Liverpool 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Dman

It's still pretty tight in the bottom half so not too concerned we're in a relegation spot now. I think with a combination of players coming back from injury, a decent January window and Nathan Jones and coaches working hard during the world cup break we'll look a different team. That's what I'm hoping anyway and today wasn't all negatives there were some positives to take from that performance.

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

We better see better performances otherwise were down . Tighten up and play a higher pressing game in the inform period that we had under Ralph. Need a striker. Be more positive and dont be afraid to make fuck ups ,go for it .

we pressed, were more positive, didn't seem afraid today and went for it. Just the tightening up, better performances and striker required then.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I love the way ‘pressing’ is seen as a new thing.  Mentioned on here a lot, commentators talk about ‘the press’.

Absolute load of bollocks.  It used to be just called closing down, and Liverpool in the 80s were the best around at it.

’Pressing, the press, false 9’ fuck off.  Load of twaddle.

Rant over.  

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I still think it’s worth exploring Diallo in a midfield 3, with JWP and Lavia. It’s far from ideal, but in the rare cases when Diallo has looked it’s ok it’s been when he’s been further up the pitch and looking to break the lines. In a 2 man midfield he’s mostly hopeless, but I still cling to the hope that in a 3 (and the more advanced of the 3) he might be ok. Perhaps it’s clutching at straws but I think it would also make our central midfield a bit more solid. Also might give a bit more licence to have Edozie involved from the start, and then I’d go S Armstrong on the right and Adams up top. At least until the January window when, let’s face it, any new people in are going to be challenging for a first team spot straight away.

Not seen anything from Diallo to suggest he can score goals, unlock a defence and lay in Che, which is what we will need to do if playing in that central forward midfield role. Not sure Ely is going to grab a game by the balls though, so he may get his chance, although Aribo may be next in line. He's been shite for over a month now though, so will need to see a big improvement. Got some time to try it in training.  Whether NJ will go with that formation I am not sure. Feels very attacking,

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

we pressed, were more positive, didn't seem afraid today and went for it. Just the tightening up, better performances and striker required then.

With someone other than Walcott or A Armstrong to partner Che we may of made that interesting.

We always struggle with their front line but second half I thought we gave it ago and with some much needed quality in the attacking third we may have stood a chance.

The issue is it may be hard to convince someone with the quality we need to sign for a bottom 3 side in the new year.

If we can’t we may as well give Mara a run of games rather than persist with the two mentioned above. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JRM said:

AMN hopefully won't be needed at right back in 6 weeks time, KWP and Livramento expected to be out even longer than that? 

Personally I don't think Livramento will be back after the break.If he plays this season we will be lucky. N ides about KWP. If he has torn his hamstring, he could be out for several months easily. If he does come back, I'd have him at left back ahead of Perraud and AMN at right back. It would be nice to have some options. 

12 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

How could I.  And Xg whatever the fuck that is.

Fucking load of shit, spouted by absolute fuckwits who wear tight jeans and have got stupid fucking beards.

Let me guess your a middle aged over weight bald man 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, northam soul said:

With someone other than Walcott or A Armstrong to partner Che we may of made that interesting.

We always struggle with their front line but second half I thought we gave it ago and with some much needed quality in the attacking third we may have stood a chance.

The issue is it may be hard to convince someone with the quality we need to sign for a bottom 3 side in the new year.

If we can’t we may as well give Mara a run of games rather than persist with the two mentioned above. 

Walcott did OK when he came on. Kept it simple, kept it moving forward, made some good runs and we got a couple of decent crosses in fro that side as a result. 

AA on the other hand is just running out of time at this level. I guess they both are.

Not sure what Mara brings to the party. Not much so far.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Didnt expect to get anything, but Forest and Bournemouth winning has made it a really crap saturday. Thank god we've a 6 week break from this now. We need to hit the ground running on our return or we're in danger of being cut adrift

Unfortunately after 6 weeks nothing will change. The only hope will be what the owners achieve in January,and personally iam not expecting anything.

Someone stick a fork in this club ,because I think it's done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Personally I don't think Livramento will be back after the break.If he plays this season we will be lucky. N ides about KWP. If he has torn his hamstring, he could be out for several months easily. If he does come back, I'd have him at left back ahead of Perraud and AMN at right back. It would be nice to have some options. 

Interesting you say that, this was from two months ago 

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/tino-livramento-southampton-injury-update-7577650

And I've heard he's making good progress behind the scenes. 

Always possible to have a set back. 

KWP odd one, didn't seem that bad at Bournemouth they even thought it might be cramp initially , back by Christmas should be possible 

55 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I love the way ‘pressing’ is seen as a new thing.  Mentioned on here a lot, commentators talk about ‘the press’.

Absolute load of bollocks.  It used to be just called closing down, and Liverpool in the 80s were the best around at it.

’Pressing, the press, false 9’ fuck off.  Load of twaddle.

