Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure about Woods which I assume is our main cb signing. It you read Swansea forums he seems like their best cb but they don't really rate all of them and they think Woods is alright and no frills. Not sure they will be devestated to lose him. 

My only question would be is he better than Stephens and/or Bednarek. If the answer is yes, and its not a very high bar, he'll do for me ! 🤣 

• Like 1

Fair to assume that this bid for Wood means that we have been unsuccessful in our attempts for Harwood-Bellis and Vyner? It would be frustrating to see Leicester loan both Doyle and Harwood-Bellis from City,  perhaps the later has PL interest?

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

All that fancy new scouting and so far it's been ex man city and Swansea players. 

As long as they are good enough! Also it makes sense as they know how to play possession based football! 

Charles is looking like a really good player! Edozie is looking better this year, I thought he was really good at the weekend. 

I just want us to get the best players that we can that fit our system and add the depth and quality that we need 

• Like 2

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

So who then (sits back and waits for the “it’s not my job……” standard reply)? 

Harwood bellis seems like a good shout. You're right though, it isn't my job. Quite liked the look of Edwards and I mentioned another league one cb a few weeks ago but I can't remember the name. 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Rest assured Nick the CoT have left cryptic clues as we cannot five too much information on the public domain. A member recently posted “we Wood sign a centre back before the end of the window” make of that what you will

Is 'we cannot five too much information' be another cryptic clue?  Is that Jackson 5 and so we are going for a player called Jackson. All this cloak and dagger stuff is very confusing

• Haha 3

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Harwood bellis seems like a good shout. You're right though, it isn't my job. Quite liked the look of Edwards and I mentioned another league one cb a few weeks ago but I can't remember the name. 

Harwood Bellis would have been my choice but who knows what is going on behind the scenes. 

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Harwood Bellis would have been my choice but who knows what is going on behind the scenes. 

No idea. I'm just giving my initial reaction to this potential signing. I don't know much about him but let's hope he works out. I think there's better with the money and attraction we have though. 

Wood is the exact type of signing that one of the wealthiest clubs the Championship has ever seen would make.

In all seriousness, sticking to the young-gun model. If the manager knows him, surely good enough?

Edited by AlexLaw76

59 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Looks a bit special if YouTube Highlights are anything to go by

Looks like a baller - right on for RM’s system. At 6’ 2” he’s got some height and going on the video he’s not scared to jump either. Reckon he could be a good foil for Stephens, but would he play second fiddle to Bednarek as I can’t see Bednarek sitting on the bench in the Championship….he’ll be off which means we’ll not be any stronger overall at CB. Hope we get this guy…at £10m it looks like good business.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Looks like a baller - right on for RM’s system. At 6’ 2” he’s got some height and going on the video he’s not scared to jump either. Reckon he could be a good foil for Stephens, but would he play second fiddle to Bednarek as I can’t see Bednarek sitting on the bench in the Championship….he’ll be off which means we’ll not be any stronger overall at CB. Hope we get this guy…at £10m it looks like good business.

I remember how happy we were shipping Stephens and Bednarek out on loan last season. That they are now our first choice pair and we have to pray they don't get injured because Lyanco should indicate the potential to strengthen in this position.

Not recruiting a better centre back because it might piss off Bednarek could be construed as an act of self harm.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Have you watched him play? I don't know anything about him. 

Only seen his skills videos online. He looks decent in those but, as we all know, those are the best bits - they should start producing player vids that are warts and all including errors.

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I mean technically we would be stronger at CB if Wood is better than Bednarek. Not numbers wise obviously. 

Just now, saintant said:

Only seen his skills videos online. He looks decent in those but, as we all know, those are the best bits - they should start producing player vids that are warts and all including errors.

I'm not sure I'd be forming an opinion on them. The famous Steve de ridder one made him look like a world beater. 

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

All that fancy new scouting and so far it's been ex man city and Swansea players. 

Yeah, thought Mowbray was meant to be permanently away from home travelling the world digging out nuggets - presumably he's commuting between Manchester and Swansea and has managed to sort out some good rates for B&Bs and is now on first name terms with his landladies 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Imagine Swansea absolute love doing business with Saints. Obviously nothing they could do about Manning and probably very little about the Academy Director either, but they will have a big say in any player sales, thats for sure!

• Like 1

WRT to Nathan Wood today is first I’ve even heard he exists. But checking his wiki and the usual publicly available info sites it’s clear he is an extremely viable Saints prospect. 

specifically 

1. He is a young promising CB to perhaps directly replace a likely outgoing Bella-K.  

2. Got his First u21 England cap in March 23. Multiple caps at lower age group levels . Probably upward transfer value trajectory especially as CB. But would need leave Swans to accelerate that. ( NB see Maquire…) 

2.Pace, Athleticism AND 6”2. Speed ability and height. 

3. Already coached in the Russell way so short induction time. 

4. Saints perfect onward development club for him and for us. If it’s £10m and a sell on it’s a fair price. 

Oh, and I actually think he would accelerate his learning playing with the better players at Saints. Especially the experienced ones like KWP, Beds, Jack and Stu. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What’s wrong with signing players from Man City? They’re pretty good 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

I mean technically we would be stronger at CB if Wood is better than Bednarek. Not numbers wise obviously. 

Yes that’s what I meant. The problem of course, as mentioned above, is that skills videos don’t show the howlers made once a game like the ones we’ve been used to from Bednarek and Stephens. I’ve always believed that a given CB pairing is stronger than the individuals alone if that makes sense. Bednarek and Stephens have had a chance to mould a good partnership, but I like many others have yet to be convinced by them when 3 of 4 goals can be shipped so easily in one game. I wonder if Martin would include Bednarek in the group of players who thought themselves better than they were, but currently he has very few options to chose from?

