Liverpool 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Dman

3 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

I think I'd offer him back to Blackburn on loan in January as part of a plan to buy (or loan) Brereton Diaz. Although paper talk is now that ManUre are sniffing around BBD so we probably have no chance. 

When was the last time united bought a player from the championship?

2 hours ago, Chez said:

We bought Ricky Lambert from the 3rd div so there may be some gems out there providing they are researched properly-something we have not been very good at in the past.

13 minutes ago, rooney said:

We bought Ricky Lambert from the 3rd div so there may be some gems out there providing they are researched properly-something we have not been very good at in the past.

RL had three years to fine tune his game with us before arriving in the Premiership, we'll never know how or if he would have made the jump straight from L1.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, derry said:

I know it's off the subject but I've remembered who his attitude reminds me of. Without the individual mannerisms and transparent blatant arrogance he reminded me of the great Brian Clough in his early years. 

Not sure about that comparison, but if his methods work half as well as Clough at Derby (never mind Forest) then great.

But was there anything left of Clough's early personality if you stripped the arrogance away ? Bloke was insufferable in his time at Derby.

1 hour ago, rooney said:

We signed Rickie Lambert and a mere three seasons later he played his first game in the Premier League.

18 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Alan Pardew - told him straight to sort out his chip butty lifestyle - Rickie himself said it was the best advice he had.

I don’t think it was even what you’d call advice. I believe he was pretty much told before he signed that we’d double his wages at Rovers but we’d be monitoring his physical parameters down to the last fart and expected a big improvement in that area.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t think it was even what you’d call advice. I believe he was pretty much told before he signed that we’d double his wages at Rovers but we’d be monitoring his physical parameters down to the last fart and expected a big improvement in that area.

Pardew called him into his office got him to lift his t-shirt up and hun he was a disgrace. They sorted his fitness out and the rest is history. Although he’s not stuck to it since retiring, a big lad now

14 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure, there was Nick Powell from Crew but think there were L1.

Diaz isn't the sort of signing I'd expect them to make, but they do have a very sporadic transfer policy.

Did Rickie really score 15 goals for us in the first Prem season? For some reason I thought, like the side as a whole, he took a season to find his feet. I know this forum is 90% us moaning, but it's great to be able to post positively and the guy was bloody brilliant wasn't he? Finding another Sir Rickie ain't gonna be easy. If we do look to bring in a relatively big target man (although Che might be asked to perform that role possibly), then someone with his fantastic touch, ability to bully and position his body to win headers/bring the ball down and of course fantastic finishing, is essential to make up for (perhaps) lack of pace. 

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

Did Rickie really score 15 goals for us in the first Prem season? For some reason I thought, like the side as a whole, he took a season to find his feet. I know this forum is 90% us moaning, but it's great to be able to post positively and the guy was bloody brilliant wasn't he? Finding another Sir Rickie ain't gonna be easy. If we do look to bring in a relatively big target man (although Che might be asked to perform that role possibly), then someone with his fantastic touch, ability to bully and position his body to win headers/bring the ball down and of course fantastic finishing, is essential to make up for (perhaps) lack of pace. 

Rickie Lambert was the best signing the club made in the last sixty years as he helped us get from League 1 to Premier League and helped us win a Cup at Wembley

I know Keegan and that generation were great signings too but Rickie and Terry Paine before did so much in getting us to the top League

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

Trying to think who might do a job, Viktor Gyokeres seems to be looking more and more impressive at Championship level. He may lack the absolute physicality Jones would be looking for mind.

Edited by Colinjb

On 13/11/2022 at 09:13, saintant said:

Did nobody think to ask if he can get Adam Armstrong scoring? From what I've seen we bought him then proceeded to play in a system that would never get the best out of him and, not surprisingly, his confidence is shot. Unless Nathan Jones and his coaches study videos of his goals for Blackburn and decide they can adjust our style of play so that he gets himself in more of those scoring positions then we might as well cut our losses and sell him for what we can get. He can score goals but not in a team employing the tactics we did under Ralph. Personally I feel quite sorry for the guy because he's fed off scraps since the first game he played - when, of course, he scored a cracking goal against Everton. 

