Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

13 hours ago, Themotherfunky said:

https://twitter.com/jbcfc__/status/1690667968030494720?t=eFFNsZCqN-iS3Eb8NidQpQ&s=19

This was posted earlier today. Looks handy enough, he's stalling on a contract extension too apparently..

Looks good to me. Decent age, over 150 games at this level, would weaken another side in the division. The comments mention he's improved quite a bit lately too so there could be upside to come.

I can't understand the idea that Smallbone would want to go to Sheffield Utd. They're odds-on to be relegated this year and probably pay less in wages than we do even after any 40% reduction for relegation. That's before considering any "one of our own" sentimental stuff.

With Downes in he could potentially find himself 4th pick in a 3-man midfield (though personally I'd have Downes at DM behind Alcaraz and Smallbone, with Charles not being asked to be a starter as a teenager but getting playing time when we switch to two DMs and one CM to close out a game (subbed on for Alcaraz or Smallbone) or if we have injuries at CM/DM or across the backline.

• Like 5

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Worth having a read about Downes here. I've had a quick scan and they were raving about him at the start of last season but the consensus was that Moyes didn't like him and was playing out of position when he did get a chance. Sounds very encouraging 

https://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183613&start=560

He seems to be a cracking player. We'll miss JWP's free kicks, but I'm not sure that Downes will offer any less in general play at this level. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, egg said:

He seems to be a cracking player. We'll miss JWP's free kicks, but I'm not sure that Downes will offer any less in general play at this level. 

He’s a heartbeat player and we are going to need that. Cracking signing if it happens. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, St. Neil said:

Any players Liverpool can offer on loan to sweeten the deal, like Kelleher or Salah.

Kelleher is a weird one. Plainly too good to be a number 2. I'd be delighted with him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not even convinced Chelsea want him...I'm confident he'll end up at Liverpool. 

You might be right, but for me, he feels like a Chelsea type with all the youngsters they have signed. Not saying best place for him, but he might feel more at home there.

15 minutes ago, egg said:

It's a big if, but if we can lineup after September with a mixture of Charles, Tella, Downes, Smallbone, Armstrong that's got to be a contender for the strongest midfield in the division. Shame you can't say the same for the defence. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

It's a big if, but if we can lineup after September with a mixture of Charles, Tella, Downes, Smallbone, Armstrong that's got to be a contender for the strongest midfield in the division. Shame you can't say the same for the defence. 

Yep, but I'm confident that the back 4 will be improved. One proven championship CB will make a big difference imo. We're not far away at all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, but I'm confident that the back 4 will be improved. One proven championship CB will make a big difference imo. We're not far away at all. 

Would a proven Championship CB be better than one with over 100 PL starts and 50 Intl caps for a decent European nation?

On paper probably not. Certainly to replace Lyanco in the squad but as a starter?

Sky saying Downes move is a straight loan, i.e no options and should be announced this afternoon.

Edited by Dusic

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Lots going to depend on who we keep hold of.  Can't see Walker-Peters still at SMS come the close of the transfer window, but would love to be wrong. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Would a proven Championship CB be better than one with over 100 PL starts and 50 Intl caps for a decent European nation?

On paper probably not. Certainly to replace Lyanco in the squad but as a starter?

Sky saying Downes move is a straight loan, i.e no options and should be announced this afternoon.

I don’t agree with the ‘champion experience’ line personally, never have

If Man City or Real Madrid somehow found themselves in the Championship (hypothetically) I’m sure they’ll have zero problems being promoted, and what championship experience do they have ? Probably zero.. or close too

What we need is competent players that hopefully have a degree of leadership ability to compliment what we already have

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I think so, yes. Look at one our former youngsters Alfie Jones and how he's doing, and done,  at Hull. 

Not sure how I feel about Holgate though. Seems more of a sweeper type than the dominant CB we need.

9 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Sure that would go down well with the Bazanu haters. Let's get the young guy who is behind him internationally.

Ha! Behind him because he doesn't play. His performances for Liverpool impress me a hell of a lot more than Baz's for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t care. Just show me the money.

I think Liverpool will let it play out... Chelsea won't need him, and I can see why he'd prefer Liverpool as he'd actually play.

If Liverpool become the only bidder, the price will fall. If Liverpool match or better Chelsea's bid, I'd say take it and end the saga. 

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Salisu, Lavia, JwP, Tino (to a lesser extent), probably AbK, Adams....all departed (or likely to)

Just shows what a poor managerial appointment Jones was (along with retaining Ralph)

How many games did Salisu, Lavia, Tino, ABK miss last season? 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I think Liverpool will let it play out... Chelsea won't need him, and I can see why he'd prefer Liverpool as he'd actually play.

If Liverpool become the only bidder, the price will fall. If Liverpool match or better Chelsea's bid, I'd say take it and end the saga. 

Why? We know they’re willing to pay £60m, why would we now settle for less?

• Like 2

Just now, Nolan said:

Looks like we'll have broken the record for incoming fees received by a championship club in any summer window.

Its so important that we get the re-investment right.

If we're sensible we can use the funds to recover some semblance of financial security after relegation whilst also recruiting effectively to ensure we have an improved quality of first team and therefore playing squad.

49 minutes ago, mitch01 said:

Lavia bid goes to £60m 🤣

Say what you want about getting deals done early, but we're pulling a masterclass in how to get the most pennies from a sale here. Have basically pitted two top 6 teams against each other and are using them both to bump each other's bids up. £60m for Lavia is a great deal after less than a full season of PL football. 

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Didn't we end up accepting a lower bid from WH for Prowsey?

Unlikely Liverpool, I don’t think West Ham ever indicated they were prepared to pay more than the £32m we ended up with. On the face of it, that looks like we accepted a lower fee than we’d like in exchange for getting a disproportionate chunk of it up front.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Let's see how this ends. It's just a hunch, but I don't  think it'll be Chelsea, and I don't think he'll go for £60m. There was shill bidding in the Rice transfer.

5 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

If we're sensible we can use the funds to recover some semblance of financial security after relegation whilst also recruiting effectively to ensure we have an improved quality of first team and therefore playing squad.

Yep. Downes, a top lower league cb, someone like Grimes and a striker and maybe a winger is not going to break the bank and will cost at most 50 million. Hopefully we can keep the rest in reserve for future seasons or recoup some of the losses from relegation. 

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think its pretty obvious that Chelsea will likely take him, and reports are that Chelsea have agreed terms

Looks like Liverpool are trying to just outbid to end Chelsea’s interest, so lets see what Chelsea’s resolve is

38 minutes ago, egg said:

Even then, Stephens and Bazunu would not get in anyone's best championship team. KWP likely to go IMO so definite defensive reinforcements required. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Even then, Stephens and Bazunu would not get in anyone's best championship team. KWP likely to go IMO so definite defensive reinforcements required. 

I think Stephens or Bednarek will be instantly improved with a steady and influential CB next to them tbh

• Like 2

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

I think Stephens or Bednarek will be instantly improved with a steady and influential CB next to them tbh

I think Stephens and Bednarek would be instantly improved by signing two new centre backs who can head the ball and mark players.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Looks like we'll have broken the record for incoming fees received by a championship club in any summer window.

Its so important that we get the re-investment right.

It's been a while since we won the net spend trophy, are we going to do it or will West Ham / Brighton hold on ? 

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That may be true. Doesn't really change anything I said though. 

Well… no I suppose not

My point is that their negatives are highlighted because they play together, IIRC they’ve always been shite when they play together, and they make less mistakes next to a capable CB

So I do think, with a good CB, we could see the best of either

Couple of snippets I've come across (nothing new);

WHU final offer was structured so we received the majority of the fee upfront and favourable terms on the Downes deal.

(they were considering a move for Lukaku at one point)

Saints asked about Ronnie Edwards, P'Boro wanted £8-10million.

Holgate Saints want a loan with an option to buy for £6million.

Palace back in for Macca, waiting to move on Guaita.

Simeu and another due to go out this week. 

Piore number one target, if Adams is sold but RM want's to keep Che. 

Similar situation to Sulemana, RM really wants to keep him but needs convincing. 

Edited by Monk
  • Like 31

4 minutes ago, Monk said:

WHU final offer was structured so we received the majority of the fee upfront and favourable terms on the Downes deal.

Similar situation to Sulemana, RM really wants to keep him but needs convincing. 

Edwards would be quality.

6 minutes ago, Monk said:

When you say asked about Edwards, did we ask and then consider it too much or are we actively interested?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monk said:

Ronnie Edwards I know little about but he's a good age for that price. Not the tallest though which was an issue against Norwich. Same with Holgate although I wonder if he's a right back option if KWP goes.

If Palace want Alex I'll drive him there but it doesn't mean we wouldn't replace him with a 1st choice. I still think Baz is there to stay.

I also think if Martin wants to keep Che he's going to have to start him. He's not going to be happy coming on as the impact sub all season. I reckon there'll be enough interest in Che from the Prem that he'll go, especially in light of his contract situation. Which means hopefully we will get Piroe. 

I'm not holding my breath with Sulemana, although him, Tella, Edozie, Armstrong x2 and A-A make for excellent wide options. And then there is Djenepo...