Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I loved the idea of Ronnie Edwards but after seeing our set-piece issues, and the fact we only have two starters over 6ft as it is, it may not be wise to go after a 5’11 CB.

Similar to Holgate who is just 6ft, and shit.

Agreed. Admittedly it's only from Videos but I do like the look of Vyner from Bristol City. He's 6 ft 2, looks good on the ball and likes a tackle. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I loved the idea of Ronnie Edwards but after seeing our set-piece issues, and the fact we only have two starters over 6ft as it is, it may not be wise to go after a 5’11 CB.

Similar to Holgate who is just 6ft, and shit.

Pal at work who is a Posh fan and his view is that Edwards is a very good technical footballer, low centre of gravity and close control, but only feasible at centre half in the middle of a three.  Also said that his 'Wikipedia height' of 5'11 is a tad optimistic and much nearer to 5'9 in the flesh.  Not sure we need anymore midgets or Wikipedia six-footers.  Agree with you about Holgate and can't see the attraction.  If he joins he would likely be our Maitland-Niles loan for this season. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Pal at work who is a Posh fan and his view is that Edwards is a very good technical footballer, low centre of gravity and close control, but only feasible at centre half in the middle of a three.  Also said that his 'Wikipedia height' of 5'11 is a tad optimistic and much nearer to 5'9 in the flesh.  Not sure we need anymore midgets or Wikipedia six-footers.  Agree with you about Holgate and can't see the attraction.  If he joins he would likely be our Maitland-Niles loan for this season. 

We had a 6 foot 7 defender who was absolute crap in the air. We could do with someone a bit taller but being able to defend is more important

• Like 5

Flynn Downes (and or playing Shea Charles) would presumably leave our defence less exposed, but Downes isn’t tall so won’t help with set plays.

I do wonder if Martin is re-assessing the defensive situation in the light of the last week or so. Edwards and Holgate are indeed short for cbs and the Vyner link came from nowhere so maybe we’re looking at other options? Harwood Bellis is also a bit taller but other than being a Man City youngster who Wilcox would know, I’m not aware of any genuine links. He’s also a Stockport lad and was at Burnley last year so might prefer staying in the North West - there’s enough clubs up there for sure.

This will obviously be a busy week with JWP, Lavia and Downes finalised so hopefully we get some idea as the week progresses but there’s still question marks over Tella, Sulemana, Adams, ABK, Smallbone, KWP plus (some guess work, some blind optimism) efforts to move on Perraud, Onuachu, Lyanco, McCarthy and Mara … possibly Bree, so we’re going to be in a state of flux right until the end of the Window.

I’m comfortable with midfield (unless Smallbone leaves), full back (unless KWP goes) and wide players and assume we’d replace those two if they left. We do need a striker though, and definitely need presence in the heart of defence so I would love to see our Salisu, Tino, JWP and Lavia cash invested here.

I might also want a GK but the club are sticking with Baz so not going to add to that discussion.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Monk said:

Couple of snippets I've come across (nothing new);

WHU final offer was structured so we received the majority of the fee upfront and favourable terms on the Downes deal.

(they were considering a move for Lukaku at one point)

Saints asked about Ronnie Edwards, P'Boro wanted £8-10million.

Holgate Saints want a loan with an option to buy for £6million.

Palace back in for Macca, waiting to move on Guaita.

Simeu and another due to go out this week. 

Piore number one target, if Adams is sold but RM want's to keep Che. 

Similar situation to Sulemana, RM really wants to keep him but needs convincing. 

The favourable terms on the Downes deal seems to me to be the key bit in the Prowsey transfer for us. If Downes ends up getting us promoted - and my WHU mate reckons he'll boss the Championship - then it's worth a hell of a lot more than insisting on £40m for JWP. Great business. 

• Like 3

I think we can be confident that Lycano and ABK both leave, meaning we need to sign 2 CBs. I wouldn't actually be shocked to see Bednarek go either. Assuming we invest in one young CB we hope can grow with us and step up to the PL (Wood, Edwards) who would probably cost ~£10m they would likely play alongside Stephens, and Jan isn't going to want to sit on the bench in the Championship. So once we have Downes and probably one more CM in, I think the attention will turn that way.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

We had a 6 foot 7 defender who was absolute crap in the air. We could do with someone a bit taller but being able to defend is more important

It is, but a rarity and likely a weakness for a CB pairing in a team already lacking in height competing in a physical league.  Then again, he could be the new Des Walker.  I have a feeling that if he signs SFC will look to develop him as a defensive midfielder, he has all the attributes for that.   

It seems a pretty appropriate, rational and natural response for many of our fans to be calling for some height and dominance in central defence, in light of our piss-poor defending of set pieces and crosses.

Is the set piece issue to do with players, or tactics and coaching? Our zonal marking seems particularly suicidal. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why are we so delighted about selling our player? Lavia is class obviously but why do we care whether Liverpool or Chelsea buy him? As long as we get a massive pay out, he can go to Pompey for all I care.

No one's delighted but between the two, we seem to have a decent and respectful relationship with Chelsea and haven't done badly out of their players who have come our way. Liverpool, on the other hand, are a bunch of self-entitled pricks who have royally fucked us over down the years

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

In my eyes the most important thing about getting a new CB, is getting a good defender, not a tall player. By the looks of it most of you are hoping to sign Vestergaard back ;)

Or Virgil van Dijk - the £13m six foot five inch, short-arse! 

Was just reading that Leeds have lost 7 players on loan, the latest being Harrison to Everton. This is because all those players had relegation clauses in their contract that allowed them to pursue loan deals. Crikey...that's piss poor management hey.

So compared to us likely getting something like £140m+ in for our players, Leeds have managed £4m.

Things can always be worse!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Was just reading that Leeds have lost 7 players on loan, the latest being Harrison to Everton. This is because all those players had relegation clauses in their contract that allowed them to pursue loan deals. Crikey...that's piss poor management hey.

So compared to us likely getting something like £140m+ in for our players, Leeds have managed £4m.

Things can always be worse!

Genuinely if I were a player I'd be considering saints over some of the lower prem teams and certainly over the likes of Luton and Sheffield United. Big chance they will at least be in the same league as us next year and possibly we coukd swap places

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Report from Southampton FC Updates on X that talks have opened with Genk on a swap deal with Onuachu and Joseph Paintsil, who racked up 32 goals from 39 games. Sounds interesting.

Dunno where that stat of 32/39 is from, his wiki page says 18/39.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Report from Southampton FC Updates on X that talks have opened with Genk on a swap deal with Onuachu and Joseph Paintsil, who racked up 32 goals from 39 games. Sounds interesting.

Judging by Onuacho we can take the Belgium league goal scoring stats with a pinch of salt

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

In my eyes the most important thing about getting a new CB, is getting a good defender, not a tall player. By the looks of it most of you are hoping to sign Vestergaard back ;)

I get that, but we literally need both.

We’ve conceded 8 goals this season and about 6 of them have been from set pieces? Reducing the height of our team even further sounds like suicide.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a good defender who is also capable of being beneficial aerially, not a compromise required where we can only have one or the other.

I feel ashamed I actually recommended Onuachu 🤣🤣🤣

I have never witnessed such a abysmal striker considering he resembles a giraffe the man is incapable of heading a football...

I bow my head in shame absolute terrible signing 🤣

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

I have never witnessed such a abysmal striker considering he resembles a giraffe the man is incapable of heading a football...

Don’t feel so bad. How many times have we seen him on the pitch, for how long and how many times did another player offer him the opportunity to use his head? And from what I saw he could control the ball well with his feet too. His one flaw IMO was his lack of movement, but the same could be said for others too.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

There's a difference between wanting someone around 6'2/6'3 over someone who's 5'9/5'10, it doesn't mean we need someone 6'7 with the turning circle of the globe. We showed we needed height the other day. Lisandro Martinez at United shows you can be a great CB without height, but it isn't necessarily what we need in a team that lacks it. Edwards AND a tall CB as a pairing would be ok.

The Shea Charles transfer shows that SR haven't learnt much from last year.  Then, as now,  we needed players who could make an immediate impact but apart from Lavia we signed ones who could possibly be good in two of three years time.

Does anyone actually appreciated the amount we have spent on Charles?  A lot of Championship clubs only have yearly income of around £20m per YEAR but we've spent £10m on one player.  It would be like us spending £75m on a player for the future if we were still in the PL.

Have a look at the transfer spends of Stoke, Millwall, Blackburn, etc it's incredible how little money is spent.  Most get by on a couple of million spent on transfers and a host of loans.

Edited by once_bitterne
  • Confused 1

Just now, once_bitterne said:

The Shea Charles transfer shows that SR haven't learnt much from last year.  Then, as now,  we needed players who could make an immediate impact but apart from Lavia we signed ones who could possibly be good in two of three years time.

Does anyone actually appreciated the amount we have spent on Charles?  A lot of Championship clubs only have yearly income of around £20m per YEAR but we've spent £10m on one player.  It would be like us spending £75m on a player for the future if we were still in the PL.

Have a look at the transfer spends of Stoke, Millwall, Blackburn, etc it's incredible who little money is spent.  Most get by on a couple of million spent on transfers and a host of loans.

We're also bringing in at least £130m in sales so it's all a bit relative.

Also, regarding Charles, he made us look 10x better when he came on against Norwich so I'm not sure there's much criticism warranted here.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Also, regarding Charles, he made us look 10x better when he came on against Norwich so I'm not sure there's much criticism warranted here.

Agreed, he looks a class player to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

That money is going to pay for last season's £160m transfer net spend, far more than in any other season in the club's history (probably more than them all combined to be fair).  

It has to come from somewhere given we've lost the PL TV money.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

He just needs a run of 8 games. I am confident that if he is given a chance he will form a good understanding with Boufal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, once_bitterne said:

Have a look at the transfer spends of Stoke, Millwall, Blackburn, etc it's incredible who little money is spent.  Most get by on a couple of million spent on transfers and a host of loans.

Charles made us look more balanced and rounded on Saturday so not sure I agree with that. We’ve received and expected to receive a large amount of cash for our players so when you compare that to a 12 (rising to about 15) million pounds spend on an international player with lots of promise from an academy we got lavia from I am not too concerned. Those teams you named haven’t been around the prem for a while, and stoke spent stupid money and wages on aging talent, hence their demise and slip into being average. We’re (hopefully) signing Downes and have signed manning, alongside the return of Tella and Smallbone (if they stay) who have championship experience

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

After the Lyanco disappointment I'm not getting hopes up until I see the signing video.

I know what you mean but I can't help but think if we get him to leave without having to pay someone to have him, that's got to be the deal of the window surely?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Have a look at the transfer spends of Stoke, Millwall, Blackburn, etc it's incredible how little money is spent.  Most get by on a couple of million spent on transfers and a host of loans.

He was arguably our best player on Saturday.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

That money is going to pay for last season's £160m transfer net spend, far more than in any other season in the club's history (probably more than them all combined to be fair).  

It has to come from somewhere given we've lost the PL TV money.

Here We Go Discovery GIF by Shark Week

• Like 2