Liverpool 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Dman

22 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Thanks. Can’t get it to work on iPad / iPhone though. Nevermind!

https://reddit5.soccerstreams.net/ if youre into streaming , you need a non mobile device ideally, tablets and phones never work 100% right with all website based streams in my experience. They can work better for streaming if you install kodi and use that to stream, need corect add ons though

Edited by Spark
extra info
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest today bazunu has had a positive game even after the poor start, 1 of the saves was world class with his left hand.

Someone who doesnt ever seem to score for us is Mr OG, when was the last time we had an own goal ?

Or a penalty in the league.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spark said:

https://reddit5.soccerstreams.net/ if youre into streaming , you need a non mobile device ideally, tablets and phones never work 100% right with all website based streams in my experience. They can work better for streaming if you install kodi and use that to stream, need corect add ons though

Thanks - used to be good on hesgoal but struggled since! Thanks 

FT.  I would say way more positives than negatives.  more so when we ditched the 3/5 at the back set up.

2nd half was much better, some decent patterns of play and should have scored at least 1 more.  Did we grow into the game due to their players easing of? Maybe.

Adams my saints MoM

• Like 2

Could have been worse I suppose. 

NJ will have learned a few lessons from that at least - like using a back 3 doesn't work for us, and that A Arma is not a PL striker.

2nd half performance was much improved and we created a few decent chances. 

Play as well as that or better for the rest of the season, and sign a striker that won't panic every time he gets in shooting positions, and I reckon we could be alright.

3-1 at Anfield is better than many of our results up there and we created some decent chances with quite a few efforts on target. Much better after going to a back 4. We didn't get hammered and their keeper had to make some good saves. An encouraging start and Jones would have learned a lot today. Now he has some time working with the squad and I think we'll see a real difference after the world cup. 

• Like 2

Much better than I was expecting. Ok, Liverpool may have taken their foot off the gas a bit, but we were excellent in the 2nd half, and could have sneaked something had it not been for two excellent Allison saves. Also thought Bazunu recovered well from his early mistake. If NJ can stop us conceding sloppy goals, we bring in a couple in the window, then maybe we have a chance.

• Like 3

Overall we did alright.

I liked how we pressed later on in the game. That showed good spirit.

I thought NJ made the change at the right time and it worked well. Five at the back sucks and we should not be playing it.

AMN did well when he came on. I thought Che did a decent job holding the ball up at time. Lavia was neat and tidy. JWP looks a lot better player with hm next to him. He knows there will be a man covering him. ABK had a mix bag as did the keeper.

• Like 1

I'm actually relatively positive after that 2nd half. We could well go into the elongated break rock bottom but the gap is negligible an plenty of time of NJ to work with the players. IF we get a striker worthy of the name in I think we've got a decent shout of staying up.

• Like 1

I personally thought we were crap

Adam Armstrong is not a Premiership level capable striker and does nothing.... 

Defence all over the shop 

Few nice bits of play 2nd half granted... 

This team needs surgery / strengthening with some grit and a striker who can actually finish otherwise we are toast.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Overall we did alright.

I liked how we pressed later on in the game. That showed good spirit.

I thought NJ made the change at the right time and it worked well. Five at the back sucks and we should not be playing it.

AMN did well when he came on. I thought Che did a decent job holding the ball up at time. Lavia was neat and tidy. JWP looks a lot better player with hm next to him. He knows there will be a man covering him. ABK had a mix bag as did the keeper.

We must pray Lavia stays fit. Hopefully that injury won't see him out for weeks just as NJ starts to train his system.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

Interesting that we went to 4-2-3-1. It feels very attacking. Comments before the game from the Luton fans on here was that NJ doesn't like/play wingers, but his first change put two on, which worked OK.

With no strikers, makes sense to only play one.

Aribo has been utter dross, so that position in the middle might be retained by Ely. Other than Walcott, I am not sure who can fill that right side -with Edozie obviously taking this left side. Shame we won't find out for a while...

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

We must pray Lavia stays fit. Hopefully that injury won't see him out for weeks just as NJ starts to train his system.

Very worrying as our midfield isn't the best as it is. Diallo isn't up to the job and AMN needs to play right back on today's showing. Good month to recover now.

I hope Lavia's OK.

That possible injury apart, there was enough there to show a pretty dynamic team. One or more of two things has to happen, though. 1) get a lethal striker 2) NJ to find a way of unblocking whatever it is that is blocking Che and Adam A. There are brilliant strikers in there somewhere (certainly in Che's case, and maybe AA too). But their % of chances take just has to rise.

One other big positive today. If there was a concern that our premier league talent would look down its nose at lowly NJ, that seems already disproven. There was a lot of fire evident today.  Personally, I think we'll begin moving up the table after the break, and we'll all get a chance to be genuinely excited about the team.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

3-1 at Anfield is better than many of our results up there and we created some decent chances with quite a few efforts on target. Much better after going to a back 4. We didn't get hammered and their keeper had to make some good saves. An encouraging start and Jones would have learned a lot today. Now he has some time working with the squad and I think we'll see a real difference after the world cup. 

We better see better performances otherwise were down . Tighten up and play a higher pressing game in the inform period that we had under Ralph. Need a striker. Be more positive and dont be afraid to make fuck ups ,go for it .

• Confused 1

I love the way ‘pressing’ is seen as a new thing.  Mentioned on here a lot, commentators talk about ‘the press’.

Absolute load of bollocks.  It used to be just called closing down, and Liverpool in the 80s were the best around at it.

’Pressing, the press, false 9’ fuck off.  Load of twaddle.

Rant over.  

Edited by Wade Garrett
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

We desperately need 2 cm's one defensive and one box-box, Lavia will get injured again so we need cover. Jwp needs to be moved further up, thats where he's more effective. A new striker is also really needed, i'd offload AA and maybe a loan out for Mara, get rid of Diallo and im praying i wont see Elyounoussi in a starting lineup again with Tino and Kwp back soon and Edozie doing ok again when he's given the chance.

Defence is really a major problem, im hoping during the WC NJ can work some magic and get it all sorted.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Very worrying as our midfield isn't the best as it is. Diallo isn't up to the job and AMN needs to play right back on today's showing. Good month to recover now.

I still think it’s worth exploring Diallo in a midfield 3, with JWP and Lavia. It’s far from ideal, but in the rare cases when Diallo has looked it’s ok it’s been when he’s been further up the pitch and looking to break the lines. In a 2 man midfield he’s mostly hopeless, but I still cling to the hope that in a 3 (and the more advanced of the 3) he might be ok. Perhaps it’s clutching at straws but I think it would also make our central midfield a bit more solid. Also might give a bit more licence to have Edozie involved from the start, and then I’d go S Armstrong on the right and Adams up top. At least until the January window when, let’s face it, any new people in are going to be challenging for a first team spot straight away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I still think it’s worth exploring Diallo in a midfield 3, with JWP and Lavia. It’s far from ideal, but in the rare cases when Diallo has looked it’s ok it’s been when he’s been further up the pitch and looking to break the lines. In a 2 man midfield he’s mostly hopeless, but I still cling to the hope that in a 3 (and the more advanced of the 3) he might be ok. Perhaps it’s clutching at straws but I think it would also make our central midfield a bit more solid. Also might give a bit more licence to have Edozie involved from the start, and then I’d go S Armstrong on the right and Adams up top. At least until the January window when, let’s face it, any new people in are going to be challenging for a first team spot straight away.

Spot on. If you pick Diallo then play him in a three in an advanced position. On no account expect him to play defensively in a two because that is not his game. I wish someone at the club would realise this because it's been obvious for long enough now.

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

AMN hopefully won't be needed at right back in 6 weeks time, KWP and Livramento expected to be out even longer than that? 

19 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I love the way ‘pressing’ is seen as a new thing.  Mentioned on here a lot, commentators talk about ‘the press’.

Absolute load of bollocks.  It used to be just called closing down, and Liverpool in the 80s were the best around at it.

’Pressing, the press, false 9’ fuck off.  Load of twaddle.

Rant over.  

Don't forget the all important gegenpress, whatever the fuck that is.