Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

43 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Once again, The Athletic writing articles stating the bleeding obvious… 🙄 

Personally I found the article quite interesting. It contained a few bits of inside info and I liked to see it laid out simply as it makes it easier to deduce who is likely to be off and what sort of team we will have next year. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Tosh as usual. He's been our best player in recent matches. Not saying much I know but at least he's had a good go at trying to keep us afloat. Surprised he hasn't been offered a coaching role with the youngsters as he has a very good attitude towards young players

Eh? I'm pretty sure were talking about Orsic (or at least I was), not Walcott who was signed on a free and will be leaving on a free

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Maybe let them watch training sessions. He's the bollocks in them.

poor man's Karol Poborsky...possibly signed on the back of one decent game at the World Cup.

4 hours ago, redkeith said:

Any Reading players worth looking at ? 

Can't believe we didn't go after Olise when he was there.

Joa always looked useful up front.  Better than AA at least . 

I liked Omar Richards who was with Reading two years ago (and it's noticeable how they have dropped off without quality players like him) before joining Bayern Munich and then on to Forrest. Hasn't played all season for them due to injury. A decent left back would be a good start to our rebuild.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pengi said:

Supposing a miracle happened and we stayed up - what would SR do?

Seriously this is so disappointing, publicly putting out that we are waiting for relegation. Whatever must Ruben and the players think - nothing to play for and Ruben knowing that his contract is not being renewed. This is the lowest point in my time as a Saints fan - ever lower than when we went into Admin. 

An unconfirmed news report, from a famously unreliable source, has you at your lowest point ever as a Saints fan? Blimey.

I mean, I was at Hillsborough a couple weeks after it was announced that we were going into administration, watching a pathetic 2-0 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday that saw us pretty much relegated, whether we got the ten point deduction that season or not. I don't recall that being a high point. Anyone at Fratton Park seeing us get dismantled in that 4-1 defeat on our way to regelation might also disagree that this moment is the lowest of the low, but hey, opinions differ.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Tosh as usual. He's been our best player in recent matches. Not saying much I know but at least he's had a good go at trying to keep us afloat. Surprised he hasn't been offered a coaching role with the youngsters as he has a very good attitude towards young players

This trope keeps popping up despite the elephant in the room that not one of our attacking players, young or old, has looked anything approaching competent since Walcott rejoined us. For all his supposed guidance and good example to our youngsters; Obafemi, N’Lundulu and Tella have looked useless for us and ended up getting farmed out to lower league clubs. In fact the latter of the three seems to relish playing and training with Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez far more than he ever did with Walcott.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

This trope keeps popping up despite the elephant in the room that not one of our attacking players, young or old, has looked anything approaching competent since Walcott rejoined us. For all his supposed guidance and good example to our youngsters; Obafemi, N’Lundulu and Tella have looked useless for us and ended up getting farmed out to lower league clubs. In fact the latter of the three seems to relish playing and training with Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez far more than he ever did with Walcott.

He’s good for youngsters, like Bazunu. Makes him feel confident all week in training with his piss poor shots, although he does add to the complacency on a match day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I agree. Also, I heard that Alex Crook saying Theo has been one of our best players and letting him go was a mistake, which is weird because he always looks to me like a Dad in a Lads v Dads game with no end product and very little start product either, and some trotting at 3/4 pace in between. Still, each to his own. He talks a good game, but sadly his skills or pace haven't been there for a good 4-5 years now. Punditry awaits.

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Once again, The Athletic writing articles stating the bleeding obvious… 🙄 

The athletic journalists are a mixed crowd. Anka was quality and it was great when he covered us - he had a lot of tactical and analytical knowledge and was able to write about it well, also embedded himself well with the overall club, fanbase, and ex players. Dan Sheldon certainly had no love of saints / ralph (especially) as far as I could see, and the quality of his analysis (when it even happened) was pretty poor.

