Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

It doesn’t work like that though, does it. Obviously promotion is the aim but selling players for big fees isn’t what makes a team successful. Given the money spent last year and our drop in revenue, we can expect a modest outlay in some decent replacements but we clearly don’t have £150m to go chucking at a team of Galacticos in the next two weeks.

Have some faith. Wilcox at the helm and Martin’s barmy army is gonna piss the league 

3 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Fabrizio reporting £50m+ add-ons. I imagine this is where the reduction in Tinos sell on clause comes into play with Liverpool offering £60m this morning

Smart business all around as it means less sell on for city 😂🤣. Us and Chelsea stitching pool and city up a bit here 😆

19 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Football doesn’t work like that unfortunately, but I agree, we should be leading the way… there or there abouts this year

I want to win it. Sick of always being runners up. Id rather we didn’t go up then go up as runners up

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Enzo will start regardless and they’ll be mad to play him in the 10

He wants to play further forward. He's never been a number six but has ended up doing a job there for the national team and Chelsea in the last six months due to a lack of options. 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I want to win it. Sick of always being runners up. Id rather we didn’t go up then go up as runners up

Fully back you here. Fuck the premier league, losing every week, VAR, & the absolute clown show of it all. 

Now we are down in the champ I am happy to stay here until we build a side capable of winning the league and giving us something to properly celebrate for once. 

• Like 4

Just now, qwertyell said:

He wants to play further forward. He's never been a number six but has ended up doing a job there for the national team and Chelsea in the last six months due to a lack of options. 

He played in a double pivot for both Benfica and River Plate too.. even in an 8 he doesn’t tend to burst a gut to get forward, although he is ok at it, he played a bit in the 8 towards the end at Benfica but he is more naturally a 6/8 hybrid

Either way.. he won’t play in the 10… 

I imagine it’ll be Caicedo/Enzo double pivot

3 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Fully back you here. Fuck the premier league, losing every week, VAR, & the absolute clown show of it all. 

Now we are down in the champ I am happy to stay here until we build a side capable of winning the league and giving us something to properly celebrate for once. 

Yep so far in my life we’ve been runners up in the various versions of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd divisions, league cup twice and fa cup once. The premier league isn’t the be all And end all, I want us to frigging well win something for once 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

That won't happen in reality though will it. If we fail to go up this year we will end up selling our best players again and having another reset only with less resources than we did before. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That won't happen in reality though will it. If we fail to go up this year we will end up selling our best players again and having another reset only with less resources than we did before. 

This is exactly it, I see people saying they'll enjoy this league more, winning games etc.

But just to remind people of 2008/9 - an absolute cesspit of misery, watching us get dicked at Hull, Wednesday at home against Doncaster and Forest. I wouldn't call that fun.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

This is exactly it, I see people saying they'll enjoy this league more, winning games etc.

But just to remind people of 2008/9 - an absolute cesspit of misery, watching us get dicked at Hull, Wednesday at home against Doncaster and Forest. I wouldn't call that fun.

Staying up on the last day was fun. Relegation was shit though. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Staying up on the last day was fun. Relegation was shit though. 

With hindsight, that one particular game was memorable, the rest of that season was utterly sh*te though. I remember one particular home game, we lost 0-3 to Watford, I don’t think I’ve ever been so p*ssed off at a Saints game. Burley just didn’t have a clue as to even the positions his players were capable of playing and just sat there like a lemon until sending on Hammil in the 88th minute.

Ultimately, winning is fun, losing is sh*t. The nuance being that winning against good teams is more memorable and losing against crap teams is more irritating. I’d rather get promoted and have more seasons like 2012-16, rather than spend years winning against Plymouth and Ipswich.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm wondering who misses out when Alcaraz, Smallbone, Downes and Charles are all available. We have really good depth in midfield at the moment

With the way yellow cards are being shown, at least one will be on a suspension.

Injuries and form will sort it out. Smallbone is probably out for a while.

More concerning is the Sulemana, Tella, Amo-Ameyaw competition for the right hand side. 

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

With hindsight, that one particular game was memorable, the rest of that season was utterly sh*te though. I remember one particular home game, we lost 0-3 to Watford, I don’t think I’ve ever been so p*ssed off at a Saints game. Burley just didn’t have a clue as to even the positions his players were capable of playing and just sat there like a lemon until sending on Hammil in the 88th minute.

