Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Adams staying?

& on the bench?

If nobody buys him then we are stuck with him.

it’s okay making Adams your number 1 next season but if we got promoted then he’s going to struggle to score in the top league AGAIN.

He too slow and has a brain fart in front of goal too often.

11 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Exactly this. We need players who know how to get out of this league. And we desperately need leaders in that dressing room.

We’ve got plenty of players to get out of this league - that’s why we are bottom! 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

If nobody buys him then we are stuck with him.

it’s okay making Adams your number 1 next season but if we got promoted then he’s going to struggle to score in the top league AGAIN.

He too slow and has a brain fart in front of goal too often.

Yes, but if we got promoted with him, we’d buy someone else to complement him. He’d be a big loss if we were to lose him, (which I’m fully expecting to happen), but wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Why are we buying Ashley Barnes? He's out of contract. 

Matthew LeGod mode deactivated 

BE WARNED .... Hopefully, he won't be involved in any sort of shady, part-exchange deal involving  Nathan Tella !!!!        

No-one at the club can remember, but some of we geriatrics recall record deals like selling Martin Chivers to Spurs (1967), and getting Frank Saul ....(ouch)

and a later deal that took Alan Shearer to Blackburn (1992) ... and we blew most of the money on the ill-named David Speedie, and Kerry Dixon and ended up with

the sh*tty end of the stick both times.   Dixon and Speedie managed 20-odd games between them... then disappeared and we were fighting relegation all season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

BE WARNED .... Hopefully, he won't be involved in any sort of shady, part-exchange deal involving  Nathan Tella !!!!        

No-one at the club can remember, but some of we geriatrics recall record deals like selling Martin Chivers to Spurs (1967), and getting Frank Saul ....(ouch)

and a later deal that took Alan Shearer to Blackburn (1992) ... and we blew most of the money on the ill-named David Speedie, and Kerry Dixon and ended up with

the sh*tty end of the stick both times.   Dixon and Speedie managed 20-odd games between them... then disappeared and we were fighting relegation all season.

if Barnes is out of contract, how can he become part of a part-exchange deal?

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

if Barnes is out of contract, how can he become part of a part-exchange deal?

IF ... Burnley are stuck with one of these " loyalty clauses " that players get ?.. they may be " in debt "  to him for his years of service 

and some clever book-keeping might balance out any eventual signing-on fee ....or, who knows what?

The " big money clubs " and player's agents ... have taught us a lot about how to handle such deals.    I don't believe in coincidence. 

IF ....Tella moves to Burnley.... and we end up with Barnes.....no-one will ever convince me that there is no connection.  

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Surely, no one thinks he will be at saints next season?

Madness that we got rid of Romeu and kept Diallo when it was clear Lavia was leaving at the end of this season regardless. Now even more frustrating as Romeu would have been perfect CDM to hold onto for Championship. 

nice - 3 clubs competing will be more dollar dollar bills coming our way.

I could make an argument that city  could also say we will give you the 2024 buy back clause now (wave the sell on/discount fee) so its the full 40m and then loan him to us in the championship before they get rid of phillips etc next summer.

I might be more optimistic cos its friday and saturdays depression has happened yet but lots of money is coming into this re-build.

2 minutes ago, Mallagroth said:

Madness that we got rid of Romeu and kept Diallo when it was clear Lavia was leaving at the end of this season regardless. Now even more frustrating as Romeu would have been perfect CDM to hold onto for Championship. 

Romeu begged to go when we were in the Prem, he got a return to Catalonia and he’s currently sat in 7th place in La Liga with Girona in their first season in the top league. They could yet qualify for Europe, and Romeu has been a big part of that. Literally no chance on earth he’d be with us in the Championship.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

nice - 3 clubs competing will be more dollar dollar bills coming our way.

I could make an argument that city  could also say we will give you the 2024 buy back clause now (wave the sell on/discount fee) so its the full 40m and then loan him to us in the championship before they get rid of phillips etc next summer.

I might be more optimistic cos its friday and saturdays depression has happened yet but lots of money is coming into this re-build.

You're looking at £70m minimum just for Lavia and JWP + parachute payments and other sales.....no excuse to really not have a damn good go at coming straight back up netx season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mallagroth said:

MLG would rip that post to pieces.

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Saw something somewhere on here mentioning liam delap - judging by his performance this season in the championship he has southampton striker written all over him.

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 11.34.26.png

Haven’t Parrot and Delap been picked with Edozie for England u20s wc squad 

17 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Saw something somewhere on here mentioning liam delap - judging by his performance this season in the championship he has southampton striker written all over him.

