Bournemouth 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

The thing I noticed and have noticed recently regarding Adam Armstorng he is making some really intelligent runs. 

However we are lacking that player in midfield to play a decent defense splitting ball. 

Lavia when he was playing is exactly what we need that kind of player that isn't afraid to play a forward pass.

As for Ward Prowse this season I'm sorry but he has been terrible should be rotated. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

The thing I noticed and have noticed recently regarding Adam Armstorng he is making some really intelligent runs. 

However we are lacking that player in midfield to play a decent defense splitting ball. 

Lavia when he was playing is exactly what we need that kind of player that isn't afraid to play a forward pass.

As for Ward Prowse this season I'm sorry but he has been terrible should be rotated. 

If I was AA I’d be getting a bit pissed off to be honest - last night he made loads of runs in between the defenders and not once was it spotted or acted upon.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Don't let the exception to the pattern cloud you to it's existence. It worked today, it won't on five other occasions. It's been two years of this sh*t. Just get the guy out.

Most shots Bournemouth have had this season, we rode our luck.

I was only commenting on this game in response to someone saying we were awful, that's all. I have had a gutful of Ralph, and think it's time for him to go, but I'll take this win, because if and when the new man comes in, I'd prefer not to be adrift in the relegation places.

Re shots, I think in actual shots on target we were pretty equal. 

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

If I was AA I’d be getting a bit pissed off to be honest - last night he made loads of runs in between the defenders and not once was it spotted or acted upon.

though when he does get the ball he starts well running at the opposition, but he always gets to the edge of the box looks up sees a defender in front of him, sh*ts himself and turns back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

I agree out of form players should be rotated... but for who? Our central midfield options without Lavia are him, Diallo and AMN. JWP is the best we have in that position until either Lavia comes back or we can do something about it in the window.

9 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

I thought KWP picked up a bit of a knock in the West Ham game and this may have resurfaced last night.
Hope it is only cramp but unlikely I think

Looked like his hamstring tightened but hopefully not pulled.

I thought he looked off the pace all night, I wouldn't have expected a fully fit KWP to have been beaten for speed like he was last night.

RE JWP class is permanent, form is temporary. Doubt he'll go to World Cup which will give him a well deserved break.

Unless Stuart Armstong can't last 90 minutes at full pace I don't know why he doesn't start more often, imo he is a very clever midfielder.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

JWP has been gash. We'll get some performances from him when Lavia's back. But he's not the messiah, he's just rather average in most stats. And a top earner. 

He put himself about a bit more last night which is what's required if you're off your game.

He seems so sloppy in possession this season, although he's not the only one by any stretch. Plus he's not covering up any of his bad form with goals now the opposition have worked out it's better to let us just have the ball rather than foul a striker in a dangerous position on the edge of the box because we're more likely to score from one of his free kicks than a striker is from open play.

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

though when he does get the ball he starts well running at the opposition, but he always gets to the edge of the box looks up sees a defender in front of him, sh*ts himself and turns back. 

Always seems to me that he doesn't think quickly enough and therefore gets shut down by defenders far too easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Always seems to me that he doesn't think quickly enough and therefore gets shut down by defenders far too easily.

Exactly that. We know he has pace - he hit the fastest speed recorded in the Premier League one week - but he has no anticipation and is incredibly slow off the mark. 

• Like 1

One moment summed him up for me, very clever turn, burned away from the defender, sprinted into open space for a 2 v 1, tried to play it through to Adams, hit the middle of the defender instead.

That said I do think at the moment he deserves his place, but that says more about his competition.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2022 at 03:51, East Kent Saint said:

Contrasting comments re JWP on here , he got worst player rating on BBC match summary , does he need a break or a bit of therapy ?

I think his lack of ability to be a convincing captain, and get respect from fellow teammates is weighing down a wee bit in the build up to the world cup IMO. Hasnt really had a good game in a while tbf(again only mo),but then again neither has the rest of the team. I think if he dosent have a few outstanding games in the near future (and they are running out) hes going to miss out on the world cup squad as well as missing out on the euros last time round. The roll he plays for us  is played by Bellingham and Rice better for England dont you think?, Maddison is getting the nod .

44 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

I think his lack of ability to be a convincing captain, and get respect from fellow teammates is weighing down a wee bit in the build up to the world cup IMO. Hasnt really had a good game in a while tbf(again only mo),but then again neither has the rest of the team. I think if he dosent have a few outstanding games in the near future (and they are running out) hes going to miss out on the world cup squad as well as missing out on the euros last time round. The roll he plays for us  is played by Bellingham and Rice better for England dont you think?, Maddison is getting the nod .

I think it's too late now for JWP and the odd good game will not sway Southgate who will already have decided not to take him.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Rather like a headless chicken running straight into the opposition defenders no end product

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John B said:

Rather like a headless chicken running straight into the opposition defenders no end product

But he does it at paces and it disrupts their shape. Of course that needs following up in order to take advantage of it. He’s like the ‘forlorn hope’ that used to be sent in at the front of the army to try and create a breakthrough.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2022 at 11:30, Totton Saint said:

I thought Salusi had a good game as did Pereu.

Did he?

Perraud was absolutely fucking shit in the second half IMO. He got massively outpaced by Fredricks, who isn't quick at all. Opponents can pretty much cross at will. Just run in a straight line and you leave him in your wake and bobs your uncle, simple to cross the ball. He ran out of steam after about 70 minutes, yet I don't recall him leaving his own half in the second half.  As a result his touch, passing and entire game went to pot. He mis-controlled and fucked up numerous simple passes that gave possession straight back to our opponent and placed us under pressure. When we moved to five at the back he was completely lost. Maybe not entirely his fault, but he and the midfielder should understand their roles by now. I was sat in the Bournemouth end, the same side at the Saints fan, so he was right in front of me. Couldn't get a better view of him if I tried. Woeful. 

Once he went off we tightened up. I hope Larios develops quickly. The position is his to take as Perraud is not the answer at  this level.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cambsaint said:

I thought he looked off the pace all night, I wouldn't have expected a fully fit KWP to have been beaten for speed like he was last night.

RE JWP class is permanent, form is temporary. Doubt he'll go to World Cup which will give him a well deserved break.

Unless Stuart Armstong can't last 90 minutes at full pace I don't know why he doesn't start more often, imo he is a very clever midfielder.

widely regarded by the players at the club to not only have a great engine, but technically one of if not the best. Looked sharp on Wednesday. Time to drop Aribo and get him starting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Did he?

Perraud was absolutely fucking shit in the second half IMO. He got massively outpaced by Fredricks, who isn't quick at all. Opponents can pretty much cross at will. Just run in a straight line and you leave him in your wake and bobs your uncle, simple to cross the ball. He ran out of steam after about 70 minutes, yet I don't recall him leaving his own half in the second half.  As a result his touch, passing and entire game went to pot. He mis-controlled and fucked up numerous simple passes that gave possession straight back to our opponent and placed us under pressure. When we moved to five at the back he was completely lost. Maybe not entirely his fault, but he and the midfielder should understand their roles by now. I was sat in the Bournemouth end, the same side at the Saints fan, so he was right in front of me. Couldn't get a better view of him if I tried. Woeful. 

Once he went off we tightened up. I hope Larios develops quickly. The position is his to take as Perraud is not the answer at  this level.

You really don't like him do you. A goal and an assist in the last 2 games for a team that doesn't score a lot of goals. Hoddle was very complementary about him "on the cover" for Salisu.

He's not great but nowhere near as bad as you portray him in my opinion.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Did he?

I like Perraud to be honest, he's limited technically but he doesn't half put in a shift. Always described him as a bit of a terrier type player.

He does tire a bit quickly, but I like his application and grit he brings to the team. Been a decent signing IMO.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Yozzman said:

You really don't like him do you. A goal and an assist in the last 2 games for a team that doesn't score a lot of goals. Hoddle was very complementary about him "on the cover" for Salisu.

He's not great but nowhere near as bad as you portray him in my opinion.

The 'score a goal and you must have played well' mentality sums up the lack of understanding of the game in general by football fans.

Fuck Hoddle. I sat with seven neutral fans and everyone of them pointed out how shit our left back was. 

It's amazing how many 'good' players we have considering how average a side we are.

I like Perraud. I love his work rate, but I'm sorry, he just isn't technically good enough and he's far too slow. I don't mind him being in our squad, but I want better than him. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I like Perraud to be honest, he's limited technically but he doesn't half put in a shift. Always described him as a bit of a terrier type player.

He does tire a bit quickly, but I like his application and grit he brings to the team. Been a decent signing IMO.

Yes, and when you've got the likes of Elyounoussi and Aribo who "vanish" from the game regularly, the grit and hard work Perraud brings is vital even if his running speed is average.     The quality of his crosses are consistently good and he has a sweet strike in his kit bag too.    I wouldn't be discarding him anytime soon while also hoping Larios develops quickly to provide genuine competition.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Perraud - 11 million for working hard

Elyounoussi - 15 million for working hard

A.Armstrong- 15 million for working hard

I know prices are constantly increasing but these have been poor signings. We should expect a lot more from players that cost 8 figure sums, even in this inflated market

• Like 2

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree with you about Perraud. He looks to me a tough little Frenchman. He's gritty and determined and...to quote Dave Merrington....gets stuck in ! 😁

It's what our side needs more of . I think this current Saints side look very bland. I dislike the word passion. It's bandied about too often in regards to football but we need a few more players to gee the side up I think. We are too easily bullied. I certainly do not want a team of the dreadful Bruno Fernandes carping on every bloody minute but I think there is a certain amount of character lacking in this current side. No real leaders. Oh for the days of Jimmy Case !

And I thats why I quite like Lyanco. He is different but he adds some spice and commitment to the side in my opinion. I clearly would not want him playing in every match, especially when we get a full side back again and he clearly has a mistake in him. 

But with Walker-Peters out for a while ,Livramento many weeks from selection, I presume Maitland-Niles is being considered for right back on Sunday. If that happens we need " a presence " in midfield, other wise we will be overun . ( we probably will be anyhows !)

So, for me, from what we have to choose from, I would try Lyanco in mid-fied on Sunday. It could go disastrously wrong so shoot me down after the match.

And anyhows, I will be out of the U.K, for 3 weeks,departing early Sunday morning for Germany. First overnight stop is a little hotel on the outskirts of Dortmund where they are footy mad. Sky Sports in every room plus the Stube. We expect to get there at approximately 2 pm so.....should be 1 up by then !!!!

Good luck and have a great time to all Saints fans who are going to the Emirates.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:It's what our side needs more of . I think this current Saints side look very bland. I dislike the word passion. It's bandied about too often in regards to football but we need a few more players to gee the side up I think. We are too easily bullied. I certainly do not want a team of the dreadful Bruno Fernandes carping on every bloody minute but I think there is a certain amount of character lacking in this current side. No real leaders. Oh for the days of Jimmy Case !

But with Walker-Peters out for a while ,Livramento many weeks from selection, I presume Maitland-Niles is being considered for right back on Sunday. If that happens we need " a presence " in midfield, other wise we will be overun . ( we probably will be anyhows !)

No he isn’t allowed to play against loaned from club

8 hours ago, Verbal Kint said:

Perraud - 11 million for working hard

Elyounoussi - 15 million for working hard

A.Armstrong- 15 million for working hard

I know prices are constantly increasing but these have been poor signings. We should expect a lot more from players that cost 8 figure sums, even in this inflated market

Bit harsh lumping Elyounoussi and Armstrong into the same category as Perraud.

At the end of the day 10-11m isn't going to get you a world beater, no matter how good your scouting is. It just won't happen. Forest paid a £6m fee to get Lodil - just on loan.

What you want/need from Armstrong and Elyounoussi is totally different than Perraud. As a full back we need someone who can provide width and cross (which he does) and also track back/cover multiple gaps, which he does. He tires because he's often having to patrol that entire left side himself, but his grit and determination seem to get him through.

Elyounoussi and Armstrong on the other hand were bought to score goals, provide goals and create attacking opportunities, of which neither are able to do.

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bit harsh lumping Elyounoussi and Armstrong into the same category as Perraud.

At the end of the day 10-11m isn't going to get you a world beater, no matter how good your scouting is. It just won't happen. Forest paid a £6m fee to get Lodil - just on loan.

What you want/need from Armstrong and Elyounoussi is totally different than Perraud. As a full back we need someone who can provide width and cross (which he does) and also track back/cover multiple gaps, which he does. He tires because he's often having to patrol that entire left side himself, but his grit and determination seem to get him through.

Elyounoussi and Armstrong on the other hand were bought to score goals, provide goals and create attacking opportunities, of which neither are able to do.

I don't think it's terribly harsh to lump them in the same category. At the end of the day, if £11m doesn't get you a world beating fullback then £15m certainly doesn't give you a world beating striker. Those two guys are widely criticised for not doing their jobs very well and Perraud should get equal criticism for not doing his. Creating and scoring goals is a far tougher than the job of defending and spoiling. Defending comes under far less scrutiny too. Miss a chance and we remember it. How many remember a fullback failing to keep up with a winger? The way Fredricks just jogged past him on Wednesday was revealing and he's not the only opponent that has found it easy to get to the byeline and get a cross in. All you have to do is knock the ball in front of you and run right by. No trick or skill required. 

What I want/need from a premiership fullback is top notch technical ability (touch, weight of pass, ability to get out of tight spaces), pace and acceleration, positional sense and good decision making, and of course the ability to prevent crosses/stop wide players/defend.... We have got grit and effort, which is bloody great and is what warms him to fans, me included, but I'm just saying that it would be good to get more than that. 

KWP cost £10m. It is possible to get top class with good scouting.