Totally agree - if you look at that Everton goal it will show what we don’t do enough of and to my mind is completely different to the manner in which most of our attacking moves take place.  Much more dynamic, with the scorer arriving later into the area and receiving a well placed pass allowing a clinical strike.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

43 minutes ago, Chez said:

Rickie scored in ours and his first PL game v Man C didn't he? There was only ever one Rickie Lambert one of the few ex-Saints players not to be slagged off on here after he left us. That tells you something.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

On 13/11/2022 at 09:13, saintant said:

Did nobody think to ask if he can get Adam Armstrong scoring? From what I've seen we bought him then proceeded to play in a system that would never get the best out of him and, not surprisingly, his confidence is shot. Unless Nathan Jones and his coaches study videos of his goals for Blackburn and decide they can adjust our style of play so that he gets himself in more of those scoring positions then we might as well cut our losses and sell him for what we can get. He can score goals but not in a team employing the tactics we did under Ralph. Personally I feel quite sorry for the guy because he's fed off scraps since the first game he played - when, of course, he scored a cracking goal against Everton. 

It dosent matter how we play if the player in question cannot finish his dinner, watching his clips at Blackburn he had so much confidence to take shots outside the box. Armstrong for us dosent even try shots inside the box. Everton goal was a good finish but he was one on one with the keeper - maybe we should show that clip to Che Adams on repeat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Finding another Sir Rickie ain't gonna be easy. If we do look to bring in a relatively big target man (although Che might be asked to perform that role possibly), then someone with his fantastic touch, ability to bully and position his body to win headers/bring the ball down and of course fantastic finishing, is essential to make up for (perhaps) lack of pace. 

You might laugh at me but I really do think if we asked Cristiano Ronaldo nicely, he would come to us.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Rickie scored in ours and his first PL game v Man C didn't he? There was only ever one Rickie Lambert one of the few ex-Saints players not to be slagged off on here after he left us. That tells you something.

You're right, he wasn't slagged off but maybe he should have been, his departure started the exodus to Liverpool. He had become the leader and that is where he led them. Of course it would be wonderful to have another Rickie--just what we need

9 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

It dosent matter how we play if the player in question cannot finish his dinner, watching his clips at Blackburn he had so much confidence to take shots outside the box. Armstrong for us dosent even try shots inside the box. Everton goal was a good finish but he was one on one with the keeper - maybe we should show that clip to Che Adams on repeat. 

Yeah so true, clearly his confidence is shot, but he doesn’t make runs in behind, he’s always looking to come short, (which could be tactical but unlikely). He so rarely hits the target, on the off chance he can get a shot off. He’s been a massive let down at saints since he joined annoyingly. I don’t see that changing unless he gets a season on loan somewhere to learn how to score again. Maybe Celtic?!

8 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

He earned more from the ‘kiss and tell’ interview with Porky Morgan than he’d earn with us…..

It wouldn't be about the money, in fact he will prove it's never been about the money as he joins a "historic, ambitious" club, he will start every game upfront with Che/Edozie/Mara, he will share his wealth of experience and professionalism with our nippers who will look up to him, he will improve JWP, etc.

13 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah so true, clearly his confidence is shot, but he doesn’t make runs in behind, he’s always looking to come short, (which could be tactical but unlikely). He so rarely hits the target, on the off chance he can get a shot off. He’s been a massive let down at saints since he joined annoyingly. I don’t see that changing unless he gets a season on loan somewhere to learn how to score again. Maybe Celtic?!

I have made it clear in the past that I'm a fan of Armstrong, and I agree that much of the above is true, particularly re. the confidence bit, but I see a player who spent much of this season clearly playing to instructions. Perhaps Jones will get more from him, especially because he may know more about him from his Blackburn days, where he was obviously a dangerous forward.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Duties shared?

Ronaldo is a "family man" (family first, football second) and we are a "family club". We had some of the best players in the world playing for us once upon a time - Kevin Keegan and Peter Shilton - so why not?

They didn't get paid £500k a week though.