Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

38 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Saints stay up then you carry on collecting your 90k a week.

If relegated the likes of Lavia and JWP will move on and collect 200k plus a week.

Its a no brainer for some players if we get relegated don’t you think?

Lavia will go if we stay up or not.

JWP could have left multiple times over recent summers. The idea that he of all people won't be bothered if we go down because he can get a different contract somewhere else is ridiculous.

Whatever shitty point you're trying to make you could not have picked two worse examples.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

JWP will stick around. I’m just confident of that. As said before I have no prior knowledge or ITK. 

But someone who has stuck with the club all this time, mainly in bad times, and is the leader of the club, I don’t see wanting to exchange it for a spell on the benches of the big six.

He’ll only go if a Man City or Man Utd moved for him. He won’t go to Spurs. 🤣

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think we all know deep down, Lavia is off regardless

I hope for the sake of his career and progression, he does not go to Chelsea

Shame we are so shit. If we were comfortably mid table or pushing top 10 , I could maybe see him staying to further his game development. Really don't see the point of him going to City/Chelsea just to sit on the bench, and get the odd cup game. 

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Lavia is far too good for us.

He certainly is.

Highlights the good and bad/sad about the #Pathway model. Brilliant to have a player as good as him play for Saints; a bit gutting that it's a short term thing.

• Like 1

Im not entirely sure why everyone believes we’ll have a mass exodus, whether enforced or otherwise.. I do believe SR’s words that we’re on a sound financial footing… so Id only imagine we’d lose those that it makes no financial sense to keep

KWP/Salisu will likely be off due to their contractual situations, we have Bree/Tino and a multitude of CBs as replacements there anyway - 40-50m

Lavia just won’t stay regardless of it we stay up or not, good DMs are a premium and he has basically everything in his armoury and will be younger/cheaper than Rice… another 40-50m (we’ll likely need to replace him)

Smallbone/Tella - I think we’ll probably see these leave, I imagine Smallbone because I don’t see how he fits our tactics, fee will be negligible.. Tella will probably want to remain at Burnley and a fee of around 20m probably fits

Outside of that we’ll probably try to recoup some fee for Orsic, may look to sell/loan Onoachu (carillo MkII basically (more ability admittedly) and potentially offload DCC if he is causing trouble… then its a coin flip whether we can find suiters for AA/Djenepo - Might make 10m-20m from that

Outside of that Id say the squad looks in decent nick for a Championship charge, we probably still need to sign a striker and a DM, maybe a CB

The importance of course is effective recruitment, of which we’ve made a pretty poor hash of overall under the SR banner

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im not entirely sure why everyone believes we’ll have a mass exodus, whether enforced or otherwise.. I do believe SR’s words that we’re on a sound financial footing… so Id only imagine we’d lose those that it makes no financial sense to keep

KWP/Salisu will likely be off due to their contractual situations, we have Bree/Tino and a multitude of CBs as replacements there anyway - 40-50m

Lavia just won’t stay regardless of it we stay up or not, good DMs are a premium and he has basically everything in his armoury and will be younger/cheaper than Rice… another 40-50m (we’ll likely need to replace him)

Smallbone/Tella - I think we’ll probably see these leave, I imagine Smallbone because I don’t see how he fits our tactics, fee will be negligible.. Tella will probably want to remain at Burnley and a fee of around 20m probably fits

Outside of that we’ll probably try to recoup some fee for Orsic, may look to sell/loan Onoachu (carillo MkII basically (more ability admittedly) and potentially offload DCC if he is causing trouble… then its a coin flip whether we can find suiters for AA/Djenepo - Might make 10m-20m from that

Outside of that Id say the squad looks in decent nick for a Championship charge, we probably still need to sign a striker and a DM, maybe a CB

The importance of course is effective recruitment, of which we’ve made a pretty poor hash of overall under the SR banner

So you think we'll keep ABK, Alcaraz and Sulemana if relegated ?    Hope you're right, but I'd be surprised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

So you think we'll keep ABK, Alcaraz and Sulemana if relegated ?    Hope you're right, but I'd be surprised.

I don’t see why we’d ‘need’ to sell outside of any large incoming bids

If they down tools thats a different conversation but they’re on decently long contracts and again we’re under, as far as Im aware, no real financial pressures to sell so I don’t see why we couldn’t for atleast a year

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

You have listed about ten players that in your opinion might leave in the summer. Doesn't that rather contradict your opening remarks?

9 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

If they down tools thats a different conversation but they’re on decently long contracts and again we’re under, as far as Im aware, no real financial pressures to sell so I don’t see why we couldn’t for atleast a year

You’ve potentially answered your own question.

Not that young players, and continental or South American imports have any tendency for a strop and sulk of course. 

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

There’s three or four from Coventry I’d take in a heartbeat.

Probably best we start scouting League 1 and the Championship now.

Not being funny, but if you were at Coventry and we ended up getting relegated, would your first thought be I'd love to sign for Southampton? Couple of those Coventry lads will be of interest to the lower half of the Premier League 

On 26/03/2023 at 11:20, Charlie Wayman said:

Not sure a relegation on his CV makes him that special.

What's our relegation got to do with his Individual talent? Good players can be in shit teams.

Roy Keane, Joe  Cole, Michael Carrick Jemaine Defoe, Peter Crouch, James Milner, Andy Roberson...all had relegation on their CVs. 

Will be an important window that could dictate are relevance/irrelevance for the next decade. Realistically we need a lot, as this current batch would be relegation contenders (as has been shown against Blackpool/Sheffield Wednesday/Grimsby - all unconvincing) and a lot of unknowns (how will Tino be after a nasty injury?). This is the state I think we'll be in:

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy, Lis 

RB - Tino, Bree 

CB - Stephens

LB - Perraud, Larios

CDM - 

CM - Alcaraz, Smallbone

CAM - Aribo                                                                                                                      

LW/RW - Sulemana, Edozie, Djenepo

ST - Onuachu, Armstrong, Mara

Definitely going: Moi, Walcott, Caballero, AMN

Off on the cheap (contracts): Salisu, Adams (want to keep, but £10-15 mill and a refusal to sign a new deal means he'll go). Could add Smallbone and Stephens but think we'll offer them new deals and more likely to stay.

Most likely off with the right bid (all better than 2nd division and will attract attention from top divisions across Europe): JWP, KWP, Lavia, Bednarek, Tella, ABK

Off if anyone will take them: Diallo, Lyanco, DCC, Orsic

Leaves us with 16 if that happens so at least another 6 needed - either new players or youth team step ups. Just hope our board don't roll over in negotiations as they did with with Romeu - club needs always before keeping good relationships with players. 

• Confused 1

On 27/03/2023 at 10:58, Smirking_Saint said:

Clubs that have been in the Prem for a decade that get relegated (like us) have unsustainable wage bills. Over the next two years, we will need to offload pretty much everyone.

35 minutes ago, Saints-1994 said:

Will be an important window that could dictate are relevance/irrelevance for the next decade. Realistically we need a lot, as this current batch would be relegation contenders (as has been shown against Blackpool/Sheffield Wednesday/Grimsby - all unconvincing) and a lot of unknowns (how will Tino be after a nasty injury?). This is the state I think we'll be in:

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy, Lis 

RB - Tino, Bree 

CB - Stephens

LB - Perraud, Larios

CDM - 

CM - Alcaraz, Smallbone

CAM - Aribo                                                                                                                      

LW/RW - Sulemana, Edozie, Djenepo

ST - Onuachu, Armstrong, Mara

Definitely going: Moi, Walcott, Caballero, AMN

Off on the cheap (contracts): Salisu, Adams (want to keep, but £10-15 mill and a refusal to sign a new deal means he'll go). Could add Smallbone and Stephens but think we'll offer them new deals and more likely to stay.

Most likely off with the right bid (all better than 2nd division and will attract attention from top divisions across Europe): JWP, KWP, Lavia, Bednarek, Tella, ABK

Off if anyone will take them: Diallo, Lyanco, DCC, Orsic

Leaves us with 16 if that happens so at least another 6 needed - either new players or youth team step ups. Just hope our board don't roll over in negotiations as they did with with Romeu - club needs always before keeping good relationships with players. 

we will be desperate to lose McCarthy from the wage bill. As with many, it will easier said than done.

I think it will be more a question of who will  stay after we go down - not who will leave.

Walcott, Elyounoussi and Caballero are all out of contract and should leave whatever happens.

Maitland-Niles loan will be at an end so he should go as well.  

The 'star players' will hopefully got for big money if we go down as we are going to need the cash  - JWP, Lavia and KWP.  You could possibly include ABK in this list given he's a German international.

Che and Salisu have a year left on their contracts so they will be leaving this summer whether we stay up or go down - hopefully we'll get a decent fee for Salisu as he seems to be a wanted man.  

Then there are the players like Bednarek, Lyanco, Caleta-Car, Orsic, Mara, Ounachu, Sulemana, Alcaraz who won't want to play in the Championship - and will probably have relegation clauses in their contracts cutting their wages (meaning they wont be priced out of moves away this summer in the case of Lyanco and Bednarek) or allowing them to leave on low fees.  

Then there are players like Djneppo and Diallo (has a year left anyway) who are probably not good enough anyway and will probably accept a move back to French football if their wages get cut.  Maybe they will even push for it.

Stuart Armstrong will only have a year left - and he seems to be past his best for whatever reason - and I can see him semi-retiring back to Scotland if his wages get cut for a longer contract on less money somewhere like Hibs or Hearts.

Stephens will stay at B'mth if they stay up and we go down.

So who stays?  Perraud, Adam Armstrong, Livramento, McCarthy, Bree, Bazunu, Edozie, Lis, Larios? (McCarthy s rumoured to want out and Perraud will probably want to go back to the French League).

Chauke, Simeu, Watts, Smallbone, Tella, N'Lundulu, Vokins will all be back from loans I guess (although I am sure Tella will be pushing to leave for Burnley)

But if you ask me we are going to need a complete rebuild - but with proven Championship players - not youthful potential - and that's just to keep our heads above water in the Championship.

I hope we keep hold of players like Mara, Alcaraz and Sulemana but I am not sure I can see it.

• Like 1

Just looking at the Burnley side from Friday to get an idea about their retention/turnover of players. 12 out of the 18 are new players.

Muric (summer signing)
Roberts, Harwood-Bellis (loan), Beyer (loan), Maatsen (loan)
Cullen (summer signing), Brownhill
Manuel (summer signing), Tella (loan), Zaroury (summer signing)
Barnes

Subs: Cork, Gudmundsson, Twine (summer signing), Peacock-Farrell, Ekdal (summer signing), da Silva (summer signing), Obafemi (loan)

45 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Stuart Armstrong will only have a year left - and he seems to be past his best for whatever reason - and I can see him semi-retiring back to Scotland if his wages get cut for a longer contract on less money somewhere like Hibs or Hearts.

He'll be on £60k a week here.

Not sure Hearts can afford £6k a week. So even if his wages are being cut by 50% on relegation, he'd have to play for five years at their place to make the same money as he would in his final year of his contract at Saints.  

Hibs top earner was on about £5k a week until they gave Chris Mueller £10k a week.  He's been a disaster and they wont be paying that kind of wage again, I suspect. So, another five years of work to equate one at our place.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Probably best we start scouting League 1 and the Championship now.

In League 1, Peterborough's Jonson Clarke-Harris is the leading scorer with 22 (whoever is their scout seems to do a good job finding strikers (maybe sign him!)

Then its:
Colby Bishop from the skates - 19
Conor Chaplin (ex-skate) at Ipswich - 17
David McGoldrick at Derby - 16

1 hour ago, Chez said:

In League 1, Peterborough's Jonson Clarke-Harris is the leading scorer with 22 (whoever is their scout seems to do a good job finding strikers (maybe sign him!)

Then its:

Adam Randell from Plymouth is excellent, as is Bali Mumba (loan) and their manager...

14 hours ago, Chez said:

He'll be on £60k a week here.

Not sure Hearts can afford £6k a week. So even if his wages are being cut by 50% on relegation, he'd have to play for five years at their place to make the same money as he would in his final year of his contract at Saints.  

Hibs top earner was on about £5k a week until they gave Chris Mueller £10k a week.  He's been a disaster and they wont be paying that kind of wage again, I suspect. So, another five years of work to equate one at our place.

Interesting. Puts everything into context really. Players actually wanting to stay to see out their contracts will be a new experience for Saints. 

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Then its:

Peterborough have a knack of finding and then developing decent strikers, so I wouldn't be too against having a sniff around him. Mackail-Smith/McLean/Tony are 3 which stick out from recentish years.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Mealings said:

Everyone I've spoken to is convinced we are gonna lose Lavia this summer. I wrote about why I'm not so sure - there's not a clear business case or a contractual obligation, so I don't think it's a done deal. If you have five minutes..

https://cmealings.substack.com/p/why-we-just-might-keep-lavia-this

He is gone.  That is without factoring financial necessity 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Charlie Mealings said:

Everyone I've spoken to is convinced we are gonna lose Lavia this summer. I wrote about why I'm not so sure - there's not a clear business case or a contractual obligation, so I don't think it's a done deal. If you have five minutes..

https://cmealings.substack.com/p/why-we-just-might-keep-lavia-this

He doesn't need a release clause to leave. We will get an offer and he will say he wants to play in the Premier League in a season with Euro 24 at the end of it.

Potentially Man City buying him back and loaning him to Palace or something.

I'm relaxed about it. Very possible for us to lose: 

Adams 

JWP 

Lavia 

ABK

KWP 

Alcaraz 

Sulemana 

Tella 

If we can keep even three of them that would be decent for the championship. If we don't it should bring a decent amount of cash to make up for some of the loss of revenue and give us a warchest for a promotion push. 

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Lavia is more likely to leave than JWP.

And I still don’t think JWP will leave.

He will. He would be mad not to, especially in a tournament year. Probably also faces a relegation pay cut.

I doubt he has thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of seasons and he isn't that young anymore to waste a season.

Assuming he doesn't do it before the end of this season, the Beckham record alone will motivate him to stay in the PL.

Edited by Dusic

On 26/03/2023 at 09:08, AlexLaw76 said:

I think we all know deep down, Lavia is off regardless

I hope for the sake of his career and progression, he does not go to Chelsea

I could see a situation where Phillips leaves and City get Lavia in to replace him.. which, would possibly prove to be the worst bit of business in the history of football…?

Lavia goes regardless, he’s way to good for us. An absolutely superstar in the making. 

City have a £40m buy back clause next summer, which should mean he goes for nothing less than £50m. 

That sort of money, along with parachute payments and other sell offs (Salisu, KWP, JWP..?) would give us a massive financial advantage over 99% of the league. 

Edited by Dman

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

He will. He would be mad not to, especially in a tournament year. Probably also faces a relegation pay cut.

I doubt he has thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of seasons and he isn't that young anymore to waste a season.

Assuming he doesn't do it before the end of this season, the Beckham record alone will motivate him to stay in the PL.

I just doubt he will.

Bench warm a bigger club for the odd cameo or continue to be the leader and poster boy for the club? 

He comes across as smart enough to realise that.

Part of me thinks he’s less bothered by England. He didn’t get in on merit when he should have on a number of occasions. He shouldn’t have to bench warm at a top six team to bench warm the England bench.

I really don’t think he’ll go.

I’m sure they’ll be clauses within his contract but I don’t see him leaving easily, if at all. I said the same last summer.

Once again, for DT primarily, I have no prior ITK and have never claimed to be. 👍🏻

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
Bottom bit.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

That sort of money, along with parachute payments and other sell offs (Salisu, KWP, JWP..?) would give us a massive financial advantage over 99% of the league. 

More money for Sports Republic to squander.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2023 at 10:58, Smirking_Saint said:

Anyone that thinks there are no financial pressures this summer is deluding themself. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It will sound daft after the nightmare we have had this season, but getting talented youngsters on loan from the top Prem sides often pays dividends. Burnley have benefited this season from several loans from Man City for example. 

I'd like any new manager coming in from abroad, should that be the case, to be bringing some gems with him, be them youngsters or senior players. Again Burnley have benefitted from the Belgium talent that Kompany brought with him

I think buying some more south Americans, especially from Argentina where there is no money, makes sense. There seems to be plenty of young talent. Whether a Championship club can attract them, I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, Chez said:

It will sound daft after the nightmare we have had this season, but getting talented youngsters on loan from the top Prem sides often pays dividends. Burnley have benefited this season from several loans from Man City for example. 

I'd like any new manager coming in from abroad, should that be the case, to be bringing some gems with him, be them youngsters or senior players. Again Burnley have benefitted from the Belgium talent that Kompany brought with him

I think buying some more south Americans, especially from Argentina where there is no money, makes sense. There seems to be plenty of young talent. Whether a Championship club can attract them, I'm not sure.

I think our priority has to be experience, we can add talented kids after that.

• Like 2