Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

A problem with McCarthy, and one that Bazuna needs to work on is communication. To be effective, keepers need be loud and communicative to their back line. McCarthy is more like he’s at communion. 

I always thought Shilton was a little overrated but, blimey, he was good at shouting and keeping his defence in position. And blaming them for every goal conceded…

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Can we tout him to Real Madrid as a perfect goalkeeper in his prime? 

On returning to FM a couple of years back, after years away, that was  an early indicator that it wasn't quite what it was cracked up to be. Sadly no virtual equivalent to biting their hand off in the game either. 🙂

8 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm wondering who misses out when Alcaraz, Smallbone, Downes and Charles are all available. We have really good depth in midfield at the moment

With that sort of quality playing and when chasing a game you could have all 4 in with 3 behind and 3 up top. 

It’s a fucking long season, Charles has a lot of hardening to do and so keeping all 4 happy should be easy. Potential to be a top Championship midfield with plenty of growth to make it in the Premier should we make it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Channons Windmill said:

I always thought Shilton was a little overrated but, blimey, he was good at shouting and keeping his defence in position. And blaming them for every goal conceded…

All goalies worth their salt blame their defence when a goal is scored against them. I remember playing CB and our GK took every goal we let in extremely personal and used to shout and swear at us how we let him down etc. It was never, ever his fault.

To be fair, it made us all play better because you didn't want to undergo all the shouting, swearing and abuse he'd give you if a goal went in 🙂

10 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm wondering who misses out when Alcaraz, Smallbone, Downes and Charles are all available. We have really good depth in midfield at the moment

At the rate players are being booked this season, whichever ones aren’t suspended 😉

In all seriousness I’d suggest it’ll be Downes, Smallbone and one of Charlie or Stu (probably Charlie). You can then go tighter or more attacking with Charles or Stu depending on circumstances. In a 46 game season there will be suspensions and injuries so they’ll all get used enough I’m sure. With Aribo, Doyle and possibly even Finnigan and Dibling I think there’s plenty of options for cover so doubt we’ll add anyone unless someone leaves.

As ever, I’ll probably be completely wrong 😂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So...I mentioned this on another thread, but it's all well and good getting excited about the fee's we've managed to make from Tino, JWP, Lavia, Salisu etc (upwards of £100m) and the wages we've saved on McCarthy, Moi, Theo etc but it's all irrelevant unless we ensure this is invested correctly.

This is our last opportunity to generate decent fee's with our current batch, failure to reinvest this correctly will lead to a long time in lower league football.

Jason Willcox has a big job on, but I'm sure they've been planning for this for some time! Flynn Downes in on loan is a positive start, but we need to keep pushing.

We’ve replaced Lavia with Charles

JWP with Downes

Willy with Lumley

Im sure, based on certainly the former two, that we have adequate replacements in mind

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Lavia decides to join Chelsea over Liverpool

Lavia decides to join Chelsea over Liverpool

Getty Images

Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia has decided to join Chelsea.

Relations between the two clubs are good, so no issues are anticipated regarding an agreement.

A fee in the region of £50million plus add-ons is expected to seal the 19-year-old’s transfer.

Chelsea faced competition from Liverpool for the Belgium international, but the Anfield side are aware of Lavia's choice.

Lavia would be joining another Liverpool target, Moises Caicedo, in moving to Stamford Bridge

------

Latest update is that Lavia has made his decision. I'm happy for the lad 💪

Thought the bidding was reported to have gone uo to £60million.

20 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He's definitely rhe guy in between he's really excellent at the link up. 

A midfield of Alcaraz, Smallbone and Charles really is the way to go.. Until Downes comes in then he will be the DM.

This would be my midfield and im surprised that those 3 didnt start on Saturday. Having Downes in the squad would mean we have options, can always go 4231 and play both against teams that will probably attack us (top 6 teams) or attacking 433 when teams are more likely sit back playing for a draw or lucky breaks, meaning either Charles or Downes will drop to the bench. 

4 minutes ago, DrunkenSaint said:

This would be my midfield and im surprised that those 3 didnt start on Saturday. Having Downes in the squad would mean we have options, can always go 4231 and play both against teams that will probably attack us (top 6 teams) or attacking 433 when teams are more likely sit back playing for a draw or lucky breaks, meaning either Charles or Downes will drop to the bench. 

I think we’ll see Downes/Smallbone/Alcaraz and in the tough matches against more able midfields we’ll see Charles/Downes and one of Smallbone/Alcaraz

Charles will, imo, cover DM and CB meaning we may only see 1 CB coming into the club

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Anyone know if Downes all sorted? Heard a lot of chatter but nothing concrete. 

A bit more than "chatter" to be honest, in that Martin pretty much said it was happening back on Saturday, and Sky/others reporting he was having a medical yesterday.

The only risk is if a Premier League team tries to hijack it, or Downes changes his mind and says he wants to "fight for his place" or something.

The only "concrete" thing is the club actually announcing it, which of course they haven't done yet.

1 hour ago, Channons Windmill said:

I often thought Pele and George Best were overated and never thought much of Messi to be fair. Always thought Ronaldo had a mistake in him.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

So are Chelsea planning to play lavia alongside caicedo, or is lavia going to be bench sitting. You’d think Liverpool would make more sense from a playing perspective.

Poch played 4-2-3-1 for us and Spurs.

Lavia and Caicedo may be Chelsea's Schneiderlin and Cork.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

No, but they are squad players, so unless you think the back 4 are going to stay fit all season in the champs, we need good cover surely?

sure. decent point, but whenever we change 11 players for a cup game we usually look fucking terrible. Take a couple out of that side and put them into the championship side and they can perform. ABK stays he does a great job, he departs (looks likely) and we'll bring someone in.

Luton looking at McCarthy too, but put off by his 50k a week wages. So that’s Everton, Palace and now Luton. Surely we can get rid? I’d make this a big priority, with an experienced keeper coming in. Not that 16 year old. Schmeichel please. Let’s cure Saints’ long-running keeper blindness!

18 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

I rarely get involved in transfer chat but Spurs are looking to sell Japhet Tanganga. Could he be what we’re looking for defensively? 

Edit: just read he’s been linked to Inter. Back in my box I go.

Someone on here suggested Djed Spence, we should be all over that and adds much needed height at the far post.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Streaky said:

Someone on here suggested Djed Spence, we should be all over that and adds much needed height at the far post.

A note of warning that he played as a wing back for Forest.  Doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good signing, but it's not easy to evaluate how he defends in a four.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Lets be honest, with the money we've brought in just from Tino, JWP and soon Lavia we should be aiming to win this league, promotion at bare minimum. Surely the club understand that as well. 

I don't want to hear any bollocks about gelling. 

How long did it take for Man City to win anything after their takeover

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Lets be honest, with the money we've brought in just from Tino, JWP and soon Lavia we should be aiming to win this league, promotion at bare minimum. Surely the club understand that as well. 

Football doesn’t work like that unfortunately, but I agree, we should be leading the way… there or there abouts this year

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's not much different from the amount Leicester have got for Madison, Barnes and probably to come Ihenacho or Daka. I'd still have them as favourites ahead of us for the title. 

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It will take a few months for this team to be consistent at a level we want.  Until that time, the extra quality we have over most teams will likely make a difference.  It may have been easier to sell some players for less money earlier in the window, but that would be setting some dangerous precedents.  Instead, we've had to find the balance between fighting for the right fees and getting the income in within a timely manner so we can still buy the players we want.  We'll know if we've done that in a few weeks.

If you'd have told me a few months ago that we'd take 4pts out of the first 6 available, look good overall and only crap defending at set pieces was the problem with getting 6pts, and we'd have a total of 50 or so shots in those two league games whilst also getting £130m in for Lavia, JWP, Tino and Salisu I'd be really happy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

All goalies worth their salt blame their defence when a goal is scored against them. I remember playing CB and our GK took every goal we let in extremely personal and used to shout and swear at us how we let him down etc. It was never, ever his fault.

To be fair, it made us all play better because you didn't want to undergo all the shouting, swearing and abuse he'd give you if a goal went in 🙂

Sounds like we played for the same team 😂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It doesn’t work like that though, does it. Obviously promotion is the aim but selling players for big fees isn’t what makes a team successful. Given the money spent last year and our drop in revenue, we can expect a modest outlay in some decent replacements but we clearly don’t have £150m to go chucking at a team of Galacticos in the next two weeks.