Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

3 hours ago, Chez said:

It will sound daft after the nightmare we have had this season, but getting talented youngsters on loan from the top Prem sides often pays dividends. Burnley have benefited this season from several loans from Man City for example. 

I'd like any new manager coming in from abroad, should that be the case, to be bringing some gems with him, be them youngsters or senior players. Again Burnley have benefitted from the Belgium talent that Kompany brought with him

I think buying some more south Americans, especially from Argentina where there is no money, makes sense. There seems to be plenty of young talent. Whether a Championship club can attract them, I'm not sure.

We’ve got enough kids we signed this summer before we need to worry about bringing any more in on loan. 

we need 5-6 experienced players who have been there done that to rebuild the spine of the side and build a team around them. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, redkeith said:

I would happily take schniederlin or Cork back, know the club, know the league and are good leaders.

Norwood from t 'e blades would be a good fit.

We are desperate for leadership in the middle, whether we say up or not.

We need to stop being obsessed with bringing old faces back, I see it all the time, whether it’s those two, Adkins, Lallana etc. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Appy said:

We need to stop being obsessed with bringing old faces back, I see it all the time, whether it’s those two, Adkins, Lallana etc. 

why? I would take Fonte back in a hearbeat.

Edited by stevy777_x

On 06/04/2023 at 19:15, Chez said:

Anyone that thinks there are no financial pressures this summer is deluding themself.

The owners merrily chucked in 150m this year. Sales of Lavia/JWP/KWP/Salisu/ABK/Adams/Tella would net similar (40+40+5 lots of 15 is a reasonable rough estimate; if you think I'm short then sell Bednarek/Lyanco/Orsic/DCC/Alcaraz/Sulemana/Onuachu/Stu/whoever else too). Expiring contracts for Walcott and Elyounoussi will fall off the wage bill. There will still be a big chunk of change coming in from being in the PL this year.

Unless you think Dragan is going to throw in the towel, pocket the sales money to get back the money put in, then try to squeeze his original 100m out of the club somehow too, there are no financial pressures this summer.

If I'm wrong about the sales (we keep everyone bar Lavia and Salisu) then there's obviously some financial pressure, but also an obvious commitment from the owners to risk their money for a quick return to the PL. We'd need a striker (we already have a stack of promising kids and a few options who are proven to be high-quality at this level), a defensive mid or two, maybe a CB (ABK+Bednarek+DCC+Stephens+Lyanco+Simeu would be enough in this extreme "sell no-one" scenario; in reality the first three will probably go and in doing so fund a replacement or two) and a manager.

• Confused 1

With players holding the ace cards contractually, I wonder how easy it’s going to be to move players on. Walcott and Ely-no-usey will go because we don’t need to renew (although I suspect Walcott will be retained in some capacity). Beyond that, releasing the likes of Orsic and Oneacho will be unlikely as that will cost money unless there was a clause RE relegation (but I doubt that). We’ll see valued players sold such as Salisu, ABK, Lavia, KWP, Perraud, Che, Alcarez. Unfortunately JWP will likely stay.

This will leave us with a bloated squad of poor quality and unsuitable for the Championship, let alone a push for a return to the Prem. We are in such a mess I can see another dismal season upcoming and even another relegation battle. Massive summer ahead, but a Board incapable of finding a way out. Maybe Semmens will be let go with Ankerson left to steer the ship with the new Director of Football?

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Could do with someone like Connor Coady. Doubt very much he would be interested in stepping down a level now though

We seem allergic to signing anyone over the age of 30, and when we do we refuse to play them (Orsic).

Absolutley need to make some 30 somethings our first signings in the summer, not necessarily world beaters but players who have some brains to them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Appy said:

cork isn’t actually a bad shout though. Captain of the team who are going to romp the division we’ll be in next season. Can’t see him wanting a return though. 

Schinderlin not so much. Currently playing out in Oz, which probably shows his level now. 

• Like 1

On 06/04/2023 at 08:15, Chez said:

Anyone that thinks there are no financial pressures this summer is deluding themself. 

We have owners happy to put money in (albeit not directed particularly well), plenty of saleable assets and parachute payments

So no I don’t really see any immediate financial pressures… you could argue we’d be looking over our shoulder if we fail to bounce back in that first year but ultimately we’re in reasonably good shape

Just selling Lavia and KWP will likely net us 50-60m for a start

20 hours ago, redkeith said:

I would happily take schniederlin or Cork back, know the club, know the league and are good leaders.

Norwood from t 'e blades would be a good fit.

We are desperate for leadership in the middle, whether we say up or not.

Schneiderlin has played only 4 games for Sydney Wanderers mate

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

The owners merrily chucked in 150m this year. 

Unless you think Dragan is going to throw in the towel, pocket the sales money to get back the money put in, then try to squeeze his original 100m out of the club somehow too, there are no financial pressures this summer.

but also an obvious commitment from the owners to risk their money for a quick return to the PL. 

No I don't think Dragen is going to throw in the towel, but that doesn't mean our financial situation is all rosey in the garden. As I understand it, Dragen used a loan to help buy the club - which is pretty standard these days. The question is, do we know if he is paying it back personally out of his own funds or will it be similar to the Glaziers with the club paying it back? We will have to wait until 2024 to see the accounts before we know how the £130m of transfers have been funded. Has that money come from a shareholder loan or another bank loan to add to the £70m we already had? 

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m sure more kids will be signed this summer.

If they are of Lavia's standard, that is fine by me. But if we just add more Larios', that's not going to work.

I wonder who'd win an 8 a side game between, the older or younger signings? Two keepers puts the older fellas at a disadvantage 

Bazunu

ABK, Larios

Edozie, Lavia, Alcaraz, Salumana

Mara

Caballero/Lis 

Bree, DCC

Aribo, AMN, Orsic

Onuachu

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d take Alex Scott of Bristol City. Never seen him play but he’s world class on Football Manager…..
*Rasmus’ eyes lit up as he read this*.

I'd take Alex Scott off of Football Focus.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 16/04/2023 at 17:44, Turkish said:

We’ve got enough kids we signed this summer before we need to worry about bringing any more in on loan. 

we need 5-6 experienced players who have been there done that to rebuild the spine of the side and build a team around them. 

I agree, unless our marvellous scouts have identified Bale Mark II, we don't need any more kids, but I've no problem focusing on 22-26 year olds, rather than 30 year olds. Players that will help reset the club. Ultimately, I'm not really fussed how old they are, so long as they help generate a confident attacking side with the ability to get between the lines to forge chances and perhaps cut teams to ribbons on the break. 

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d take Alex Scott of Bristol City. Never seen him play but he’s world class on Football Manager…..
*Rasmus’ eyes lit up as he read this*.

is he the ex saint who’s been really good this season. aren’t prem clubs after him? 

4 hours ago, Chez said:

If they are of Lavia's standard, that is fine by me. But if we just add more Larios', that's not going to work.

I wonder who'd win an 8 a side game between, the older or younger signings? Two keepers puts the older fellas at a disadvantage 

Bazunu

ABK, Larios

Edozie, Lavia, Alcaraz, Salumana

Mara

Caballero/Lis 

Bree, DCC

Aribo, AMN, Orsic

Onuachu

That first team would easily win I reckon. Funny that the second one has 4 regular internationals who havent really shown anything in their time with us!

The board has invested in young players to develop them and sell them on for higher price. I think we may well be stuck with the majority of these next year. This will be in the anticipation that they improve and saints come back to PL. 

with this in mind they may well also invest in Selles continuing. I think the question will be which of the senior players will want to stay and which the board will hang onto. There are bound to be a few that go, but some of the current fringe players will likely become the core of the team next year. I think it’s going to be another high risk approach to next season. I sure the board believe that this team will perform well at the lower level. 😬

We will need to rebuild the spine or core of the team - call it what you will - this summer with players who are proven at championship level in the 24-28 age bracket so we have the experience and potential to get back up in 2 or 3 years.

The current team - once you take out the star players JWP, KWP and Lavia who will undoubtedly leave plus the likes of Che Adams and Salisu who only have a year left on their contracts - will struggle in the Championship. I think the Grimsby game proved that.

A lot of players like ABK, Orsic, Caleta-Car, Bednarek and Lyanco will also look to leave us this summer. They won’t want to play in the Championship and hopefully relegation clauses in their contracts mean they won’t be ‘stuck’ here on big wages they can’t get elsewhere.

Walcott, Caballero and Elyounoussi should all be allowed to leave when their contracts end.

same with AMN and his loan.

Tella is not coming back from Burnley and Stephens will stay at Bournemouth if they stay up.

I’d happily let Adam Armstrong join Ipswich if they are serious.

Hopefully Diallo, Djneppo and Aribo will be moved on as well.

The team needs a major overhaul to change its mentality - and it’s losing habit.

The young players on loan like Simeu, Watts, Chauke, Smallbone, N’Lundulu and Olaigabe will be back and give us some strength in depth.

But we really need to brining in players like Matt Grimes and Joel Piroe from Swansea, Gyorekes and Gustavo Hamer from Coventry - the best players in the championship from the teams that won’t get promoted - to give us that solid and experienced spine we lack.

Maybe we should bring Target back from Newcastle.

Add a few gems from lesser leagues abroad and maybe one or two loans from the Premier League (eg Djed Spence) and hopefully we will have a competitive team.

But most importantly we need a proper manager with a defined way of playing and a team of proper coaches to support him.

• Confused 1

Talksport Breaking News:

“JWP will be allowed to leave if Southampton get relegated.”

Not exactly breaking and not exactly surprising, and as always with Talkshite - absolutely no source with the story.

Probably an Alex Crook “special”. 🤣

Side note: I still think JWP will be here next season. I think he’ll only leave if something was seriously wrong behind the scenes with the board/staff etc.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Talksport Breaking News:

Not exactly breaking and not exactly surprising, and as always with Talkshite - absolutely no source with the story.

Side note: I still think JWP will be here next season. I think he’ll only leave if something was seriously wrong behind the scenes with the board/staff etc.

Best mates with Fraser Forster, who left Southampton, got a pay rise, got to play in the Champions League and got back into the England squad. I don't think he'll be telling Ward-Prowse many negatives regarding leaving the club. While the Beckham record is still within his sights. I just can't see him turning down a move this summer, although I also didn't think he'd sign the new contract a couple of years back.

If he does leave, then fine. A good player, has a top class attribute, which doesn't assist too well with open play. But, like with everyone who leaves this summer we've lost far better players in the past and I think it's time to move on from Ward-Prowse being the main man at the club. We need a reset all over. A new corner taker would be nice for a start.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Talksport Breaking News:

He is leaving. I have no idea if you have sources or it’s just a strong hunch, but either way they’re wrong. I can assure you he’s leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Will not be a disaster if he goes and we can then replace with a player who offers a bit more all round. 

The problem is this won’t happen. There is no evidence to suggest we are capable of finding improvements when selling our best players, let alone in the championship. 
Thankfully we may not need to in the championship, if we get the right manager with a decent budget he can chose a player mix that will deliver his style.

That’s a big if with our recruitment team / board. I’m hoping they are already having conversations with managers willing to jump on board early with the aim of automatic promotion. 

Rest of this season is a write off.

JWP will leave in the summer if we go down without a doubt. 

Although Ralph's 4-2-2-2 system got the best out of a limited squad for a while he failed to evolve it or move it forward. 

And unfortunately I don't think it gets the best out of JWP.  To me his best position is on the right of a 4-3-3 allowing him to get forward and make the killer pass or get the cross in - as well as shoot himself.  Being one of 2 defensive midfielders doesn't really play to his strengths. Although he did a great job alongside Romeu when the team was in its 4-2-2-2 groove.

As for a manager - we need a manager with some proven experience and record of achievement as well as as defined way of playing - but one who shows some flexibility as well.

When we sacked Ralph any one of Dominic Tedesco, Unai Emery or Gallardo (from River Plate) would have been perfect for us.  All have a record of playing 4-2-2-2 and  either evolving that system (Tedesco at RB Leipzig) or playing it with flexibility (Emery & Gallardo).

That ship has sailed unfortunately - but now someone like Potter would be great for us - but they must have a team of proper qualified and experienced coaches around them.  

To be fair to Ralph he did lack the players he needed to move the system forward or even play it properly once Ings was sold and not replaced.  Letting Romeu go without a proper replacement was probably the killer blow.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rebel said:

JWP will leave in the summer if we go down without a doubt. 

Although Ralph's 4-2-2-2 system got the best out of a limited squad for a while he failed to evolve it or move it forward. 

And unfortunately I don't think it gets the best out of JWP.  To me his best position is on the right of a 4-3-3 allowing him to get forward and make the killer pass or get the cross in - as well as shoot himself.  Being one of 2 defensive midfielders doesn't really play to his strengths. Although he did a great job alongside Romeu when the team was in its 4-2-2-2 groove.

As for a manager - we need a manager with some proven experience and record of achievement as well as as defined way of playing - but one who shows some flexibility as well.

When we sacked Ralph any one of Dominic Tedesco, Unai Emery or Gallardo (from River Plate) would have been perfect for us.  All have a record of playing 4-2-2-2 and  either evolving that system (Tedesco at RB Leipzig) or playing it with flexibility (Emery & Gallardo).

That ship has sailed unfortunately - but now someone like Potter would be great for us - but they must have a team of proper qualified and experienced coaches around them.  

To be fair to Ralph he did lack the players he needed to move the system forward or even play it properly once Ings was sold and not replaced.  Letting Romeu go without a proper replacement was probably the killer blow.  

The players have been over coached and now play with a straight jacket on. They have no adaption in their locker at all. They have simply become Robots with no football personality. Two down to Palace in a must win game but they chose to keep playing meaningless square passes across the back. Yes they lack confidence and bravery which is obvious when you are rooted to the bottom of the table but every week it's the same crap being served up and has been since February 2022. Before that we had patches of it but we also had purple patches mixed in but now there is nothing but sheer mind numbing football. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hodgey said:

The problem is this won’t happen. There is no evidence to suggest we are capable of finding improvements when selling our best players, let alone in the championship. 

Spot on. I appreciate there has been criticism of JWP this season, and seasons past mostly because he doesn't take the ball on the half turn and drive into the space. However,  as was the case with Matt Oakley, his tremendous first touch and ability to keep things ticking over is hugely missed when he doesn't play and his qualities are noticeable when he returns. The Grimsby game is testament to that. We were a totally different side when he came off the bench, albeit to no avail.

Our ills are not all down to him and his tremendous freekicks are not the only thing he brings to our game.

I have not issue with him departing - he's earned his place at the premier league table - but finding someone with anywhere near his quality to play CM next season will be challenging to say the least. 

Interest growing in Southampton's Bella Kotchap

89e58b7e-93fd-405e-a21b-d16967d191ae.jpg

Alex Howell

Football reporter at BBC Sport

There are a number of teams across Europe, including sides from the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A who are monitoring Southampton centre back Armel Bella Kotchap. If Saints are relegated from the Premier League this season, it's likely that the interest will increase in the 21-year-old who is also a full international for Germany.

On 16/04/2023 at 18:44, Turkish said:

Right Turkish...

Firstly sign a  6'2"  striker from L1 /  L2 who clocked up 20 goals this season, and won't cost us a fortune...

.........then get a routine tough / very tough CB who can take care  of himself and knows his way around the leagues.  

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Interest growing in Southampton's Bella Kotchap

89e58b7e-93fd-405e-a21b-d16967d191ae.jpg

Alex Howell

Football reporter at BBC Sport

There are a number of teams across Europe, including sides from the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A who are monitoring Southampton centre back Armel Bella Kotchap. If Saints are relegated from the Premier League this season, it's likely that the interest will increase in the 21-year-old who is also a full international for Germany.

If we are talking " Championship"  next season .....let's sell 'em all + sell-on fees... and balance the books and go back to Celtic for their best assets.  

Prowsey, KWP, ABK, Lavia.. they're all talented internationals,  and far too good for the second tier.  They deserve a better class of football.

Whenever .. we get back up to the Prem. (?) ...then go out and find some more young talents. 

Edited by david in sweden

24 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Right Turkish...

Firstly sign a  6'2"  striker from L1 /  L2 who clocked up 20 goals this season, and won't cost us a fortune...

.........then get a routine tough / very tough CB who can take care  of himself and knows his way around the leagues.  

If we are talking " Championship"  next season .....let's sell 'em all + sell-on fees... and balance the books and go back to Celtic for their best assets.  

Prowsey, KWP, ABK, Lavia.. they're all talented internationals,  and far too good for the second tier.  They deserve a better class of football.

Whenever .. we get back up to the Prem. (?) ...then go out and find some more young talents. 

If they were all far too good for the second tier, we wouldn’t be bottom of the league.

25 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

If they were all far too good for the second tier, we wouldn’t be bottom of the league.

In fairness he's only said that about four players and all of them are too good for the second tier.

It takes more than four good players to stay up, and that's why we're bottom.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Happy Monday

9C02AE40-1123-4F3A-9C06-4A1B17AC2BF2.jpeg

good for financials, but the reason our keeper hasn’t been dropped is because we wanted to lower this guys wages ffs. 

For AMN - they obviously think we aren’t as interested otherwise they’d want our money surely instead of releasing him

Edited by SotonianWill