Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

9 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

The fact that we are still having debates on Bazunu in the Championship says it all for me.

In the PL, people were saying you ll see he ll be better in the champ as it is more his level.

The only thing that has got better this season is his distribution, which is actually very good now. But apart from that i still the same flows i saw in the PL as he doesn t do the basics right

On another note, Liz has 5 clean sheets in 8 games and saved a penalty in the last game.

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

On another note, Liz has 5 clean sheets in 8 games and saved a penalty in the last game.

In the Turkish second division though. I’m a bit dubious about the quality of attacker in that league!

can’t say many people would be happy with Lis as first choice. Another totally barmy signing.

1 minute ago, Stu Man Do said:

In the Turkish second division though. I’m a bit dubious about the quality of attacker in that league!

can’t say many people would be happy with Lis as first choice. Another totally barmy signing.

Lis was never a signing for us though, he was bought as a SR player and we are the vehicle for his movement around their other clubs. We will see more of this, signing of players who aren't ever going to play for us, but move out on loan to other SR clubs for their entire career. Not totally onboard wit it, but it's how these multi club models work.

9 hours ago, Stu Man Do said:

Player signed for Turkish second division side keeps lots of clean sheets. What's "totally barmy" about that? Sounds like a good signing to me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Lis was never a signing for us though, he was bought as a SR player and we are the vehicle for his movement around their other clubs. We will see more of this, signing of players who aren't ever going to play for us, but move out on loan to other SR clubs for their entire career. Not totally onboard wit it, but it's how these multi club models work.

So why sign him for Saints in the first place, why not sign him for the Turkish club directly or one of the other clubs? It doesn't really make any sense.

On 15/10/2023 at 13:48, HKsaint said:

Bazunu will bring us to the level where he belongs to. 

Bazanu bashing has gone on long enough, we all know who on here rates him and those  who hold him in contempt so why go around in circles saying the same old things in a dozen different ways. Balls do not end up in the back of our net solely because of the goalkeeper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Bazanu bashing has gone on long enough, we all know who on here rates him and those  who hold him in contempt so why go around in circles saying the same old things in a dozen different ways. Balls do not end up in the back of our net solely because of the goalkeeper.

You are correct. Ireland’s 4-1 win over Gibraltar proves it.

Edited by HKsaint

Kinda made this point before, but I just think the way we seem to be persisting with this young goalkeeper route is a waste of time..

the goalkeeper market is not that expensive . We could have picked up a decent ready to go keeper instead .. also the chances of us getting huge money/profits on the keeper isn’t that great even if he did turn out good ..

don’t mean to be harsh but he was a liability last season and doesn’t seem to be a lot better this,, the team suffers giving him time to learn the ropes and if he does end up reaching the potential most of us are not even seeing he will probably fuck off anyway :) is it worth it ?

When he goes for 30 million, we'll be sorry. Mainly as we'll be in the national conference by then. 🙂

If anything, the arrival of Wilcox, and another Man City link, has solidified Baz's place with the club. He's seen as key to our philosophy of having a goalkeeper who is very comfortable at the back, and who plays a key role in maintaining our possession game, with his distribution.

When he was still getting a game last season, I was wondering if we had to play him, as we had an agreement with City to develop a goalkeeper that suited what they wanted, without having to go through the pain as we have.

Oddly, just as his distribution was looking even better, Martin changed it a bit. Since I've not seen too much about his positioning against Rotherham, he's not done badly of late. Noted that those couple of games haven't had many shots on his weaker side.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HKsaint said:

You are correct. Ireland’s 4-1 win over Gibraltar proves it.

I mean, Gibraltar didn't actually have a shot on target. Dunno if even Bazunu could manage to let one in.

As a wider point, Bazunu isn't high on my shit list so far this season.

Manning has cost us more goals/points, as has Holgate - and definitely RM.

• Like 7

On 14/10/2023 at 18:36, Bad Wolf said:

Where was he supposed to be? If he'd been on his goal line and had a shot blasted to his right and in, people would be saying he should have been further out. But even if that was his fault, surely that's the kind of thing that comes with experience and absolutely no basis for claiming that he'll never come good.

When the ball is knocked down at the edge of the penalty area from a long ball? Ideally not 12 yards off his line in no-mans land, backpedaling, causing him to jump off-balance...

He's just not good enough in my view. Whether he will in the future is irrelevant, he is not good enough to start in the present.

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

When the ball is knocked down at the edge of the penalty area from a long ball? Ideally not 12 yards off his line in no-mans land, backpedaling, causing him to jump off-balance...

He's just not good enough in my view. Whether he will in the future is irrelevant, he is not good enough to start in the present.

Absolute bloody tosh, the amount of goalkeeper critics on here that do not have a bloody clue about goalkeeping but think they are experts is ridiculous. Saints threw the kid into the lions den last year and i'm surprised by his mental strength that he has come through it.

There is barely a goal this season that we have conceded that can be levelled against him. The prejudice of what happened last season has rolled over into this season for too many fans that need to move on from last season. This is a new season and Baz has done very little wrong so far. He is more than adequate to be our number one keeper at this level. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I disagree with you on the final sentence but I do appreciate that sentiment. My defences of him aren't really aimed at people who simply don't think he's good enough now. Like I said, I simply respectfully disagree with that. What my gripe is, is the comments such as "He'll never be good enough" etc. Which is just just baffling.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Absolute bloody tosh, the amount of goalkeeper critics on here that do not have a bloody clue about goalkeeping but think they are experts is ridiculous. Saints threw the kid into the lions den last year and i'm surprised by his mental strength that he has come through it.

There is barely a goal this season that we have conceded that can be levelled against him. The prejudice of what happened last season has rolled over into this season for too many fans that need to move on from last season. This is a new season and Baz has done very little wrong so far. He is more than adequate to be our number one keeper at this level. 

Sunderland's 3rd is about it.

And absolutely. The way he's been treated by our fans is nothing short of disgusting. That's not people who simply don't rate him - I mean the people who have made personal comments that if read, would possibly have a negative affect on someone's mental health. You just know it's the same people who were whinging about Tino "owing the club loyalty" or some shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

And absolutely. The way he's been treated by our fans is nothing short of disgusting. That's not people who simply don't rate him - I mean the people who have made personal comments that if read, would possibly have a negative affect on someone's mental health. You just know it's the same people who were whinging about Tino "owing the club loyalty" or some shit.

What a load of old pony. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Jesus wept.

18 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

He's been shown incredible support from fans at the games considering the level of his performances. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He's been shown incredible support from fans at the games considering the level of his performances. 

At games, maybe. But you don't think players read social media comments about themselves? And again, I'm not talking about simply "I don't think he's very good" I mean stuff like "That **** keeper starts again. Hope he gets injured so he doesn't play again"

I don't think Perraud was very good but I didn't go on social media wishing injuries etc on him.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Do you think Hull supporters would want to swap keepers? 

I don't know any so can't ask but they probably would happily swap. Both keepers made decent saves yesterday but Gavin was a better sweeper than their goalie. Both teams played passing football but their keeper seemed rooted to his line and  didn't  make himself as available for the pass back.

6 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I don't know any so can't ask but they probably would happily swap. Both keepers made decent saves yesterday but Gavin was a better sweeper than their goalie. Both teams played passing football but their keeper seemed rooted to his line and  didn't  make himself as available for the pass back.

They don’t play passing back like we do.

The first goal he had ready dived for it, it went through a crowd of legs and got a deflection, I think off Charles. The second was an unchallenged shot from six yards, which came from our own attack.

Anyone blaming Baz for those two goals is insane. It’s the team in front of him collapsing time after time.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

The first goal he had ready dived for it, it went through a crowd of legs and got a deflection, I think off Charles. The second was an unchallenged shot from six yards, which came from our own attack.

Anyone blaming Baz for those two goals is insane. It’s the team in front of him collapsing time after time.

LOL

the 2nd goal when right through him, from an angle

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’re just deluded at this point mate, that or you just love arguing against the (obvious) consensus

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

LOL

the 2nd goal when right through him, from an angle

Yes, that’s how you score a goal from an angle at close range. If he keeps his legs together there’s just loads of space either side of the, to tuck it past. He can’t grow an extra couple of legs, there is always going to be a space, which any decent striker will find. I know that sounds like witchcraft when you’ve been watching Che Adams for this long but trust me, it’s true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, the mark of a truly great keeper is whether or not he can nearly get his head on a last minute corner that then goes in via own goal. Consider me proven wrong.

His head is very similar to his hands, the ball skimmed off it. 

He caused confusion, which resulted in an OG. It was hardly Ron Davies territory and certainly not worthy of a blow job for lighthouse. God knows what he’ll want if Baz saves a penalty. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Decent keeper saves the first.

second straight through him.

Still not good enough

Yet he caused more panic in their defence when he got into their penalty area than our timid so called strikers. 

Sums up a lot wrong at SFC at both ends of the pitch. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

His head is very similar to his hands, the ball skimmed off it. 

He caused confusion, which resulted in an OG. It was hardly Ron Davies territory and certainly not worthy of a blow job for lighthouse. God knows what he’ll want if Baz saves a penalty. 

He went up for a set piece and got his head on it, which clearly deflected it in off Evans. Christ, if a Saints fan can’t just enjoy a moment like that in the last minute of injury time, I can’t help you. I’ll take that over our outfield players spooning it into the car park any night.

• Like 7

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu