Russell Martin

LegalEagle

9 minutes ago, SwansFan said:

Thornton is an interesting character. Engages with fans a bit on Twitter. Doesn't like it when the keeper is criticised. As soon as they keep a clean sheet (irrespective of whether the keeper actually makes any decent saves), he'll be tweeting those who have been critical in quite a smug manner as if it somehow one clean sheet makes up for the 3 times in the previous month he's chucked the ball into his own net.

That will be go down well with our fan base...

Re the earlier point by Tauro on Adkins, you have to remember that at the time Nigel was actually joining us from a Championship club! Remarkable when you see where Scunthorpe are now (Conference North!) and had been promoted from League One on several occasions. It was the first time he had any real budget  - however it must be remembered we already had the core of our squad in place - Kelvin in goal with Jose Fonte, Dean Hammond, Adam Lallana, Morgan Schneiderlin, Dan Harding and Ricky Lambert already in place.

RM potentially starts with a very strong squad for the Championship with plenty of exciting young players, particularly with athleticism and pace and a number of former Championship players who are arguably better suited to the division. He will clearly lose some very good players and recruitment in defence is going to be crucial, but the fans need to be open minded and at least give him a chance. 

• Like 4

Interesting podcast covering many topics. 

Particularly that he has been a player (at Norwich) who has been relegated from the PL and has seen the fallout. Mentions that most players who have been relegated expect to get a move back to the PL and the dynamic is hard to get right.

Another experience he has that will be useful in our situation.

• Like 2

So out of everyone we chose an average manager from an average side who plays possession football for the sake of it and can't organise a defence. 

I realise a few fans are championing him but there were quite a few fans who claimed that Carrillo was a decent striker even though he had a terrible scoring record.

Seems the infighting on this forum will be the most interesting thing during the next season.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

So out of everyone we chose an average manager from an average side who plays possession football for the sake of it and can't organise a defence. 

I realise a few fans are championing him but there were quite a few fans who claimed that Carrillo was a decent striker even though he had a terrible scoring record.

Seems the infighting on this forum will be the most interesting thing during the next season.

I think it’ll be interesting to see where we go really, I’ll be happy to stick my colours to the mast abd say I think he’ll be a good appointment for us, if Im wrong Im wrong

I certainly don’t expect him to be a bad as a lot of the more reactionary on here believe he’ll be

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SwansFan said:

Expect a lot of talk about 'process'. About how he came in at a time of change and he has had to instil something different in the players which takes time, etc. If you lose a lot of players and sign a lot of players, it'll play right into his hands.

For instance, he came in just before our first game of the 2021/22 season and in February he was still bleating on about the lack of pre-season making a huge difference.

He wasn't as unbacked as he has led people to believe. He spent £400k on the keeper he wanted, over £1m on Harry Darling (both from MK) and whilst most fans would agree we could have done with an extra couple of players in January, he has had more money than most teams at our level.

He certainly hasn't had to come in and play kids from the youth team. Yes our squad is young but it is fairly experienced too as a lot of our younger players have been in the team for a while. Cabango is 23 but has 6 Welsh caps and 130 odd first team appearances for us at Championship level. I think it's a bit disingenuous to use his age as an excuse at this point. Obviously 20 year old Nathan Wood in his first proper season, fair enough.

Joe Allen's record speaks for itself, Matt Grimes, Jay Fulton, Ryan Manning have over 1,000 senior appearances between them, Olivier Ntcham played 80odd times for Celtic, including in Europe and went to last year's World Cup... so whilst it is a young side, he has had some decent players with plenty of experience.

He seems to be one of those managers you always have to find excuses for if he doesn't make them himself. I wonder what his excuses were for only finishing 19th and 13th with MK Dons? The manager who replaced him took them up to 3rd and the playoffs with no better resources.

After Swansea had finished 4th the previous season, Martin came and took you down to 15th, your worst finish in the 2nd tier since 1984! That was quite a fall.

I just had a look at the MK Dons messageboard to see what their fans thought of him. Oh dear:

"Greatest thing that ever happened to our club him Leaving!"

THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR) • View topic - Russell Martin* (sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com)

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2

The fact we're in the championship and about to appoint Russell Martin is a shit show. The End. All we really needed to do last summer was sign a decent goalscorer. But here we are 1 CEO, 2 managers, 2 first team coaching setups, 1 director of football/academy/finance etc., and £160M later, and we've got fans excited about selling players like JWP, KWP, ABK, Lavia etc. and starting again in the championship with a seemingly 2nd rate manager with no achievements to his name 😄. Its an utter travesty of cumulative avoidable fuck ups sadly - no disrespect to Mr Martin ofc... he could be the best manager in europe for all i know! Sad reality is he is seemingly our level now 🤮🤮🤮

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Interesting podcast covering many topics. 

Particularly that he has been a player (at Norwich) who has been relegated from the PL and has seen the fallout. Mentions that most players who have been relegated expect to get a move back to the PL and the dynamic is hard to get right.

Another experience he has that will be useful in our situation.

No-one can say he doesn't know his way around.   He started his career in League 2 and played in higher levels as time went by.

League One, Championship and then 5-6 seasons with Norwich in the Prem. and Championship.  Has also clocked up 29 (?) caps with Scotland. 

Young enough to remember what League football is all about, now the hardest part is motivating the right players in the right way.

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The fact we're in the championship and about to appoint Russell Martin is a shit show. The End. All we really needed to do last summer was sign a decent goalscorer. But here we are 1 CEO, 2 managers, 2 first team coaching setups, 1 director of football/academy/finance etc., and £160M later, and we've got fans excited about selling players like JWP, KWP, ABK, Lavia etc. and starting again in the championship with a seemingly 2nd rate manager with no achievements to his name 😄. Its an utter travesty of cumulative avoidable fuck ups sadly - no disrespect to Mr Martin ofc... he could be the best manager in europe for all i know! Sad reality is he is seemingly our level now 🤮🤮🤮

I find it hard to disagree with much of what you say there, it has been continuous cockups to lead us to where we are today. Maybe this is seemingly our level now, gone are the days of a Koeman coming in - so the least we can do is support him and hope for the best.

But when you put it like you have above it is really quite frightening how bad a job they've made of it thus far.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, edprice1984 said:

That will be go down well with our fan base...

Re the earlier point by Tauro on Adkins, you have to remember that at the time Nigel was actually joining us from a Championship club! Remarkable when you see where Scunthorpe are now (Conference North!) and had been promoted from League One on several occasions. It was the first time he had any real budget  - however it must be remembered we already had the core of our squad in place - Kelvin in goal with Jose Fonte, Dean Hammond, Adam Lallana, Morgan Schneiderlin, Dan Harding and Ricky Lambert already in place.

RM potentially starts with a very strong squad for the Championship with plenty of exciting young players, particularly with athleticism and pace and a number of former Championship players who are arguably better suited to the division. He will clearly lose some very good players and recruitment in defence is going to be crucial, but the fans need to be open minded and at least give him a chance. 

Started off well, but let yourself down at the end...😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here we fucking go again. Now allegedly we have a new manager that plays a certain way. When are the dickheads ever going to learn that is the most arse about face way of managing a football team. Pick the best players and play them in their best positions and the shape and style sorts itself out. Guardiola knows how he wants to play so he spends a billion pounds putting together a team of internationals that suit playing his way. Any dickhead that thinks he can walk in and impose a style on many unsuited players that don't know what the hell he is trying to do and can't do it anyway isn't going to provide a successful team.

If Martin isn't clever and adapts to what we have and brings in complimentary players that we need to replace and strengthen positions, then this could be an absolute clusterfuck. If this last season hasn't been bad enough.

If Martin comes in and shows the necessary adaptability and intelligence to construct a team that exceeds the sum of the parts and looks like a team I'll support him. Anything less and it won't matter because after about ten matches he'll be on his bike.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, derry said:

Here we fucking go again. Now allegedly we have a new manager that plays a certain way. When are the dickheads ever going to learn that is the most arse about face way of managing a football team. Pick the best players and play them in their best positions and the shape and style sorts itself out. Guardiola knows how he wants to play so he spends a billion pounds putting together a team of internationals that suit playing his way. Any dickhead that thinks he can walk in and impose a style on many unsuited players that don't know what the hell he is trying to do and can't do it anyway isn't going to provide a successful team.

If Martin isn't clever and adapts to what we have and brings in complimentary players that we need to replace and strengthen positions, then this could be an absolute clusterfuck. If this last season hasn't been bad enough.

If Martin comes in and shows the necessary adaptability and intelligence to construct a team that exceeds the sum of the parts and looks like a team I'll support him. Anything less and it won't matter because after about ten matches he'll be on his bike.

I think that's the point: SR have identified a clear style of play they want and recruited a manager who plays that way. There is going to be a big clear out in the playing squad, and we will bring in players who fit with the new playing style.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I think that's the point: SR have identified a clear style of play they want and recruited a manager who plays that way. There is going to be a big clear out in the playing squad, and we will bring in players who fit with the new playing style.

Good luck with that. If Ankerson's attempts during the January window are anything to go on, the boy genius is going to crash and burn. Our Serbian Godfather isn't going to be  as accommodating this time around. Selling the players we want to keep and wondering what we can do about the overpaid ones we want to go and can't shift isn't going to cut it this time around.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, derry said:

In most cases you'd be right, if a new manager was working with the existing group of players then he'd have to tailor his needs.

But this situation is different, there is a large expectation that we will lose AT LEAST 10 players, that will create the space to bring in players that fit his specific style from day one. It's not often a manager gets an opportunity like this, but we need to make sure we get it right and having an alignment on the playing style approach is priority number 1 I'd say.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

In most cases you'd be right, if a new manager was working with the existing group of players then he'd have to tailor his needs.

But this situation is different, there is a large expectation that we will lose AT LEAST 10 players, that will create the space to bring in players that fit his specific style from day one. It's not often a manager gets an opportunity like this, but we need to make sure we get it right and having an alignment on the playing style approach is priority number 1 I'd say.

Who goes or stays is unpredictable. Even the club could have a problem. Highly paid ether give away or keep. If they can't match the wages they won't move. JWP, Lavia and Walker-Peters will have suitors. Then we have the ones we need to keep and the ones we need to leave. The likes of Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tella are sellable but we need to keep. We need a mug to buy Adams for his goalscoring potential. It isn't going to be that easy to revolutionise the style.

1 minute ago, derry said:

Who goes or stays is unpredictable. Even the club could have a problem. Highly paid ether give away or keep. If they can't match the wages they won't move. JWP, Lavia and Walker-Peters will have suitors. Then we have the ones we need to keep and the ones we need to leave. The likes of Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tella are sellable but we need to keep. We need a mug to buy Adams for his goalscoring potential. It isn't going to be that easy to revolutionise the style.

But what style do we have today? To me we've got a right old confused mix of players in the squad, some who are bought with high press in mind, some who aren't bought with that in mind. So for whoever comes in there immediately needs to be a decision on where the hell we're going strategy wise, as we haven't really had that for a while now.

If anything that will help us recruit 'new' correctly, we may not be able to weed out all of what we want to get rid of, but I just don't think the players we have here at the moment are really wedded to any particular style - it's a mish mash of everything, and a load of rubbish on top of that. It's a positive to me that the club have at least recognised that we need this joined up at all levels again, which will bring clarity in everything else we do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think it’ll be interesting to see where we go really, I’ll be happy to stick my colours to the mast abd say I think he’ll be a good appointment for us, if Im wrong Im wrong

I certainly don’t expect him to be a bad as a lot of the more reactionary on here believe he’ll be

Fair play for giving him a chance. Most think we are Bayern Munich and that we will have a long list of super managers lined up waiting for us.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, derry said:

Adams would be an ideal player to keep. Proven in that level, generally robust to be able to play 90mins three times a week and a good character of which we seemingly have few.

Unfortunately he will go because PL teams will take him and he only has a year left.

As others have said though, there does appear to be some joined up thinking at last with Wilcox influential in Martin joining and obviously well versed in the possession based style, so would assume any signings would be with that style firmly in mind.

Is it a risk? Yes

But after 18 months being stuck in the middle of various styles I think committing to coaching and recruiting to one is a good move.

• Like 1

I agree with S-Clarke and others about the mishmash. Never did we play our best, balanced team and let it play. Playing the bemused players in the Hasnhuttl, Jones and Selles schizophrenic styles got us relegated. More of the same won't get us promoted. If Martin doesn't come? what then?. another new style or a Koeman style manager that reorganises and recruits to play a way that suits the players. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Looks like it’s not happening, we can’t even attract Swanseas manager 🤦‍♂️

Absolute shambles. Write it off as a bad job and get Jason Dodd and Woggy in now. They can take training first thing tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Could it be that the decision makers are stalling because we have someone else in mind? A bigger 'name' perhaps? Give it to close of play tomorrow  and still no decision and then the rumours will start to gain momentum.😜

2 hours ago, derry said:

In fairness, we're about to replace the overwhelming amount of the squad, you'd like to think we'll buy players that at least suit his play style 🤞

3 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I will stick my colours to the opposite mast. I predict he will be at best average and won’t get us to the play offs; wasting a season of parachute payments in the process. Another shit decision by the incompetent owners.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I'm confused with this. In one tweet, Hannah has said, "I'm sorry that you have experienced this....we all want the same thing", and then in the next tweet there is an advert for orthopedic women's shoes. 

Is this what she meant? Do we all have problems with our feet? What do we want, comfy shoes, when do we want 'em, now..........

I suppose it is only fitting for middle-aged men.

Edited by ooh it's a corner
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I have read a few snippets here and there suggesting that Leicester are trying to hijack our deal !

Probably bollocks but it is out there in the cyber world !!

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Absolute shambles. Write it off as a bad job and get Jason Dodd and Woggy in now. They can take training first thing tomorrow morning.

Only one man can save us. Bring back Les Reed. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

ITK ? 

Would be quite funny if he's unveiled at LEICESTER 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The only man that can save us at this point is Maya Yoshida. Ready to rip up his playing contract to come bring us back. 

• Haha 1