Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Relegation release clause?

Not exactly motivating is it.  Ridiculous idea.

If you're a player for a team which gets relegated either you were playing a lot and are somewhat to blame for the relegation, or you weren't good enough to get into the side and still partly to blame for not being able to push your way into the side and keep the club up. The relegation clause in contracts should be "if we go down it's your fault and your responsibility to get us back up, and you have to take a pay cut too because we make less money in the Championship".

That said, having the out of "if the club gets relegated I can leave" is a perk that means we can sign some players we otherwise couldn't. No-one wants to leave a Champions League or Europa League side to play in the Championship, even if the pay is better and it's the sixth-strongest league in the world.

On 09/03/2023 at 07:53, woodsaint1 said:

50-75% - ABK, Sulemana

If we go down, I'd like to see the club pushing very hard to loan out players like ABK/Sulemana (young and with long contracts) rather than selling. A one-year loan to a premier league side covering 100% (or even 50%) of the wages would mean they could return if we were to bounce straight back up. And if we didn't we'd still have the players under contract and could sell them next summer rather than this, possibly even for more money after they have another year of PL experience.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

If you're a player for a team which gets relegated either you were playing a lot and are somewhat to blame for the relegation, or you weren't good enough to get into the side and still partly to blame for not being able to push your way into the side and keep the club up. The relegation clause in contracts should be "if we go down it's your fault and your responsibility to get us back up, and you have to take a pay cut too because we make less money in the Championship".

That said, having the out of "if the club gets relegated I can leave" is a perk that means we can sign some players we otherwise couldn't. No-one wants to leave a Champions League or Europa League side to play in the Championship, even if the pay is better and it's the sixth-strongest league in the world.

If we go down, I'd like to see the club pushing very hard to loan out players like ABK/Sulemana (young and with long contracts) rather than selling. A one-year loan to a premier league side covering 100% (or even 50%) of the wages would mean they could return if we were to bounce straight back up. And if we didn't we'd still have the players under contract and could sell them next summer rather than this, possibly even for more money after they have another year of PL experience.

They should stay and compete in the championship and get us promoted. Out of our team, Only Lavia,JWP and KWP have shown consistently high levels. Those 3 are the ones I would say that would go.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

IMO it could demotivate a player who could get a move and cash that he wouldn’t have got had we stayed up.

17 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

If we stay up I can easily see 3 of our Jan signings being moved on in the summer, Bree Orisic and Tall Paul. They don’t suit the way Selles plays, very much Jones style signings 

Wouldnt know, we've barely seen him

• Like 1

On 09/03/2023 at 07:57, Crab Lungs said:

I’d be more worried we let the useless nerds in our current recruitment department stay in control. Most of those players above you listed came through our infamous black box berks. 

I agree, our recruitment is crap compared to before. But honestly im convinced Black box success was just Paul Mitchell's list he created, with some great manager (Koeman) recomendations/buys post Mitchell leaving ,making us think we were doing fine without him.

Since Koeman left it revealed our recruitment issues and we havent managed to make as good buys. Not on the same level.

I havent kept up with Mitchell in the years since he left us though,he might of fell off,  i remember there was some issues at spurs. But at Saints it seemed a perfect fit.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

If we stay up I can easily see 3 of our Jan signings being moved on in the summer, Bree Orisic and Tall Paul. They don’t suit the way Selles plays, very much Jones style signings 

This, they’ll all go.

Orsic felt a bizarre signing in the first place. Definitely Vergard Forren MKII.
He’ll be back at Dinamo come July.

11 hours ago, Spark said:

I agree, our recruitment is crap compared to before. But honestly im convinced Black box success was just Paul Mitchell's list he created, with some great manager (Koeman) recomendations/buys post Mitchell leaving ,making us think we were doing fine without him.

Since Koeman left it revealed our recruitment issues and we havent managed to make as good buys. Not on the same level.

I havent kept up with Mitchell in the years since he left us though,he might of fell off,  i remember there was some issues at spurs. But at Saints it seemed a perfect fit.

Hahaha, that’s exactly what I thought! It was actually Mitchell’s work, signed off by a good manager well in the loop with our targets - for example, Koeman.

mad far as I’m aware, Mitchell has been at Monaco for a while. No idea on their recruitment though.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Spark said:

it was all down to Les Reed wasn't it?

• Haha 1

Just now, the saint in winchester said:

The summer will be all about releasing players. If we have an exodus, then we may need others. But if we have enough already, why spend more?

