Jose Fonte to return next season (Twitter Rumour)

Esher Saint

Hearing rumour JF maybe set for a role with us in Championship next season as player coach - similar to JT at Villa several years back.

Personally I would welcome it.

Proven leader and he's kept himself in good nick - still playing at top level for Lille.

Interested to know general thoughts on this.   

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Esher Saint said:

Hearing rumour JF maybe set for a role with us in Championship next season as player coach - similar to JT at Villa several years back.

Proven leader and he's kept himself in good nick - still playing at top level for Lille.

Great news. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jose Fonte to return next season (Twitter Rumour)

‘Rumour’ from a questionable source it seems.

But would seem premature to consider  a coaching role for anyone without first knowing the manager.

Although with our management judging on this season, we are likely to do things ‘arse about face’ . But don’t believe it.

1 minute ago, Pip said:

Surely you have to know who the manager is going to be before you start making this sort of appointment without his/her/their input?

The manager will be Jose Fonte.

He’s 39 now. By August he will be four months off 40.probably past it for playing but his experience would be very valuable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pip said:

Surely you have to know who the manager is going to be before you start making this sort of appointment without his/her/their input?

Wilcox is unofficially working already. It wouldn’t be a huge surprise to me if we already have a manager provisionally in place/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manji said:

Wilcox is unofficially working already. It wouldn’t be a huge surprise to me if we already have a manager provisionally in place/

A front-footed manager, who knows the Championship well?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

…. Unless he is the new manager of course … 

Could Rasmus opt for an untried ex-player ? 

FFS Rasmus was never intended to select staff. He had to because Shields fucked us over and went to Chelsea, that went well for Chelsea.

From the end of this season, probably already Wilcox is choosing the staff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This twat

It's almost as if our fans haven't realised that inexperienced managers like Selles don't work!

Sometimes I wonder if I live in a different dimension to some of them. 

These are the same fans who probably wanted Jason Dodd given the managers job in 2007

1 minute ago, Paul Chuckle said:

It's almost as if our fans haven't realised that inexperienced managers like Selles don't work!

Sometimes I wonder if I live in a different dimension to some of them. 

These are the same fans who probably wanted Jason Dodd given the managers job in 2007

Yeah because Jones and Selles were young managers who could oversee a project at the club and that’s gone fucking brilliantly. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This twat

One of the biggest tits to support our club and that takes some doing. Although this isn’t the worst opinion I’ve seen this week. 

some fucking moron was suggesting Theo should take the remaining games 😂

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Badger said:

…. Unless he is the new manager of course … 

Could Rasmus opt for an untried ex-player ? 

well we’ve tried the untried man off the street who hasn't played professionally.

so in that case it’s a step up. But I still want someone with experience this time around. 

Edited by SotonianWill

19 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

The guy is a winner and an integral part of our success, as well as winning the Euros with Portugal and Ligue 1. If he returns, even as a coach, it would be an excellent move.

In that case, we’re better off getting Lampard, Gerrard or Red Nev. Not that I believe there’s any truth to this rumour but I don’t want Fonte back here at all; player, manager or otherwise. If he goes somewhere and proves his credentials then he’s worth considering but to bet next season’s promotion on pointless sentimentality is just weird IMO.

• Like 3

Our fans love giving an ex player a job for life. We don't owe Jose Fonte a salary or his first managerial job. 

He'd be welcome back anytime to wave on the pitch and will always get a heroes welcome, but leave it as that. 

This reminds me of the time someone suggested we appoint Tim Flowers and Rickie Lambert as a managerial duo on twitter

20 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

The guy is a winner and an integral part of our success, as well as winning the Euros with Portugal and Ligue 1. If he returns, even as a coach, it would be an excellent move.

Fonte not hugely rated by Claude Puel though, and it is my understanding that he was very much a World Class Manager.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Whereas, James Beattie has a coaching license and nowadays a clean driving license (including fork lift trucks).

That’s great he could stack the boxes of cones and balls in the warehouse after they’ve finished training. We’ll need this sort of out of the boxing cost saving ideas when we go down 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

Whereas, James Beattie has a coaching license and nowadays a clean driving license (including fork lift trucks).

And Neil Shipperley is out on license*, so let's have him show us what he's got.

(*Not true I know, but it worked for the gag).

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Can I just get it over with, before some plum suggests it...

Lets get Nigel in to be his experienced number 2.

“Plum” does seem to be an in vogue word on here recently.

Are “plums” known for talking a ‘load of old pony’, or am I confusing you with someone else ? 

On 01/05/2023 at 20:42, Esher Saint said:

Is your twitter handle @Andrewsaintsfc per chance? 🧐

• Haha 1

Ah come on, let’s leave the OP and the twitter lad alone. 

( I’m just checking my Face-twit, Snatch-book, chat-tik and tok-twitch).

To be honest the most important thing that I have read today which is most worrying and also made me feel really pleased tbf.

Is the earth is really flat, they have found Elvis on Mars, asteroid alpha 176368800 is due to hit at around 17.40 tonight.

I’m really a time traveller, and the lottery numbers for Saturday are 1, 2,3,4,5,6

Just now, benjii said:

Just saw him with Bierhoff and Sacchi at Winchester Services on A34.

Martin O'Neil to come in as director of football and Michael Owen coming in to teach the strikers how to score?

18 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Was Fonte even a good leader? I thought the consensus was his form fell off a cliff when he didn't have a dominant centre back alongside him

Very much anecdotal, but I remember a league cup game, the season before he left when he was on the bench. We were 2-1 up but slightly hanging on towards the end, so he was "warming up" all the way through to 90 minutes. In reality, he was stood shouting, waving and generally coaching the team alongside the coaches. I don't know why it stuck with me, but it just gave me the impression he really wanted to lead our squad that season and we did very well.

Then he went to the Euros, and everything seemed to go downhill from there.

• Like 1