January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Was there anything more predictable than "we'll be proactive and aggressive" switching up to it likely being a "quiet one" once the window actually opened?

Embarrassing.

Selling everyone decent. Buying cheap shit. Cut price manager. Just appalling

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

To be honest it's been obvious we needed a striker since July, if we haven't got a few irons in the fire already and opportunities progressed near to competition then I really have lost faith.

It’s getting so bad you actually wonder if the clowns in charge have even the slightest clue.

its true we have needed a striker since broja left.. and here we are window is open now.. no signings yet obviously as it would be unsaintly to do business early like wolves and Liverpool did…and here we are looking at the one position that doesn’t need strengthening with talk of recalling bednarek and now mason holgate who is also no better then we have already and is bang average..

I mean Jesus Christ what is the matter with them????the whole fanbase knows we need a damn striker and after that a creative player and after that a physical dm. Another average centre back is the last thing we need 

• Like 1

I actually think they want us to be relegated...... Some of the decisions and direction are beyond stupid and defy any rationality or logic. 

Some of the fanbase on here would have us in a better position.

Our new leadership including manager is abysmal. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Was there anything more predictable than "we'll be proactive and aggressive" switching up to it likely being a "quiet one" once the window actually opened?

Embarrassing.

I hope this is just a smoke screen because, if not, we might as well give up on fighting relegation now and accept our fate.

• Like 2

Just now, Bob76 said:

Someone take his shoe laces away, he's making up shit to be depressed about now.

I'd like to introduce you to DT. He hyperventilates around 1000 times during a transfer window about players we're going to sell, even though we don't end up selling them.

• Like 2

Reports of Akpom from Middlesborough, 12 goals as a striker including a hat trick probably for a lot of money. That's not much better than Tella's 8 goals plus assists and we only have to recall him. The Burnley commentator described him involved in everything. FFS I think Bednerak scored 5 goals last season. The only word I can use to describe our forwards is disgrace.

Edited by derry

4 minutes ago, derry said:

Reports of Akpom from Middlesborough, 12 goals as a striker including a hat trick probably for a lot of money. That's not much better than Tella's 8 goals plus assists and we only have to recall him. The Burnley commentator described him involved in everything. FFS I think Bednerak scored 5 goals last season. The only word I can use to describe our forwards is disgrace.

Age 27.  So doubt it. 

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I have an image of Jan Bednarek sat in Chievely Services, half way between Birmingham and Southampton waiting forlornly for a phone call from a club who actually want him in their squad.

About 23:00 hrs, 31st January he'll be filmed in a Range Rover outside Staplewood. Probably to find it locked up, with the lights out.

• Haha 2

Akpom's always been crap too, Middlesbrough loaned him out to Greece last season. I was surprised by his numbers for this season, but Armstrong and Adams also had a season of very good numbers in the Championship, but then couldn't replicate those here.

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

Akpom's always been crap too, Middlesbrough loaned him out to Greece last season. I was surprised by his numbers for this season, but Armstrong and Adams also had a season of very good numbers in the Championship, but then couldn't replicate those here.

But perhaps  not on Planet Rasmus where data analytics say otherwise.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd like to introduce you to DT. He hyperventilates around 1000 times during a transfer window about players we're going to sell, even though we don't end up selling them.

Hi. It’s 1500 so far this window. 

54 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I just want us to be good, just for a bit, not ever but 6months would not be too much to ask.

I am sick of us hoping something works, we might sign a player before end of jan, we might fluke a win, an attacking midfielder might work out they have to attack the oppositions goal instead of ours.

Probability says we cant be this shit for so long but it seems its the only metric we can outperform.

We were good for a bit: the back-to-back promotions, Poch, Koeman.

We've had it good. It's like remembering an old girlfriend who was really out of your league. (God i miss Judith's rack).

But I agree with you. I want some more.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I actually think they want us to be relegated...... Some of the decisions and direction are beyond stupid and defy any rationality or logic. 