Who though? People keep saying we’ve got to get rid of players. Walcott, Elyanoussi and Willy are out contract so that’s 3, we’ve signed a dozen or so players on the last two transfer windows all of them will be on at least 3 year contracts so they aren’t going anywhere, apart from the ones we don’t want to sell. Whatever division we are in we’re going to be stuck with a load of players that no other premier league club would want and no championship club or most other leagues in Europe can afford. Having spent 4 years or so getting rid of the last lot of deadwood we couldn’t even give away we’ve gone and stocked up on a load more shite.  

48 minutes ago, Verbal said:

No more "punts" in the summer, if we stay up. We need four quality £20m+ players, rather than eight £10m punts. It's where last summer went wrong and has been the case for a few windows now. 

• Like 2

On 20/03/2023 at 15:51, the saint in winchester said:

The summer will be all about releasing players. If we have an exodus, then we may need others. But if we have enough already, why spend more?

We'll struggle to hold on to Lavia, KWP and JWP if we're relegated. Depending on how Livramento's recovery goes this is going to mean we're short on numbers and quality at full back and in midfield.

2 minutes ago, Danbert said:

We'll struggle to hold on to Lavia, KWP and JWP if we're relegated. Depending on how Livramento's recovery goes this is going to mean we're short on numbers and quality at full back and in midfield.

what's happening with him? He was meant to be back after the world cup wasn't he?

12 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

If you watch videos of him, he's a quicker version of Elynoussi. And we already have that in Sulemana. Comes in off the wings to finish. Maybe. But as other have said - we need to focus on quality in the 20-25M bracket, rather than quantity in the 5-15M bracket.

It would be very surprising if the club recruited any new players this summer. Apart from the uncertainty about where we will be playing football next season, we already have a bloated squad that needs thinning out and several promising young players out on loan who could be recalled and be useful for us. There is also the need to consolidate the new players of the last two windows into a cohesive whole. Most of Selles' time this summer will be taken up wrestling with these problems - who stays, who goes - getting fringe players off the books.

By the end of the year, he'll have a much better idea of his best squad and where any weaknesses might lie so the January window is probably the next time we will need or be prepared to splash yet more cash.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

If you watch videos of him, he's a quicker version of Elynoussi. And we already have that in Sulemana. Comes in off the wings to finish. Maybe. But as other have said - we need to focus on quality in the 20-25M bracket, rather than quantity in the 5-15M bracket.

So is he going to be an upgrade on Elyanoussis brilliant without the ball role ad he’ll be a bit quicker at running around without it?

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

2 questions;

Is the concensus that if we stay up Selles will be given the manager's job ?

How likely is it that, regardless of which division we are in, Nathan Tella will leave ?

We will suffer a circa £100M drop in broadcasting revenue if we're relegated, but that will be mitigated by parachute payments of circa 55%, 45% and 20% of the equal share of broadcasting revenues over the first 3 seasons respectively. It will also be mitigated by relegation clauses in contracts reducing the player wage liability.

Once we lose KWP, Salisu, and one of Lavia/JWP, we will have likely eclipsed most of the immediate hit. I don't understand this thinking everyone seems to have that we'll be unable to keep players or forced to sell most of the team. We'll also likely see a lot of peripheral players leave i'd wager - theo and Ely are both out of contract this summer. Whilst KWP, Salisu, che, maca, Diallo etc. run out in summer 2024 - A list of player sales will probably largely tie in with contract dates. https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-player-contract-expires-summer-8220168 

Tella is under contract until summer 2025. Given that, i imagine we will only sell him if it makes sense from a squad depth / cost perspective. I.e. if we decide we don't want him (which would be batshit mental in the championship imo), or Burnley simply offer us over the top for him etc.

Smallbone is in another similar position although his contract does run out summer 2024, as does Jack Stephens.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

On 13/03/2023 at 03:38, Spark said:

Liverpool face competition from Manchester United to secure the services of recruitment guru Paul Mitchell, 41, who will leave Monaco this summer. (Mirror)

6 hours ago, sad saints fan said:

Liverpool face competition from Manchester United to secure the services of recruitment guru Paul Mitchell, 41, who will leave Monaco this summer. (Mirror)

Couldnt make it up, Liverpool. Hope he goes to united then lol

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think most expect him to go in the summer regardless of what league we’re in. I think he’s probably not delivered the quality and consistency that we might’ve hoped after certain performances, but clearly has all the tools to be a very good defender. Personally i’ve grown to realise he’s probably the worst of all our CB’s with the ball at his feet, but he’s probably the best actual defender. ABK seems to have the best of both so far, albeit still a little raw. 