Jacob Tanswell is okay, he does some data analysis but i can't think of a single article where he has added anything of merit on the tactical front. And as you say, he manages to write an awful lot about nothing, or stuff that is very obvious. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chez said:

An unconfirmed news report, from a famously unreliable source, has you at your lowest point ever as a Saints fan? Blimey.

I mean, I was at Hillsborough a couple weeks after it was announced that we were going into administration, watching a pathetic 2-0 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday that saw us pretty much relegated, whether we got the ten point deduction that season or not. I don't recall that being a high point. Anyone at Fratton Park seeing us get dismantled in that 4-1 defeat on our way to regelation might also disagree that this moment is the lowest of the low, but hey, opinions differ.

Remember the Charlton home game? They were below us in the league and awful, we had them at home after it had just been announced we’d be deducted 10 points if we stayed up and go down anyway or 10 points if we went down. Of course we lost so had the ten points knocked off us the next season and we all knew we were going to be in administration a few weeks later, that was pretty bad

46 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Remember the Charlton home game? They were below us in the league and awful, we had them at home after it had just been announced we’d be deducted 10 points if we stayed up and go down anyway or 10 points if we went down. Of course we lost so had the ten points knocked off us the next season and we all knew we were going to be in administration a few weeks later, that was pretty bad

I thought the -10 was only confirmed for the following season after the home match v Burnley (last home match of the season).

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

I thought the -10 was only confirmed for the following season after the home match v Burnley (last home match of the season).

Wanst Burnley the game when we were relegated anyway? I may be wrong but at Charlton we were on the brink of going into admin and Mcwinney announced that we’d be deducted 10 points anyway if we stayed up and losing at home to them basically was our last chance to stay up. Burnley I thought was the game where we went down anyway without the point deduction, could be wrong though, it all seemed to merge into one as was a really depressing time. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Wanst Burnley the game when we were relegated anyway? I may be wrong but at Charlton we were on the brink of going into admin and Mcwinney announced that we’d be deducted 10 points anyway if we stayed up and losing at home to them basically was our last chance to stay up. Burnley I thought was the game where we went down anyway without the point deduction, could be wrong though, it all seemed to merge into one as was a really depressing time. 

Yes losing to Burnley (or did we draw?) meant we were relegated and points were deducted the following season. Angry pitch invasion followed I think? 

I thought we were 'down' already when we played Burnley, but the -10 was still 'to play for', as we might have still finished above the relegation places, so in effect not winning that match meant it was carried over.

As you say, a longish time ago., and the finer detail is lost in the mists of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Green said:

Yes losing to Burnley (or did we draw?) meant we were relegated and points were deducted the following season. Angry pitch invasion followed I think? 

Certainly remember that bit. Flares being thrown, the full works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

I thought we were 'down' already when we played Burnley, but the -10 was still 'to play for', as we might have still finished above the relegation places, so in effect not winning that match meant it was carried over.

As you say, a longish time ago., and the finer detail is lost in the mists of time.

Either way I’m not sure how they got away with making us carry the -10 over. Should have had it that season and let us start with a clean slate. Can’t remember any other club having to deal with that 

39 minutes ago, Green said:

yes, we drew 2-2. 

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Either way I’m not sure how they got away with making us carry the -10 over. Should have had it that season and let us start with a clean slate. Can’t remember any other club having to deal with that 

Didn't the League change the rules prior to the season specifically to stop teams announcing they were going into admin after they were effectively relegated to avoid getting the -10 point hit the following season. We thus couldn't have any gripes, but I think we still appealed it (or were going to), saying  it was the holding company went into admin not the football company. 

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Didn't the League change the rules prior to the season specifically to stop teams announcing they were going into admin after they were effectively relegated to avoid getting the -10 point hit the following season. We thus couldn't have any gripes, but I think we still appealed it (or were going to), saying  it was the holding company went into admin not the football company. 

