Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

6 hours ago, Dirkdiggler said:

Who would the forum experts have in goal out of the 3 keepers we have?

They all have issues.

McCarthy. As you said they all have issues, but McCarthy has experience, has excelled at this level before with Reading and has even put in top performances in the Prem (not very often I admit, but still more often than Bazunu). 

I actually would have preferred none of them, wanted to sign a new first choice from a team down here already and loan Baz out, but it's obvious we aren't signing another keeper now. I've accepted he's now our number one but that doesn't mean I have to stop being critical. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dirkdiggler said:

Who would the forum experts have in goal out of the 3 keepers we have?

They all have issues.

None of them - probably try and convert one of the outfield players to play rush keeper as distribution seems the priority rather than saving shots- perhaps larios 

the point is the club has made a total hash of the GK position 

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

McCarthy. As you said they all have issues, but McCarthy has experience, has excelled at this level before with Reading and has even put in top performances in the Prem (not very often I admit, but still more often than Bazunu). 

I actually would have preferred none of them, wanted to sign a new first choice from a team down here already and loan Baz out, but it's obvious we aren't signing another keeper now. I've accepted he's now our number one but that doesn't mean I have to stop being critical. 

You cannot be serious. At the end of last season his performances were woeful. I cannot forgive that goal he let in at home to Bournemouth. A pathetic dribble of a shot that he didn’t react to until it had rolled past him

21 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You cannot be serious. At the end of last season his performances were woeful. I cannot forgive that goal he let in at home to Bournemouth. A pathetic dribble of a shot that he didn’t react to until it had rolled past him

Interesting you remember a mistake he made last season but you repeatedly defend on the numerous mistakes Bazunu made, including one goal palming it into his own net. 

Also interesting that the case for Bazunu this season seems to revolve around us being a league lower and him being more suited to this level but that doesn't apply to McCarthy, who has actually played and succeeded here before. 

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

McCarthy cannot play a single minute under Martin. I was there at the bournemouth game pre-season where he had an absolute shit show with the ball at his feet. Playing McCarthy would be an absolute disaster. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Interesting you remember a mistake he made last season but you repeatedly defend on the numerous mistakes Bazunu made, including one goal palming it into his own net. 

Also interesting that the case for Bazunu this season seems to revolve around us being a league lower and him being more suited to this level but that doesn't apply to McCarthy, who has actually played and succeeded here before. 

I remember everything.

Except when he is supposed to have palmed the ball into his own net. Please remind me.

I defend Bazunu not because he is good but because he is not bad. McCarthy has been bad for a long time. He has ballophobia.

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I remember everything.

Except when he is supposed to have palmed the ball into his own net. Please remind me.

I defend Bazunu not because he is good but because he is not bad. McCarthy has been bad for a long time. He has ballophobia.

Think you are confusing ballaphobia work saveofpjobia; the fear of making a save.

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He won us that game today, first time I've been able to say that with him as our GK.

As has been said, time to just back him. He is our number 1.

Spot on.
As far as I could see the save in the first half was a worldly and he made a couple of other decent stops as well.
An 8+/10 for me today.
We are definitely going through a lucky spell at the moment but, as the saying says, you make your own luck.

Just now, spyinthesky said:

Spot on.
As far as I could see the save in the first half was a worldly and he made a couple of other decent stops as well.
An 8+/10 for me today.
We are definitely going through a lucky spell at the moment but, as the saying says, you make your own luck.

That was the save that stood out for me, the one where the guy was offside just after? I think it was Chair who had that initial shot, such a good save.

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Solid game. Very good save in the first half and commanded his 6 yard box well. 

Whoever said McCarthy should be playing is so wrong it's laughable. Imagine him trying to play the ball out calmly like Bazunu did today.

There were a couple of those moments where your heart goes in your mouth as the ball is either underhit a little to the goalkeeper, or we've just invited too much pressure. He handled both very calmly. Since my heart was in my mouth, my natural reaction is that it was cleared too calmly, perhaps taking a risk, before realising that he knew what he was doing. 🙂 Yes, no doubt at some point we'll get caught doing it. But if it's very isolated, it's virtually nothing compared to all the times it starts off one of our attacks and helps keep the pressure on our opponents.

• Like 3

On 23/08/2023 at 07:03, musesaint said:

Too bloody right!