Ultimately, winning is fun, losing is sh*t. The nuance being that winning against good teams is more memorable and losing against crap teams is more irritating. I’d rather get promoted and have more seasons like 2012-16, rather than spend years winning against Plymouth and Ipswich.

I just want us to win a cup and maybe get to Europe again. That's only going to happen in the prem. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yep so far in my life we’ve been runners up in the various versions of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd divisions, league cup twice and fa cup once. The premier league isn’t the be all And end all, I want us to frigging well win something for once 

How very dare you ignore the Johnstone's Paint Trophy 😲 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

It doesn’t work like that though, does it. Obviously promotion is the aim but selling players for big fees isn’t what makes a team successful. Given the money spent last year and our drop in revenue, we can expect a modest outlay in some decent replacements but we clearly don’t have £150m to go chucking at a team of Galacticos in the next two weeks.

Exactly, Dragan has been burned once, if he's a shrewd businessman he'll recoup what he can from player sales and parachute payments before spending much again. 

Let's be honest, with two weeks to go you'd hardly say our transfer activity has set the league on fire. We know what panic deadline day signings look like.

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

I wonder what he means that Liverpool took the train too late. I hope it's as literal as it sounds 🤣

Jürgen missed the earlier train. Insisted on travelling to meet Lavia's reps by horse. Because Klipp Klopp. 

6 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Exactly, Dragan has been burned once, if he's a shrewd businessman he'll recoup what he can from player sales and parachute payments before spending much again. 

Let's be honest, with two weeks to go you'd hardly say our transfer activity has set the league on fire. We know what panic deadline day signings look like.

I'd say the fact we have kept hold of so many is the reason that we haven't signed much. Assuming Downes signs tomorrow, I'd say we need just two signings - a striker and a cb - and then replacements for anyone else who leaves. There isn't really a requirement to spend too much of the money we have brought in and actually we'd struggle to do so. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I'm not asking for a team of Galacticos, just something like this would do me...

saints.png

I'm not saying "we have made a load of money so we WILL win the league". 

I'm saying we have a budget that is far superior to every other team except possibly Leicesters, and so we should be aiming to challenge for the title. I don't want us to be midtable after 10 games talking about making progress game by game and pushing our way up the table. I want to see some ambition for once. 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, derry said:

You're absoutely right, ball watching and a lack of concentration together without the ruthless frame of mind to mark tightly. Our defensive coaching is hopeless. A free wheeling passing game WITH the ball is great but if we lose it we need to be ruthlessly tight, passing responsibility doesn't cut it and needs a dose of the hair dryer treatment to those at fault. Our defending is careless and needs a kick in the pants.

Yes I love Alcaraz, but for two of the Norwich goals he seemed to stand and watch in the build up as they ran by him with the ball.

Not blaming him for the goals but he could put much more effort in to get tighter and/or put a tackle in.

Bring back Elyonussi (JK in case anyone in doubt)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm wondering who misses out when Alcaraz, Smallbone, Downes and Charles are all available. We have really good depth in midfield at the moment

Depends on many variables but against teams like SW the first two and one of the second two. Against teams like Norwich the second two and on of the first two. Decent problem to have if Saints get lucky!

Plus Saints best be in the top six by Xmas or a PL team plunk serious cash down for Alcaraz and he might be more tempted?

9 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

On returning to FM a couple of years back, after years away, that was  an early indicator that it wasn't quite what it was cracked up to be. Sadly no virtual equivalent to biting their hand off in the game either. 🙂

He would be about the average age of the Barcelona team that played in Sunday's game, could fit there also. Plus have a pal in the team! 

I'm really not missing VAR where we are now. Regarding the "non-penalty" for Wolves - poor decision by the ref not to give it, but absolutely shameful decision by VAR. And then a yellow card for the Wolves manager for protesting. We would have been fuming if that had gone against us and Wolves have every right to feel hard done by. The Premier League is so biased towards the big clubs it has made the whole league a joke and VAR has got a lot to answer for in that respect. I know Saturday's game against Norwich had it's highs and lows for Saints, but overall, from what I've seen so far in the Championship, the games are more free flowing and thereby more entertaining without stopping for VAR at every marginal decision.   

• Like 7

Not sure i will ever really understand this forum's absolute obsession wirh sell-on fees for our players.

Honestly, it barely matters, it's money that supporters never see. If we're relying on that kind of thing in two years time we really are fucked.

In the case of Lavia to Chelsea for £50-60m it's not a priority is it?