I can’t remember but we did try and appeal and say it wasn’t the club but Southampton leisure holdings but they ruled against us, as you’d expect. I do remember people feeling we’d been stitched up a bit by that rule about we got whatever option was worse for us. I also remember leaving the Charlton game knowing we were down. That’s season was depressing but at least we had a hit of fight in us in the pitch and in the stands, this season just feels like we are just wanting to put out of our misery with not a single person, aside from a few deluded fools thinking we’ve got any hope whatsoever and everyone in agreement that we absolutely deserve it. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Forest away when we were already down and potentially playing our last game was quite a low point. 

12 hours ago, Pengi said:

Supposing a miracle happened and we stayed up - what would SR do?

We effectively need 12 points from 12 - we've only managed 12 in the last 4 months. If we survive it will rival any miracle Jesus could perform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

James Milner to Brighton. A very good signing. Won’t play every game, might not even start much but an experienced player to come on and see a game out, a  bit of know how, still very fit and can play a number of positions. It staggers me why we’ve never even tried to sign these sort of players over the last 10 years or so.

Just now, Turkish said:

James Milner to Brighton. A very good signing. Won’t play every game, might not even start much but an experienced player to come on and see a game out, a  bit of know how, still very fit and can play a number of positions. It staggers me why we’ve never even tried to sign these sort of players over the last 10 years or so.

Our Milner (Romeu) was cheered out of the door on Saintsweb. Past it 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

been shocking for liverpool this season so he looks like he’s passed it if he’d need to play. good for the dressing room though.

8 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

been shocking for liverpool this season so he looks like he’s passed it if he’d need to play. good for the dressing room though.

Liverpool have been shocking for most of the season. Like i said he probably won’t start many but I’d rather have him coming off the bench for 20 minutes than some of the bellends we’ve had the last few years 

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

I can’t remember but we did try and appeal and say it wasn’t the club but Southampton leisure holdings but they ruled against us, as you’d expect. I do remember people feeling we’d been stitched up a bit by that rule about we got whatever option was worse for us. I also remember leaving the Charlton game knowing we were down. That’s season was depressing but at least we had a hit of fight in us in the pitch and in the stands, this season just feels like we are just wanting to put out of our misery with not a single person, aside from a few deluded fools thinking we’ve got any hope whatsoever and everyone in agreement that we absolutely deserve it. 

Personally, I didn't feel we were stitched up.  The revised admin rules were put in place to stop teams getting away with it, as we would have done if we'd taken the ten point hit having gone down anyway.

I also thought the side mirrored this one a little. Although there were plenty of senior players, they were all shit, and we were relying kids to keep us up, and they couldn't. We were extremely lightweight, without a decent striker and McGoldrick's effort was certainly in the Aribo league. The managers were inspiring, and the combination had relegation all over it. We barely survived the season before and in general we were a sinking ship of a club.

I agree with you about passion off the field. Fans were certainly fed up, like they are today, but they seemed more willing to vent than now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

Walcott is the only one that springs to mind and that hasn't worked out. It's a big commitment to spend £100k a week on these kind of players.

Did you want us togo for Lallana? I am not convinced Brighton have got valve out of him, mind you we've spent similar amounts (on transfer fee and wages) on worse.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Turkish said:

There was a cut-off date: go into administration before that date, and the 10 point penalty would only apply to the current season, regardless of relegation or not. After that date, the penalty carried over to the next season if you're relegated without it (which happened to us of course).

The ruddy-cheeked bastard chose to go into administration a few days after the cut off date, a parting "gift" to the club. His "attempt" to avoid it by claiming the parent company was in administration, and not the club, was a pathetic attempt to cover his vindictive tracks. He knew full well it was a bogus argument, and that the club would be stuffed in League 1. He could easily have taken us into administration a few days earlier to avoid the infamous L1 -10 points.

• Like 5

Kevin danso assist and Lois Openda (😭 - £7m last summer) goal to give lens a 2-1 win over 3rd place marseille in ligue 1, moves them up to 2nd and 3 points of PSG.

Missed opportunities 😭

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Kevin danso assist and Lois Openda (😭 - £7m last summer) goal to give lens a 2-1 win over 3rd place marseille in ligue 1, moves them up to 2nd and 3 points of PSG.

Missed opportunities 😭

We are such a joke of a club. Danso was clearly a decent prospect and yet he never got a chance except for five minutes at full back for some reason. When he got a couple of minutes at CB he looked really good. 

We have literally made horrendous decision after horrendous decision for the last few years. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

We are such a joke of a club. Danso was clearly a decent prospect and yet he never got a chance except for five minutes at full back for some reason. When he got a couple of minutes at CB he looked really good. 

We have literally made horrendous decision after horrendous decision for the last few years. 

A big step up for Danso, who didn't look out of place in his few appearances but he became the scapegoat for poor performances from others in the team

who were a more permanent fixture in Ralph's set-up.   After that he never got off the bench which I think was a bit unfair of RH who might have persisted a with him.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2023 at 14:01, Chez said:

Walcott is the only one that springs to mind and that hasn't worked out. It's a big commitment to spend £100k a week on these kind of players.

Did you want us togo for Lallana? I am not convinced Brighton have got valve out of him, mind you we've spent similar amounts (on transfer fee and wages) on worse.

A bit different though. Milner is extremely fit, apparently he always wins the Liverpool preseason fitness tests, he’s not had any injuries and is a real leader. Walcott has been in decline for years and struggles with his fitness. He’d be exactly the sort of player you need if you’re going to have a few 18 year olds 

• Like 1

Ashley Barnes has been told by Burnley his contract won't be renewed. 

Type of player we should be looking at to add to the squad for next season. 3 Championship promotions, and played 30+ games for Burnley last season. 

Plus it will stop his inevitable goals against us next season. 

I'd imagine Rasmus spreadsheet will show some stat that means he's not good enough and we'll sign another Tall Paul type instead.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I do not want Ashley fucking Barnes playing for us.

I hate him too, but in a league like the Championship, I could see a role for a nasty sod like Barnes to streetwise the likes of Morgan, Mara and Ballard.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, redkeith said:

I hate him too, but in a league like the Championship, I could see a role for a nasty sod like Barnes to streetwise the likes of Morgan, Mara and Ballard.

Exactly this. We need players who know how to get out of this league. And we desperately need leaders in that dressing room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I do not want Ashley fucking Barnes playing for us.

No, let’s stick with the superstar forwards like Mara and Armstrong. Why would we want a proven shithouse to help get us promoted anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

55 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

No, let’s stick with the superstar forwards like Mara and Armstrong. Why would we want a proven shithouse to help get us promoted anyway.

He's an absolute prick.

Pretty sure there's someone else who could do a better job than a player who scored 5 goals last season.

Also pretty sure that our only options aren't 1) keep our current strikers and 2) buy Ashley Barnes but if they are I'd go with 1 and take my chances thank you.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He's an absolute prick.

Pretty sure there's someone else who could do a better job than a player who scored 5 goals last season.

Also pretty sure that our only options aren't 1) keep our current strikers and 2) buy Ashley Barnes but if they are I'd go with 1 and take my chances thank you.

Why are we buying Ashley Barnes? He's out of contract. 

Matthew LeGod mode deactivated 

Need a goal scorer, not somebody who contributed 5 goals in a team that ran away with the league. 9 league goals in his last three seasons. Need a Lambert, Sharp, Connolly strike force again, who all bagged more than Barnes did this season, despite Lambert being the clear main man and Sharp only playing after January.

To put it into context, Jos Hooiveld scored two more in our promotion season than Barnes has this season, while Guly, who wasn't everybody's favourite bagged double.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Akpom and Carrick double for me next season.

Put Tella and him together with Ballard sharing the bench duties with either Adams/Mara.

Adams wont be playing Championship football, let alone sat on the bench trying to do so.