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 11.34.26.png

To be fair, that looks like one of Ankerson's spreadsheets.

Wouldn't be surprised if we're tracking all of them!

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

If he's leaving us, let the bidding war commence...

Hopefully we do have a bidding war, F man city. Additionally hope it’s over quick so Lavia, and any other good prem players who wish to leave are quick out the door so that the new manager can decipher his new squad. Pre season is going to be very important. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mallagroth said:

He was out of contract this summer so no way he'd be staying for the Champo

• Like 2

On 08/05/2023 at 15:13, david in sweden said:

Not sure the Speedie bit is correct, if I remember correctly it was 3.6 million + Speedie (values at around 400k) which made it a 4 million transfer. Dixon then joined for pittance but the rest is correct they were shocking .... Speedie just never wanted to be here .. thankgod for Paul Moody 🤣

50 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

You're looking at £70m minimum just for Lavia and JWP + parachute payments and other sales.....no excuse to really not have a damn good go at coming straight back up netx season.

The issue though is that clubs, who know we may have a bit of cash, will play hardball with us.

Hopefully we bring enough players in early doors before we sell anyone.

5 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

The issue though is that clubs, who know we may have a bit of cash, will play hardball with us.

The main value for championship clubs I have found has been getting in some older pros or experienced heads on decent wages. We really should be looking at some of those players from the two promoted clubs already (I'm not saying we need him but I note that Ashley Barnes is looking like he's joining Norwich.) Having money gives us options and what I want more than anything is someone with a coherent plan that combines canny free transfers or lower value signings with a couple of big money buys and a sprinkling of youth and experience. Money isn't the issue, it's the plan.

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Alex Crook speaks....although, obvious really.  Again, there are some out there who think he will be playing at Saints next year. Madness

He may or may not be playing for us next year. Just because they want him, doesnt mean he'll go.  If they offer us the amount of money we want and he wants to go, then he will go. If they don't offer the money we want, and we're not desperate for it (we have no idea), and we want to keep him, then he will stay at Saints.

It's not "madness". It's just business.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

He may or may not be playing for us next year. Just because they want him, doesnt mean he'll go.  If they offer us the amount of money we want and he wants to go, then he will go. If they don't offer the money we want, and we're not desperate for it (we have no idea), and we want to keep him, then he will stay at Saints.

It's not "madness". It's just business.

I think it is fair to assume he will want out.  Unsure if we usually stand in someone's way who wants out, more so when we will clearly need to 're-adjust' financially.

Unless saints, after relegation, decide to stop players from being sold.....

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think it is fair to assume he will want out.  Unsure if we usually stand in someone's way who wants out, more so when we will clearly need to 're-adjust' financially.

Well all we "know" is that SR have said they'll back us next year. We also know that a big bunch of players will be leaving this summer, probably including Lavia (£50m?), JWP (£50m?), Adams (£20m), KWP (£20m), ABK (£20m), Salisu (£25m), plus probably likes of Orsic, DCC, Lyanco, Diallo, Onuachu, (possibly another £25m)?

We shouldn't be in a position where we need to rely on the money from Tella. Thats somewhere along the lines of £200m income from transfer sales. Even if it's £150m we still shouldn't need to sell Tella if we don't want him to go and he's not pushing it. He's got a contract until Summer 2025 so maybe it will depend on whether he has any interest signing a new one. He does have a sales price though.

27 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Alex Crook speaks....although, obvious really.  Again, there are some out there who think he will be playing at Saints next year. Madness

Feel like we could have Burnley’s pants down here, if I’m honest. 

• Like 2

Tella will clearly end up going and we will be well compensated.

That said, if we lose him and Adams then we will also be in a position where we have barely anyone with any EFL experience (Baz, Bree, Armstrong and Smallbone the only ones I can think of).

Its a different style and is relentless with lots of midweek games. Tella has adapted to that and Adams is generally a robust player and would score a lot of goals next season.

Someone like Stu Armstrong won't be much use as won't start enough games.

We will clearly lose our better players and probably some of the hangers on.

The key, as ever, is going to be our recruitment as we will be bring in at least 10 players again.

Edited by Dusic

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Not sure the Speedie bit is correct, if I remember correctly it was 3.6 million + Speedie (values at around 400k) which made it a 4 million transfer. Dixon then joined for pittance but the rest is correct they were shocking .... Speedie just never wanted to be here .. thankgod for Paul Moody 🤣

As I recall, Branfoot was absolutely insistent that we get Speedie as part of the deal, even though the player had no wish to join Saints - which became very clear on the pitch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Why? He s a good player.