Once you're at Chelsea as a £60m signing, the clubs available to us for sell on benefits is about four in the entire world: Barcelona (skint), Real, PSG and Man City. 

The same for Livramento to be honest, who else are Newcastle going to sell him to for a profit that we benefit from? Maybe, maybe add Chelsea and Man U to the list. So 6 clubs.

Chelsea (and now, Newcastle) are pretty much "final destination" clubs, they're not stepping stones to further fortune later on. They are the fortune.

I'd much prefer we got £5m on the fee now than a promise of something else on the off chance that PSG come in in two years time.

Lastly even at a moral level, Lavia was with us five minutes, and Livramento basically one season. It's not like we've invested that much time and energy in their development.

If the bloody sell-on fee is zero for both honestly fine by me.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 24
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Not sure i will ever really understand this forum's absolute obsession wirh sell-on fees for our players.

Honestly, it barely matters, it's money that supporters never see. If we're relying on that kind of thing in two years time we really are fucked.

Once you're at Chelsea as a £60m signing, the clubs available to us for sell on benefits is about four in the entire world: Barcelona (skint), Real, PSG and Man City. 

The same for Livramento to be honest, who else are Newcastle going to sell him to for a profit that we benefit from? Maybe, maybe add Chelsea and Man U to the list. So 6 clubs.

Chelsea (and now, Newcastle) are pretty much "final destination" clubs, they're not stepping stones to further fortune later on. They are the fortune.

I'd much prefer we got £5m on the fee now than a promise of something else on the off chance that PSG come in in two years time.

Lastly even at a moral level, Lavia was with us five minutes, and Livramento basically one season. It's not like we've invested that much time and energy in their development.

Exactly right, I don’t get the Scousers jumping for joy posting over social media they made Chelsea spend £xxx more on Lavia and Caicedo!

How does that impact the fan apart from they don’t improve the team when Chelsea do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Perhaps those obsessed can add a new stat of xSO for expected sell on fees to get excited about. Expressed as percentages will make it even more legitimate, or just a .06 will create excitement. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

One of the best thought through posts I have ever read on here 👋👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Great post, never really thought about it like that. Well never thought about it if I'm honest.

The Lavia deal is outstanding business. Secures a healthy part of the club's wage bill for at least another year. Lavia hasn't kicked up, kept his mouth shut, and allowed the club to negotiate this price. He deserves credit for that.

I guess sell on fees become important for someone like Smallbone or Tella, if they go to a middling club like Wolves or Burnley.

Did I just call Burnley a middling club ..... oh dear.

4 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Great post, never really thought about it like that. Well never thought about it if I'm honest.

The Lavia deal is outstanding business. Secures a healthy part of the club's wage bill for at least another year. Lavia hasn't kicked up, kept his mouth shut, and allowed the club to negotiate this price. He deserves credit for that.

I guess sell on fees become important for someone like Smallbone or Tella, if they go to a middling club like Wolves or Burnley.

Did I just call Burnley a middling club ..... oh dear.

I seem to remember we got a few million from a sell on when we were in the lower leagues and it was really vital funding at the time. Can't remember who the player was though. Cb is right though that the players who go to the biggest clubs might as well not have a sell on because they aren't being sold until they're old and they will end up going to a smaller club for much less money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Does anyone know if we put sell on percentages in the deals for livra and lavia ?

bit of a missed oppurtunity if not as their next moves could be high 

Hope so. The whole 'sell on percentages' thing eats into to our business model, by some 20% or so by the sound of things.

I don't like the concept, it retains too much financial power with the big clubs who can afford the academies in the first place.

I presume it doesn't work the other way?  'If player gets injured for more than 3 months in the next 5 years then you pick up 20% of his wage cost?'

I'd like to see those clauses outlawed as they afftect the financial dynamic of the sport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

In this era of £100m + transfer fees, and the Saudi money, I doubt that these lads see Chelsea or Newcastle as their final destination. Indeed, for youngsters like Tino and Lavia, there will be undoubtedly be moves for them. If we sell Lavia to Chelsea for £60m, who's to say that he won't be sold on for £100m in a few years - I think that's a very real possibility - he has at least as much potential as Caceido.

It would be sensible business for saints to want a sell on from any profit. Sure, it won't help us now, but I suspect that when/if Lavia gets sold for £120m, that many of us will be bemoaning the club if they didn't agree a sell on clause. 

