Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

8 minutes ago, Stokieinpeace said:

Feel very sorry for you guys you don’t deserve Jones. It’s a repeat of his tenure at Stoke where he tried his "fabulous" diamond system but didn’t have the players to utilise it. He left us at the bottom of league 1 after 15 games of his 2nd season. As time goes on he will start to get panicked and make even more bizarre decisions. The bloke seems out of his depth anywhere but Luton where he will end up again. 

His full quotes below are already bizarre enough. It’s just not how a confident manager - in any field - talks in public. Looking forward to him doing it his way and hope it works 🤣:

I'm really, really disappointed. First of all I'm disappointed for the fans. The biggest thing for me and I want to be brutally honest with this, I have let the players down.

"I have let the players down because I came into this club to do a job, I was recruited to do certain things and I don't see my team in there. I have pandered a little bit, I have gone away and tried to accommodate what we have. I haven't really put my own stamp on it and I should've by now, I really should have.

"I was recruited to do a certain job, to play in a certain way because my teams did really well. We defended the box, we were aggressive, front-footed, we put teams under pressure, we pressed, we counter-pressed really well. Statistically there weren't many better than me. 

"I've come here and gone away from that. I've got to get back to doing what we do really well. I won games and I've gone away from that. Whoever we played we'd go after teams. I'm not seeing that in my team now. 

"I blame myself. I should be driving the standards. Everywhere I've been I've drove standards, I haven't let anyone get away with anything. I've been on top of everyone. I've maybe got carried away that these are Premier League players and you have to give them this and that, but no more. Now I have to go back and to be me because that's not good enough.

"The manager drives standards, I took plenty of accolades at my previous clubs and manager of the year and statistically one of the best in the country one of the most aggressive managers. On an absolute shoestring by the way. Pound for pound there wasn't anyone else in the country competing like we did in terms of points per pound.

"I've gone away from that and I'm saddened. I should never have gone away from that.

"I've allowed certain things to happen, but that won't happen anymore."

"I've tried to give people what they want, I've tried to really work with the players to give them a system that suits them. But it doesn't suit me. It hasn't suited me as a manager or why I was recruited to come here."

"I was recruited to be aggressive and on the front foot and we're not that and that's where we need to get."

• Haha 7
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

We need Adam Blackmore to stand up and be counted now , feels like he is opting out of the fans forum because its being made into an orchestrated farce, most owners would sack a manager for blaming others in the manner Jones has done today , look at Scott Parker , the minute he blamed the board he was gone from Bompey .

I fear our club has rotten agenda running through it and i honestly cant see where its going to end , the players cant be happy with chopping and changing tactics every week and a manager who appears to be as unstable as the local welsh Psycho hanging about down the local Witherspoons  on curry night .

We need , a settled side , a settled formation and tactical brief and a solid dependable professional manager .

Back four with RB playing as RB and LB playing as LB , DM sittiing in front with DEF responsibilities would be a start !!!!!!

I honestly believe we have players in Midfield and up front who can compete , sulliman impressed me today reminded me a bit of Mane when he first started , Tall Paul not sure .

We have a nutter as a manager it needs sorting , we need a stable professional manager who would sort out the mess and stabilise the team , i would get Benitez to work with selles but hey in the end we have some massive egos at the top of the club and it wont happen any time soon . I actually think the best hope is that the fans get on Jones case and he is so volatile he might implode further and walk or go so far over the top that the boards hand is forced .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Blimey. Is he saying he actually wants to play long ball football, but because players want to pass it and the fans expect to see passing football he has not got players to smash it long more? 

Frankly, I neither know nor any longer care. I’m done with the twat, wake me up at k.o first game next season or - if he’s still in charge - do not.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

His full quotes below are already bizarre enough. It’s just not how a confident manager - in any field - talks in public. Looking forward to him doing it his way and hope it works 🤣:

I'm really, really disappointed. First of all I'm disappointed for the fans. The biggest thing for me and I want to be brutally honest with this, I have let the players down.

"I have let the players down because I came into this club to do a job, I was recruited to do certain things and I don't see my team in there. I have pandered a little bit, I have gone away and tried to accommodate what we have. I haven't really put my own stamp on it and I should've by now, I really should have.

"I was recruited to do a certain job, to play in a certain way because my teams did really well. We defended the box, we were aggressive, front-footed, we put teams under pressure, we pressed, we counter-pressed really well. Statistically there weren't many better than me. 

"I've come here and gone away from that. I've got to get back to doing what we do really well. I won games and I've gone away from that. Whoever we played we'd go after teams. I'm not seeing that in my team now. 

"I blame myself. I should be driving the standards. Everywhere I've been I've drove standards, I haven't let anyone get away with anything. I've been on top of everyone. I've maybe got carried away that these are Premier League players and you have to give them this and that, but no more. Now I have to go back and to be me because that's not good enough.

"The manager drives standards, I took plenty of accolades at my previous clubs and manager of the year and statistically one of the best in the country one of the most aggressive managers. On an absolute shoestring by the way. Pound for pound there wasn't anyone else in the country competing like we did in terms of points per pound.

"I've gone away from that and I'm saddened. I should never have gone away from that.

"I've tried to give people what they want, I've tried to really work with the players to give them a system that suits them. But it doesn't suit me. It hasn't suited me as a manager or why I was recruited to come here."

"I was recruited to be aggressive and on the front foot and we're not that and that's where we need to get."

Fair fucks at least this has been his tipping point, i for one hope this changes our results but nath you've used up a lot of your lifes to get here bro

15 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

What an absolute fraud. Joke leek sniffing 🤡. Rarebit can fuck off tonight!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

What the fuck is he even on about jeeze. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lone ranger said:

So in a parallel universe how did we beat ‘the best team in Europe’ ie Man City just over three weeks ago?  Had the team been doped? 

No pressure on that game, I think this is a consistent theme with this team. They'll get the win in the headline games, but when the pressure is on and they need to perform (i.e the league) they wilt. It's been a theme for years.

• Like 1

Just now, Lone ranger said:

So in a parallel universe how did we beat ‘the best team in Europe’ ie Man City just over three weeks ago?  Had the team been doped? 

Ah yes, that one, and Palace, Blackpool and Everton were when he was being true to himself, the others, err yes, some nasty men made him change things. 

He's actually got a 100% record when you look at it that way, 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

He must have said it a thousand times since he joined: "aggressive and on the front foot", but what does that actually mean? 

If it's just a press high, then I don't believe it's possible at this level with 5 at the back, if it's something else, like kicking people and running forwards a lot, what? They are just words, but what's the actual tactics, positions, things etc. that contribute towards `it'. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Chez said:

He must have said it a thousand times since he joined: "aggressive and on the front foot", but what does that actually mean? 

If it's just a press high, then I don't believe it's possible at this level with 5 at the back, if it's something else, like kicking people and running forwards a lot, what? They are just words, but what's the actual tactics, positions, things etc. that contribute towards `it'. 

According to Merriam Webster's dictionary it means

front foot

noun

: a foot measured along the front of a piece of property

called also foot front

Edited by coalman

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Front foot is a term from cricket. 

Different sport. 

29 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Enough material for an entire psychiatric conference! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

hmm. I tell you what Che could do with learning about being on the front foot. How many times does he get caught on the back foot and then not able to get on the end of half chances etc

I think you'll find that's being "caught on his heels" 🤪

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Well our fans aren't exactly the most patient and supportive bunch are they? Jones needs to go but the fans do not help matters.

Fans everywhere are much the same. Visit other forums and they are a mirror image of ours depending on whether teams are doing well or otherwise.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Kick and rush football is how I see it, the hallmarks of a lower league manager if I've ever seen one. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

hmm. I tell you what Che could do with learning about being on the front foot. How many times does he get caught on the back foot and then not able to get on the end of half chances etc

don't worry about it, we have Onuachu now and we can play two up top. Can't wait to watch our two centre midfielders getting overrun like the good old days 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

We need reporters to roast him not lickn his arse. Tell him, what? Wtf are you rambling about?

The people who interview him like Blackmore, Tanswell etc are too nice, don’t want to rock the boat. 

Not their fault, just how it is. 

Well yeah, Everton, West Ham and Newcastle fans are the most brattish in the country and admittedly we aren't those levels of Karenism.

You need to try visiting Liverpool and Man city forums after a defeat. Don't make out it's only certain clubs.

Well our fans aren't exactly the most patient and supportive bunch are they? Jones needs to go but the fans do not help matters.

To be fair I think we are, compared to most other fan bases. This guy had 6 weeks during the World Cup to get to grips, it was seen as the perfect opportunity to train and put his idea's across. He cannot even use the excuse of having his players away at the world cup, as bar two they were all there in front of him every day.

What we have come back to since the return from the World Cup are 6 league games, a targetable bunch of really important league games. Brighton at Home, Forest at Home, Fulham away, Villa at home, Brentford away, Everton away. 18 points to play for. We've got 3 points, a solitary win. In his tenure that's 6 defeats out of 7 games. 

The players do need to take their fair share, there are some right losers in this side that have been stinking this place out for years, but as a manger he has offered absolutely nothing and is showing no nous or idea of how to turn this around. All we have had from him is snipes to the fans, defensive interviews and throwing individual players under the bus. That's all at the same time as losing every game he manages. 

There is no way there can be anyone who can support him right now.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8

Nuff said. ChatGPT should be giving our press conferences.

Give a press conference in the style of Nathan Jones, manager of Southampton football club after losing 3-0 away to Brentford in the Premier League.

Good afternoon everyone and thank you for being here today.

I’d like to start by saying that I’m extremely disappointed with the result from yesterday’s match against Brentford. Our performance was far from what we expect of ourselves and I take full responsibility for that.

But let me tell you, we are not going to dwell on this defeat. This is a game of football, and we understand that ups and downs are a part of the sport. We will pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and get back to work.

I’m extremely proud of the players that we have on this team, and I know that they will give their all in the next match. They are a talented group of players and I have no doubt that they will bounce back from this.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the fans for the disappointing result. I understand that they have high expectations of this team, and it’s my job to make sure that we meet those expectations.

In conclusion, I would like to say that we are not giving up on this season. We will continue to work hard, stay positive, and strive for success. I’d like to thank you all for being here today, and I’ll take a few questions if there are any.

Rewrite that in the style of someone who is having an angry nervous breakdown and is trying to shift blame to the players while bragging about his achievements as his previous club.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me tell you, I am completely and utterly FUMING right now. I mean, what the hell happened out there yesterday?!

I want to make one thing very clear, this loss is NOT on me. I'm the best manager in the business, I brought that team from the bottom to the top and I'll do it again here.

No, this loss is on the players. They let themselves and the club down yesterday. And let me tell you, I won't tolerate this kind of performance.

I mean, come on! I've been in this game for years and I know what it takes to win. And I'm telling you, these players just don't have what it takes.

I'm not going to stand here and take the blame for this disaster. I've got a reputation to uphold, and I'm not going to let a bunch of underperforming players tarnish it.

And let's not forget, I've been successful wherever I've gone. I took that team from the lower leagues to the top of the table, I won the FA Cup, I've got a record that speaks for itself.

So, let's not forget who's in charge here. I'm the one calling the shots, and I promise you, things are going to change. These players better shape up or ship out, because I will not accept this kind of performance again.

Now, if there are any questions, I'll take a few, but be warned, I'm not in the best of moods right now.

• Haha 10

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Mara and Djenepo. Just think about that for a moment. 

Mara up the middle against Newcastle is the best striker performance I've seen from us all season apart from Che against Bournemouth. I missed the Blackpool game, but even if Mara wasn't great, why did we drop him straight away in the replay AND play Armstrong up front with Che instead? No consistency. 

Mara up the middle and Armstrong out wide was one of the few things that looked to be working, even if ti was for a short period. With Tall Pal, I don't suppose we will see that again, maybe ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Knowing "his way" from his Luton days and him saying we're going back to it is exactly the reason we should be sacking him now. Going down playing long ball hoofball. It's all so embarrassing. But knowing that we will probably keep him, and knowing that he will resort to his way of long ball, 3 at the back hoofball, then yes, if he does keep us up I will absolutely eat a slice of humble pie. In fact I'd eat the whole pie and a side of peas.

In fact if he keeps us up I'd get a tattoo of him on my butt. There I said it. And I don't even have any tattoos. Nathan Jones on my butt forever.

Nathan Jones on my butt forever sounds like a nice title for your first record 🙂

• Haha 1

Paraphrased Jones 🤡: I've come in and pissed away all the downtime during the world cup not working on my system, then I've sort of tried but the players didn't take to it,  so I've fiddled around chopping and changing burning through all our winnable games and now here we are,  it's your fault, or someone else's, not mine. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest I think I'd have gerrard from this list assuming we will get relegated anyway and he gets up playing well there and brings us up, not sure a non uk manager can come in an save us now although a fan of tedesco for what he has done in moscow and leipzig.

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 19.12.50.png

Bring back Poch.

In his defence, some of these players simply are not doing what they are paid a shit load to do. Some of them struggle to control a football and pass it to one of ours.

16 new players in two windows and is there one of those that has seriously improved us? Maybe Lavia over Romeu - although not hugely. Possibly ABK, when not injured.

Edited by Chez

I would just like to say that Jones seems extremely unstable and in all my years watching football I've never heard a premier league manager sound as insane as Jones sounded just now. So I don't know what happens now but it's pretty damn clear we're going down this season with or without Jones at the helm as I think we've wasted what winnable games we had. But I'd prefer we send the lunatic packing now and start getting ready to bounce back from the championship next season by hiring an actual sane and professional manager that knows what he's doing.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, coalman said:

Here's the full BBC interview
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64486322

He starts off better (suspect he got a bollocking) but then goes back to blaming the players. It's because he's tried to give players what they want and it's about a system that suits him, not the players.

He makes no sense. He says again that players win games not systems and then he says that Brentford were successful because all the players no exactly what they should be doing. So Brentford have a system then that their players no really well and can execute successfully. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He makes no sense. He says again that players win games not systems and then he says that Brentford were successful because all the players no exactly what they should be doing. So Brentford have a system then that their players no really well and can execute successfully. 

He contradicts himself all the way through that really, but that's just a consistent theme with everything he does. The main takeaway is that he's thrown a lot of players under the bus there, and maybe some coaches - he's not named names, but people will know who he was referring to and trust me this will not have gone down well.

Mutiny in the camp is not far away me thinks.