Some of the fanbase on here would have us in a better position.

Our new leadership including manager is abysmal. 

This is exactly how I see things at the moment.  It’s getting to the point that relegation would be a relief.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

We were good for a bit: the back-to-back promotions, Poch, Koeman.

We've had it good. It's like remembering an old girlfriend who was really out of your league. (God i miss Judith's rack).

But I agree with you. I want some more.

Personally think we should bring Judith in on loan

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

is he any good?

Wolves spent £44m. That's probably why the deal went through so quickly. 

No idea but they realised they wanted a striker and they've went and got him. We've recognised the need for striker since we let Ings go and we still haven't got someone in. 

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No idea but they realised they wanted a striker and they've went and got him. We've recognised the need for striker since we let Ings go and we still haven't got someone in. 

They haven't actually signed him though. It's a loan with a view to buy if they stay up. Probably the sort of transfers we should be looking at.

• Like 1

I dont understand how we have not got at least one signing done and dusted already. We've needed a striker and attackers since the summer and had a 5-6 week break to sort it out too. If you cant get who you want by how are you going to get them at all this month? Maybe I'm being slightly critical so maybe by the end of this week wil be ok, but you probably get my point. Without very swift and decent action this season may well become the worst one EVER.

Just now, MarkSFC said:

I dont understand how we have not got at least one signing done and dusted already. We've needed a striker and attackers since the summer and had a 5-6 week break to sort it out too. If you cant get who you want by how are you going to get them at all this month? Maybe I'm being slightly critical so maybe by the end of this week wil be ok, but you probably get my point. Without very swift and decent action this season may well become the worst one EVER.

The problem we have is you need to pay over the odds for someone so early in the transfer window. I can’t remember the last time we bought anyone in the first week as we are bargain hunters.

Once players move from one club to another it puts another player down the pecking order and these are the ones we target. (Otherwise known as cheap shit)

Very rarely do we get in a bidding war with players as the wages we offer are pittance compared to what other clubs offer in the end.

Basically we will sign some players around the 3rd or 4th week of this transfer window because our mindset is small and plus we don’t have any decent players worth selling at stupid prices like Brighton are receiving these last few years.

11 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

The problem we have is you need to pay over the odds for someone so early in the transfer window. I can’t remember the last time we bought anyone in the first week as we are bargain hunters.

Once players move from one club to another it puts another player down the pecking order and these are the ones we target. (Otherwise known as cheap shit)

Very rarely do we get in a bidding war with players as the wages we offer are pittance compared to what other clubs offer in the end.

Basically we will sign some players around the 3rd or 4th week of this transfer window because our mindset is small and plus we don’t have any decent players worth selling at stupid prices like Brighton are receiving these last few years.

And this is the mentality from the club which brings regression, not immediately, but overtime. The entire narrative over the last 18 month has contained some great snippets such as:

- We're so lucky to be in the PL

- We should be thankful we've been in this league for 10 years, we can't compete with anyone

- Any win we get at this level should be cherished

- We can't compete with Leeds/Villa etc etc etc

Eventually the teams that were once below us (Leeds, Villa) get the momentum to go above us because we've accepted that, rather than trying to push the boundaries and gamble. 

I just hope this transfer window doesn't rival our worst ever - 2017/18. We sold VVD for a record fee late December, the rest of the month was spent with the leaking of our interest in everyone (Shaw, Promes, Sesseengon, Theo) whilst simultaneously patting themselves on the back for 4 weeks because we got a record fee for VVD, which they believed somehow validated our approach. That approach is null and void if you don't 'go again', and we didn't 'go again' as we just spent that money on Guido Carillo at the 11th Hour. Clubs have bad windows, but that was just horrific.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

So in other words expect: 

Tella and Bednerek to be recalled 

And Andy Carol coming in as the strike force saviour. 

The only thing that stands a real upgrade this window is Nathan Jones's hairline.... He is going to Need it with the dross he will have to work with 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by ally_uk
Spelling

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

So in other words expect: 

Tella and Bednerek to be recalled 

And Andy Carol coming in as the strike force saviour. 

The only thing that stands a real upgrade this window is Nathan Jones's hairline.... He is going to Need it with the dross he will have to work with 🤣🤣🤣

Yep I’m expecting those two to be recalled maybe a loan signing and some chest thumping from Jones about how the squad is stronger, along with a “the market is tough” line from semmens 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

So basically you are saying that even the change of ownership has notchanged that.Sadly I probably agree basedon the evidence to date. We mayas well justplay withe lower leagues.

50 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep I’m expecting those two to be recalled maybe a loan signing and some chest thumping from Jones about how the squad is stronger, along with a “the market is tough” line from semmens 

If we intend to recall them I'm not sure what we're waiting for.

Worth reading the Echo article in full:

pixel

Daily Echo

2 January 23More Sport >

Southampton boss addresses January transfer plans and Bednarek/Tella

13024202?type=thumb

By Alfie House  @AlfieHouseEcho

Digital Sport Reporter

?type=responsive-gallery
?type=responsive-gallery

Southampton boss addresses January transfer plans and Bednarek/Tella

NATHAN Jones admitted the January transfer window will not be “super busy” but insists Saints must improve their squad, whether that is “one, two, three or 10” signings.

The Welshman has overseen three defeats from his first three Premier League games since being appointed as Ralph Hasenhuttl’s successor at the beginning of January.

Saints are rock-bottom of the division and, although there are only five points between them and Leicester in 13th, only two teams have survived from this position at this time in the last 10 years.

Jones was asked about his intentions for the January window, with Sport Republic buying 10 players in the summer alone, as well as select rumours that have emerged in recent weeks.

One such was the potential return of Jan Bednarek from his loan spell at Aston Villa, where he is hardly getting a look in, to strengthen in defence.

He responded: “There are certain positions we want to strengthen in because we need help and competition in those positions.

“That is one position where we would like to strengthen in,” Jones admitted. “But I’m not going to say anything on names now because there is a lot going on.

“It’s not going to be a super busy January but we would like to make sure the squad we come out of January with is better.”

Another player who could return from a loan spell, but one who has a considerably larger degree of success, is academy graduate Nathan Tella.

The 23-year-old has scored eight goals in 22 Championship matches for league-leaders Burnley, who look set for an instant return to the Premier League under Vincent Kompany.

Asked about the forward, Jones said: “Every possibility is open but what we have to make sure we do is make sure the squad we go into the January window with is weaker than the one we come out of it with.

“Whether that’s one, two, three or 10, we have to ensure we are in a better position by the end of the window to win games and have competition within the squad. We have to make sure we have a positive end to the season.”

Jones has previously been honest in suggesting that he has not been able to play the way he and his coaches would desire due to the personnel and availability within his squad.

But when asked again if he wants to play a three-at-the-back formation, after returning to it for the first half of the 2-1 defeat at Fulham, his frank response could suggest a more all-encompassing approach to transfer strategy.

“I want to win games, I don’t care what shape we play, I really don’t, I just want to win footballmatches,” he insisted.

“At the minute, we have played a back three because we’re not the biggest team in the world and when you come up against teams that are big, they’re good from set plays and we need to give ourselves a chance of being dominant in our own box and being a threat in the other.

“That’s what we need to do so I don’t mind, throughout my manager career I have played a 4-2-3-1, I’ve played a diamond, throughout the promotions I played a back three and I got to the playoffs with a low-budget side, it’s the principles that are more important.

"If we’re the side that can handle absolutely everything then I’d play a certain way.”

26 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Needed a striker back in the summer and failed.

First part of the season highlighted that even more and this run of fixtures has been staring us in the face for 6 weeks.

Still nothing.

At what point are they going to act?

I agree with all of this. This should have been sorted before January 1st, ready to be announced. I'm just really hoping there will be some announcements of signings before the end of the week.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1