The above said, if the choice for us was an extra £5m now or a sell on, it'd be the cash now. A bird in the hand etc. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

I'm really not missing VAR where we are now. Regarding the "non-penalty" for Wolves - poor decision by the ref not to give it, but absolutely shameful decision by VAR. And then a yellow card for the Wolves manager for protesting. We would have been fuming if that had gone against us and Wolves have every right to feel hard done by. The Premier League is so biased towards the big clubs it has made the whole league a joke and VAR has got a lot to answer for in that respect. I know Saturday's game against Norwich had it's highs and lows for Saints, but overall, from what I've seen so far in the Championship, the games are more free flowing and thereby more entertaining without stopping for VAR at every marginal decision.   

I watched that game last night too. Wolves were really good. Very quick and outmuscled Man U everywhere too. Played them off the park. And that penalty was absolutely abysmal - if ever there was evidence of corruption in football, or at the very least favouritism to Man U that has gone on for ever at Old Trafford, that was it. Utterly appalling neglect from the muppets who look at screens and call themselves VAR. Wolves should be awarded a point, and Man U deducted 2 (no, I know, not serious, and would never happen, but I'd be spitting blood if I that had happened to us). Adds more fuel to the debate that, actually, the Championship may be better than the money playground that the Premier has become. Long live decisions made at the time! And the correct ones. Or at least don't employ corrupt officials.

• Like 3

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/weekly-wages-southampton-fcs-top-10-highest-earners-ranked/

This makes depressing reading - so much paid for so little endeavour.

If these are accurate we really need to shift a few more players. I’m hoping they don’t take any relegation clauses or salary cuts in to account. But even then we need to shift Djneppo and Aribo. 

I can see us following a similar rumoured approach to McCarthy with some of these - giving them away on frees to get rid of their wages - step forward Lyanco, Aribo and Djneppo.

• Sad 3

I think sell on fees could be important, Chelsea are not top of the tree, and can see the Saudi league throwing huge amounts of money around.

Imagine if van dijk goes there for 150m, that could be a nice chunk of money for us. We can't keep relying on striking gold with the next big thing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/weekly-wages-southampton-fcs-top-10-highest-earners-ranked/

This makes depressing reading - so much paid for so little endeavour.

If these are accurate we really need to shift a few more players. I’m hoping they don’t take any relegation clauses or salary cuts in to account. But even then we need to shift Djneppo and Aribo. 

I can see us following a similar rumoured approach to McCarthy with some of these - giving them away on frees to get rid of their wages - step forward Lyanco, Aribo and Djneppo.

Thanks. I did not expect Moussa and Aribo to be 3rd and 1st. 

17 minutes ago, DT said:

I watched that game last night too. Wolves were really good. Very quick and outmuscled Man U everywhere too. Played them off the park. And that penalty was absolutely abysmal - if ever there was evidence of corruption in football, or at the very least favouritism to Man U that has gone on for ever at Old Trafford, that was it. Utterly appalling neglect from the muppets who look at screens and call themselves VAR. Wolves should be awarded a point, and Man U deducted 2 (no, I know, not serious, and would never happen, but I'd be spitting blood if I that had happened to us). Adds more fuel to the debate that, actually, the Championship may be better than the money playground that the Premier has become. Long live decisions made at the time! And the correct ones. Or at least don't employ corrupt officials.

Whatever the outcome for Saints this season, it will be enjoyable away from the Premier cesspit.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Monk said:

Couple of snippets I've come across (nothing new);

WHU final offer was structured so we received the majority of the fee upfront and favourable terms on the Downes deal.

(they were considering a move for Lukaku at one point)

Saints asked about Ronnie Edwards, P'Boro wanted £8-10million.

Holgate Saints want a loan with an option to buy for £6million.

Palace back in for Macca, waiting to move on Guaita.

Simeu and another due to go out this week. 

Piore number one target, if Adams is sold but RM want's to keep Che. 

Similar situation to Sulemana, RM really wants to keep him but needs convincing. 

I’m wondering if Holgate is seen as our KWP replacement and will play as a RB, rather than to play CB. 

We’ve seen already that playing 2 attacking full backs is leaving us far too exposed, someone like Holgate, who can also play CB, would give us a lot more balance, with manning being slight more attacking of the 2 and theoretically should be able to tuck in and suit our system. 

Would also give the option to play a back 3, if needed. I really like the thought of that one and I think he’d surprise a few. 

• Like 1