Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/hubfootballuk/status/1694271771971654060?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Interesting. We have 1st and 2nd, used to have 3rd and are now trying to buy 4th.

Perhaps Bednarek and Stephens are better on the ball than we give them credit for? If we bring in Wood, is that job done at CB do we think?

Change of tactics and morale.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

Is Piroe that good? 

How many people desperate to sign him here have actually seen him play? 

I think the attraction is that he’s a 20 goal striker in this system, understands it straight away and at 24 he has room to improve. Outperforming xG 2 seasons running shows he is a good, rather than lucky finisher too.

I asked my mate who is a Watford fan and has been watching championship footy a bit longer than we have recently, what his thoughts on him were: “Joel Piroe is class! His movement is sensational. Joel should be premier league”. No Saints or Swans bias, so encouraging.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

When was the last time something like that ever happened to Saints? Even before SR, if we were selling our better players it was usually earlier on in the window and we had plenty of time to find replacements. I can't imagine we'd sell Adams unless we're almost certain there's a replacement lined up.

Gapko

4 minutes ago, 23rdSaint said:

As some posters suggested earlier in the summer, they are going to get their `missing RM money' back through a player transfer. That price seems very high for a player they don't seem to rate. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

As some posters suggested earlier in the summer, they are going to get their `missing RM money' back through a player transfer. That price seems very high for a player they don't seem to rate. 

Seasons started and he's first choice for them, seems a reasonable price to me IF we believe he can progress to be a Prem player.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 23rdSaint said:

Change "x" to "twitter". I think that will fix it. Bloody Elon...

I’m copying the link as normal from iPhone app and then changing ‘x’ to ‘Twitter’ but the text just goes darker red and never embeds. Are you having success on an iPhone?

https://twitter.com/mailsport/status/1694273280700543060?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

11 hours ago, Appy said:

He was the second striker off the bench on Sunday and that was only because Coutinho went off injured. 

If they loaned him out again, which seemed to be one option, the other a buy back clause, would they have enough cover up front? Managers are very reluctant to leave themselves short. 

Piroe seems the obvious forward to replace Che, but Archer looks an exciting player and one that might cut it in the top flight at some point. 

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Guys you can call Germans many things but shit fighters isn't one I'd call them.

Look at how the Italian national team, best team in the world at the time performed at the away fixture of the Teotuburg forest in the Germania league.

You'll have to remind me😬

50 minutes ago, manji said:

Wish I could find the original. “ Mowbray is going to spend 12 months living out of a suitcase watching at least one game 7 days a week all over Europe compiling intensive reports on potential players”. Think it was a Wilcox interview.

I bet his expenses are good.

9 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

The Germans aka the Visigoths and friends completely destroyed the Italian team, so much so they never went home.

To add a further contemporary football link, the German team Armenia Bielefeld are named after their Chieftain Armenius, responsible for their victory. All very interesting.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Guys you can call Germans many things but shit fighters isn't one I'd call them.

Look at how the Italian national team, best team in the world at the time performed at the away fixture of the Teotuburg forest in the Germania league.

IMG_3065.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

25 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I’m copying the link as normal from iPhone app and then changing ‘x’ to ‘Twitter’ but the text just goes darker red and never embeds. Are you having success on an iPhone?

https://twitter.com/mailsport/status/1694273280700543060?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

I'm having really mixed success with this I'm afraid. I think Saint Scott's answer is the answer but I don't know how to switch to plain text on an iPhone. @stevegrant?

44 minutes ago, manji said:

TBF Bluchers Hussars won Waterloo.

I think they tipped the balance, a bit like a fresh substitute coming on in the 90th minute and taking the glory. Wellingtons army had been fighting for a few days and were exhausted.

2 hours ago, iansums said:

Exactly this, Newcastle have loaned Hall from Chelsea for a year purely to get round FFP, he will become their player in a years time.

we did the same with Ings, although possibly not to get around FFP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Cameron Archer closing in on £18m move to Sheffield utd and Leeds in talks with Swansea over Piroe. We are running out of options for a decent championship experienced striker 

I guess this is the issue with selling before you buy. If Everton keep fanning around then it could get to a stage where we sell him towards the end of the window and our main targets have been signed by other teams. Saints wouldn't be that stupid, would they?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iansums said:

iPhone technical tips and German history aplenty but any transfer news?

Swansea possibly want £12m for Wood. 

Looks like Archer aint coming to Saints, choosing Sheff Utd instead.

Bayern Munich are interested in loaning ABK. Dortmund still interested, but both don't seem keen to pay asking price/release clause. 

I assume you saw that Lyanco is possibly going to a Qatar club yesterday. 
Rumours that Leeds are also keen on Piroe.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I guess this is the issue with selling before you buy. If Everton keep fanning around then it could get to a stage where we sell him towards the end of the window and our main targets have been signed by other teams. Saints wouldn't be that stupid, would they?

Archer was never joining us if a Prem club were in for him. So the delay in selling Che wont have impacted that transfer. 

I still think Che will go and Piroe will replace him. 

• Like 1

If I was Che’s agent and my client really wanted to leave, I’d be hotting things up with Forest and Bournemouth to get nearer to Wilcox’s valuation as Everton sound like an absolute busted flush. As poor as Luton and Sheffield Utd are, Everton seem just as bad and the Blades are just dropping £18m on Archer despite allegedly being up for sale themselves. Palace lacked someone to hold it up the other night, Ayew isn’t the answer, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Roy popped up. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Bayern Munich are mugs, they really don't know how to judge a player, whilst we are experts on here. He will be a fantastic player, and has been very unlucky with his shoulder injuries.

He doesn’t want to play for us.  Was apparent for most of last season.

• Like 1

Lots of angst about Archer and Pirou but I'll repeat what I said the other day. I really don't think it is a priority for the club at the moment. That changes if Onuachu or Mara depart but even if Saints sell Adams that still leaves A Armstrong Mara Onuachu Tella and Ballard as the strike force. The interview with Ballard in the Echo makes it pretty clear that Ballard is expected to challenge for a 1st team place and isn't being sent out on loan for that reason.  Taking a leap of faith that Onuachu and Mara can reproduce some of their previous scoring exploits in the Championship, there is nobody in this league that comes even close to that forward line. Especially not one serviced by Sam Amo-Ameyaw, Edozie, Alcaraz, and S Armstrong. 

In contrast the club really need to strengthen the spine of the team. Another decent CB, or ABK playing, a goalkeeper to replace McCarthy to at the very least put pressure on Bazuna, and more options in midfield. For me that's where the money should be spent and judging from the noise on Sky and Twitter it sounds like that is what they are doing.

No point scoring goals if you are letting the opposition score just as many at the other end.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1