Not especially. He will be for sure (or at least has the potential to be) but right now he’s nothing special, injury prone and probably not the sort of player we’ll need for a season of 50+ games in the championship.

In an ideal world I’d quite like to keep him but ideally I wouldn’t be watching us get relegated tomorrow either. This would appear a reasonable deal for all parties IMHO

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No real surprise - 

Fee seems a bit low as he's shown his quality and he's in the Germany squad.

That said, a lower fee but a healthy sell on could make a lot of sense, if he fullfills his potentially he could see for big money one day.

44 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Tella will clearly end up going and we will be well compensated.

That said, if we lose him and Adams then we will also be in a position where we have barely anyone with any EFL experience (Baz, Bree, Armstrong and Smallbone the only ones I can think of).

Its a different style and is relentless with lots of midweek games. Tella has adapted to that and Adams is generally a robust player and would score a lot of goals next season.

Someone like Stu Armstrong won't be much use as won't start enough games.

We will clearly lose our better players and probably some of the hangers on.

The key, as ever, is going to be our recruitment as we will be bring in at least 10 players again.

48 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I quite like Tella and was looking forward to seeing him again but if Burnley offer anything around the 20M mark then it's probably a good deal for everyone.

20M for a young goalscorer? 40mill at least, he will be a hit next season and his value will rocket. His  manager knows how to use him. That never happened here

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Surely, no one thinks he will be at saints next season?

I don't think they do. However, I guess the only circumstance that he does stay would be if the other Prem clubs all offered us peanuts for him.

No one came up with the monies to prise Berge from Sheff United and there obviously was no (low figure) escape clause. Not sure if Lavia has one in his contract - he might - or what value that might be, but if not, we do hold some cards. 

34 minutes ago, Dellman said:

20M for a young goalscorer? 40mill at least, he will be a hit next season and his value will rocket. His  manager knows how to use him. That never happened here

We are talking about Great British Pounds, Sterling? £20-25m is a good price for a player who looked useless in his only foray into the Premier League.

31 minutes ago, Dellman said:

He'll be 24 in a couple of months so he's not that young and he's had one good season in the Championship for a side that walked the league pretty comfortably.  Realistically the clubs that will be in for him will be clubs around the same size as us.  So it's Burnley, Palace, Brighton etc etc and i don't see them dropping 40M on someone like Tella.  Agree that we probably never saw the best of him and he certainly wasn't used in the best way though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Can't imagine we will bring many, if any, in before the 35+ man squad (and huge wage bill) is reduced.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Cash flow may be important. We have a lot of debts to pay. If we sell Lavia, KWP/JWP early, that issue will probably go away, but if not, there may be a little more pressure to sell. I guess it also depends on what the owner does.

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We are talking about Great British Pounds, Sterling? £20-25m is a good price for a player who looked useless in his only foray into the Premier League.

Not sure he'd come to us next season, but good value at - as you say £20M - and he might see it as a chance to rebuild his career.  Think you're being a little harsh in calling him useless given his England career but I admire your desire to drive high standards into the club.  No Dell size mentality from you and we need more of that.  You've got my vote for fan on the Board next season......

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Well all we "know" is that SR have said they'll back us next year. We also know that a big bunch of players will be leaving this summer, probably including Lavia (£50m?), JWP (£50m?), Adams (£20m), KWP (£20m), ABK (£20m), Salisu (£25m), plus probably likes of Orsic, DCC, Lyanco, Diallo, Onuachu, (possibly another £25m)?

We shouldn't be in a position where we need to rely on the money from Tella. Thats somewhere along the lines of £200m income from transfer sales. Even if it's £150m we still shouldn't need to sell Tella if we don't want him to go and he's not pushing it. He's got a contract until Summer 2025 so maybe it will depend on whether he has any interest signing a new one. He does have a sales price though.

Do you really think we will get those amounts? There is just a year left on Salisu's contract and he has hardly set the world on fire this season, for example. I wonder how we will get £25m for Orsic, DCC, Lyanco, Diallo and Onuachu. I'd be surprised if we got much, if anything for them, simply because they are on Prem wages now, so clubs will have to pay them more, so will then have less for transfer fees. I might be wrong, but I can see it being more like Lavia £40m, JWP £30m, KWP £20m, Salisu £10m and the others maybe £5m. Maybe I am being too pessamistic. 

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Only if we offload loads (which we may well do). We have a 35+ man squad currently.

20 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

€20m for that malingering wanker Bella-Kotchap is a good deal.

Hopefully, the other wanker alongside him, Salisu, will go as well.

So much for knowing about their character before signing them.  Pair of absolute cunts.

out scouting system struggles to recognise decent footballing traits, never mind character.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1