Alejandro Gomes Rodriguez

trousers

6 hours ago, Pwoite said:

Yes, but who was Allen Tankard? I don't remember that name, though Google suggests he carved out a career in the lower leagues. Guess he had Frannie occupying the berth he wanted.

He was decent. It wasn't Franny who blocked his path (he came through a few years later) but Andy Cook who was the same age but a better prospect. He was a cracking player, and marked Gordon Strachan out of the game on debut against Man Utd. 

11 minutes ago, egg said:

He was decent. It wasn't Franny who blocked his path (he came through a few years later) but Andy Cook who was the same age but a better prospect. He was a cracking player, and marked Gordon Strachan out of the game on debut against Man Utd. 

Alan Tankard was once a question on question of sport

andy cook never really broke into the team. I remember him being highly rated but not playing much for the first team 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Alan Tankard was once a question on question of sport

andy cook never really broke into the team. I remember him being highly rated but not playing much for the first team 

He sure was, some question about players with names like things you drink from or similar. I thought I was the only person apart from Alan Tankard who remember that!

I know Andy although our paths haven't crossed for a while. He got injured early on and never really made it back with us. Went down the leagues though and forged a decent career. Very nice intelligent bloke. Trained as a physio when he knew the game was up and was at Eastleigh and running a private clinic when I last saw him. 

12 minutes ago, egg said:

He sure was, some question about players with names like things you drink from or similar. I thought I was the only person apart from Alan Tankard who remember that!

I know Andy although our paths haven't crossed for a while. He got injured early on and never really made it back with us. Went down the leagues though and forged a decent career. Very nice intelligent bloke. Trained as a physio when he knew the game was up and was at Eastleigh and running a private clinic when I last saw him. 

Yes that’s right, they didn’t get the answer i don’t think anyone on the program had ever heard of him.

Good to hear and Andy Cook, he was a local lad wasn’t he?  As I say I can’t really remember much about him although he was highly rated as a youngster. There were a few local lads around that time who were well regarded but never quite made it. Remember people used to rave about a lad called Ben (can’t remember his surname but because with S) he was from Weston Park school think he was part of the team that got to the national schools cup final. The sports teacher there was involved in Southampton school boys team back then

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes that’s right, they didn’t get the answer i don’t think anyone on the program had ever heard of him.

Good to hear and Andy Cook, he was a local lad wasn’t he?  As I say I can’t really remember much about him although he was highly rated as a youngster. There were a few local lads around that time who were well regarded but never quite made it. Remember people used to rave about a lad called Ben (can’t remember his surname but because with S) he was from Weston Park school think he was part of the team that got to the national schools cup final. The sports teacher there was involved in Southampton school boys team back then

Yes, went to Mountbatten school in Romsey. I didn't see his debut but the way he tells it he made wee Gordon look like a novice. Seemingly he had a real chance to fill Mark Dennis boots who'd just left for QPR but, like many talented kids, injury got in the way. 

I recall the schools final, but none of the players. 

7 hours ago, washsaint said:

Leroy Whale was another one - went to Bitterne Park school and was highly regarded for a while.  Was a bit of a Billy big bollox at school but then that was understandable at the time.

He's one lad who a couple of ex players have told me really underachieved. Great talent apparently, but not quite there on the commitment. One of them told me a story about him playing somewhere (after his saints days) and arriving late without boots, but coming on when he arrived wearing his shoes, scoring a hat trick, then getting subbed off again. Feels like an urban myth, but if true, it tells me why the lad didn't quite make it. 

8 hours ago, washsaint said:

Leroy Whale was another one - went to Bitterne Park school and was highly regarded for a while.  Was a bit of a Billy big bollox at school but then that was understandable at the time.

Sounds like he was a big fish in a small pond at school 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

Sounds like he was a big fish in a small pond at school 

We went to the same school although he was a few years above me. I think he had actually left middle and secondary school before i started but knew the name and reputation. That was a great era for the school for talent, Darren Anderton, the Flahaven brother, a guy who appeared in Dream Team on Sky, Eastenders and a Milk advert, the Delays, the record holder for most laughing reactions to a post on Saintsweb, the list is endless.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

He's one lad who a couple of ex players have told me really underachieved. Great talent apparently, but not quite there on the commitment. One of them told me a story about him playing somewhere (after his saints days) and arriving late without boots, but coming on when he arrived wearing his shoes, scoring a hat trick, then getting subbed off again. Feels like an urban myth, but if true, it tells me why the lad didn't quite make it. 

Yeah he was another one that was very highly rated, probably heard more about him than the others because we went to the same middle and secondary school. He went on to become a successful businessman i believe. Think he was in the same youth team as Le Tissier, Shearer and Rod Wallace.

17 hours ago, washsaint said:

One of the best finishers I have ever seen, Leroy. Saw a fair bit of him in non-league (he played for a team managed by my old man)

Funny thing is if he was on a boat crossing the channel we'd all be laughing at him saying he's 15.

I always remember a dude a school bit like him developed earlier, was a beast then everyone caught up with him and he was then shit.

Will be interesting to see how he performs the more he plays for the 21's as that is probably a closer reflection of the physicality he has imo.

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Very highly thought of, great potential for his age, yet all feels a bit pointless if Chelsea can just come along and help themselves to him 

We've done the same to clubs below us time and time again.

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Funny thing is if he was on a boat crossing the channel we'd all be laughing at him saying he's 15.

I always remember a dude a school bit like him developed earlier, was a beast then everyone caught up with him and he was then shit.

Will be interesting to see how he performs the more he plays for the 21's as that is probably a closer reflection of the physicality he has imo.

Yeah we had a few like that to be fair I was one of them. Big and strong for my age which meant I always stood out but when I got to 15-16 and others had caught up suddenly wasn’t one of the best anymore, couldn’t dominate games,  then going into men’s football as a 16 year old was a complete eye opener. 

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah we had a few like that to be fair I was one of them. Big and strong for my age which meant I always stood out but when I got to 15-16 and others had caught up suddenly wasn’t one of the best anymore, couldn’t dominate games,  then going into men’s football as a 16 year old was a complete eye opener. 

Now you dominate the information wars

#COT

• Haha 1

Wonder if he’ll be selected for the match day squad if he keeps progressing. 

Just hope we can persuade him to stay for a little while and not jump at the first opportunity to join a big club (and remain in their youth teams whilst he could be playing first team football here).

• Like 1