January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

48 minutes ago, DT said:

We want Everton defender Mason Holgate, according to sfcglobal whatever that is. More underwhelming links. Ps watch Che become suddenly brilliant if he goes to Leeds. 

I like Holgate, but he isn’t what we need right now. GK, midfielders and strikers are what we need.

I don’t reckon Adams will go until the summer

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

“Hi ingsy, fancy being relegated mate?”

Would be a loan. Could also build in an obligation to buy if we stay up. Ings could also get certain bonuses if his goals help us stay up. If we relegated, he goes back to Villa. No risk for Ings.

Ings is pretty unrealistic. We’ll need Emery to decide already that he’s no future at Villa and be willing to loan him out. We’d need Ralph to be the reason he left in the first place, and he’d want to come back under a different manager . Finally, we'd need no other club to be interested, because even other sides having a poor season like Leicester or West Ham, look a better bet than us. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

70 yard hoofs up to Danny Ings...

Righto

We didn’t hoof it against Fulham, there was some really good interplay at times. Nothing wrong with mixing it up anyway, Ralph used to be big on percentage balls to the opponents corner areas, when he had us going well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We didn’t hoof it against Fulham, there was some really good interplay at times. Nothing wrong with mixing it up anyway, Ralph used to be big on percentage balls to the opponents corner areas, when he had us going well.

Best football I've ever seen us play was under Koeman which regularly featured long passes to Pelle.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

If we're bringing in Moffi as Adams' replacement plus a poacher type striker like Ings or Vitinha, then I've no issue in letting Adams go. I like Che, on his day* he can be excellent but most of the time he is incredibly wasteful

* about 1 in 10 games

Am getting we need to sell before we buy vibes with this.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Only 18 months left on his current deal and most likely wants £100k a week. This is something that needed to be sorted last summer. Either a new deal agreed or sold to maximise return on investment. Perhaps if we had signed Ramas/Gapko the deal with Everton would have happened. Without the replacement we then had to stick with Che. I am guessing now.

Seems a reasonable scenario in all seriousness... Well apart from the fact we didn't sign gakpo / ramos (/ openda 😪😜), or anyone else of Premier league quality! 😔

38 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Would be a loan. Could also build in an obligation to buy if we stay up. Ings could also get certain bonuses if his goals help us stay up. If we relegated, he goes back to Villa. No risk for Ings.

good point, but Villa still need him, so why would thy loan him to us?

16 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Can't agree on jwp at all, but ofc you are welcome to the oppion and it's interesting to hear it. For me he's having to play with very little support in CM, and with dross in front of him. Despite that, he's still dictating a lot of our plays, with some great diagonals and through balls recently even - issue is he's covering so much ground, playing deeper, and has limited movement / space / quality to hit in front of him.

A couple of good examples of good through balls were evident vs fulham (to put edozie through on goal from the wide position where he was then narrowly beaten out by the defenders) - a fully grown 22-23 year old athlete gets an extra yard of apce / strength to score those... I don't think enough of his detractors notice these plays personally, they just get lost in the general malaise / lack of quality from our attacker's re doing anything meaningful with them... Or more to the point, people remember the horrendous misses and not the passes that create that chance. 

Anyway, its an interesting oppinion on him ofc, I just don't think we desperately need a jwp replacement at this point in time. By the point that becomes a priority we will have a very tidy side - or he'll be in his mid 30's... I still remain glad we've got a player like him in the side, and one who is so committed to the club. 

Pleasantly surprised by such a polite reply. I hear your points. I personally think that passes to players that can’t reach them are poor passes. It means we lose possession. To be honest, I’ve barely seen JWP pass forwards. 

I say he’s the problem because I think he plays regardless. He needs to be dropped when he’s poor. He isn’t. I don’t think that’s healthy for a club. He is no leader, I’m afraid. I think he’s a very likeable, decent person. I think that in the past he should’ve been dropped and Diallo given a chance alongside Romeu but he is guaranteed to start. I lost count of the amount of balls he’s given away with poor passing. All I see is someone running around a lot but achieving very little. We don’t really have a replacement at the moment but we have had options in the past. He hit a purple patch but in his whole saints career, that accounts for a very limited amount of time. 
I get frustrated because I feel he often goes without scrutiny and I don’t think that’s right.

I will look out for his diagonal balls though.

Glad we can disagree amicably.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We didn’t hoof it against Fulham, there was some really good interplay at times. Nothing wrong with mixing it up anyway,

This, but if you go direct with a manager you don't like, its `bloody league 1 hoof ball'. 

• Like 1

Imagine being bottom of the league and thinking “yeah this squad is good enough to stay in this league”. 😅

That said there is clearly something there with this team. We’ve put in some excellent performances and with a few new additions we could kick on up the table. It’s tactically where we’ll fall down now.

Our story this season has been a case of no backbone in midfield, no wide players to create and lack of taking chances up top.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Imagine being bottom of the league and thinking “yeah this squad is good enough to stay in this league”. 😅

That said there is clearly something there with this team. We’ve put in some excellent performances and with a few new additions we could kick on up the table. It’s tactically where we’ll fall down now.

Our story this season has been a case of no backbone in midfield, no wide players to create and lack of taking chances up top.

Excellent performances against who this season?

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That's the opposite of reality. We haven't put in any excellent performances bar maybe Chelsea where we were decent and they were poor. Beyond that there's been nothing excellent at all. 

Signings in order of importance are 

Striker 

AM 

DM 

Winger 

Gk 

I don't think we will get many of the people in this window, probably two or three. The idea that we are squandering precious resources on another bloody cb is insane. For a club facing relegation we really don't have that terrible a defence unless we decide to play Lyanco for some inexplicable reason. Why haven't we signed a striker yet? Given the mess up in the summer and our situation, we really should have been looking to get one in at the very start of this window and the linger we delay the worse it's going to be. If we fanny about pushing for a cb that we don't need-or even worse recalling one we know is terrible-then my opinion of the club will have got even lower thab it is now. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Jones has confirmed he wants a CB and refuses to rule out recalling bednarek 😏

Aso says it won't be a super busy window 🤦‍♂️

https://twitter.com/SaintsExtra/status/1609912817565716482?t=sp-GSbD_i9qWS8yP6XcNFQ&s=19

When asked on the number of signings we could make, he said it could be one, two, three or ten. Bit of a contradiction to saying it wont be 'super busy'  whatever that means.

Again we're not going to come out and say its going to be a super busy window as it screams desperation. It also would mean clubs ramping up prices. It also wouldnt go down well with the current squad that there will be mass changes, especially when we need to rely on them for upcoming games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

When asked on the number of signings we could make, he said it could be one, two, three or ten. Bit of a contradiction to saying it wont be 'super busy'  whatever that means.

Again we're not going to come out and say its going to be a super busy window as it screams desperation. It also would mean clubs ramping up prices. It also wouldnt go down well with the current squad that there will be mass changes, especially when we need to rely on them for upcoming games.

No he wasn't saying that like that's a prediction for the amount we would sign. What he's trying to say is that the amount we sign doesn't matter that much to him. Not sure why he's saying that as clearly I would say we need three as a minimum (hopefully not including a cb). 

What concerns me slightly are the CB noises, it genuinely seems like the club see this as some sort of priority position to strengthen. That means they're not looking at the underlying issues.

The signing we should have in the first week is a ST, but it sounds like we're going to get the fan-fare out to announce the return of our deadwood.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What concerns me slightly are the CB noises, it genuinely seems like the club see this as some sort of priority position to strengthen. That means they're not looking at the underlying issues.

The signing we should have in the first week is a ST, but it sounds like we're going to get the fan-fare out to announce the return of our deadwood.

This.

Once again everyone can see what we need to improve, but not the people at the club.

Makes you wonder if the players know what would improve them… Preference of signing, preference of coaching, preference of formation 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we don't have a striker in ready to start for the Everton game then we really will have failed. 

• Like 7

ABK, Salisu, DCC and Lyanco is strong enough at CB, we should be playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 IMO with our squad.

What we need is: Someone who can finish, someone who can create (Elyounoussi frustrates me so much), someone who can win midfield battle (for when Lavia is unavailable, so 66% of the time. We miss Romeu so bad) and a keeper to take the pressure off Bazunu.

If you want to call back Bednarek you will need to play a back 5 as he is way too slow for a back 4. His interception stats were good previously (wasn’t he top of the stats for one season?) and he is a good last ditch defender for blocks.

I personally hate 5 at the back but can see logic in Bednarek suiting Jones football (we have resulted to a newly promoted team survival style, sad times). Trouble is Bednarek has burned his bridges with those silly willy waving comments. There’s a reason why nobody would buy him or Stephens, neither are good enough for the style we should be playing.

90/92 form for 2022, the momentum is sending us only one way and this window has to be spot on. Early indications are not suggesting it’s going to be. I’m super worried for us as things currently stand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we don't have a striker in ready to start for the Everton game then we really will have failed. 

Any striker? 

I doubt if timing will be down to us. What sort of agent would agree terms with us and then not hawk their man around? I’d imagine the only striker that’ll rush to put pen to paper in time for Everton, will be pony that nobody else is interested in. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Any striker? 

I doubt if timing will be down to us. What sort of agent would agree terms with us and then not hawk their man around? I’d imagine the only striker that’ll rush to put pen to paper in time for Everton will be pony that nobody else is interested in. 

Looks like Wolves managed to bring in a striker already with no trouble. Their manager has already said he is looking for six signings in January. 

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Looks like Wolves managed to bring in a striker already with no trouble. Their manager has already said he is looking for six signings in January. 

But we are Southampton, we won't be held to ransom and we will do deals 'on our terms'.

And we know how that ends up.

13 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Any striker? 

I doubt if timing will be down to us. What sort of agent would agree terms with us and then not hawk their man around? I’d imagine the only striker that’ll rush to put pen to paper in time for Everton, will be pony that nobody else is interested in. 

To be honest it's been obvious we needed a striker since July, if we haven't got a few irons in the fire already and opportunities progressed near to competition then I really have lost faith.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Could also mean one or two of our existing centre backs will be off, Salisu hasn’t signed, Lyanco was / is supposed to be off, Bella Kotchap hasn’t been great since the World Cup (head turned)? CC doesn’t currently seem to figure it out n the plans. If all are staying then as you suggest it is the last position that needs strengthening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

In other words, he does as he’s told and has no say.

35 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be honest it's been obvious we needed a striker since July, if we haven't got a few irons in the fire already and opportunities progressed near to competition then I really have lost faith.

I would suggest that our need to get a striker in was greater than Wolves' need yet we are already behind them in this window. Like I said, minimum requirement is a striker in ready to start against Everton or I'm going to assume the club have given up and are planning for next season in the championship. 

• Like 1

Enough with the bs, arrogance and trying to be too clever.... 

Money on the table get in experience and quality otherwise bye bye Premiership....

If we go down then Ankerson and Semmens and fhe clowns in control need to face the fans.... 

Edited by ally_uk
Spelling
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

In other words, he does as he’s told and has no say.

I would say he does have a say, like any manager does. At the end of the day he's the one having to work with them on a daily basis. He's just giving the bland media responses that almost all managers wheel out this time of the year

I don't blame Jones for this as he has pretty much just turned up, but so much feels like its lacking any clarity of thought and structure at the moment.

Who is actually leading our recruitment? Presumably Ankersen but he is also the Chairman of another club, so can't have enough time to fully dedicate to it.

Really hoped we would have had a few bits lined up and ready to go at the start of January but that is obviously not the case and isn't Jones' fault at all.

Why does it always feel like the club doesn't realise juat what an awful position we are in? Comments about ending the window stronger than we currently are would be perfectly sensible if we were comfortably mid table. The reality is we need big reinforcement now, literally now. The end of January is too long to wait given the fixtures we have and the position we are in.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Enough with the bs, arrogance and trying to be too clever.... 

Money on the table get in experience and quality otherwise bye bye Premiership....

If we go down then Ankerson and Semmens and fhe clowns in control need to face the fans.... 

In a nutshell.  Great post.

8 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Flogging our current and only Centre Forward mid-season would certainly be a very innovative way to address our lack of cutting edge and goals. Is Rasmus Ankersen secretly from Paulsgrove, real name Raymond W. Anchorman. 

Think you missed out an important, and distinguishing middle initial. 

• Like 1

I just want us to be good, just for a bit, not ever but 6months would not be too much to ask.

I am sick of us hoping something works, we might sign a player before end of jan, we might fluke a win, an attacking midfielder might work out they have to attack the oppositions goal instead of ours.

Probability says we cant be this shit for so long but it seems its the only metric we can outperform.