Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Id actually like to see him loaned out, he showed good promise in France and I do think there is a player in there.. so lets see

If so then yeah we’ll need 2 in probably, if/when we sell Adams

Onuachu just isn’t suitable at all, so im not really even counting him

I don’t think skill and ability are his issues, it’s good old fashioned work rate, application and desire, which he has to find within himself 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Might be wrong, but wasn't that the first season they went to 3pts for a win and if it was still 2pts for a win, we would have won the league?

P W D L F A W D L F A PTS
1 Liverpool FC 42 14 5 2 50 12 8 9 4 23 20 80
2 Southampton 42 15 4 2 44 17 7 7 7 22 21 77

don't think so. Same number of wins, but they had three more draws.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

he scored quite a few last season. Looking at his stats he scored a hat full in the lower Scottish leagues too. 

Had a great season in the Scottish Premiership last season but fairly dry the previous two (including one in the Belgian league where Onuachu scored a hatful). Interesting one.

Watching the customary youtube compilations. Shankland scores a nice variety of goals, not all of them especially clean finishes. In particular several where his first effort isn't great but it deflects back to him and in. Whether he could do that in a more competitive league is another question, but his movement off a defensive line reminds me a bit of Ings. Depending on price he could be worth a go.

Edited by Colinjb

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

January will be for keeping us on the promotion track. If we have already fallen too far behind, no one of real quality will join. 

Or, conversely, we get in the people we need to push for promotion in the summer and the January window will be about attracting players that will do a job in the prem - a lot easier to attract players who want to play in the prem if you are in the top 2 with half the season done....

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

My mates a hearts fan and he says he’s shit. Not good enough for the championship

pretty damning opinion of a guy that scored 24 in 37 league games and 28 in 47 games for them last year in his first and only season for them. He scored 5 in 28 when he played for Belgium side Beerschot the season before.

If we are going for a 28 year old `proven scorer', it will be Piroe. He ain't signing a new deal IMO and Swansea won't want him walking on a free.  If we are looking for young talent that might also make the step up then Archer would be the guy, but he will be very expensive by Championship terms.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:
  P W D L F A W D L F A PTS
1 Liverpool FC 42 14 5 2 50 12 8 9 4 23 20 80
2 Southampton 42 15 4 2 44 17 7 7 7 22 21 77

don't think so. Same number of wins, but they had three more draws.

I think I remember that we did go down in 1974 as the first team third from the bottom to be relegated but I am not 100% sure

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

In particular several where his first effort isn't great but it deflects back to him and in. 

That what I saw in the Onuachu videos. Quality strikers don't need two go's. And you don't get them in the top flight. Get the feeling he extremely reliant on chances being created for him or does the video you watch suggest he can create and/or magic something out of nothing?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

pretty damning opinion of a guy that scored 24 in 37 league games and 28 in 47 games for them last year in his first and only season for them. He scored 5 in 28 when he played for Belgium side Beerschot the season before.

If we are going for a 28 year old `proven scorer', it will be Piroe. He ain't signing a new deal IMO and Swansea won't want him walking on a free.  If we are looking for young talent that might also make the step up then Archer would be the guy, but he will be very expensive by Championship terms.

He might be winding me up a he’s a bit like that but he’s not a fan. He’s proper Hearts and knows his football, UEFA B coach etc

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

can you expand a bit?

I mean it was only one game, but he definitely stood out. 

Held up play well, caused Rangers’ defence loads of problems, strong on the ball and scored. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

That what I saw in the Onuachu videos. Quality strikers don't need two go's. And you don't get them in the top flight. Get the feeling he extremely reliant on chances being created for him or does the video you watch suggest he can create and/or magic something out of nothing?

Well, here are the videos:

Hearts (SPL): 

Ayr (SD1/SC): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s41JM-feRpg

To me, he can create and latch onto those made for him. Very versatile.

12 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Well, here are the videos:

Hearts (SPL): 

Ayr (SD1/SC): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s41JM-feRpg

To me, he can create and latch onto those made for him. Very versatile.

Nearly all are from inside the box, but there's a good variety of different strikes. He also seems to have a wide variety of penalty choices. No headers though... 

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He might be winding me up a he’s a bit like that but he’s not a fan. He’s proper Hearts and knows his football, UEFA B coach etc

Think Hearts fans were pretty annoyed at their European performance at Rosenberg the other week, so if you caught after that, I'd imagine all players were deemed shit. He scored in the return leg mind you.

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Come on what chance has he got against the mighty che 😀

He did score in scotlands 6-0 win v San Marino I see 💪

Let’s not get excited Even Bazunu managed to keep a clean sheet against San Marino 

3 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Yeah, both Martin and Alfie have intimated thats the case too, which Im happy about

Be interesting to see what level they are… do they push for a start ? Does it block Smallbone etc ?

My money is on McAtee from City was at Sundering last season and excellent and Wilcox was meant to be working on this weekend.

As for Shankland if true that would almost certainly come from Mowbray who was at Aberdeen last year.

• Like 1

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

My money is on McAtee from City was at Sundering last season and excellent and Wilcox was meant to be working on this weekend.

As for Shankland if true that would almost certainly come from Mowbray who was at Aberdeen last year.

McAtee would be an amazing signing. 

26 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Thought McAtee was at Sheffield United?  Anyway, they want him back along with a number of premier league clubs and Man City have apparently already rejected a 30M bid from someone.  I can't see it happening if I'm honest.  Most likely is he ends up going on loan to a premier league club.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Thought McAtee was at Sheffield United?  Anyway, they want him back along with a number of premier league clubs and Man City have apparently already rejected a 30M bid from someone.  I can't see it happening if I'm honest.  Most likely is he ends up going on loan to a premier league club.

Sorry not Sunderland it was Patrick Roberts who we were linked with there- you are right Sheffield Utd had McAtee last season and rumoured Wilcox was trying to get.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Sorry not Sunderland it was Patrick Roberts who we were linked with there- you are right Sheffield Utd had McAtee last season and rumoured Wilcox was trying to get.

You can imagine McAtee will leave city in some capacity, as they are about to sign a winger for £50m+... (Doku?)

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

My mates a hearts fan and he says he’s shit. Not good enough for the championship

I've watched him in depth for the last 6 seasons, and I see a player that is great on the shoulder of the last defender, with a very decent finish and a thirst to score and win. Insane signing. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 1

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

Yeah not great but what are the club supposed to do if he won’t sign a new deal and is leaving on a free next year? 

I understand it, and Ill wait to Sept to see what we do, but Im still disappointed with it

Im generally pretty optimistic as far as Saints/SR is concerned BUT this feels a bit cheap really, Id of preferred closer to 20m

• Like 2

Look, Che.

I rate him, but mainly because of his hold-up play and his ability to pick a pass. However, I think people may be overstating his contribution this season. Yes, he has scored some vital goals, but both the Wednesday goal and Plymouth goal I could have got into position and scored. Norwich was half decent finish, but if you don't think we can replace that with another striker for £15m than our scouting department are fucking rubbish. 

There is also the fact that if he scored 25 goals this season, and we got promotion, then he would be our main striker next season, no doubt. So we'll offer him a bumper contract, and then we'll be stuck with him. Do we want to go through all that again? The bitching and moaning that he's missing easy chances? I can't really do it again. 

For me, sell him, chuck Villa £20m for Archer and be done with it. 

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Look, Che.

I rate him, but mainly because of his hold-up play and his ability to pick a pass. However, I think people may be overstating his contribution this season. Yes, he has scored some vital goals, but both the Wednesday goal and Plymouth goal I could have got into position and scored. Norwich was half decent finish, but if you don't think we can replace that with another striker for £15m than our scouting department are fucking rubbish

Um, yes they are. For strikers, anyway.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Apparently Birmingham have a sizeable sell-on as well, not sure if it's on the profit or overall sale. So we're not seeing all of it either.

No idea how legit it is, but read an article in the Birmingham media (from just after we signed him) and they said it's 10% on the profit.

Assuming that's true, then Brum would get nothing on a £15m sale.

• Like 1