Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

On 21/08/2023 at 20:25, Chez said:

pretty damning opinion of a guy that scored 24 in 37 league games and 28 in 47 games for them last year in his first and only season for them. He scored 5 in 28 when he played for Belgium side Beerschot the season before.

If we are going for a 28 year old `proven scorer', it will be Piroe. He ain't signing a new deal IMO and Swansea won't want him walking on a free.  If we are looking for young talent that might also make the step up then Archer would be the guy, but he will be very expensive by Championship terms.

Bit more info, big old fashioned number 9, good finisher, hard working, links up play well from midfield would cost about £7m. Sounds good on paper but his view is that he might not touch and movement to cut it in English football which perhaps explains why at 28 he’s still playing in Scotland despite an excellent scoring record there 

24 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Archer is already making cameos off the Villa bench, a doubt a move for him is lined up.

He was the second striker off the bench on Sunday and that was only because Coutinho went off injured. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

A loan move might be an interesting option. If we get promoted then we get him back with a years experience at a top Bundesliga side. If they want to sign him we have the Prem pulling power to demand a high fee. If we don't get promoted and they want to sign him, he'll clearly still be worth a lot. 

One thing we shouldn't do is loan him with an option to buy as that limits the fee we can receive. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

A loan move might be an interesting option. If we get promoted then we get him back with a years experience at a top Bundesliga side. If they want to sign him we have the Prem pulling power to demand a high fee. If we don't get promoted and they want to sign him, he'll clearly still be worth a lot. 

One thing we shouldn't do is loan him with an option to buy as that limits the fee we can receive. 

I like ABK and if (big if) he can stay injury free I think he's going to be a top defender so a loan will probably be the best outcome for us as you say. 

33 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I like ABK and if (big if) he can stay injury free I think he's going to be a top defender so a loan will probably be the best outcome for us as you say. 

I would like to sell him.  You wouldn’t want him alongside you in the trenches.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, musesaint said:

Even by the standards of most Transfer Windows this one seems to be dragging on forever. 

Roll on the end of August. 

I think it’s because we knew there would be a lot of players leaving this summer, as soon as the final game finished last season all there was to discuss was players leaving.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I don't see the point in a loan move personally. Either sell him or use him.

The loan system is a farce. How can one of the biggest clubs in the world loan a player from a second tier club in England? The loan system should be about smaller clubs being able to loan players from big clubs to either help their squads with players they usually couldn’t afford or to give playing time squad players who need to play to develop, not for clubs with hundreds of millions of income every year to have try before you buy options or fill out their squad  on players who are already internationals

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Totally agree. Loans arent any good for players that will improve an area where we are currently weak. If you're gonna get rid then sell and replace, dont loan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The loan system is a farce. How can one of the biggest clubs in the world loan a player from a second tier club in England? The loan system should be about smaller clubs being able to loan players from big clubs to either help their squads with players they usually couldn’t afford or to give playing time squad players who need to play to develop, not for clubs with hundreds of millions of income every year to have try before you buy options or fill out their squad  on players who are already internationals

It seems this year there seems to be a bit of use of the loan market to circumvent FFP laws - David Raya to Arsenal seems to be one, and not sure about Lewis Hall to Newcastle but there was talk that was the plan there too. Loan now, buy next summer, get around not being able to spend this summer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

It seems this year there seems to be a bit of use of the loan market to circumvent FFP laws - David Raya to Arsenal seems to be one, and not sure about Lewis Hall to Newcastle but there was talk that was the plan there too. Loan now, buy next summer, get around not being able to spend this summer. 

Exactly this, Newcastle have loaned Hall from Chelsea for a year purely to get round FFP, he will become their player in a years time.

• Like 2

The loan system is a farce. Said Turkish. 
I agree if ABK gets simply loaned to Dortmund. 
Flynn is how it’s “meant” to work from that perspective. 

Player loans are today primarily a feature of “trading” not “playing” or “ squad management “. It’s yet another indicator of how much football has changed in a short short time. 

That’s capitalism for you! 

• Like 1

It’s looking very likely that we are selling high earning players and replacing with much cheaper options.

Nothing special players coming in but if they graft and gel together as a unit like Luton did last season then hopefully we will have a team pushing for promotion.

My prediction: 220m IN, 60m OUT

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/swansnews/status/1694244758221160514?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Piroe in for Adams and Wood in for ABK. 

That would then be Martin, Manning, Piroe, Wood, their academy director and also their past player Downes. Is this ambitious enough?

I guess performances on the pitch will answer that question......

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

He's in a bit of a weird position at the minute. Outside of the Premier League, very few teams have a cool £20-25m they can drop on an injury prone youngster.

His stock is still high in Germany, but again there aren't many teams with the finances to make the deal make sense.

Bayern and Dortmund being interested in him is all well and good - and they can probably foot the bill - but he's going to be fourth or fifth choice CB at those clubs, so it's not a great deal from his perspective, if he's looking to push on and put himself in contention for the German Euros squad. He needs to play games.

The smart money would be on him staying, getting fit and playing regularly with us, and reassessing in January. I don't see how a loan works for him or us at this juncture.

28 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

It’s looking very likely that we are selling high earning players and replacing with much cheaper options.

Nothing special players coming in but if they graft and gel together as a unit like Luton did last season then hopefully we will have a team pushing for promotion.

My prediction: 220m IN, 60m OUT

I reckon that's about right. Personally still concerned about getting  decent keeper in to replace McCarthy, and whether or not Che out/Piroe in gets over the line, and would like have liked Grimes in too but feels about right. Hove looks good. To be fair, they've done an awful lot of business in a short space of time, and recouped quite a lot of cash in, so have overall done well so far, in my opinion. As long as it all gels and we can stop the knife through butter bit at the back. Getting Bednarek back on the bench will help with that, and Wood might supply a bit of the muscle/hard graft that the Championship requires. Personally think Tella is gone.

Edited by DT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

It’s ok he would drop his rifle on his foot and miss the first 2 months. 

9 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I would like to sell him.  You wouldn’t want him alongside you in the trenches.

Bayern Munich are mugs, they really don't know how to judge a player, whilst we are experts on here. He will be a fantastic player, and has been very unlucky with his shoulder injuries.

Edited by OldNick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

If that's the case the loophole needs to be plugged. No point having FFP if there are ways and means to get round it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Bayern Munich are mugs, they really don't know how to judge a player. He will be a fantastic player, and has been very unlucky with his shoulder injuries.

What about the other 10 or so injuries he has had - been missing in action all summer with no pre-season so will take a while to get match fit at least.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Most of Wellington's army at Waterloo were German, as were Blucher's Prussians.

There was no such nation as Germany in 1815. What we now call Germany was founded in 1871. Prussians were Prussians

Less than a third of Wellington's army came from the European States of Hanover or Brunswick that later became incorporated into the fledgling German nation. Most of Wellington's troops were British and Dutch.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Leeds in for Piroe.

This is all geared up for us selling Adams on deadline day and then rushing around in a panic. 

We don’t sell Adams

Leeds sign Piroe

we sell Adams next week

we panic buy one of the lads from Scotland for well over his worth 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Leeds in for Piroe.

This is all geared up for us selling Adams on deadline day and then rushing around in a panic. 

Wish we'd stop fannying around, put some serious wedge on the table, and get him in. If only in part to stop them getting him. Might be the difference. Very relaxed about Che to Everton. Get that done. He's got 50p feet anyway... 😉

12 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Leeds in for Piroe.

I'm not being funny but it's incredibly likely that if Piroe is up for moving to a championship team that he would be coming to us and not Leeds unless we don't want him. I can't see us both being in for him and then him rejecting saints personally. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

What about the other 10 or so injuries he has had - been missing in action all summer with no pre-season so will take a while to get match fit at least.

Yep Ron great point, but as you know some young players do have niggling injuries when they are still developing. He does play in a demanding position. I myself believe he is a class player and we I hope put in lots of clauses in his contract for the future

13 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Leeds in for Piroe.

When was the last time something like that ever happened to Saints? Even before SR, if we were selling our better players it was usually earlier on in the window and we had plenty of time to find replacements. I can't imagine we'd sell Adams unless we're almost certain there's a replacement lined up.

20 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

There was no such nation as Germany in 1815. What we now call Germany was founded in 1871. Prussians were Prussians

Their nationalities were varied but their language was German. It is simpler to collect them together rather than list Hessians, Hanoverians, Brunswickers, Saxons, Prussians, Thuringians, Nassauers, Bavarians, etc.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Leeds in for Piroe.

Surely his agent (and Swansea) will be on the phone to saints, letting us know of the situation. His agent and club will want as many clubs as possible interested…

15 hours ago, Chez said:

In Scotland or further afield?

They must have been watching Luca Kerber for that recent news story to come about. His video really impressed me. More so than the Hove video. I am guessing he is another we have been out watching? 

Wish I could find the original. “ Mowbray is going to spend 12 months living out of a suitcase watching at least one game 7 days a week all over Europe compiling intensive reports on potential players”. Think it was a Wilcox interview.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Their nationalities were varied but their language was German. It is simpler to collect them together rather than list Hessians, Hanoverians, Brunswickers, Saxons, Prussians, Thuringians, Nassauers, Bavarians, etc.

Have had this conversation with a German friend on a few occasions.

If Germany didn't exist until 1871,how can their language be called German? Honest question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You’d like to think Piroe would choose Saints over Leeds, just as Manning very clearly did.

This is a system and manager he’s bagged 40 goals over 2 seasons in. It seems Martin has a great relationship with his former players. We look in better shape than Leeds too.

IF Che to Everton and Piroe to Saints has been on the cards all summer, he can wait a few more days whilst Everton sort their payment terms out.