Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

coalman

Just now, saintant said:

Jones should have switched our tactics. At one nil up against ten men we don't need five at the back we need two quick wingers hugging the touchline and our midfield flooding forward to support our attacks with numbers. Wolves would have tired and been too busy firefighting to get into our box much. It's on the manager.

Completely agree. This is on the manager. He should have changed to a back four once they went down to ten men.

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

when questioned about whether he sensed they were on top, he tries to get out of it by saying:

"yeah we changed...were changing it..." 

but the reality is they were about to bring on a sub when they scored, but they didn't make a change before they scored to stop them scoring. He was too late.

Nothing to do with today, but the time it takes for players to be ready to come on the pitch is ridiculous.  The games changes so quickly, players should be strapped up, wearing shirts and ready to go in an instant. Annoys the fuck out of me that.

They still have to have 5 mins of instruction before they go on !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

As much as Jones has been a disastrous appointment, I absolutely despise most of our squad. 

Leaving the newbies and JWP aside, they are pathetically weak both mentally and physically. Literally no resilience or courage to be seen. Once Wolves went down to 10 you just knew that they would somehow wilt under the expectations and pressure.

Bednarek (why was he ever brought back), AMN (waste of a loan who you can tell doesnt give a fuck), Salisu (shadow of the player he was and is clearly on the way in the summer), Adams, AA, Lyanco, Diallo, Mo and Bazunu can all piss off in the summer. Gutless

I know I keep going on and on about hm, but Perraud really is poor. I know you all love him and want round pegs in round holes, but he simply isn't good enough to start games in the Prem. He's far too slow, often too lazy to track back, crap in the air, touch is ropey, crossing shit and technically just not of the standard required to excel in the Prem. Yes, he harries opponents (so long as its running away from our goal), which we all love, but that ain't nearly enough. 

We are bottom of the league for a reason. too many Championship standard players like Perraud that are poorly managed.

Somehow that tops the Forest game for worst game I’ve been to. 

Jones will now forever be a Saints villain. 

To top it all off some passionate-less ants sat near me had the cheek to tell me off for using the f word when Wolves scored their winner. 

Damage limitation time now. Obviously bring in a new manager with focus on next year in the Championship. Go down with some dignity and fight. 

Edited by Wiggles31
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

duuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr

That's his job to fix that, being against 10 men should always be an advantage. To play that down is weak and noddy behaviour, screaming of a lower league side (no shit).

I vividly remember the troubles both Man Utd and Leicester had against us once we went down to 10 men, it was absolutely to their determent. They could have got 10 had we kept 11 on the pitch.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I still don't have the foggiest what he means by "the team were front footed". What does it bloody mean?

I think he’s said it so much that even the team don’t know what it is yet.  Imagine just getting that barked at you incessantly. Ok, I’ll be front footed. How? By doing what, exactly? It’s just a hollow cliche.

1 minute ago, Lone ranger said:

How did we beat Manchester City. Was that in a parallel universe?

they were terrible on the night - giving the ball away more in 90 minutes than they usually do in an entire season. We certainly pressed them. with Armstrong, JWP, Mara and Djenepo working hard. We also gambled a bit. I still think Jones made an error in not continuing with Mara down the middle and Armstrong wide right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

To top of off some passionate-less ants sat near me had the cheek to tell me off for using the f word when Wolves scored their winner. 

Unless you were in the family stand, they can fuck off. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Just go. What a pitiful few excuses.

We lost the game because they went down to ten men.

We lost the game because Sulemana didn’t make it 2-0.

We lost the game because we had too many shots over the bar.

Nothing about the embarrassing shambles of a centre back that you picked, only for him to smash one into his own net and look like a disaster waiting to happen throughout.

Shambles of a man, and it’s always somebody else’s fault.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know I keep going on and on about hm, but Perraud really is poor. I know you all love him and want round pegs in round holes, but he simply isn't good enough to start games in the Prem. He's far too slow, often too lazy to track back, crap in the air, touch is ropey, crossing shit and technically just not of the standard required to excel in the Prem. Yes, he harries opponents (so long as its running away from our goal), which we all love, but that ain't nearly enough. 

We are bottom of the league for a reason. too many Championship standard players like Perraud that are poorly managed.

See.....I actually like Perraud. I am not suggesting that he is anything like our best defender but he always seems to give 100% and doesn't deserve a lot of the flack that he takes from some quarters on here....

