Bournemouth 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

Win's a win, no matter how shite. Very welcome clean sheet.

Don't know who's playing RB against Arsenal if KWP is out and AMN club tied. 

Might have to go three at the back and hope Djenepo can fill in at wing back - or give Lewis Payne a baptism of fire.

Jwp could, he’s not at his best at cm at the mo

Important to get a clean sheet there and other than Bazunu dropping that cross it was pretty comfortable.

Bazunu was excellent otherwise, and all 3 CB's played well too. We only got any vague rhythm going forward when Stuart Armstrong came on. The most disappointing part of our play was the poor passing and needless turnover of possession, especially at times when players weren't even under pressure.

Enjoy the win.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We weren’t dreadful, good substitutions and closed out the game really well.

Don't let the exception to the pattern cloud you to it's existence. It worked today, it won't on five other occasions. It's been two years of this sh*t. Just get the guy out.

Most shots Bournemouth have had this season, we rode our luck.

• Like 1

I feel like we’ve shown 1 of 2 bollocks. It’s a start. Subs did well, all of them.

AMN growing into it.

Perraud underrated.

Che, took mom over Perraud.

Eli did well at RWB which has to be a concern vs Arsenal.

I didn’t like the defensive sub with aribo either but he lives or dies but that. Tonight he lives 👍 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What a much needed win, with a fucking terrible performance.  Daylight robbery really, we were that bad.

I will say, the players left everything out there, but we are going to get absolutely rinsed by Arsenal.

Adams MoM, Perruad good as was Salisu.

Stuart Armstrong never starts, which is incredible really

Ralph OUT

We weren’t that bad. Nowhere near it.

We won, get over it.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Saints were excellent in the last 10 minutes. Kept possession well but still missed a couple of good chances for a second goal.

Yup agreed. Ralph's tactical changes the difference.

I noticed on Sunday just before West Ham scored that we were planning to bring on Lyanco. Luckily tonight we made the switch in time.

• Like 1

Just now, Ekelund said:

I feel like we’ve shown 1 of 2 bollocks. It’s a start. Subs did well, all of them.

AMN growing into it.

Perraud underrated.

Che, took mom over Perraud.

Eli did well at RWB which has to be a concern vs Arsenal.

I didn’t like the defensive sub with aribo either but he lives or dies but that. Tonight he lives 👍 

Aribo was largely a passenger and was rightly taken off. I expect, as Hoddle said, that the plan was to push the fullbacks further forward but we'll never know.

• Like 1

A win and a clean sheet, away from home, with our two best players injured. I’ll take that against any opposition, any season. If we can play well for periods against Wolves, Spurs and Everton and get zero points, I’m taking the three when we’re sh*te, no questions asked. That’s football.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What a much needed win, with a fucking terrible performance.  Daylight robbery really, we were that bad.

I will say, the players left everything out there, but we are going to get absolutely rinsed by Arsenal.

Adams MoM, Perruad good as was Salisu.

Stuart Armstrong never starts, which is incredible really

Ralph OUT

You're either an idiot or a really bad troll. Can't work out which one.

• Like 4

A much needed 3 points
But yet another truly painful watch! Really poor & think that we’ve gone backwards. Not playing together well as a team, all over the place.  Shocking passing at times & not much fight through the side apart from the normal few.  Ralph’s body language over the past week is telling - think he’s finally accepted his fate & it can’t happen soon enough! 
Stuart Armstrong & Diallo had a great impact when getting on 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

To summarise, yes it was a crap game. We didn’t produce much but Bournemouth didn’t either. Honestly didn’t feel nervous that half, just thought it passed by quite quickly.

Adams did very well. As did DCC, Salisu and Bazunu (let’s forget the dropped corner 😅).

AMN looked ok but more lethargic as time went on. Definitely needs more game time.

Aribo was poor tonight but also bear in mind AMN won’t be available for our next match and someone will have to fill in that CM/RB role so not a bad decision as things go.

Diallo looked good when he came on - probably good given the previous point.