Edited by saintwbu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I think most expect him to go in the summer regardless of what league we’re in. I think he’s probably not delivered the quality and consistency that we might’ve hoped after certain performances, but clearly has all the tools to be a very good defender. Personally i’ve grown to realise he’s probably the worst of all our CB’s with the ball at his feet, but he’s probably the best actual defender. ABK seems to have the best of both so far, albeit still a little raw. 

Will be a bit of a piss take if we stay up and he goes to Leicester.

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Will be a bit of a piss take if we stay up and he goes to Leicester.

Yeah I don’t see how Leicester would fund a £25mil bid given they don’t seem to have a pot to piss in at the moment, and have quite a few defenders on their books. Villa I could definitely see. 

• Like 1

Just now, saintwbu said:

Yeah I don’t see how Leicester would fund a £25mil bid given they don’t seem to have a pot to piss in at the moment, and have quite a few defenders on their books. Villa I could definitely see. 

Think Villa is a bit more realistic. Decent enough for mid table Premier League, nowhere near top 6 quality yet though. 

• Like 1

Had high hopes for him after his first few games but if he’s not going to sign a new contract £25m would be a good price with just a year left; he’s not quite progressed as much as we’d have hoped but I still think he’s got all the attributes to be a top defender 

• Like 2

On 13/03/2023 at 13:16, FarehamSaintJames said:

This, they’ll all go.

Orsic felt a bizarre signing in the first place. Definitely Vergard Forren MKII.
He’ll be back at Dinamo come July.

Can I ask you why you think it looked a bizzare signing in the first place ?

a player that has looked great at europa league .. including a hatrick vs spurs, scoring against Chelsea and a beautifull curled effort against West Ham 

a player that has scored another beautiful curled effort in a World Cup semi final on big international stage and ripped up the Croatian league for years ..

what looks bizzare about that? bar why would he want to join the club bottom of the league ?

looked a great signing imo and as proven as your gonna get for a club like us.. we don’t buy top players from top leagues but this was more a signing in the tadic vein

if you wanna write him after a couple of appearances, and because selles doesn’t rate him that’s on you .. selles is still picking elyounoussi every week so his judgement isn’t that good 🤣

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Cat said:

Love the language they use in relation to transfers. Aston Villa are "plotting" to sign Salisu. It's not like they are trying to overthrow an oppressive government regime ffs.

It's when they start "swooping" that we need to worry.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Katalinic said:

It's when they start "swooping" that we need to worry.

Reminds me of an old headline that's always stuck with me from the 90's in The Pink (remember that)?

'Saints swoop for Whiston' (remember him)?

Like it was a big coup to sign some guy from Exeter nobody had ever heard of. Only played one game for us.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Reminds me of an old headline that's always stuck with me from the 90's in The Pink (remember that)?

'Saints swoop for Whiston' (remember him)?

Like it was a big coup to sign some guy from Exeter nobody had ever heard of. Only played one game for us.

Swallows swoop,  crows peck at scraps.

14 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Can I ask you why you think it looked a bizzare signing in the first place ?

a player that has looked great at europa league .. including a hatrick vs spurs, scoring against Chelsea and a beautifull curled effort against West Ham 

a player that has scored another beautiful curled effort in a World Cup semi final on big international stage and ripped up the Croatian league for years ..

what looks bizzare about that? bar why would he want to join the club bottom of the league ?

looked a great signing imo and as proven as your gonna get for a club like us.. we don’t buy top players from top leagues but this was more a signing in the tadic vein

if you wanna write him after a couple of appearances, and because selles doesn’t rate him that’s on you .. selles is still picking elyounoussi every week so his judgement isn’t that good 🤣

Bottom of the league.

30 years old - doesn’t fit the club ethos of being youngsters. 

Didn’t fit the then managers preferred tactics and formation (With the greatest of respect).

Was playing well at Europa League level, not sure why you’d change that, comfort of your own home, family etc, for the possibility of being homesick (which it’s now revealed he is) and the possibility of playing in the Championship next season.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Let's hope we are no longer a selling club. If we stay up he should stay for another year. He is not the finished article yet. Then we can discuss a swap with Rashford plus some cash.

I think he will go whether we stay up or not, unfortunately