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Chez said:

they were terrible on the night - giving the ball away more in 90 minutes than they usually do in an entire season. We certainly pressed them. with Armstrong, JWP, Mara and Djenepo working hard. We also gambled a bit. I still think Jones made an error in not continuing with Mara down the middle and Armstrong wide right. 

Mara isn’t big enough for Jones ball and now we have seen how amazing the fully unleashed front footed aggression if jones ball is I’m sure we are all glad he didn’t carry on with the team from the city game!  Today we looked amazing, cut the to shreds and creates chance after chance it was only the impaired backs to the wall performance from wolves and some terrible luck that stopped us winning if they hadn’t had the advantage of fewer players than us we really would have smashed them!!

Jones is a joke, how do we end up putting out that team? How do we end up throwing away what should have been the easiest three points in recent history and how is Jones aloud to run away and hide in the dressing room?  He should be out on his ear by morning I’d rather see the tea lady pick the starting 11 and just tell them to get on with it, she’s probably get a better response from the players and unless she too is bat shit crazy would get a better response from the fans.

Enough is enough, relegation is a certainty but let’s at least go down with dignity.

• Like 2

I concluded that the Jones way was 5 at the back, two up front (with Sumelana playing off Onuachu) and any free kicks we got from a sizeable distance from their goal would not be taken quickly and instead would be sent into the mixer (no bad thing). Other than that, I didn't spot any differences. We did hustle and get stuck in during the first half hour, but it wasn't a huge change. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

duuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hahahahaha

I predicted he would say exactly that about the ten men situation.

Something to the degree of it would be to our detriment and that isn’t the way we trained our tactics for the match.

Man’s a clown, every excuse under the sun. Instead of coming up with excuses, why don’t you actually manage a football squad. Better that, fuck the hell off and don’t come anywhere near Saint Mary’s ever again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

See.....I actually like Perraud. I am not suggesting that he is anything like our best defender but he always seems to give 100% and doesn't deserve a lot of the flack that he takes from some quarters on here....

he doesn't get any real flack on here, except from me. I'm clearly in the minority, and maybe completely wrong, but thats how I see it. He gives 100% when he has to runs forwards (he's perhaps that  front foot player Jones keeps going on abouts), but he's a bit lazy getting back into position some times. Even if he didn't do that, it still wouldn't be enough. 

has to be said our number 20 was the best player on the pitch today imo. the rest were pretty shit but he was good. the defence is all over the place. bednarek tried to get them up from sitting deep, but salisu thought nah fuck that was having a picnic couldn’t be arsed to move keeping them all onside. overall our two best cbs are not playing and until they sort themselves out we haven’t got a chance. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

duuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr

This is correct and has been for a long time. Find it a little strange that Jones get's booed off the pitch today but the players, who once again absolutely bottled it, got a clap from parts of the ground whilst walking around. Maybe he goes this weekend, maybe it's the right decision but experienced players going missing and shitting themselves in big moments is costing us. JWP especially should be running the game against 10 men but was beaten to everything in midfield. 

On 08/02/2023 at 09:36, Fabrice29 said:

We have a squad that until this January was recruited for a manager who primarily focused on how we would set up without the ball. It makes us a very reactive team so when teams come to St Mary’s and put the onus on us, we struggle.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, jabei said:

Because he's not very good football manager?  Yeah..I'd say so. He's not Jimmy Saville.

Of course he is not and nobody has said - so it is a bullshit argument.  He is in a role that is very highly paid and he has failed.  He has us relegated so cost the club millions, loads will lose their jobs.  And that is before even mentioning us fans who don’t expect the earth just a club we can be proud of.  He failed on every measure.  That is not bullying, it is the unfortunate truth.  He should never have been appointed. Certainly not survived last week and needs to go.  He has his millions of compensation so doesn’t need a contrarian online warrior coming to his aid. 

• Like 3

Here goes …

Odd looking team, very odd bench (DCC, ABK, Orsic?) and then when they set up like that!!! Wtf?? For a non cb, AMN actually did ok (apart from giving the ball away lots, but that’s his standard) but we have three other actual cbs, and you did worry that at some point it might be costly, especially with Janny B beside him.

It’s almost like you could predict it.

Not exactly good football to begin with, worrying overloads down our left due to our formation but definitely more front footed. And definitely more long stuff. Still, when it went 1-0 who gave a sh1t. And then 10 men!!! Surely even we could make this advantage count!

The next 30 mins then badly cost us. Wolves had lost their heads and were ripe for the taking - we could have won the game there. We didn’t push enough, and two dumb ass yellow cards in quick succession made us more passive and our chance for 2-0 before halftime went. The first dumbass culprit was of course our captain. 
The second part of the 30 mins that cost us was at halftime. I see Jones is saying the red card changed things … did he not have a full 15 minutes to sort that??? Even by his standards that’s a pathetic excuse.

Everyone knows we needed 4-3-3 at half time except Jones. 
And then he just got worse. Onuachu was shot at 65 mins, Jones prepared that sub at 72 and we conceded with the substitution waiting to happen. And of course after conceding we needed a goal - still v ten men of course, so needed 2 centre forwards. Jones chooses this moment to go 433 and play one cf. 

I mean it’s impossible to be any more moronic.

You can’t legislate for the level of individual ineptitude in both their goals, only I wouldn’t have had Bednarek or AMN on the pitch, and neither would 90% of our fans so actually yes, I will also blame Jones for that.

It was not - from a purely footballing perspective - worse than Forest. But in terms of tactics, personnel, substitutions and game management it was yet another new low for me.
Leaderless on the pitch, coached, managed and prepared woefully. There are no excuses and this will not get better without changing something drastically - we all know what the first step in that needs to be. 
Do it tonight 

Edited by Chewy
Spelling
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

Are you really harping on about Perraud again? Fuck you do hate the French.

The likes of Bednarek, AMN, Adams, Armstrong, Bazunu etc have been tragic, but you want to focus on our joint 2nd top scorer this season (from left back and in only about 15 starts) 🤯

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

This is correct and has been for a long time. Find it a little strange that Jones get's booed off the pitch today but the players, who once again absolutely bottled it, got a clap from parts of the ground whilst walking around. Maybe he goes this weekend, maybe it's the right decision but experienced players going missing and shitting themselves in big moments is costing us. JWP especially should be running the game against 10 men but was beaten to everything in midfield. 

Was bemused by he clapping. jones is woeful but these frauds have been like this for seasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

No he didn’t. He didn’t hang around and went straight down the tunnel at the final whistle. 

I clapped the players because I felt sympathy towards them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Such a depressing few years of being a Saints fan. Breaking all the wrong records. Thankfully we've already gone over Derbys total points. 

When we go down maybe we can look forward to a few more goals and wins. 

There's a few moments replayed slow motion in my mind from this afternoon that some up our experience over last few years: 

Ball breaks for their player who puts a late winner in the back of the net in front of the away end (always is isn't it, they love attacking Northam 2nd half) , a obese student looking Wolves fan in an orange hoody celebrates the goal in the home end and immediately begins filming the players celebrating shortly afterwards on his phone, eventually realising he's given himself away and gets chased out of the stand. 

We're stuck in a continual cycle of this shit and it's probably right thing for the club now to leave the Premier League,  let's be honest it's not much fun is it 

• Like 1

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone get the feeling we’ll still be waiting for his sacking after the Chelsea game? Then the one after that. Then after that etc.

Pellegrino all over again.

If he isn't gone by the end of Monday, yeah, we are stuck in purgatory again.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone get the feeling we’ll still be waiting for his sacking after the Chelsea game? Then the one after that. Then after that etc.

SR should come out and say whether they intend to give him until the end of the season because this game by game basis helps nobody.

Some thoughts ..

- Tall Paul goes down easily for big fella. Didn't do much. Didn't have a shot as far as I can remeber. Which is a worry for our star striker at home against a relegation rival.

- Alcarazz didn't look as alive as he did during the home game against Newcastle. He went AWOL second half (along with many others).

- Che did what Che does ... miss

- 5 at the back. Let's not go there.

- Sulemana by far the best player today though don't see how he fits in with hoofball. Alluding to his miss being a game changer by mad Nate was insulting.

- Mad Nate as mad as ever. 'Wolves going down to 10 was to our detriment' aka 'I didn't know what the fuck to do'. It was all Wolves' fault.

- Probably not worth sacking him now. We're down. It'll be a total reset in the summer. Many players out and that's the time to get in a new manager. I don't see the point of changing him now. New manager, new players, new era starts June 1st. (Pity we can't have new owners too).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dragon_man said:

Some thoughts ..

- Tall Paul goes down easily for big fella. Didn't do much. Didn't have a shot as far as I can remeber. Which is a worry for our star striker at home against a relegation rival.

- Alcarazz didn't look as alive as he did during the home game against Newcastle. He went AWOL second half (along with many others).

- Sulemana by far the best player today though don't see how he fits in with hoofball. Alluding to his miss being a game changer by mad Nate was insulting.

- Mad Nate as mad as ever. 'Wolves going down to 10 was to our detriment' aka 'I didn't know what the fuck to do'. It was all Wolves' fault.

- Probably not worth sacking him now. We're down. It'll be a total reset in the summer. Many players out and that's the time to get in a new manager. I don't see the point of changing him now. New manager, new players, new era starts June 1st. (Pity we can't have new owners too).

Tall Paul reminds me of the last one we had, Moody 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Are you really harping on about Perraud again? Fuck you do hate the French.

The likes of Bednarek, AMN, Adams, Armstrong, Bazunu etc have been tragic, but you want to focus on our joint 2nd top scorer this season (from left back and in only about 15 starts) 🤯

Yeah, I don't rate him so I must hate the French. He's scored two goals. Yeah. He must be fucking brilliant then.

i'm more than happy to give my opinion on those players, none of which I rate and will all be contributing to our relegation, but the rest of the board seem to have them covered.

If you rate Perraud fine. I think he's just another substandard player dragging us down to the Championship.

1 minute ago, Dragon_man said:

Some thoughts ..

We're in a bit of a conundrum. If our chosen successor is available now (be it somebody like Bosz or Tedesco - probably both unrealistic but who knows) or could be tempted away from their current club then ideally you want them in the door as early as possible to start the rebuild. Problem is they'll be be tarnished with relegation and some fans will probably turn if performances between now and the end of the season show no signs of improvement on Jonesball. 

Holding off until the summer gives us a fresh start but could leave us missing out on our preferred target and less time to work with the squad

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Here goes …

Odd looking team, very odd bench (DCC, ABK, Orsic?) and then when they set up like that!!! Wtf?? For a non cb, AMN actually did ok (apart from giving the ball away lots, but that’s his standard) but we have three other actual cbs, and you did worry that at some point it might be costly, especially with Janny B beside him.

It’s almost like you could predict it.

Not exactly good football to begin with, worrying overloads down our left due to our formation but definitely more front footed. And definitely more long stuff. Still, when it went 1-0 who gave a sh1t. And then 10 men!!! Surely even we could make this advantage count!

The next 30 mins then badly cost us. Wolves had lost their heads and were ripe for the taking - we could have won the game there. We didn’t push enough, and two dumb ass yellow cards in quick succession made us more passive and our chance for 2-0 before halftime went. The first dumbass culprit was of course our captain. 
The second part of the 30 mins that cost us was at halftime. I see Jones is saying the red card changed things … did he not have a full 15 minutes to sort that??? Even by his standards that’s a pathetic excuse.

Everyone knows we needed 4-3-3 at half time except Jones. 
And then he just got worse. Onuachu was shot at 65 mins, Jones prepared that sub at 72 and we conceded with the substitution waiting to happen. And of course after conceding we needed a goal - still v ten men of course, so needed 2 centre forwards. Jones chooses this moment to go 433 and play one cf. 

I mean it’s impossible to be any more moronic.

You can’t legislate for the level of individual ineptitude in both their goals, only I wouldn’t have had Bednarek or AMN on the pitch, and neither would 90% of our fans so actually yes, I will also blame Jones for that.

It was not - from a purely footballing perspective - worse than Forest. But in terms of tactics, personnel, substitutions and game management it was yet another new low for me.
Leaderless on the pitch, coached, managed and prepared woefully. There are no excuses and this will not get better without changing something drastically - we all know what the first step in that needs to be. 
Do it tonight 

When we were one up Bedernek got turned very very easily and very nearly we were one one. He is an absolute liability. Mr (corporal) Jones he was sent out in loan and replaced for a reason - guess you don’t see it that way which, in my mind is a sackable offence in its own let alone the very ong list on other (in your words) stuff you should be sacked for. 

Just fuck off back to the valleys and take Janny B with you.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic