Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

10 minutes ago, Baz Fl said:

He wasn't when Brentford were in the Championship. Strong, fast, physical and an eye for goal he had all that long before the England call up. Our current strike force misses almost all of these attributes. Broja was the closest player we had to this in recent times, type of player that could create and finish single handed. 

It was said in jest, but yes, if we can find someone who will go on to be an international striker then we’d have done very well. Unlikely though, it has to be said. 

On the subject of Broja, is it out of the question? Coming back from a bad injury, no doubt will need games? Far too good for the championship, would probably be starting for Chelsea now had it not been for the injury, but who knows how he’ll recover… championship would provide a lower pressure environment 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yes, people were worried Liverpool were going to poach him, that he could be our Alex Ferguson and he was described as the next great English manager

Yep that was true as well, people were convinced our League one side would beat England if they played each other. 

By that logic Nigel Adkins should have led an England team of League 1 Saints to winning the world cup, yet another avoidable cock up by the FA and Nicola Cortese! 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Chez said:

It's kind of shame we haven't got a manager in place (that we intend to go forward with) that can assess players over the next month. When Newcastle went down and got immediate promotion, Benitez took over in mid-March, so had some time to see what the squad is all about.

Another example being Kompany, who was named Burnley manager on 14th June, three weeks after the season was completed. 

On a separate topic, I think we all know that Liam Delap will be our priority striker target again this summer after two pretty awful loans at Stoke and Preston. See if Wilcox has a fascination with Manchester City youth players like Shields did.

Full disclosure on Kompany.  I've followed him for the last few years and said on here in the summer when he joined Burnley i thought he would be dog shit.

Please do not listen to my comments or views on managers, i know less that i do about footballers.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Another example being Kompany, who was named Burnley manager on 14th June, three weeks after the season was completed. 

On a separate topic, I think we all know that Liam Delap will be our priority striker target again this summer after two pretty awful loans at Stoke and Preston. See if Wilcox has a fascination with Manchester City youth players like Shields did.

Lucky we didn’t waste circa £18M on a striker that doesn’t score wasn’t it!!

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

It wouldn't be fair to write off someone so young based on their first season of first team football so if Wilcox, someone who has worked closely with him and been close to his development, feels he would be a good signing then I don't see the issue. Remember City refused to sell him permanently last season because they rate him highly. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

How many loan slots do Championship clubs get? Could be a crucial market for us to exploit in the summer 

Given the number of young players we already have in 1st team squad, the bloated nature our squad we need to dispose of and the talent in the B team i'd be wary of too many loans. What we need is experienced players to help turn the culture round(last time round we had the likes of Fonte, Hammond and Rickie.)

• Like 1

Our recruitment needs to be spot on this summer, especially attacking wise. While you would expect the likes of Adams, Mara, Onuachu and Alcaraz (if they stay) to chip in with goals in the championship, we desperately need a creative spark. Zaroury at Burnley and McAtee at Sheff Utd (we were linked with him) are perfect examples of such players recruited for next to nothing (or on loan).

Recruitment under SR has had it ups and downs, and its still hard to judge some of the January signings coming into a basket case of a club and working under Jones/Selles. One things for sure, we'll definitely sign some kid from City, likely on loan 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yes, people were worried Liverpool were going to poach him, that he could be our Alex Ferguson and he was described as the next great English manager

Yep that was true as well, people were convinced our League one side would beat England if they played each other. 

Yep I remember that. I do think our League 1 side would beat our current (not for much longer) prem side though

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baz Fl said:

He wasn't when Brentford were in the Championship. Strong, fast, physical and a eye for goal he had all that long before the England call up. Our current strike force misses almost all of these attributes. Broja was the closest player we had to this in recent times, type of player that could create and finish single handed. 

Ricky Lambert wasn’t when we were in League 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Given the number of young players we already have in 1st team squad, the bloated nature our squad we need to dispose of and the talent in the B team i'd be wary of too many loans. What we need is experienced players to help turn the culture round(last time round we had the likes of Fonte, Hammond and Rickie.)

Agreed. But loan players don't necessarily need to be youngsters. See Walcott and Minamino for that.

Calling bullshit in terms of the reporting.

Anything from Talksport is to be taken with a pinch of salt, and anything from Alex Crook is to be disregarded until proven otherwise.

Similar to The Athletic in terms of the “no shit Sherlock” headline.

Anyone could’ve predicted they’d be a mass overhaul for fuck sake. 🤣

3 hours ago, goodymatt said:

another nice little loss, signed for £6m, £80k a week and sold for £3m. Someone tell Rasmus his excel formulas have got a bug.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

7 minutes of premier league football wasn't it?

He has increased the standard and level of competition in training which has pushed on the likes of Elyounoussi and Adam Armstrong to new heights.

Fair play to them for keeping him out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Could see theo getting a 1year extension for the championship, albeit on reduced wages. He would do a job for us at that level compared to most of our attackers - that much is clear - and he is ultimately an experienced player with a love of the club and a positive role model for younger players. He has however said that he wants to step back from the playing side of the game, so can certainly see him not being at saints next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

another nice little lose, signed for £6m, £80k a week and sold for £3m. Someone tell Rasmus his excel formulas have got a bug.

I'm pretty sure you're not able to see all the work that goes in behind the scenes and on the training ground.

This could be very good value for money for all we know...

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I'm pretty sure you're not able to see all the work that goes in behind the scenes and on the training ground.

This could be very good value for money for all we know...

It’s a crying shame we didn’t get to see just how good Orsic was without the ball in the first team. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Badger said:

It’s a crying shame we didn’t get to see just how good Orsic was without the ball in the first team. 

I imagine there will be volumes of statistics and metrics released once he moves on which will justify the wages - just as soon as the NDA has expired.

We'll miss him when he's gone. Always the way.

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Calling bullshit in terms of the reporting.

Anything from Talksport is to be taken with a pinch of salt, and anything from Alex Crook is to be disregarded until proven otherwise.

Similar to The Athletic in terms of the “no shit Sherlock” headline.

Anyone could’ve predicted they’d be a mass overhaul for fuck sake. 🤣

It's worth noting that Selles was interviewed on Talksport this lunchtime, and no doubt the club's media team will have been involved in setting that up. I wonder then, if one or two other items were discussed (offline) during that process, that has subsequently led to these news reports coming out today? The Orsic item certainly reads like a club fed item to me, helping to drum up interest in him no doubt. 

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Could see theo getting a 1year extension for the championship, albeit on reduced wages. He would do a job for us at that level compared to most of our attackers - that much is clear - and he is ultimately an experienced player with a love of the club and a positive role model for younger players. He has however said that he wants to step back from the playing side of the game, so can certainly see him not being at saints next year.

Hope not, Tella can come in and take his spot as will do a job for us now.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

It's worth noting that Selles was interviewed on Talksport this lunchtime, and no doubt the club's media team will have been involved in setting that up. I wonder then, if one or two other items were discussed (offline) during that process, that has subsequently led to these news reports coming out today? The Orsic item certainly reads like a club fed item to me, helping to drum up interest in him no doubt. 

Wouldn't it be better to drum up interest in him by putting him on the pitch and showing what he can do?

40 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Wouldn't it be better to drum up interest in him by putting him on the pitch and showing what he can do?

After seeing what he could in his previous games, which was the square route of fuck all, maybe keeping him off the pitch is prudent.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What a strange post. The turkish fella is current on loan at Fenerbahce but only played 4 times. Im not sure who would want Bazunu either. 

Yet again, perhaps, our scouts and Rasmus see something in him that no one else can.

Emperors clothes and all that. If only someone dare tell Rasmus … “don’t be a cunt” 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Or perhaps this Irfan chap goes to Goztepe. They are the bigger club after all 

Just read he’s from Goztpe. So perhaps we take some of their cast offs.

Edited by Badger

24 minutes ago, Badger said:

Or perhaps this Irfan chap goes to Goztepe. They are the bigger club after all 

Just read he’s from Goztpe. So perhaps we take some of their cast offs.

He must be a very front-footed goalie for this to be a serious thing!

