Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

Don’t think Bazunu has the physical strength or craft currently - not big enough not savvy enough. These attributes may come as he develops as a footballer but he genuinely suffered last season as a Sport Republic poster boy and due to the lack of serious competition. Best scenario might be McCarthy exit and replace with a solid all rounder, GB dropping to number 2. Saints been linked with Dragowski and there is some decent experience, power and character there if Melton Mowbray can get it over the line. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

This thread gearing up for the fuck sake Bazunu your fuckin shit as a 30 yard worldie zooms past him first game of the season. 

If this Board are serious about promotion SFC will have to have a significant improvement on the 73 goals conceded last season - both the rare worldies and the regular soft as shitties.

8 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

If this Board are serious about promotion SFC will have to have a significant improvement on the 73 goals conceded last season - both the rare worldies and the regular soft as shitties.

Agree, you can’t concede that many goals and finish well but… 

Hopefully at this level, we can significantly improve our general play and keep it up the other end a bit more, have a bit more in midfield on and off the ball, create more chances and score more than the piss poor totals we had in the Prem, that was absolutely a major factor in our premiership survival. Unfortunately there are many more experienced over rated outfield players to worry about above a 21 year old who clearly has potential and will only get better year on year.

i agree that Prem football was probably too early for him as GK’s in particular generally take longer to mature to top level, but he is defo not shit and quite often the goals he had no chance with last season were made out on here to be mistakes by him. Got a bit ridiculous in the end 

In my opinion. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Agree, you can’t concede that many goals and finish well but… 

Hopefully at this level, we can significantly improve our general play and keep it up the other end a bit more, have a bit more in midfield on and off the ball, create more chances and score more than the piss poor totals we had in the Prem, that was absolutely a major factor in our premiership survival. Unfortunately there are many more experienced over rated outfield players to worry about above a 21 year old who clearly has potential and will only get better year on year.

i agree that Prem football was probably too early for him as GK’s in particular generally take longer to mature to top level, but he is defo not shit and quite often the goals he had no chance with last season were made out on here to be mistakes by him. Got a bit ridiculous in the end 

In my opinion. 

He’s a kid Ed, needs time to grow and learn his trade. I think this is on Sport Republic overthinking once again when we could have got likes of Johnstone on a free last summer. By all means keep Bazunu but develop the player, don’t risk a serious promotion push on such a critical position. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

He’s a kid Ed, needs time to grow and learn his trade. I think this is on Sport Republic overthinking once again when we could have got likes of Johnstone on a free last summer. By all means keep Bazunu but develop the player, don’t risk a serious promotion push on such a critical position. 

Got to agree. Kid has lots of potential, but there’s a reason the best keepers in the top two tiers of Brit football are mostly not youngsters. We (and he) deserve better from the club.

• Like 3

Three far superior goalkeepers to Johnstone and Bazunu were available last summer. Neto, Leno and Henderson, moving to the three promoted clubs, so probably would have been open to coming here too. One cost £8m, cheaper than Bazunu, one was a free and the other a loan. Only issue is their resale, I guess, but then the Premier League money would have counteracted that. 

Forest didn't ignore the importance of a good goalkeeper by bringing in both Henderson and Navas.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

Is that Neville Southall ? 

Played against him when he managed Dover, used to play in a local league in centre midfield for a little while till they got rid of him. Nutmegged him as well which was a buzz. He couldn't run but the ball stuck to him if it managed to find him.

1 hour ago, Ribtickler said:

I rate this lad, has the minerals to be a top top keeper.  

That's all i will say on the matter

I noticed how porous he was last season!

Honestly though I was a big knocker of his last season and I do think a better keeper would have saved us some points, but had we stayed up I would have said we should loan him to the Championship for experience. Well now we're in the Championship so... sod it, he should play. At least until such time as he starts costing us points again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I noticed how porous he was last season!

Honestly though I was a big knocker of his last season and I do think a better keeper would have saved us some points, but had we stayed up I would have said we should loan him to the Championship for experience. Well now we're in the Championship so... sod it, he should play. At least until such time as he starts costing us points again.

