Romeu - Barcelona

AbK - Dortmund (potentially)

JwP - West Ham

Salisu - Monaco

Sully - Monaco (potentially)

DCC - Lyon

Tino - Newcastle

Lavia - Chelsea (likely)

We finished bottom on 25 points or so. Good god!

Romeu went early in the season, ABK and Tino barely played, Salisu played a bit but wasn't interested, Sully and DCC joined late and played a handful of games so only JWP and Lavia could be considered to have made major contributions to last season.

• Like 3

Just now, skintsaint said:

But its an option to buy, not an obligation to buy?

It’s basically a transfer, I can’t find the article but its an obligation in most instances, there is a small chance he’ll go back to Brentford but they’ve said they don’t expect him back and have already signed Flekken

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66512991

Loaning out your no1 keeper to be no2?

No doubt getting paid a lot more to sit on Arsenal's bench than play first team football for Brentford. Slightly strange move for Raya though, as you'd think another decent season actually playing for Brentford might earn him a big move next summer and be the no 1 at that new club too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Romeu went early in the season, ABK and Tino barely played, Salisu played a bit but wasn't interested, Sully and DCC joined late and played a handful of games so only JWP and Lavia could be considered to have made major contributions to last season.

very strong back up keeper for Arsenal. They don't need a new third keeper by chance do they?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

great management of the squad, yes?

On 14/08/2023 at 14:18, revolution saint said:

I don't think we can afford to piss around with McCarthy.  Any slightest interest by any club and he should be driven there immediately and left wrapped in swaddling on their doorstep. 

Our fee (or non fee if it was free) didn't seem to be the issue for Luton - so we are clearly not standing in his way of a move. It was more his wage/contract demands that caused that transfer to break down. Whether that's the case for Everton and Palace is to be seen.

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Ahh doh, see Luton have gone for a different old veteran GK in Krul.

Luton couldn't afford McCarthy.

I have to say that I have always liked Krul, but I am guessing he's not as a good as I imagine seeing as he can't get games for Norwich ahead of Gunn?

3 hours ago, Dirkdiggler said:

The club has stated every week that the squad is bloated.

They won’t be selling/moving players on and replacing everyone.

I can see 1 CM, 1 CD defiantly coming in.

Anymore ins will depend on weather RM feels the players leaving would’ve been part of his plans.

Disagree. You have to split the squad into the key players, and the crap ones who add depth but make no real difference.

IMO, its an absolute certainty that if any of these players are sold, they will be repalced by a signing: KWP, Adams, Tella

The ones who pad out thw squad but could leave without being replaced would be the likes of: McCarthy (already signed Lumley), Perraud, Djenepo, possibly Mara if Ballard stepped up

Then there are ABK and Lyanco. If they go then they would need replacing because all squads have four CBs minimum and our four are Stephens, Bednarek, Lyanco and ABK. If Zach Awe is seen as being able to be the 4th then perhaps only one addition would be needed.

But of our key players plus ABK and Lyanco they would be replaced almost one for one, so if we sell a few more then we will end up making quite a few signings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Agreed. if those pointless arguments can find their way onto another thread somewhere, I'm sure it'll be most appreciated

Anyway, on Sulemana, if he's downed tools and the 25m is legitimate. I'd say let him go. We near enough break even, and can bring in someone who actually wants to be here. Shame, as many people probably agree, he could have been awesome... maybe sneak a sell-on clause in to satisfy some on here 😉

chaps my hide a bit.

He came here in February as a record signing, when we were in 20th place, and didn't do fuck all to get us out of 20th place. Now he wants to pout and leave because he doesnt want to play in the Championship. Thanks for nothing.

who knows? an additional 5 or 6 goals from him last season could have kept us up (barely).

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

chaps my hide a bit.

He came here in February as a record signing, when we were in 20th place, and didn't do fuck all to get us out of 20th place. Now he wants to pout and leave because he doesnt want to play in the Championship. Thanks for nothing.

Agree to an extent but personally, I didn't understand why he didn't start every gane that he was fit. Selles refused to play him mostly because he was safety first but he always looked decent when I saw him. I'm not sure he can be blamed for last year. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

chaps my hide a bit.

Has he downed tools? I always understood Salisu was instrumental in persuading him to come to Saints and now that tosser has left, perhaps Sule is looking to leave to.

I was going to suggest we should fish in the S.American sea because Alcaraz seems to have the right attitude...but then Lyanco springs to mind..and Guly....

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ill admit I knkw fuck all about Zeqiri, and can’t find much either

Joined Brighton in 2020 and since been on loan at FC Augsburg and Basel. 

50 apps for Basel last season / 18 goals / 2 assists. Now back at Brighton with little prospect of playing for them this season.

Probably nothing in it, but worth keep an eye on

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Has he downed tools? I always understood Salisu was instrumental in persuading him to come to Saints and now that tosser has left, perhaps Sule is looking to leave to.

I was going to suggest we should fish in the S.American sea because Alcaraz seems to have the right attitude...but then Lyanco springs to mind..and Guly....

I would say he has almost certainly downed tools, which is why Martin is explaining is absence with bullshit like he is `away getting treatment on his own'. The club has clearly received offers, perhaps some not accepted and he ain't happy, wants to leave and has gone awol to force the club to allow him to depart ASAP. Whether a £21.5m bid from Monaco is enough to make that happen, time will tell.

I agree, Argentina is the place to look for players. The clubs have no money, but lots of talented players that you can pick up for a song. What was wrong with Guly? I thought he did a great job for us.

• Like 5

Just now, Chez said:

I would say he has almost certainly downed tools, which is why Martin is explaining is absence with bullshit like he is `away getting treatment on his own'. The club has clearly received offers, perhaps some not accepted and he ain't happy, wants to leave and has gone awol to force the club to allow him to depart ASAP. Whether a £21.5m bid from Monaco is enough to make that happen, time will tell.

I agree, Argentina is the place to look for players. The clubs have no money, but lots of talented players that you can pick up for a song. What was wrong with Guly? I thought he did a great job for us.

I loved Guly. Was a lot of fun watching him play

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Joined Brighton in 2020 and since been on loan at FC Augsburg and Basel. 

50 apps for Basel last season / 18 goals / 2 assists. Now back at Brighton with little prospect of playing for them this season.

Probably nothing in it, but worth keep an eye on

Brighton seem to have done very well buying talent, loaning them out until they seem Premiership ready, then utilising them when another players departs. Not sure a position has opened up or if he is Prem ready (obviously doesn't need to be to play for us).

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I loved Guly. Was a lot of fun watching him play

Maybe we look to buy Brazilian attackng players and Argentinian defensive types. Or better still, just buy good players from either nation. 

Edited by Chez

I hope there is a significant and well considered target list being worked on that we have not been privy to. As previously noted, our recruitment over the next few days and weeks will determine not only this season but the direction of the club over the next few years. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Brighton seem to have done very well buying talent, loaning them out until they seem Premiership ready, then utilising them when another players departs. Not sure a position has opened up or if he is Prem ready (obviously doesn't need to be to play for us).

True. Reading the RAWK forum this morning to cheer myself up on some scouse victimhood, some on there were seriously suggesting watching who Brighton are looking to place Caicedo with and just lumping in and buying him (because as they say "we are a much bigger club and he would come to us over Brighton" etc etc)

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Harsh on Guly! He was a massive player for us in our double promotion seasons. In the prem not so much!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Our fee (or non fee if it was free) didn't seem to be the issue for Luton - so we are clearly not standing in his way of a move. It was more his wage/contract demands that caused that transfer to break down. Whether that's the case for Everton and Palace is to be seen.

Everton 'sources' are indeed reporting that Saints have said he is 'free to a good home', so if they can agree personal terms, it seems we are prepared to let him walk away.

41 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

True. Reading the RAWK forum this morning to cheer myself up on some scouse victimhood, some on there were seriously suggesting watching who Brighton are looking to place Caicedo with and just lumping in and buying him (because as they say "we are a much bigger club and he would come to us over Brighton" etc etc)

Brighton have already got a replacement, it’s the replacement of the replacement they need to get in but they won’t as he will not be able to go into the first team for a few seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Brighton have already got a replacement, it’s the replacement of the replacement they need to get in but they won’t as he will not be able to go into the first team for a few seasons. 

I wonder how long it will be before their decision makers are prised away. They are doing a mighty fine job and it won't have gone unnoticed by the big boys

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

chaps my hide a bit.

who knows? an additional 5 or 6 goals from him last season could have kept us up (barely).

oh i don't disagree; i remember him doing very little for us in his short time here so far. But somewhere along the line, prima-donna footballers got it into their heads that the contracts they've signed aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Assuming he actually has downed tools, the alternative is that we keep hold of him and he may become a Gnonto @ Leeds. Is it worth sticking a 25m player in the reserves to rot on principle.... probably not imo, even if we had the financial luxury

1 hour ago, SaintTex said:

chaps my hide a bit.

Funny, I thought he DID do fuckall to get us out of 20th place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I wonder how long it will be before their decision makers are prised away. They are doing a mighty fine job and it won't have gone unnoticed by the big boys

I was chatting to a Brighton supporter yesterday and he reckons Tony Bloom has developed some algorithm to spot talent based on the principles he uses for his gambling 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richardc said:

I was chatting to a Brighton supporter yesterday and he reckons Tony Bloom has developed some algorithm to spot talent based on the principles he uses for his gambling 

It's true. I have a friend connected to Brighton's board and Tony Bloom has his own data analytics company and it's something they've developed internally for Brighton's sole use. It does what our famous black box supposedly did looking at everything from ability to character and 'fit'. A very slick move from a slick poker player...

• Like 2

I'm losing track of the.plaayers that have left this summer, can someone do a summary of who has gone where and for how much? 

The Sulemana rumour (downing tools) sounds consistent with what I've heard, we'd have been better off signing the chuckle brothers than Sulemana and Tall Paul on deadline day, remember being sat in a pub in Newcastle before the semi final and fans generally were excited with the two buys. Combined with Orsic whoever was responsible for those signings needs to be kept well away from decision making. Hopefully we can at least get all our money back on Sulemana. 

Edited by JRM

The Sulemana “downing tools” rumour I have only seen through other people positing it on here.

He did alright when he did play at the back end of last season, so I’m sure it would’ve gone noticed by some bigger clubs.

I don’t think Salisu was necessarily instrumental in bringing him here, given that Salisu had downed tools long before. 
But I do think his compatriot leaving might make him think twice about staying at the club. 

Pretty sure he’s been injured the last few weeks, not a “Salisu injury”.

3 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

If you want a limited ball winner then Hojbjerg is fine, his stats from a purely destructive POV are fantastic.. its any technical ability he struggles with

If I was Klopp Id look at Sangare (yes him) or Zubamendi

Hands of Zubamendi !  Real Sociadad have already lost Sorloth and David Silva. 

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Sulemana “downing tools” rumour I have only seen through other people positing it on here.

I don’t know about downing tools, he only seemed to pick the bloody things up for a meaningless game against an almost non existent or interested Liverpool defence. 

Im not sure how we’d miss him tbh.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

It's true. I have a friend connected to Brighton's board and Tony Bloom has his own data analytics company and it's something they've developed internally for Brighton's sole use. It does what our famous black box supposedly did looking at everything from ability to character and 'fit'. A very slick move from a slick poker player...

I now firmly believe the black box was an old scouts tombola box painted black, with loads of raffle tickets in with random hcdajfu player names written on them in biro.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Can play centre mid and centre half, would add some much needed height and utility in a long season.  Could be a loan as with Norwich last year.  Early work with Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett a good example of progressive soul, and Theme from Shaft still a surefire banger! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

As an Atlanta United MLS season ticket holder we have fished that South American pond and brought is a bunch of 'talent' to be let downs. Only Josef Martinez (now with Messi in Miami) and Almiron have been big success stories.

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I'm losing track of the.plaayers that have left this summer, can someone do a summary of who has gone where and for how much? 

The Sulemana rumour (downing tools) sounds consistent with what I've heard, we'd have been better off signing the chuckle brothers than Sulemana and Tall Paul on deadline day, remember being sat in a pub in Newcastle before the semi final and fans generally were excited with the two buys. Combined with Orsic whoever was responsible for those signings needs to be kept well away from decision making. Hopefully we can at least get all our money back on Sulemana. 

Walcott - released

Elyounoussi - FC Copenhagen - free

Caballero - Leicester (coaching staff)

Orsic - Trabzonspor - £2M

Salisu - Monaco - £15M

Livramento - Newcastle - £32M rising to 40M

JWP - West Ham - £30M

Caleta-Car - Lyon - Loan

Diallo - Al-Duhail - ?

N'Lundulu - Bolton - ?

Lis - Goztepe - Loan

Payne - Newport - Loan