22 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Our recruitment needs to be spot on this summer, especially attacking wise. While you would expect the likes of Adams, Mara, Onuachu and Alcaraz (if they stay) to chip in with goals in the championship, we desperately need a creative spark. Zaroury at Burnley and McAtee at Sheff Utd (we were linked with him) are perfect examples of such players recruited for next to nothing (or on loan).

Recruitment under SR has had it ups and downs, and its still hard to judge some of the January signings coming into a basket case of a club and working under Jones/Selles. One things for sure, we'll definitely sign some kid from City, likely on loan 😂

What about Ballard! This guy needs to be given games in the first team or truly what is the point in the academy set up… 

• Like 4

Depending on whether we need a CB in the summer (is it beyond the realms of possibility that we'll still have DCC, Lyanco, Stephens, Bednarek and Simeu even if ABK and Salisu go? DCC is the one I want to stay but maybe that's wishful thinking...) but I've been catching up on players in the Championship this season and a lot of people are rating Auston Trusty, a tall 24 year old American CB from Arsenal who has been on loan at Birmingham. Seems to be consistent and reliable and is a good age too. Depends if Arsenal want to keep him I guess.

We should be one of the big fish in the Championship next season (over to you Sports Republic) so it would be nice to attract some of the bigger names that the Championship has to offer. Though I think someone like Gyorkeres is headed for the top flight, there must be a few gems we could pilfer.

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Depending on whether we need a CB in the summer (is it beyond the realms of possibility that we'll still have DCC, Lyanco, Stephens, Bednarek and Simeu even if ABK and Salisu go? DCC is the one I want to stay but maybe that's wishful thinking...) but I've been catching up on players in the Championship this season and a lot of people are rating Auston Trusty, a tall 24 year old American CB from Arsenal who has been on loan at Birmingham. Seems to be consistent and reliable and is a good age too. Depends if Arsenal want to keep him I guess.

We should be one of the big fish in the Championship next season (over to you Sports Republic) so it would be nice to attract some of the bigger names that the Championship has to offer. Though I think someone like Gyorkeres is headed for the top flight, there must be a few gems we could pilfer.

The lad from Swansea, Piroe? He seems to know where the net is at Championship level. You would think we would be a more attractive proposition if we had an interest.

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

The lad from Swansea, Piroe? He seems to know where the net is at Championship level. You would think we would be a more attractive proposition if we had an interest.

19 goals this season, not Haaland levels of prolific but he is playing in an average Swansea side. at 23 though he does seem to be a prospect that could improve further. He's out of contract in 2024 so Swansea may cash in. Apparently Obafemi has been told he's unfit by Burnley staff but I believe he is still set to move there permanently so that leaves Swansea looking for a new striker if Piroe does leave.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Supposing a miracle happened and we stayed up - what would SR do?

Seriously this is so disappointing, publicly putting out that we are waiting for relegation. Whatever must Ruben and the players think - nothing to play for and Ruben knowing that his contract is not being renewed. This is the lowest point in my time as a Saints fan - ever lower than when we went into Admin. 

Edited by Pengi
added
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, captainchris said:

What about Ballard! This guy needs to be given games in the first team or truly what is the point in the academy set up… 

He’s just turned 18, he’ll be given games if and when he’s ready for it. There’s no point just chucking him in for the sake of it.

Couple of thoughts.

Admire the call for more youngsters to get into the team, however putting youngsters into the team before they were ready was how we got here in the first place.  We need to be careful and play them more as subs etc.

Talking of youngsters I would like to Simeu given a shirt number in the squad.  Played well over the last 2 seasons in loans to L2 and L1, seems like a leader as well, would have in the squad for sure and would be used to the big forward man type football we can sometimes expect.

12 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Once again, The Athletic writing articles stating the bleeding obvious… 🙄 

You mean… ‘player you think is leaving is probably leaving unless of course he doesn’t’ isn’t ground breaking journalism? 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

80k a week and contributing f all

Tosh as usual. He's been our best player in recent matches. Not saying much I know but at least he's had a good go at trying to keep us afloat. Surprised he hasn't been offered a coaching role with the youngsters as he has a very good attitude towards young players