Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

9 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

https://vxtwitter.com/indykaila/status/1694792437011567047?t=ULpBXH0-qhKZL5mQAqFmMg&s=19

Things aren't rosy at Everton it seems.

If the manager goes, it might stop Che going there (if they can actually afford it lol).

I'd love that to be true but I think that Indy Kaila is some young Indian lad in his mum's bedroom. He's done well getting so many followers but he's not a real itk. 

• Like 1

Looks like we should get Nathan Wood signed. Not far apart in what we've offered and what they want. Bit odd that Swansea only offered him a 2 year contract last summer.

Good to add a CB, who I assume will be the ABK replacement. Would like to see us consider a further CB on loan if Lyanco (hopefully) goes

9 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Looks like we should get Nathan Wood signed. Not far apart in what we've offered and what they want. Bit odd that Swansea only offered him a 2 year contract last summer.

Good to add a CB, who I assume will be the ABK replacement. Would like to see us consider a further CB on loan if Lyanco (hopefully) goes

Pretty sure I read somewhere they have the option of a further year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

You were complaining about us selling our best players. It's obvious that would have happened. We've replaced Lavia with another kid from the same conveyor belt. He looks decent. We've replaced JWP with a player who knows this league, knows RM style, and who I think will offer no less than JWP in open play. We've sold Salisu who didn't want to play for us. We've sold we've brought in Manning who'll create loads and has made our left side better than it was last year. 

That, and more, has happened on Wilcox's watch.

I'm not sure what Wilcox has done to make you doubt him. 

Anyways, none of us can do anything about what happens in the rest of the window. If we're up shit creek come September, that's the time to be concerned. 

If he was another unknown Man City nipper we would all be saying so far he is crap. In three games he’s messed up twice and been directly responsible for two goals against us. 
On the evidence so far he is far weaker than KWP at left back and worse than Peraud also. 
That is not an upgrade.

* After 3 games, just what my mk 1 eyeballs are seeing…

• Like 1

I don't really think he's particularly worse than Perraud, who couldn't defend well but was handy going forward. (which is what the criticism levelled at Manning has been, from what I've seen) It'll be interesting to see Perraud's career after Saints. I think he gets talked up a lot by virtue of just not being as shit as the rest of the car crash.

It's been three games for Manning and the two mistakes leading to goals have been incidents of falling over, rather than deliberate bad decision-making or anything like that, so Manning should be cut some slack for now. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on when we have a more settled midfield and when the centre backs calm down - we hope - which should make the games a bit less like watching basketball.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, CSA96 said:

I don't really think he's particularly worse than Perraud, who couldn't defend well but was handy going forward. (which is what the criticism levelled at Manning has been, from what I've seen) It'll be interesting to see Perraud's career after Saints. I think he gets talked up a lot by virtue of just not being as shit as the rest of the car crash.

It's been three games for Manning and the two mistakes leading to goals have been incidents of falling over, rather than deliberate bad decision-making or anything like that, so Manning should be cut some slack for now. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on when we have a more settled midfield and when the centre backs calm down - we hope - which should make the games a bit less like watching basketball.

It’s more than that though, Manning understands the RM tactics really well and I believe has the most number of successful passes in the league. Fullbacks under RM need to be comfortable coming into the centre to overload midfield which takes a level of knowledge and technical ability. Yes he made a mistake and slipped on another occasion, but I can’t see Perraud playing the role better.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He doesn't need to be a fan of Southampton to realise that his best chance of investment return is for us to be a Top Flight team.

If he wants to lose money by the bucket load, he can stay in this league. It's in his business interests for this club to be at the highest level for 1) marketing opportunities, 2) sponsorship opportunities and 3) better access to young talent in order to get those sell-on-fee's.

None of that happens in the Championship.

Obviously they want promotion and we are much more valuable as a PL team, that I accept but the point I was (clumsily) making was ultimately SR purchased us to make money. Yes they have spent but as things stand this morning most of that has been recouped. 

6 hours ago, vectraman said:

If he was another unknown Man City nipper we would all be saying so far he is crap. In three games he’s messed up twice and been directly responsible for two goals against us. 
On the evidence so far he is far weaker than KWP at left back and worse than Peraud also. 
That is not an upgrade.

* After 3 games, just what my mk 1 eyeballs are seeing…

Literally been the first 3 games of the season at a brand new club for him. 

Give him 10 games at least before writing him off ffs. 

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Dig Dig said:

Manning understands the RM tactics really well and I believe has the most number of successful passes in the league. 

Interestingly, he was the only Saints defender not to appear on that list of most successful passes that's been posted here recently.

6 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Interestingly, he was the only Saints defender not to appear on that list of most successful passes that's been posted here recently.

To be fair to him he has had three competitive games with a new team. It takes time to build a rapport with those around you. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dig Dig said:

It’s more than that though, Manning understands the RM tactics really well and I believe has the most number of successful passes in the league. Fullbacks under RM need to be comfortable coming into the centre to overload midfield which takes a level of knowledge and technical ability. Yes he made a mistake and slipped on another occasion, but I can’t see Perraud playing the role better.

Exactly. Manning has played for RM, and he knows exactly what to do. He steps into midfield comfortably, and is great on the ball. He's offered loads going forwards, anf generally in possession.

My point when mentioning him though was to show that Wilcox signings have been decent. We're stronger at LB this season than we were last - Perraud and Manning give us more strength in that position that Perraud and Djenepo, who we stil have if we need to use him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Exactly. Manning has played for RM, and he knows exactly what to do. He steps into midfield comfortably, and is great on the ball. He's offered loads going forwards, anf generally in possession.

My point when mentioning him though was to show that Wilcox signings have been decent. We're stronger at LB this season than we were last - Perraud and Manning give us more strength in that position that Perraud and Djenepo, who we stil have if we need to use him.

It seems like we finally have a full back that can cross the ball as well

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Nolan said:

According to FBREF After 3 games Ryan Manning is in the top 1 Percentile of "Shot Creating Actions"

14 from Live Ball

3 From Dead Ball

1 from Shot leading to another shot.

That first sentence is everything that is wrong with modern football.

😉

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be fair to him he has had three competitive games with a new team. It takes time to build a rapport with those around you. 

I think the main issue that has brought criticism is losing his balance twice. Doubt fans would have been so critical without. 

Being able to stay on your feet shouldn’t need time to acclimatise to those around him. 

Edited by Badger

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Hopefully better than Steve Wood...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think the main criticism is losing his balance twice.

Being able to stay on your feet shouldn’t need time to acclimatise to those around him. 

Well in that case mistakes happen. I think he's been alright in a back 4 that will be different in a weeks time. Let's give him a few games with a settled first 11 midfield and defence .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I’d blanked him out, Branfoot signing from Millwall wasn’t it? Utter crap 

Yes, had played for him at Reading.

I always thought he was just average for the team we had at the time which was crap. 

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Feels like we've wasted so much time on this deal when it was clear that Painstil was never keen on coming here anyway. 

Lets hope big Paul is fit and ready, we're gonna need to use him this season 🙃

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I tend to think of Shot Creating actions quite positive to be honest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the point is, when there is a stat for literally everything, it can be proved that everyone is a world beater at something and also the world's worst at something else, hence the polarisation.

You end up with extreme top trumps.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yes, had played for him at Reading.

I always thought he was just average for the team we had at the time which was crap. 

Yes you’re right, we were terrible and he probably no worse than any of the others. I guess he was part of the decline back then from Nichols 88-90 team to what we had under Branfoot

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Feels like we've wasted so much time on this deal when it was clear that Painstil was never keen on coming here anyway. 

To hang the nets on the crossbar?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Just to give some perspective about our current squad quality here is a snapshot of Burnley's squad from last year and for those who still moan here is a link to help with your issues https://www.amazon.co.uk/nappies-men/s?k=nappies+for+men

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 09.14.40.png

If the window closed today and we have the same squad as we currently have now, I don't think you'll find many moaning. 

The trouble is, it doesn't and we wont. We'll almost certainly lose Che & Tella and we'll most probably lose KWP and Sulamana as well. 

The issue isn't so much losing them, more so we're giving ourselves no time to replace them. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

It wouldn’t be a transfer window without Saints seeming to go up a blind alley on a deal that doesn’t materialise. 

How many times have we heard ‘we tried … but couldn’t get it over the line in time’ ?

Edited by Badger
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

We aren’t getting rid of him are we?

wasn’t it always said that Paintsil didn’t want to come here?

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes you’re right, we were terrible and he probably no worse than any of the others. I guess he was part of the decline back then from Nichols 88-90 team to what we had under Branfoot

I often thought Russell Osman got away with some poor performances based on name and previous reputation, although Wood didn’t have that luxury. (Although when on form Osman was the better of the two). 

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

If the window closed today and we have the same squad as we currently have now, I don't think you'll find many moaning. 

The trouble is, it doesn't and we wont. We'll almost certainly lose Che & Tella and we'll most probably lose KWP and Sulamana as well. 

The issue isn't so much losing them, more so we're giving ourselves no time to replace them. 

The thing is none of us have a clue how much time is spent on any deal, whether any potential deal is ever happening beyond rumour mongering on Twitter and the like or what the club, the management or the players are thinking. We have no idea whatsoever about anything. It is 99.9% guesswork by everyone on here. So to say that "We'll almost certainly lose Che & Tella and we'll most probably lose KWP and Sulamana as well" is entirely guesswork and speculative on your part. Nothing more than bed wetting and scaremongering.

• Like 5