A. Armstrong and Elyounoussi - I don’t know what they bring to the team.

For tonight at least let’s lay off with the “Ralph Out” crap - enjoy the result against our “rivals” (as described from Bournemouth fans), and take the win.

I wouldn’t say tonight looked like a team not playing for the manager. 👍🏻

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanlee said:

Ralph's still shit but very pleased with any type of win 

A win is a win and a clean sheet too, Che put in a shift today!

But my god, watching that second half we made Bournemouth look good. The last 5 minutes were a lot better when we quit hoofing it back to them and started passing. Thank goodness they have worse strikers than us.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We weren’t that bad. Nowhere near it.

We won, get over it.

Thought it was a fairly accurate review to be honest. Lacking in any real quality going forwards, lucky to get away with it with some decent defensive performances and very hard working. Thankfully Solanke is utter toilet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whelk said:

Diallo was fucking brilliant

I did think he was excellent when he came on. Kept the ball well in some difficult positions. I still think that, to keep it solid, a midfield 3 of Lavia (when back fit), JWP and Diallo is our best option. Without Lavia having Diallo there might mitigate the weakness of AMN’s defensive side of his game.

• Like 2

Horrible performance, so wasteful with the ball, but a hard fought win. One thing's for sure, Ralph has not lost the dressing room.

CB's were good, ditto Perraud, AMN improving, Adams was great, the subs decent especially Diallo and Stu. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

I did think he was excellent when he came on. Kept the ball well in some difficult positions. I still think that, to keep it solid, a midfield 3 of Lavia (when back fit), JWP and Diallo is our best option. Without Lavia having Diallo there might mitigate the weakness of AMN’s defensive side of his game.

Diallo and Lavia in midfield and JWP at RB for the Arsenal game, would give us a good chance to see how they both play together.

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Well it wasn’t daylight robbery for a start. Bournemouth might argue they deserved a point but nothing more. We defended well I thought. 

The vast majority on here believe we were very bad.  Even Adams has said we were not good.  It was an awful performance and bournemouth had more shots than any game this season.  Play like that against Arsenal, it will be a battering.

However, the players gave everything and the last 5 mins was good....

Daylight robbery is probably a tad strong, but we were shite

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Got to be happy with that.
Aribo a bit anonymous, wondering if an old fashion number 10 free role behind the 2 strikers would suits him better (although I think that's the perfect role for Stu).
Defensively pretty sound. DCC, Salisu and Lyanco did well. Perraud is a pit bull. Hope KWP is ok.
Che and Arma need to start the next 5 games together up front to really build on that partnership.
Loved the last 10mins Tiki-taka.

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Ralph out like a shot to do an interview  obvs

It would be great for once if he said, "we were shit for 70mins and 1 piece of excellent finishing from che got us this win.  I asked around the groundstaff if anyone had seen Aribo today as I didnt see him out on the pitch at all during the game. But fuck me my arsehole was going for the last 15mins until I brought on subs who remembered this is football and you can pass to each other"

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our first win in god knows how long was always going to be like this, nervy, backs against the wall for periods. We were fortunate Bournemouth couldn't really muster much quality up top, as we kept giving them the ball back. We did defend well against them though, I don't remember many 'clear cut' chances.

My main criticism of our game - our ball retention was horrendous. Key players like KWP, JWP just tossing it away time and time again in really dangerous positions. AMN looks too casual on the ball; I don't know why he thinks he can dally around on it. 

Adams clearly the best forward we had, put a shift in, run their defenders around and got the goal. Adam Armstrong put in a shift, he ran around but he hasn't got the physicality to offer what Adams does and he also doesn't have the ability to offer anything else...so he's a pretty mute player really.

Not a great game to watch, not much to be excited about - but we needed to get a win by hook or crook and that's what it was at the end of the day.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but that reaction between Djenepo, Che and Ralph at the end was a bit weird.

#drewsurmanderby

Think it was because Che thought he should have passed at the end and score a second