14 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Bednarek can only depart if someone makes an offer and we accept it. The window is soon to close, so will there be time for us to buy a new CB and play him in front of Bednarek - thus revealing to him that he might be second choice? With all these yellow cards it looks like there will be a few opportunities for second choice players in the first eleven.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coalman said:

I remember how happy we were shipping Stephens and Bednarek out on loan last season. That they are now our first choice pair and we have to pray they don't get injured because Lyanco should indicate the potential to strengthen in this position.

Not recruiting a better centre back because it might piss off Bednarek could be construed as an act of self harm.

I imagine Wood is the likely replacement for ABK assuming he's going. If that is the case I think RM will stick with Stephens and Bednarek until there have been too many cock-ups....he may not have long to wait.

• Like 1

When you look at the overall metrics for both Wood and Harwood Bellis they are both very close, HB is younger and and U21s captain.. overall Id probably be more comfortable signing him, but both look good options at this level

If Wood is available at around 10m and City want circa 30m for HB then it probably makes sense to push for wood, especially as he knows the RM system

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I imagine Wood is the likely replacement for ABK assuming he's going. If that is the case I think RM will stick with Stephens and Bednarek until there have been too many cock-ups....he may not have long to wait.

If ABK was fit I'm pretty sure Bednarek wouldn't be starting.

• Like 3

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

When you look at the overall metrics for both Wood and Harwood Bellis they are both very close, HB is younger and and U21s captain.. overall Id probably be more comfortable signing him, but both look good options at this level

If Wood is available at around 10m and City want circa 30m for HB then it probably makes sense to push for wood, especially as he knows the RM system

Fair shout. Just on YouTube, he looks like a Martin-style player

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yes that’s what I meant. The problem of course, as mentioned above, is that skills videos don’t show the howlers made once a game like the ones we’ve been used to from Bednarek and Stephens. I’ve always believed that a given CB pairing is stronger than the individuals alone if that makes sense. Bednarek and Stephens have had a chance to mould a good partnership, but I like many others have yet to be convinced by them when 3 of 4 goals can be shipped so easily in one game. I wonder if Martin would include Bednarek in the group of players who thought themselves better than they were, but currently he has very few options to chose from?

I agree with you on centre back pairings that form a partnership which is stronger than the individuals - one of our best pairings was Claus and Killer....neither were individually brilliant but together their respective strengths made them a formidable pair.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd prefer a classy as f*ck cb who can defend. 

the highlights video shows a mix of classy dribbles out from the back, and first time defensive clearances, which kind of fits your description. It's a highlights video though, so who knows how good he is. If we watch Swansea goals conceded last year we might get a better idea. I'm sure there will be some fuck ups and defending that is questioned. 

He looks reasonably quick, reasonably big and strong and technically good. As with Manning, you do wonder why no Prem side has snapped him up, especially the promoted sides. Maybe they don't need a CB? 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who said there was anything wrong with it? 

We have their ex academy director and clearly we have strong links, rightly or wrongly

They probably have the best academy in the prem right now, atleast one of… if we are getting preferential terms on players that Wilcox knows intimately then Im here for it

• Like 1

I see many references on these pages to ABK being gone. I don’t believe this will happen in this window. He’s apparently carrying an injury - again - and he’s far from being match fit. I suspect we’re going to be carrying him until at least January as I don’t believe anyone will pay decent money for him in his current state.

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

City want £30m? Not a chance we spend that. 

Knowing the system and being comfortable with the ball at his feet is essential. He looks like he have the technical ability. Why do Swansea fans not rave about him?

Just now, LegalEagle said:

I see many references on these pages to ABK being gone. I don’t believe this will happen in this window. He’s apparently carrying an injury - again - and he’s far from being match fit. I suspect we’re going to be carrying him until at least January as I don’t believe anyone will pay decent money for him in his current state.

He’s back training, he’s apparently been ‘ill’

He’ll be off, im 90% sure of it

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Bednarek can only depart if someone makes an offer and we accept it. The window is soon to close, so will there be time for us to buy a new CB and play him in front of Bednarek - thus revealing to him that he might be second choice? With all these yellow cards it looks like there will be a few opportunities for second choice players in the first eleven.

Yep fair point, but if Swansea accept our offer and we approach the player we’ll have to tell him what playing time he might expect…will he be a starter or a bench player? As both Bednarek and Stephens must be considered senior players, you would think he would be told he’ll have a support role, but will that be enough to lure him?  Unless of course JB wants out.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Knowing the system and being comfortable with the ball at his feet is essential. He looks like he have the technical ability. Why do Swansea fans not rave about him?

Tiny sample...

https://planetswans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14391&sid=488678f81268d998d454be4dc4a6568c

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Ive had a look through and actually its reported that City want 15-20m so not as bad as I first thought

But Fulham and Burnley have been sniffing so he’s probably out of our reach

Personally I don’t take much notice of what the majority of football fans think because generally they don’t know what they’re talking about

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LegalEagle said:

He's not injured any more, but certainly isn't match fit.

I get the feeling we won't allow him to depart on the cheap, but if Dortmund come up with the money we have been asking, then he will go for sure. I dont think his current fitness will be an issue as long as he pases the medical. Dortmund will look at him as a fou year project and not be concerned about his ability to play in the next few weeks.