Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

coalman

Played really well for the first 70 minutes, pressing well with the new signings giving us a far better presence up front for hold up play and a bit of a cutting edge.

Then we stopped pressing, probably a combination of being against 10 men giving us a false sense of security and players tiring. Then a combination of an absolute horror show defending and the wrong subs too late did for us.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Delmary said:

Useless manager. Hope the owners take control and sack the clueless idiot!

The owners don't come out of this with any credibilty. SR and, in particular Ankersen, showing they have no clue how to run a football club. We've been in a race to the bottom since they stepped through the door. Charlatans.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I know every man and dog will be calling for Jones' head, but some of the players should be criticised too. It wasn't our worst performance, thats how bad we have been this year, but it was still pretty poor.  

This. Jones is clearly out of his depth but so too are a lot of the players.

• Like 3

As fucking angry as we are let's remember most of this mess is clueless decisions at the top rasmus and SR are useless owners! Any other club would have had people step in so Jones wasn't appointed in the 1st place! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Remind me, page 10 and 11. 5pm.

Some golden posts to quote after our 3-0 win.

Ooopppsss ;) 

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Hahaha, fucking hell that second half was so bad. Pretty sure Bednarek is the worst of all our CB's including those in the U23's but still gets picked.

Could see their first goal coming a mile off, was obviously we needed to change formation and bring on subs 5 minutes before.

Baffling managerial decisions cost us the game. Surely he's gone now.

Just now, Mr X said:

As fucking angry as we are let's remember most of this mess is clueless decisions at the top rasmus and SR are useless owners! Any other club would have had people step in so Jones wasn't appointed in the 1st place! 

Yeah, whichever one of them it was (seems to be Rasmus) that made the decision to hire Jones needs to be relieved of that decision making from here on out.

• Like 4

What the fcuk did he say at half time?

"Good half lads, great intensity and imagination. Do you mind playing like you've never kicked a ball before in the 2nd half and if you can defend like France in WWII that'd be grand."

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know every man and dog will be calling for Jones' head, but some of the players should be criticised too. It wasn't our worst performance, thats how bad we have been this year, but it was still pretty poor.  

It was largely against 10 fucking men!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah, whichever one of them it was (seems to be Rasmus) that made the decision to hire Jones needs to be relieved of that decision making from here on out.

They need to be relieved of their job full stop 

6 minutes ago, Nieldy said:

Has Jones told JWP to stop going for goal on free kicks.Thats two in great areas this game.

hey he said im not going to pamper and compromise,my way is the way from now on right?.Where was the high intense pressing from when they went down to 10? or didnt we have an xg stat for that outcome? About 5-6 minutes before they equalised we looked short of confidence and started to tighten up and play with more fear rather than measured assurance.Wow just wow this is ..........................Bednareks header to who? gives them the opportunity to build on the edge of our area only to go on from it and score the winner.Whats wrong with the lad? ..............................................fuck theres no hope is there...........................

11 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

You're a clueless cunt if you applauded those players off today. They've been hiding behind two piss poor managers. Not fit to wear the shirt. Sport Republic OUT. 

Disagree. Any manager would have seen we had a couple of very tired players out there. Which is what happens when you use a lot of energy in the first half. Utterly clueless tactical decisions in the second half. The players did well in the first half but needed a manager to manage the energy levels and control the game in the second half

Edited by Dangerspoon
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

Played really well for the first 70 minutes, pressing well with the new signings giving us a far better presence up front for hold up play and a bit of a cutting edge.

Then we stopped pressing, probably a combination of being against 10 men giving us a false sense of security and players tiring. Then a combination of an absolute horror show defending and the wrong subs too late did for us.

Not sure we played really well for 70 minutes. We were ok but I guess being ok when you're normally utter shit is an achievement.

Were also helped by Lemina sending himself off.

At that point we should have pressed forward to get a second goal. 2-0 and the game is done. But we forced 1 save from their keeper from the 1v1 in remaining 70 odd minutes against 10 men.

Jones fucked himself today. Had a golden open goal to get 3 points after 30 minutes and missed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the colonel said:

Genuinely thought we were going to win today. 1-0 against ten men. was well on the cards. Then to have 1 shot on target after we score and they have player sent off Disgraceful.

Why were we play 5 at the back against 10 men?

For the first time it did seem more like a 3 at the back for first hour. Players tired though and Jones' sat and did nothing. If he'd made a couple of subs at that point i genuinely think we would have won.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Wow

• Haha 3

Okay, we've seen a "real" Jones team now: "Hoof it to the big man and feed off the scraps." And they couldn't beat 10 men at home with a goal head start, having brought their own ref.

Ward-Prowse turning down two shooting opportunities from his free kick range was certainly odd... Is that something someone might do if they didn't want the manager to succeed?

Anyone kept a running tally of Bednarek's own goals? As sure as night follows day, Bendarek (o.g.) is certain to make an appearance every season. One of his most inept, to be fair - if you're going to be a fucking useless lump of gristle, might as go big.

What can you do? This is what we've become under Ankersen and Kraft.

Burn them all down.

(Sulemana looks bright)

Edited by qwertyell
  • Haha 1

Just now, qwertyell said:

Ward-Prowse turning down two shooting opportunities from his free kick range was certainly odd... Is that something someone might do if they didn't want the manager to succeed?

I think JWP is the key player that Jones referred to in the notorious quote at the press conference earlier in the week.

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

JWP decided to get Rarebit canned and not take Beckhan's record. 

It's a bold strategy James, let's see if it pays off!

This is one of the strangest things about today. Usually JWP is hammering those free kicks in. But he didn't even try today.  It is very unlike him to put his agenda ahead of the club. With those as goals we might have even won... Things must be irreconcilable between him and Jones. No reasons at all for JWP to behave like that 

Love seeing Bednarek get all nice and pally with Lemina as they walk in the pitch. If didn’t know better I’d say he put that ball in our net as compensation for his mate being sent off. But anyway, he’s our best CB back in from the cold, so it can’t be.

Jones the utter coward getting straight down the tunnel, not even waiting for his players. Such a poor manager - bet he’s laying into his players telling them how much shit they’ve brought down on him. If he had any sense of decency he’d resign immediately, but he won’t because in his mind it’s not about him.

I’m not hurting over the inevitable relegation because Ralph and the Board pretty much sealed that and I’ve been expecting it for months. What I’m really pissed off about is the lack of summer signings and the appointment of Jones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Okay, we've seen a "real" Jones team now: "Hoof it to the big man and feed off the scraps." And they couldn't beat 10 men at home with a goal head start, having brought their own ref.

Anyone kept a running tally of Bednarek's own goals? As sure as night follows day, Bendarek (o.g.) is certain to make an appearance every season. One of his most inept, to be fair - if you're going to be a fucking useless lump of gristle, might as go big.

What can you do? This is what we've become under Ankresen and Kraft.

Burn them all down.

(Sulemana looks bright)

Think that was his 5th. Only halfway to the record, which is richard dunne with 10, but dunne has played 4x as many matches, so he is well on track...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So that was it. That was the uncompromised Jonesball?

He can keep it. It was totally shit. Kudos for the good players for nearly getting it to work but with Dyche in charge we'd have won that comfortably. I reckon we'd be about 14th now had we got him in. There would be no JannyB for sure. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

They will. Was already untenable and is now beyond a joke. Whatever they believe about him, it's too late. He's screwed up chance after chance.

This. I’m one of the donuts who has been behind Jones because I thought he’d get us going.
First half I was primed and ready to jump on here and point out that we were intense, made tackles, moved the ball, got it in the box and looked dangerous. justification for giving him time.

Thats it though. Lost the support of everybody with that second half. Inexcusable from manager and players. 

Hats off to Kamaldeen because that lad will contribute to anything positive we do from here.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Shady said:

Jan Bednarek! He recalled and starts Jan fucking Bednarek over ABK & DCC. Absolutely baffling. How can a manager not see what everyone else can? We all know he’s shit and a complete liability. 

Recalling this absolute turd of a player, and then making him a guaranteed starter in every game, is a heinous crime.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Dangerspoon said:

Disagree. Any manager would have seen we had a couple of very tired players out there. Which is what happens when you use a lot of energy in the first half. Utterly clueless tactical decisions in the second half. The players did well in the first half but needed a manager to manage the energy levels and be controller in the second half

Wolves were down to ten. We should have stuck a wide man on each flank to hug the touchline and kept pinging the ball either side while we flooded through the middle. They'd have had no answer and would have been knackered. Instead, we stuck to five at the back, left subs too late and tried to hang on to one nil against ten men. It's schoolboy stuff.

• Like 4

Jones is so bad (no relative of mine!) my usual trick of betting against Saints and then losing didn’t even work!!

Let’s remember some of our best times we have had was in the Championship, so let’s take a little time and look to replace him with someone that will bring us success next year.

IMO, not everyone’s cup of tea but a shame we didn’t get Dyche. 

There will never be a better chance for Jones to redeem himself and show us "his way". Yes we played well and then we scored and Lemons was sent off but then he went and managed to snatch a loss out of the jaws of victory. Nothing can redeem him from this. His way couldn't beat a ten man relegation struggler at home. Out possessed and out passed, by 10 men. 

Enough is enough. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Recalling this absolute turd of a player, and then making him a guaranteed starter in every game, is a heinous crime.

When it came out he was returning from the loan I hoped it was just that villa didn’t want him anymore but really I knew what was coming. Instantly starts for us again 😫

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

This is one of the strangest things about today. Usually JWP is hammering those free kicks in. But he didn't even try today.  It is very unlike him to put his agenda ahead of the club. With those as goals we might have even won... Things must be irreconcilable between him and Jones. No reasons at all for JWP to behave like that 

His agenda? 
Really?

What a rumour mill. 🤣

4 minutes ago, Saint Shady said:

Jan Bednarek! He recalled and starts Jan fucking Bednarek over ABK & DCC. Absolutely baffling. How can a manager not see what everyone else can? We all know he’s shit and a complete liability. 

Was over the moon when Aston Villa took him away. How anyone can think he is a good CB is nuts.

At least bednarek, improved his average goals conceded this season to 2.75. I apologise for predicted he'd maintain his 3 goals a game record.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic