Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I'd have thought Chelsea are spending £100m on players because what they want to do it win the league and champions league themselves multiple times, rather than as some kind of incubator club to sell on for a profit later on. They're buying him now so they have a player worth £200m in 3 years time, not to sell him but to stop them needing to buy one.

Saudi League is a different thing and not quite relevant and even now would interpret that unless peak players really want to play their peak years in Saudi league I don't see it as a reason to overly worry about sell-ons.

Why woudn't you put a sell on cluase for our wanted best players? Tino and Lavia had them, yet we still  bought them. Brighton sold Caceido for over 100 mill with a sell on clause. 

Our transfer team need to sit with Brightons and see what strong armed tactics they use to always get the  absolute best deal they want on their terms.

It is an added layer of negotiations that a modern club needs to get savy about.  It should be a tool for us selling clubs that takes the chance on young, raw players, who get heads turned by the big clubs after we polished up those gems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

Absolutely mind-blowing numbers being thrown around. 

aYXnAKx.jpg

It's that bottom one that sickens me most. Half a million euros every time he posts something on Instagram blowing sunshine up the arse of the murdering despot Saudi regime.

He's literally sold his soul to the devil.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's that bottom one that sickens me most. Half a million euros every time he posts something on Instagram blowing sunshine up the arse of the murdering despot Saudi regime.

He's literally sold his soul to the devil.

LOL. You want to maybe check out the UK or the US mate.  Pretty sure we are equally as bad, if not, worse!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 15

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

LOL. You want to maybe check out the UK or the US mate.  Pretty sure we are equally as bad, if not, worse!

You think the UK is as bad as or worse than an extremist Islamic regime that openly murders dissident journalists, and gives out 34 year prison sentences for following and retweeting critical accounts on Twitter.

Righto.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Isn’t it still at the offered £25M stage….? Or have I missed something?! 

Taking things written on twitter or any news site as gospel is folly. I am not saying everything is untrue, but you are much better off using these stories as a guide, with specifics, such as amounts and timings, very much subject to change.

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You think the UK is as bad as or worse than an extremist Islamic regime that openly murders dissident journalists, and gives out 34 year prison sentences for following and retweeting critical accounts on Twitter.

Righto.

This can go on all day. We have a very nasty recent past (and present). I suggest we are in no position to criticise a completely different culture, in a region where we directly contributed to the death of 100,000s of people.

if they want to lock people up for 34 years and kill dissidents, that is up to them. David Kelly and Julian Assange may say we are not perfect...

Anyway, I agree, it is obscene money. 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

57 minutes ago, GDog07 said:

The guy has the potential to be a star for us in this league, could put up a huge total of assists and goals if he put his mind on the job in hand, but i’m assuming he’s downed tools.

Shame, but we don’t want folk around that don’t want to be here and he’s obviously one of those now clearly.

Agreed. It was very obvious when Martin said he was getting treatment externally that he had downed tools/gone on strike because he wanted to move (and no doubt a club had already made an offer). It's a players go to tactic these days when trying to force a move. When that happens, the writing is on the wall. As I mentioned a day or two ago, he is gone. Just a matter of time until the deal is announced. Fuck him. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Righto.

Don’t want to turn this into a political/human rights forum but I’ve worked in recent times in a legal capacity with various human rights groups trying to help people in Saudi. The things that go on out there are horrific. Beyond your worse nightmares. 

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The last sentence reads as: Dortmund are not going to pay the €25m release clause, so if someone else does, then Southampton will have to accept that offer, so he will possibly be joining that club and not Dortmund. We shall see.

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

This can go on all day. We have a very nasty recent past (and present). I suggest we are in no position to criticise a completely different culture, in a region where we directly contributed to the death of 100,000s of people.

if they want to lock people up for 34 years and kill dissidents, that is up to them. David Kelly and Julian Assange may say we are not perfect...

Anyway, I agree, it is obscene money. 

Agreed. if those pointless arguments can find their way onto another thread somewhere, I'm sure it'll be most appreciated

Anyway, on Sulemana, if he's downed tools and the 25m is legitimate. I'd say let him go. We near enough break even, and can bring in someone who actually wants to be here. Shame, as many people probably agree, he could have been awesome... maybe sneak a sell-on clause in to satisfy some on here ;-)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Romeu - Barcelona

AbK - Dortmund (potentially)

JwP - West Ham

Salisu - Monaco

Sully - Monaco (potentially)

DCC - Lyon

Tino - Newcastle

Lavia - Chelsea (likely)

We finished bottom on 25 points or so. Good god!

Fair point, however no GK or strikers on that list.

• Like 1

While we wait for an annonucement...

The highlights from this game against us is why I thought we should have signed Downes last summer (and possibly we tried).

He won't always come up against a side that gives him as much room as we did, but you should get a good idea of the type of player he is. Very one footed, but comfortable on the ball and seems to make a lot of very good decisions as to when to play it one touch and when to use more.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Fair point, however no GK or strikers on that list.

Yep and also two of those players were unavailable for almost the entire season. Still, here we are 12 months on and many of us are yet to be convinced that those positions up front and in goal are strong enough for a promotion campaign.

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Romeu - Barcelona

JwP - West Ham

Salisu - Monaco

DCC - Lyon

Tino - Newcastle

Lavia - Chelsea (likely)

As much as we can joke about 8/10 transfer windows, this suggests our recruitment isn't that bad in some areas. Just that they forgot to sign the striker Ralph needed.

"All the right notes, but not necessarily in the correct order " springs to mind.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, gecko said:

Anyway, on Sulemana, if he's downed tools and the 25m is legitimate. I'd say let him go. We near enough break even, and can bring in someone who actually wants to be here. Shame, as many people probably agree, he could have been awesome... maybe sneak a sell-on clause in to satisfy some on here 😉

Monaco certainly have a habit of selling their stars for serious money, so a sell-on clause would be a good idea for him, if possible. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Romeu - Barcelona

JwP - West Ham

Salisu - Monaco

DCC - Lyon

Tino - Newcastle

Lavia - Chelsea (likely)

I said last season we had superb individual players that would be poached by big clubs.

Our mistake last season was not to have them playing as a team and lacking experience in key areas such as GK CB and a goalscorer

• Like 3

Just now, Crab Lungs said:

Perfect club for an arm waving, gesticulating nonentity pretend hard man.

How long before media pieces start to appear suggesting that PeH is a world class talent, and his signing for Liverpool would be a massive bit of brilliant business

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

How long before media pieces start to appear suggesting that PeH is a world class talent, and his signing for Liverpool would be a massive bit of brilliant business

They did when he first joined spurs and what a great player Mourinho had turned him into, funnily enough they stopped when Mourinho left. I’ve no doubt should he join Liverpool it’ll start again 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Agreed. It was very obvious when Martin said he was getting treatment externally that he had downed tools/gone on strike because he wanted to move (and no doubt a club had already made an offer). It's a players go to tactic these days when trying to force a move. When that happens, the writing is on the wall. As I mentioned a day or two ago, he is gone. Just a matter of time until the deal is announced. Fuck him. 

If it is the case that he's 'downed tools' then the club need to get him gone asap. Name our price and get the deal done and the money in so that it's in the kitty for players we want to buy.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Right, so why would Brentford loan out their no1? Surely handicaps them, don't care about Arsenals side in this.

Brentford had already brought in Mark Flekken to be their new number one earlier in the summer.