Rant over.  

what are your thoughts on the term "low block"...?  This is something heard a fair bit lately

🤣

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

Unfortunately after 6 weeks nothing will change. The only hope will be what the owners achieve in January,and personally iam not expecting anything.

Someone stick a fork in this club ,because I think it's done.

Is it fuck. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

Interesting you say that, this was from two months ago 

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/tino-livramento-southampton-injury-update-7577650

And I've heard he's making good progress behind the scenes. 

Always possible to have a set back. 

KWP odd one, didn't seem that bad at Bournemouth they even thought it might be cramp initially , back by Christmas should be possible 

I remember seeing the video of him jogging and doing quite challenging (looping leg over the ball) ball juggling. I thought that bode well, but I'm just not going to get my hopes up. We wont rush him back as it could end his career.

Ralph said a couple of times regarding KWP that "it's very bad" - that doesn't sound good to me. 

36 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

How could I.  And Xg whatever the fuck that is.

Fucking load of shit, spouted by absolute fuckwits who wear tight jeans and have got stupid fucking beards.

I don’t like hearing the rugby  ‘recycle/recycled’ word when the football term is keeping possession. Using the word recycle anywhere near football isn’t a hipster thing, it’s a shitster thing. 

• Like 2

Just now, Daft Kerplunk said:

I don’t like hearing the rugby  ‘recycle/recycled’ word when the football term is keeping possession. Using the word recycle anywhere near football isn’t a hipster thing, it’s a shitster thing. 

Like the phrase "mind games" back in the day

18 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

What about that silly word 'transition' for loosing possesion?

• Like 1

The signs were there of more dynamism with a higher tempo. Personally I think the manager did the right thing. In real time he had a look at 15 outfield players. He will be viewing plenty of videos. I'm sure he will have identifed the core and the surplus to requirement list. AMN, ABK, Caleta-Car,Salisu, Lyanco, Perraud, KWP, Livramento, Larios, Lavia, JWP, S. Armstrong, Edozie, Aribo, Adams possibly the core. Elyounoussi is a mystery, Shows some nice touches but shirks the hard yards. Doesn't make an effort to cover problems and can't tackle. I see him as a luxury we can't afford. I've had it with A.Armstrong but who's going to want him on his salary. Maybe swap him for Brereton-Diaz and send him back to Blackburn or a loan and subsidise the move. We have to get a couple of reliable goalscorers up front. Walcott looks neat and tidy but that's not enough. Mara, Djenepo,and Diallo are unreliable and on the fringe. 

I like the intent and the very close to the surface steely resolve. I don't think there will be any sub-hundred percenters allowed. I think we will see a totally different team after the World Cup.

• Like 10

Posting before reading others. Thought we played pretty well and were unlucky not to score a second or even a third. At the end of the day the difference was the goalkeepers. Bazunu should have saved the first...for a young goalie he should be able to get his feet across to that looping header...has to save that. Contrast Alison who made three goal-saving saves. Yes Bazunu did well on a couple of others...but at 2-1 we always had a chance. At 3-1 it's game over before half-time.

Think with a new striker, players returning and this level of energy we will stage a recovery after the World Cup.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Crack on then, tell me a game where we earned points and you thought after "blimey, Bazunu kept us in that".

According to all the national media and Saints fan pages, he pulled off some amazing saves and kept us in it. 

I'm sure that's not true though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

According to all the national media and Saints fan pages, he pulled off some amazing saves and kept us in it. 

I'm sure that's not true though. 

He should've done better on the first one today but he did make some decent saves. It's certainly not the biggest issue we have, that's for sure. 

• Like 4

We started well but after that for 25 mins in the 1st half we were schooled..

2nd half early subs changed the game for me .. going to a 4 at the back with Amn and Lyanco i Thought we were excellent in there.

Edoize needs to start games now for me.  He’s so sharp and was very unlucky not to score .. prowsey looks a different animal with Lavia along side him .. two pluses for me after looking lightweight for so long .. lucky lavia only went off with cramp . 
Ely looked exposed 1st half down the flank .. but worked his nuts off 2nd half.

Bazunu kept it respectable today with a couple of worldies but shocking for 1st goal very poor set piece to concede.  We pressed and hunted down in the 2nd half like monsters and that’s wot we were all looking for today including NR.

I know we are 2nd bottom but I take heart from that performance and was better than anything Ralph cooked up in the last 7-8 months.

The fixture list looks kind for 8 or so games after the wc .. we need 13/14 points minimum to stand a chance .. 

Hopefully a new striker in January we could be looking down in February instead of up .

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

He should've done better on the first one today but he did make some decent saves. It's certainly not the biggest issue we have, that's for sure. 

I’m not going to get on Bazunu’s back, but I do think it is one of our biggest problems. Our goal difference is one of the worst in the league, and we’ve had one clean sheet in the league all season. Of course, not all of those are down to Bazunu; but when you go somewhere like Liverpool you need to frustrate them and keep it tight. Gifting them that after 5 minutes is just a body blow. There’s been too many goals conceded where the finger can justifiably be pointed at him.

I thought Bazunu’s saves today were excellent. But he also had a couple of flappy moments in addition to the first goal. He really needs to minimise all of that that. On current form I think he’s perhaps on a par with McCarthy and not as good as Forster was last season, and that’s a real problem.

• Like 2

Loving some the snippets I am seeing from NJ about the game today (sorry lots of ad hoc tweets).

Saying things like Lavia is a great on the ball but needs to work harder off it, we were too passive in the game and he wants us to be agressive the entire game etc.

I'll stick on songs of praise for you tomorrow nath

Found it

Nathan Jones on Romeo Lavia: “In possession he is wonderful but out of possession we need to work with him and he needs to get better. Once he does that, he'll be some talent.”

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

Agree with most of the comments on here.

Promising going forward as the players were braver rather than pass, pass, keeper BOOM.

I reckon the players will have a weeks break and then back for a series of friendlies.

My prediction, finish 12th as I reckon we have a gem in Nathan Jones.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, derry said:

The signs were there of more dynamism with a higher tempo. Personally I think the manager did the right thing. In real time he had a look at 15 outfield players. He will be viewing plenty of videos. I'm sure he will have identifed the core and the surplus to requirement list. AMN, ABK, Caleta-Car,Salisu, Lyanco, Perraud, KWP, Livramento, Larios, Lavia, JWP, S. Armstrong, Edozie, Aribo, Adams possibly the core. Elyounoussi is a mystery, Shows some nice touches but shirks the hard yards. Doesn't make an effort to cover problems and can't tackle. I see him as a luxury we can't afford. I've had it with A.Armstrong but who's going to want him on his salary. Maybe swap him for Brereton-Diaz and send him back to Blackburn or a loan and subsidise the move. We have to get a couple of reliable goalscorers up front. Walcott looks neat and tidy but that's not enough. Mara, Djenepo,and Diallo are unreliable and on the fringe. 

I like the intent and the very close to the surface steely resolve. I don't think there will be any sub-hundred percenters allowed. I think we will see a totally different team after the World Cup.

Great Post, exactly how I see it.

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Loving some the snippets I am seeing from NJ about the game today (sorry lots of ad hoc tweets).

Saying things like Lavia is a great on the ball but needs to work harder off it, we were too passive in the game and he wants us to be agressive the entire game etc.

I'll stick on songs of praise for you tomorrow nath

Just watched the BBC interview with him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63523917 

Let’s be honest, he’s not really saying anything we don’t know. I’ll say that I have more faith in him than I would have in Ralph to sort out the problems he talks about: too passive, gave them too much time, need to work harder off the ball etc., but that’s what any new manager coming says.

He’s definitely making the right noises. We just need to see how that translates to changes on the pitch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just watched the BBC interview with him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63523917 

Let’s be honest, he’s not really saying anything we don’t know. I’ll say that I have more faith in him than I would have in Ralph to sort out the problems he talks about: too passive, gave them too much time, need to work harder off the ball etc., but that’s what any new manager coming says.

He’s definitely making the right noises. We just need to see how that translates to changes on the pitch.

He's spot on in terms of we are far too passive and need to be more aggressive. These failings are why we concede so many goals and Ralph never came near to doing anything to make things better. Far too often,including today, we give teams time and space to play their football and you just can't do that in the Premier League. He obviously explained this to the players at half time and we came out much tighter after the break. I like the fact that he had the balls to step up and take this match with very little preparation time and he clearly learned a lot about what sort of things we are struggling with. Now,him and the coaches have 6 weeks of hard work to get them drilled and doing the right things at the right time. Early days of course but Nathan Jones seems to be a coach who will expect and demand high standards in terms of commitment, effort and work with and against the ball. I am more optimistic than I was six days ago.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Agree with most of the comments on here.

Promising going forward as the players were braver rather than pass, pass, keeper BOOM.

I reckon the players will have a weeks break and then back for a series of friendlies.

My prediction, finish 12th as I reckon we have a gem in Nathan Jones.

Not quite sure I share your optimistic outlook. I think we are easily amongst the three worst clubs in the league. Am not sure if we can put this right even with a transfer window coming up. I think we are going down this season. Love to be proved wrong, but the lack of real quality in the final third is going to be our undoing.

32 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not quite sure I share your optimistic outlook. I think we are easily amongst the three worst clubs in the league. Am not sure if we can put this right even with a transfer window coming up. I think we are going down this season. Love to be proved wrong, but the lack of real quality in the final third is going to be our undoing.

Why do people feel the need to say this? I mean it’s obvious isn’t it, otherwise you’re probably posting on the wrong forum.

• Like 1