That's alright then, the transfer window will still be open after the first game.

I think it's worth documenting on here how he does this year as he's seemingly first choice. Made a really basic error at his near post today in preseason to allow Goztepe to score. I think my concern about his performance is going to rise after that one. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think it's worth documenting on here how he does this year as he's seemingly first choice. Made a really basic error at his near post today in preseason to allow Goztepe to score. I think my concern about his performance is going to rise after that one. 

If we are serious about promotion we will need a new keeper.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, saintant said:

If we are serious about promotion we will need a new keeper.

He was crap last year. It’s obvious he’s not up to it and never has been since he joined. Not much point spending loads of money on new players if your keeper is shit, yet still we persist with him. God knows why as we seem happy confine other shit signings to the transfer bin but we persist with him in the hope he might come good. His positioning is poor, he doesn’t command his box and he doesn’t prevent goals. He’s a nothing keeper and we can and should be looking for a significant upgrade 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Just seen it.  He has no business being Saints goalkeeper.

Mara and Adams looked shite as well.  Mara just looks like he can’t be bothered.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Just seen it.  He has no business being Saints goalkeeper.

Mara and Adams looked shite as well.  Mara just looks like he can’t be bothered.

Mara, Armstrong, Adams and Bazunu are all part of last year's failure and if every one of them left tomorrow it would make no negative difference to the club. You could add Salisu to that as well. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Mara, Armstrong, Adams and Bazunu are all part of last year's failure and if every one of them left tomorrow it would make no negative difference to the club. You could add Salisu to that as well. 

I think that both Mara and Bazunu could have a future. Less so for Armstrong and Adams. We let in lots (way too many) of goals last season but Bazunu is only part of the reason for that. Our collective inability to track runners into the box or defend from crosses played a large part in that. He got almost no protection from his midfield and defence last year. That being said there needs to be a big improvement in both shot stopping and commanding his area from crosses.

It looks like he's bulked up a bit since last season. I still really want the kid to succeed here. Yesterday's goal was a shocker but these things happen and at least it happened in pre-season. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you think Mara will develop further here under this new regime or has it got to the point he wants out or not bothered to try?  He’s obviously talented but does he have the fortitude to progress?

It would be best to see a new no1 come in and McCarthy go. If Baz thinks he’s no1 then he needs a challenge to get there. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, coalman said:

I think that both Mara and Bazunu could have a future. Less so for Armstrong and Adams. We let in lots (way too many) of goals last season but Bazunu is only part of the reason for that. Our collective inability to track runners into the box or defend from crosses played a large part in that. He got almost no protection from his midfield and defence last year. That being said there needs to be a big improvement in both shot stopping and commanding his area from crosses.

It looks like he's bulked up a bit since last season. I still really want the kid to succeed here. Yesterday's goal was a shocker but these things happen and at least it happened in pre-season. 

With the availability of keepers I just don't see why we'd go through the bother and hard graft of developing a keeper who might be able to be decent eventually. We'd have been better off spending a few more million and buying one much closer to the finished article. It's not like keepers cost the earth and there were plenty of options (there probably still are.)

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

With the availability of keepers I just don't see why we'd go through the bother and hard graft of developing a keeper who might be able to be decent eventually. We'd have been better off spending a few more million and buying one much closer to the finished article. It's not like keepers cost the earth and there were plenty of options (there probably still are.)

Fair point.

10 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Do you think Mara will develop further here under this new regime or has it got to the point he wants out or not bothered to try?  He’s obviously talented but does he have the fortitude to progress?

It would be best to see a new no1 come in and McCarthy go. If Baz thinks he’s no1 then he needs a challenge to get there. 

I can see both sides of the argument but personally I'd bring in a new striker and probably put Tella in the team before Mara. I don't think he imposes himself on games enough and that's only going to get worse in a physical league like the championship. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I can see both sides of the argument but personally I'd bring in a new striker and probably put Tella in the team before Mara. I don't think he imposes himself on games enough and that's only going to get worse in a physical league like the championship. 

Agree with you on both Bazanu and Mara. Re Bazanu, his confidence looks screwed. There’s potential there but a loan out to L1 or L2 to a side pushing for promotion would enable him to regroup a bit with a more sensible workload and come back with more experience under his belt. 

Re Mara, same solution but different outcome. Hopefully a loan overseas to a Ligue 1 side where he’ll get games, hopefully a Tella effect and go on to recoup some of the crazy fee paid to Bordeaux off the back of that to build demand. Che needs to move on for everyone’s sakes including his own. Hopefully the rumours about several bottom half PL sides wanting him are true, recoup £12m or so and he will probably do a good job for them. Between the two of them that’s fee and wages on Piroe paid for (unless Everton go for him rather than Che, but I think Che is a Sean Dyche player).

Edited by Gloucester Saint

20 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Agree with you on both Bazanu and Mara. Re Bazanu, his confidence looks screwed. There’s potential there but a loan out to L1 or L2 to a side pushing for promotion would enable him to regroup a bit with a more sensible workload and come back with more experience under his belt. 

Re Mara, same solution but different outcome. Hopefully a loan overseas to a Ligue 1 side where he’ll get games, hopefully a Tella effect and go on to recoup some of the crazy fee paid to Bordeaux off the back of that to build demand. Che needs to move on for everyone’s sakes including his own. Hopefully the rumours about several bottom half PL sides wanting him are true, recoup £12m or so and he will probably do a good job for them. Between the two of them that’s fee and wages on Piroe paid for (unless Everton go for him rather than Che, but I think Che is a Sean Dyche player).

Confidence has nothing to do with shot-stopping.  Bazunu is shite.

30 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Mara is crap and be amazed if he does remotely well in the championship.

He is living off a pass against Leeds and a goal in the Cup

That is it

It’s hard to argue with your points or make much of a case for him based on what we’ve seen so far. But, and I’m not sure why, I still think there’s a player in there somewhere who could do well in the Championship. Yes he’s had his chances, but think he, and others like Sulemana, would benefit from a proper run in the team. If he still flatters to deceive then get rid, but maybe showing some belief in him will help his confidence and get him more involved in games. Not sure that will happen though. 

Back to the topic of Baz, he has had a good run in the team and it’s hard to make a case for him to be our first choice going into this season. Would like to see us bring in a more experienced keeper who will have more confidence and dominate the box. Can help Baz too, as sure in time he’ll be decent, just wasn’t ready to be thrown in at the deep end. 

7 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Confidence has nothing to do with shot-stopping.  Bazunu is shite.

Goal keeping is mostly mental. Without confidence, you do stupid things like predict instead of react. It looks similar to that goal vs. Goztepe where he predicted a shot to the far post and basically jumped out of the way of the ball. We all agree...that was a train wreck. 

• Like 1

I reckon you could name maybe three players that you’d want to keep, but I’d struggle to name five.

That’s how woeful our squad is.

Bazunu doesn’t fill me with confidence, but then again none of the team did last season. Midfield was non-existent which leaves the defence exposed. If that is improved and we develop a consistent form of formation and game play I’ll be a bit happier.

But you could replace 90% of our squad and it wouldn’t be a great loss.

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Mara is crap and be amazed if he does remotely well in the championship.

He is living off a pass against Leeds and a goal in the Cup

That is it

I agree but I thought he was one of our better players yesterday!

22 minutes ago, Badger said:

What was Bazunu doing for their goal yesterday?? 

Looks like he thought he would cross it and forgot to cover his near post.  Sort of thing you’d get hammered for in sunday league. It’s a typical bazanu goal to concede from a nothing shot. He’s a real penchant for conceding weird goals because his positioning and decision making are shit so he manages to contrive to concede from innocuous shots or headers. I fear he will be our number 1 next season which I would find incredible given how poor he is and makes promotion very tough. Surely anyone with an ounce of footballing intelligence can see that he’s not up to it

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu