Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think it’s been plain to see we’ve been susceptible to being caught in possession. Did you not watch the 4-4 game and there are other examples?!  Having said that, there may well be signs that it’s being put right and Downes may well be at least part of the answer to improving this part of our game.

Not watched any of the games live due to a roadtrip in the southern states of america, so, no, hence me asking. 

I hate conceding those type of goals (overplaying at the back), but I fully expect to see it happen every now and then. It will hurt, but if the possession football is good to watch and we get results I (we) will learn to live with it.

One side question. Have we mixed our passes up a little or has everything been short? 

Just now, Chez said:

Not watched any of the games live due to a roadtrip in the southern states of america, so, no, hence me asking. 

I hate conceding those type of goals (overplaying at the back), but I fully expect to see it happen every now and then. It will hurt, but if the possession football is good to watch and we get results I (we) will learn to live with it.

One side question. Have we mixed our passes up a little or has everything been short? 

We've been happy to go long on occasion, so it's not all little passes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lone ranger said:

Just reading speculation that Tella may go for £20m…..are we not simply seeing asset stripping in progress? Where is all the money from the sales going?  Where are the purchases of top flight players to balance some of the departures?

You know this is Saints right?

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not sure why a season in the Championship, albeit a good one, would make Tella think he’s proven himself a Prem Player?

I think it's more a case that having been a top performer in a side that won promotion, he could well feel like he's earned the right to have a stab at the Prem.

7 minutes ago, Lone ranger said:

Just reading speculation that Tella may go for £20m…..are we not simply seeing asset stripping in progress? Where is all the money from the sales going?  Where are the purchases of top flight players to balance some of the departures?

Top flight players play in the top flight. We are not in the top flight.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Lone ranger said:

Added this on the summer exodus thread back in May. It’s pretty clear where the cash is going when you consider the £150 net spend last year needs recouping, and then the loss of tv income far outweighing the saving on wages.

——————

Call me cynical, but all this talk of £150m sales meaning good budgets for this level…

I suspect the first £140m goes to recouping this season’s losses.

the next £50m or so to cover the delta in loss of tv income vs parachute payment receipts.

I don’t see us having a mega budget for players next season - more like make do with a lot of this squads dross and three or four key purchases.

Edited by Jimbo
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Added this on the summer exodus thread back in May. It’s pretty clear where the cash is going when you consider the £150 net spend last year needs recouping, and then the loss of tv income far outweighing the saving on wages.

——————

Call me cynical, but all this talk of £150m sales meaning good budgets for this level…

I suspect the first £140m goes to recouping this season’s losses.

the next £50m or so to cover the delta in loss of tv income vs parachute payment receipts.

I don’t see us having a mega budget for players next season - more like make do with a lot of this squads dross and three or four key purchases.

We're the richest club in the world though.....

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We're the richest club in the world though.....

See my post immediately under Jimbo's on the Summer exodus thread. I didn't say we were the wealthiest club in the world. I said we were amongst the seven wealthiest Championship clubs in history (Bearing in mind the huge size of our squad, and their value when sold)

5 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Yes, I agree - when I said we were one of the top seven wealthiest Championship sides in history I was taking account of the fact we would have to spend a huge chunk settling up.

All sides relegated from the PL would find themselves in this situation, with very few exceptions. My suggestion was based on the huge size of our squad, their low average age, and huge potential (which had not been realised due to no striker & crap management decisions). Selling a good chunk of the squad, as nearly all relegated sides have to do would raise far more money than is usually the case.

This year is our best chance for a reset. Every later year will be more costly, more compromised, or have a smaller purse to buy players with.

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

See my post immediately under Jimbo's on the Summer exodus thread. I didn't say we were the wealthiest club in the world. I said we were amongst the seven wealthiest Championship clubs in history (Bearing in mind the huge size of our squad, and their value when sold)

I wasn't referring to your post....

32 minutes ago, Lone ranger said:

image.png.9665c5c8d025808cd18a4523fb8462ae.png

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chez said:

Cos their values go down from this point onwards maybe?

I'm not suggesting we sell either of them by the way. I am just trying to see things from a Southampton Football Business perspective. The SR philosophy seems to be buy young talent and sell them at their peak prices and then reinvest in more young talent...rinse and repeat.    

I get what you’re saying, but it’s got to be about more than selling them for very top dollar.  Otherwise, we are just a football trading company and not a football club.

If that is SR’s philosophy, and I’m not sure, it isn’t conducive to success on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I get what you’re saying, but it’s got to be about more than selling them for very top dollar.  Otherwise, we are just a football trading company and not a football club.

If that is SR’s philosophy, and I’m not sure, it isn’t conducive to success on the pitch.

Unfortunately we’ve been a football trading company since about 2014. Sales funding purchases, sell to buy, despite enjoying the riches of the premier league for a  longer period than 85 other current league clubs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lone ranger said:

Its going on paying off all the transfers of **** players we signed last year, seems pretty obvious to me

49 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

If I'm honest I have not really paid too much attention to the SR philosophy and plan, but I did think we were trying to emulate Brentford, who were never concerned about selling talent, so long as the price was right, as they were confident that they could reinvest and ultimately create something stronger. I assumed that would be our plan. Buy a Lavia for £10m, sell him for £50m, but three more Lavia's and hopefully at least two are as successful, making the side/squad stronger overall an helping us progress. I don't know, you tell me what you think the long term plan is?  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

If I'm honest I have not really paid too much attention to the SR philosophy and plan, but I did think we were trying to emulate Brentford, who were never concerned about selling talent, so long as the price was right, as they were confident that they could reinvest and ultimately create something stronger. I assumed that would be our plan. Buy a Lavia for £10m, sell him for £50m, but three more Lavia's and hopefully at least two are as successful, making the side/squad stronger overall an helping us progress. I don't know, you tell me what you think the long term plan is?  

I think this model is also a lot more effective now that we have Russ and Jason Wilcox in place. They know the type of players they are recruiting and whilst they know that we will end up moving a lot of them on, potential players will be attracted to the prospect of playing 'good' football and putting themselves in the shop window.

It's the most sustainable way for a club like ours to move forward without a super ruch Saudi owner.

In other words I'd get used to it 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Posed this question before but are there similar views of Leicester selling off their core first team players under contract for a quick buck?

Don't really have anyone of any decent value Bar KDH and perhaps Castana/Perriera

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Tella and KWP have 2 years left on their contracts.  Why sell them now?

To avoid letting them get to only 1 year left and having to sell them for less than we could get for them now because of that fact.  PS - I hope we don't sell them, but that will be the club's thinking behind any sales they do make.

1 minute ago, gammon cheeks said:

And tall Paul , Moussa ,Mara and Mc Carthy 😇

I still reckon there's a chance the Mara could come good in the future

The rest of that lot can do one though, along with Lyanco of coure. 10/10 Insane window if that all happened though

1 minute ago, gecko said:

The rest of that lot can do one though, along with Lyanco of coure. 10/10 Insane window if that all happened though

I'd like Mara to go out on loan somewhere - has ability just needs to hone it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Speaking of McCarthy I see we played a behind closed doors friendly at Brentford today and won 2-1.

No idea who played but the line which stood out was the visiting keeper made an error to gift the Bees the lead😂

Could that be the ABK runout? 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Could that be the ABK runout? 

Who knows but I guess there are a few who need a game, the keeper was probably Lumley who chucked one in as I doubt he has played recently.

Really can’t see ABK playing for us again in any form but you never know.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Don't really have anyone of any decent value Bar KDH and perhaps Castana/Perriera

James Justin is an england international. Faes Belgium international. Pereira equally good if not better than Kwp. Dewsbury hall as you say extremely highly rated. Ineacho is he worse than adams

15 minutes ago, gecko said:

This probably won't be a popular opinion but I actually think TP gets goals in this league in a team that plays to his strengths. He looked fucking shit in his limited minutes in the  Prem but still very nearly scored v Wham on one of the few occasions we actually did lob a cross his way. We're not going to be playing to his strengths of course so I am in no way suggesting we should keep him*

*that said he'd be a desperation option if chasing a last minute winner.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Buy a Lavia for £10m, sell him for £50m, but three more Lavia's and hopefully at least two are as successful, making the side/squad stronger overall an helping us progress. I don't know, you tell me what you think the long term plan is?  

This is the bit we never really managed, even during the "black box" era. It was still always one in, one out, which is a model with a lot of inherent fragility. And it's why Brighton now seem a lot more resilient to sales than we ever did, as they've managed to do their succession planning before selling any of their gems.

48 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I think this model is also a lot more effective now that we have Russ and Jason Wilcox in place. They know the type of players they are recruiting and whilst they know that we will end up moving a lot of them on, potential players will be attracted to the prospect of playing 'good' football and putting themselves in the shop window.

It's the most sustainable way for a club like ours to move forward without a super ruch Saudi owner.

In other words I'd get used to it 😂

I'm used to it. It's been over 40 years of watching our best join bigger clubs and the direct replacements often being underwhelming.

That said, I am hopeful that one day we will somehow bring another fantastic group of players together, that will enable us to go toe to toe with the biggest clubs, without fear.  We have done it in the not too distant past, Leicester of course and in recent times Brighton and Brentford too. It can be done, with the right people involved and the right choices made.

• Like 2

I am on the fence here. I’ve said half tongue in cheek on here before about the vast amounts of money coming into the club and the plan.

Every wealthy billionaire always has an exit strategy, which is why they are so wealthy.

As a supporter, a bit more transparency would go a long way. As with every club, these guys are only the owners temporarily. 

Tbf, a couple of comments about balancing the books are probably spot on. 

I know we aren’t Prem anymore, but 10 million on a Swansea defender ( I don’t know the guy never seen him play). Because the manager knows him.

I do wonder if we have a bigger network of targets other than a Championship manager raiding his old club for a player or two. Seems a bit League one and League two for me. (dare I say a repeat of the NJ fiasco)

I get budgets, but come on there are a few more players from clubs on a global scale that we must have been keeping tabs on over the last few years  that we can develop or go straight in.

We must be better than to go with the total blind faith of a bloke from Luton and Swansea. 

Call me cynical, I know.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm used to it. It's been over 40 years of watching our best join bigger clubs and the direct replacements often being underwhelming.

That said, I am hopeful that one day we will somehow bring another fantastic group of players together, that will enable us to go toe to toe with the biggest clubs, without fear.  We have done it in the not too distant past, Leicester of course and in recent times Brighton and Brentford too. It can be done, with the right people involved and the right choices made.

And a whole lot of luck 😉

35 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Posed this question before but are there similar views of Leicester selling off their core first team players under contract for a quick buck?

Not sure what you are asking or suggesting. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

I am on the fence here. I’ve said half tongue in cheek on here before about the vast amounts of money coming into the club and the plan.

Every wealthy billionaire always has an exit strategy, which is why they are so wealthy.

As a supporter, a bit more transparency would go a long way. As with every club, these guys are only the owners temporarily. 

I know we aren’t Prem anymore, but 10 million on a Swansea defender ( I don’t know the guy never seen him play). Because the manager knows him.

I do wonder if we have a bigger network of targets other than a Championship manager raiding his old club for a player or two. Seems a bit League one and League two for me. (dare I say a repeat of the NJ fiasco)

I get budgets, but come on there are a few more players from clubs on a global scale that we must have been keeping tabs on over the last few years  that we can develop or go straight in.

We must be better than to go with the total blind faith of a bloke from Luton and Swansea. 

Call me cynical, I know.

We are looking at players from other countries. Wilcox from a distance and Mowbray up close.

10 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Call me cynical, I know.

I'd imagine the players we were scouting for Ralph/Jones were different as the style of play has totally changed.

As has been mentioned by Wilcox and Martin, we are targeting players that have shown they can play a certain way/have the potential to do that. Obviously ones that play for Man City/Swansea are no brainers in that respect.

Edited by Harry_SFC

6 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Call me cynical, I know.

Does display a lack of an extensive scouting system, however, we did bring in players from Argentina, Belgium and France in the last window, so that suggests we must have someone looking at players outside the City/Swansea bubble.

Personally, I like it when a manager brings some player insight with him, but prefer it when its a player that wasn't from his previous club, Koeman bringing Tadic and Pelle across immediately come to mind. I hoped Martin would pick out the best championship and maybe even league 1 players that Swansea were considering. Maybe he has.