Chuba Akpom, if we buy enough championship top scorers eventually one will actually work no? Third times the charm.

new strikers must have 'akpo' in their name. it is the LAW. Bids going in for the entire 'Blakpool' front line...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Dman said:

The right call was sacking Ralph, replacing him with someone credible (I’d even take someone half credible at the minute) and then strengthening in Jan. 

keeping Ralph would have been just as negative as appointing Jones. 

In fact, we should have sacked Ralph in the summer which would have given us time to appoint Jones (clearly he was the preferred target and would have been appointed regardless), relaise it’s a mistake and sack him. It’s too late now, we’re fucked. 

It might have been that appointing NJ in the summer, with time to work on the team and sign players for his system, could even have worked. He was the wrong man to appoint when things had already got so bad

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Saints fans seem to like having a baldy in midfield.

3 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

It might have been that appointing NJ in the summer, with time to work on the team and sign players for his system, could even have worked. He was the wrong man to appoint when things had already got so bad

He’s just had 6 weeks to work with the squad to implement his style. We look worse now than before. 

We have bunch of absolute wankers that play for us, the gave up under Ralph because they didn’t like him. Jones had no chance of winning them over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

They were I was at Villa not one shot! 
Fulham second half wasn’t bad until Edozie went off

Brighton was bad but Chelsea home, Brentford away , Villa away that started rot . 

Spurs first game of the season was fucking woeful after they equalised. Palace away was average at best, and don’t get me started on Brentford last season, one of the most disgraceful performances I’ve seen in decades of watching. Ralph was serving up pony most weeks the past year, and he had years to get his ideas across. This blokes had weeks…

• Like 3

Not sure why the strategy of buying young players to develop is a surprise, we have had this policy in place for a while.

I do agree that that is not what is needed right now, but please guys, some of the comments on here are extreme. Jones is our new manager and is very unlikely to be replaced, so like it or not that is the way forward.

I see all the demands for strikers "right now" but very few suggestions of who is realistically a target (availability/price etc) or even solid suggestions, not just Wolves/Leeds/Forest have done it, why can't we ?? etc. Lots of theory without substance being stated as fact (no funds/selling xyz before we buy) why not bring the blood pressure down a little and discuss the potential targets rather than we need a forward/midfielder/defender.

Perhaps we need a separate thread for "spleen venting" 2023 ?? and keep this one for transfer news and views

• Like 6

1 minute ago, redandwhitey said:

Not sure why the strategy of buying young players to develop is a surprise, we have had this policy in place for a while.

I do agree that that is not what is needed right now, but please guys, some of the comments on here are extreme. Jones is our new manager and is very unlikely to be replaced, so like it or not that is the way forward.

I see all the demands for strikers "right now" but very few suggestions of who is realistically a target (availability/price etc) or even solid suggestions, not just Wolves/Leeds/Forest have done it, why can't we ?? etc. Lots of theory without substance being stated as fact (no funds/selling xyz before we buy) why not bring the blood pressure down a little and discuss the potential targets rather than we need a forward/midfielder/defender.

Perhaps we need a separate thread for "spleen venting" 2023 ?? and keep this one for transfer news and views

DId not realise it was on the average fan (who generally knows jack shit about the mechanics of top level football) to name the players we could realistically sign.

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Also mentions in article:

”He (Jones) wants to bolster his squad and in attack one of the club’s primary targets is Udinese striker Beto. The Portuguese forward, 24, has six goals in 16 appearances this season for his Italian club.” So there’s another link for us…! 

6 foot 4 striker (according to Google) who was apparently in the initial 55-man Portugal WC squad (not that it says a lot). Apart from that I know nothing 😀

Edited by Saint-Reece