What to expect from Russell Martin

Fraser Spinney

Interesting read thanks. At least it's clear that he is trying to play a style, even if it is predictable. For me, the style and structure is only as good as the players you have. Playing out of the back means having defenders who are really comfortable and confident on the ball with great control...we've not had that for since I can remember. I'd be interested to see what the plus-minus tally is for goals conceded trying to play out of the back vs goals scored having played out from the back. 

It also makes the point about the ball-winning midfielder. Lavia that was...Ommmm.

The other thing is the need for a striker that scores 20+ goals a season. We've not had one of those for a long time now. I'm not a great fan of relying on one or two individuals to score all your goals - you should have at least five or six regular goal sources in the team.

• Like 1

I expect boring football, lots of possession but no end product, much like a lot of last season.

I expect he'll be gone by Xmas and by then we'll be looking at a playoff place at best, at worst, hoping we can stay up. The board will then hire a league 1 manager manager because there's an even lower budget due to all the previous fuck ups.

Edited by southamptonfc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

As was clear last season for this side to be competent on the ball and competitive it needs a new spine - experienced solid keeper, a leader of a centre back, a holding / defensive midfielder and a clinical forward. This is even more necessary now that we have RM and his style of play. If Sport Republic attempt to blag or bluff this out we are going to struggle to be in the top half of the table. For me early in this window keeper is the canary in the coalmine position. Tick tock. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, southamptonfc said:

I expect boring football, lots of possession but no end product, much like a lot of last season.

I expect he'll be gone by Xmas and by then we'll be looking at a playoff place at best, at worst, hoping we can stay up. The board will then hire a league 1 manager manager because there's an even lower budget due to all the previous fuck ups.

Thats the spirit!

5 hours ago, southamptonfc said:

Lovely to start the season with a spirit of optimism 😂

Heavily possession-based football that often leans towards style rather than results and requires capable full backs, a clinical striker and patience from fans? 😨

I thought we'd just tried that and it wasn't a roaring success - I hope he can hit the ground running and deliver something fresh straightaway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Stats dont inspire much optimism, and with many managers with a proven track record in getting teams promoted from the Championship overlooked, I fear another Sport Republic cluster-fùck. I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Fack me some right wet fannies on here! 

Give the lad a chance 👏 

I'll give him a chance, but that doesn't change that his track record is pretty shit. It's hard to be optimistic based on what he's done before. 

• Like 5

We all know how Pep's team plays. Keep the ball, attack at speed, slow, slow, quick,quick, hug both touchlines move it back and start again. However, possession amongst the defence, backwards and sideways racking up the pass numbers, hence the high percentage isn't possession football it's unambitious,turgid,  losing crap. If we are going to play possession football it has to be possession that pulls teams apart in their own half with half a dozen players overloading opponents at pace, with players getting in behind. It also contains an element of hitting teams on the break. I'm not sure that is our future. I'd love to be surprised.

• Like 3

So 3 at the back again. I remember repeated attempts at this in the lead up to league games before  failing in matches and eventually being abandoned. Maybe this works better in the championship where the attackers are not as adept at exploiting the massive gaps and our defenders lack of covering won't get exploited.

20 hours ago, derry said:

We all know how Pep's team plays. Keep the ball, attack at speed, slow, slow, quick,quick, hug both touchlines move it back and start again. However, possession amongst the defence, backwards and sideways racking up the pass numbers, hence the high percentage isn't possession football it's unambitious,turgid,  losing crap. If we are going to play possession football it has to be possession that pulls teams apart in their own half with half a dozen players overloading opponents at pace, with players getting in behind. It also contains an element of hitting teams on the break. I'm not sure that is our future. I'd love to be surprised.

I’m not sure you do know how City play or have played this treble winning season. 

One of the key tactics they did employ, particularly against a packed midfield, was to keep the ball at the back, wait until a midfielder lost patience and broke rank to which City would exploit the space the midfielder left. Case in point was the demolishing of Arsenal where Odegaard was tempted out again and again. 

19 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

So 3 at the back again. I remember repeated attempts at this in the lead up to league games before  failing in matches and eventually being abandoned. Maybe this works better in the championship where the attackers are not as adept at exploiting the massive gaps and our defenders lack of covering won't get exploited.

considering we will likely have new Cbs and midfield does it really matter how it worked in the past? or are you saying 3 at the back doesnt work full stop? 

On 22/06/2023 at 08:34, egg said:

I'll give him a chance, but that doesn't change that his track record is pretty shit. It's hard to be optimistic based on what he's done before. 

it feels very much like the Jones appointment. I think the result will be the same as well. 

• Like 1

I expect August and September to be a mixed bag due to new manager, uncertainties over who stays, who goes and both new and existing players getting used to how Martin wants us to play.  That'd be the same for any new manager coming to us at this time though.

By the end of the season I'd be really disappointed if we weren't at least in the play off positions.

• Like 1

I expect repeated cries of "we don't have the players to suit the required style of play", followed quickly by the realisation and recognition that SR have royally screwed up once again because (a) the already bloated squad was not pulled apart enough, (b) time ran out to bring in the players needed to improve the 1st team, (c) not enough money was spent resolving the lack of quality in certain positions in the squad (e.g. strikers), (d) Martin and his coaching team fail to eradicate the losing mentality ingrained into the squad.  Other than that, promotion preferably as champions.

Swans fan in peace.

I was excited when Russ was appointed with us 2 years ago.

But quickly realised he could talk a good job but the football was pretty boring to be honest.

Was slow and predictable and he never had a plan B.

Opposition managers teams quickly realised if you press and close us down we would make mistakes.

The pressure he put our keepers under was unfair and he was quick to blame others when things went wrong.

Several players copped it and were frozen out of things.

He nearly had the sack in March after 2 wins in 21.

We then played our best football of the season and went unbeaten in 9 but the pressure was off then and we beat sides in the main who were struggling.

So my summary is you have got a bang average manager who was lucky to get a job with us from MK and even luckier to get a job with you after 4 seasons where he has achieved nothing really.

Good luck for next season.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, guthrieintherain said:

Swans fan in peace.

But quickly realised he could talk a good job but the football was pretty boring to be honest.

Opposition managers teams quickly realised if you press and close us down we would make mistakes.

The pressure he put our keepers under was unfair and he was quick to blame others when things went wrong.

We then played our best football of the season and went unbeaten in 9 but the pressure was off then and we beat sides in the main who were struggling.

So my summary is you have got a bang average manager who was lucky to get a job with us from MK and even luckier to get a job with you after 4 seasons where he has achieved nothing really.

Apart from that, you like him? 

14 minutes ago, guthrieintherain said:

Swans fan in peace.

Thankfully, we have Bazunu 😆

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

Apart from that, you like him? 

I supported him whilst he was with us.

But was pleased when he went he wanted to play the game in the right way but it was just to slow I longed for him to play with wingers.

Wont miss him going on about his project either he may do well with you Cooper did at Forest and Potter at Brighton.

But he won't get the time he had with you that we gave him.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, guthrieintherain said:

Swans fan in peace.

want some chips with that salt?

Edited by SotonianWill
this was a joke, realise i’ve misread the room based off the reactions
  • Confused 3

Not at all just an honest opinion.

Pretty happy how it's worked out for us we have gained a manager who has achieved more in 3 seasons than Russ did in 4.

Has a higher win % plus he only cost us 500k and we received 1.25 million rising to 2 million if we win the arbitration case.

1 minute ago, guthrieintherain said:

Pretty happy how it's worked out for us we have gained a manager who has achieved more in 3 seasons than Russ did in 4.

Has a higher win % plus he only cost us 500k and we received 1.25 million rising to 2 million if we win the arbitration case.

Time will tell how well Martin will do with some actual resources and being backed financially. And we will see if he was holding you back next season. 

From the outside it looks like it did a great job to keep you competitive with such little money. 

1 hour ago, guthrieintherain said:

I supported him whilst he was with us.

But was pleased when he went he wanted to play the game in the right way but it was just to slow I longed for him to play with wingers.

Wont miss him going on about his project either he may do well with you Cooper did at Forest and Potter at Brighton.

But he won't get the time he had with you that we gave him.

You must be gutted he has been replaced with some no mark from League 1 who has achieved even less?

27 minutes ago, guthrieintherain said:

Which you cant possibly win as he hadnt actually signed a contract until (reads notes) this week?  unless of course you have a unfair r / restrictive clause saying someone cant consider changing jobs ? 

3 hours ago, guthrieintherain said:

yeah fair will be interesting for all of us - dont know much about swansea other than your owners dont know where their wallets are.

I sort of like swansea (michu days) always try and play good football, i think the managers you have are all usually good, the challenge is ensuring the players you have can play the way they want as they know the owners wont buy a load of new ones who can.

As of yet we have not received any compensation.

As we felt by accepting the lower amount we would be harming our claim to the full amount owed.

Also justcto add unless agreement is reached inbthe next 5 days Martinbwill not be able to work for you as will be in breech of contract.

As we felt by accepting the lower amount we would be harming our claim to the full amount owed.

Also just to add unless agreement is reached in the next 5 days Martin will not be able to work for you as will be in breech of contract.

8 minutes ago, guthrieintherain said:

Also justcto add unless agreement is reached inbthe next 5 days Martinbwill not be able to work for you as will be in breech of contract.

what bollox, . its a legal dispute and will end in court, arbitration or settled at some point. you cannot restrict someone from earning a living because you disagree with another party.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2023 at 15:04, wild-saint said:

You must be gutted he has been replaced with some no mark from League 1 who has achieved even less?

Duff has a promotion with Cheltenham, and the following season kept them in L1 quite comfortably, perhaps exceeding expectation given their resources.

In his only season with Barnsley he took them to the play off final.

What are Martin’s successes to date ? 

Not sure I’d be crying into my beer as a Swansea fan now.

Edited by Badger
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

what bollox, . its a legal dispute and will end in court, arbitration or settled at some point. you cannot restrict someone from earning a living because you disagree with another party.

Been reported on our site by the site admin and they rarely post anything which is not accurate.

Hopefully the compo will get resolved in the next 5 days which works in both clubs interests.

Also regarding an earlier post of Martin working with no money for us.

This was simply not true it's what he tried to have supporters believe but was not accurate.

And we were amongs the top 8 clubs in the league re budgets.

Martin cost us a play off place last season and was backed by the club.The club showed incredible patience with him after a run of 2 wins in 21 games.

Sorry to merge topics but only allowed 3 posts a day Lol.

Been reported on our site by the site admin and they rarely post anything which is not accurate.

Hopefully the compo will get resolved in the next 5 days which works in both clubs interests.

Also regarding an earlier post of Martin working with no money for us.

This was simply not true it's what he tried to have supporters believe but was not accurate.

And we were amongs the top 8 clubs in the league re budgets.

Martin cost us a play off place last season and was backed by the club.The club showed incredible patience with him after a run of 2 wins in 21 games.

Sorry to merge topics but only allowed 3 posts a day Lol.

I wish whingeing fans from other clubs who are possibly  spouting bollix would just piss off we have enough of our own who we have grown to ignore

Martin is our manager now  I wish him well but I do not expect an immediate return to the PL I just would like to see a fair amount of home wins with little or no chance of relegation

SR have fucked up completely since they become involved with the club so all I want to see is stability

If four or five of our best players leave their is little chance of us surviving in the the PL with the players that performed so dismally in the PL last season especially as we have very few decent youngsters coming through who are committed to the club.