We have one of the best keepers in the Championship but the haters cannot stop hating once they have selected their victim. 

On 23/08/2023 at 07:13, AlexLaw76 said:

What have you got to back that claim up? 

On 23/08/2023 at 07:20, Nolan said:

Estimated Market Values?

image.thumb.png.4753536ec38f09d9d3d401b121ff5b03.png

😂😂😂😂😂

Just now, trousers said:

Rob Earnshaw on Sky giving him some benefit of the doubt... "Was partially unsighted and had one eye on the run of Bellingham on his right hand side and was half expecting a cross"

So essentially, he was trying to do a goalkeepers job and failed. Righto.

He wasn't unsighted at all anyway, the angle from behind the shot showed how early he could see the ball. 

Just now, Saint_clark said:

So essentially, he was trying to do a goalkeepers job and failed. Righto.

He wasn't unsighted at all anyway, the angle from behind the shot showed how early he could see the ball. 

It's utter bollocks. He got down to the but it went under his arm. It's just poor technique. 

• Like 1

He had a poor preseason but has been OK in the actual games before today. Honestly felt the defence had let him down and he had conceded some excellent finishes.

It was obvious that RM was going to like him as he is very good at doing the things a keeper can to stop shots in the first place (good with the ball, off his line and collecting crosses) and his shot stopping had been OK before today.

However, very poor so far today. Looks extremely lacking in confidence, especially in that parry on the freekick. He looks like he did at his worst last season again.

Seems to be a young player that needs confidence, but he doesn't have any.

I assume RM will believe the solution is to stick with him and build his confidence.

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

At fault for the third but its not a horrendous error, the critique of that is just overly biased

He’s been largely ok this season, if you’re going to blame him for that you have to look at the four (?) players around Ekwe (sp) that failed to cut or block the shot

It might be biased but it’s based on him rarely saving anything on target 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

It wasn’t

He's just a crap keeper. You very rarely see him make saves that he isn't supposed to make and on occasion he will fail to make saves that he should make. He doesn't inspire confidence, he isn't a leader or an organiser he's just not good enough. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

He's just a crap keeper. You very rarely see him make saves that he isn't supposed to make and on occasion he will fail to make saves that he should make. He doesn't inspire confidence, he isn't a leader or an organiser he's just not good enough. 

I agree he isn’t good enough, and he doesn’t have competition which doesn’t help

But I feel he does get overly slated at times, and that third goal IMHO wasn’t a ‘huge’ error

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I agree he isn’t good enough, and he doesn’t have competition which doesn’t help

But I feel he does get overly slated at times, and that third goal IMHO wasn’t a ‘huge’ error

We can nitpick over individual goals or saves but taken together in its entirety he just isn't a good enough keeper. Nothing we can do now but I just wish we had been a bit more ruthless. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

We can nitpick over individual goals or saves but taken together in its entirety he just isn't a good enough keeper. Nothing we can do now but I just wish we had been a bit more ruthless. 

Yeah probably, unfortunately however decided to sign McCarthy up (Semmens) on increased wages messed up any flexibility we had there

Bazunu needed to be the backup really… but nobody wanted McCarthy who is somehow worse

There is a real possibility we will go into the International break with the most goals conceded in the Championship. We finished last season with the second most conceded goals in the Prem. Of course it's not all his fault, but there are defenders in front of him that can be decent with a decent keeper behind him. Of course not every goal is his fault. I feel now analysing every goal is now redundant, as every stat over the long run (and also the eye test), he has heavily underperformed. 

• Like 3

I fully give up on him now.

I wanted to come into this season and give him an opportunity, was spurred on by Martin's comments but he is the same flappy goalkeeper who SO rarely makes an unexpected save to tip things in your favour. 

Two absolute howlers today, another from the free-kick that wasn't punished and maybe even the first two a competent goalkeeper does better with? My expectations are now so low that I'm willing to let the iffy ones slide.

Go throw everything at Kasper Schmeichel. Bazunu will cost us time and time again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Yeah probably, unfortunately however decided to sign McCarthy up (Semmens) on increased wages messed up any flexibility we had there

Bazunu needed to be the backup really… but nobody wanted McCarthy who is somehow worse

I'm sorry but money is not the issue here. We've just raised how much? Not getting someone else in could cost us promotion, now THAT would be a financial fuck up.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu