Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He went up for a set piece and got his head on it, which clearly deflected it in off Evans. 

If it deflected in, it’s Baz’s goal. It clearly wasn’t, but if it makes you feel vindicated that he’s a good keeper,  go ahead and enjoy the moment.

It won’t be too long before we’ll be discussing whether he should have done better with another goal at our end. 

He made a good save ( perhaps his best for us?) but again he should be doing better with the first goal. He struggles with shots from outside the box at pace where he needs to get down to his left. See Sunderland and Middlesbrough. The second was more marginal but if you were being critical he should have been more advanced and narrowed the angle. Not sure why he turned away from the shot either.

Again he doesn’t make howlers and neither was but he doesn’t make enough saves for me. 

Did well at the end though but with a decent keeper tonight we steal three undeserved points.

They said at the beginning on the commentary he’s only had 5 or 6 clean sheets in 50 or so games ! The way we defend under Martin by the end of the season it will be nearer 5 or 6 in 80 or so games. 

6 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He went up for a set piece and got his head on it, which clearly deflected it in off Evans. Christ, if a Saints fan can’t just enjoy a moment like that in the last minute of injury time, I can’t help you. I’ll take that over our outfield players spooning it into the car park any night.

I enjoyed it, and was disappointed to see that it actually went in off Evans with little or no touch from Bazunu because how often is he going to get the chance to experience that. 

27 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

On pace to concede 85 goals this season.  

Whereas 5 games ago we were "on pace" to concede 109, so a marked improvement. We had 3 bad games where we conceded far too many goals (including Norwich), but take those games out and we are basically conceding a little more than 1 per game. Last 5 games, 5 goals conceded, and even the 2 last night were with a scratch defence, when we have had a settled (competent) defence we have not been the sieve that everyone thinks we are (Bednarek/THB). I must admit last night I thought PNE were likely to go on and get 3 or 4 once they got back in it but it didn't happen. 

Edited by VectisSaint
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Whereas 5 games ago we were "on pace" to concede 109, so a marked improvement. We had 3 bad games where we conceded far too many goals (including Norwich), but take those games out and we are basically conceding a little more than 1 per game.

Take out our 3 good games with our solitary clean sheet and 2 where we only conceded once and we are 'on pace' to concede 97.

• Haha 1

The best angle to judge the first was from behind the goal.  As the ball is dropping, he takes a step to his right to get sight of the ball, leaving too much of the goal to his left, had he taken a step to his left and therefore being more central I think he saves it - deflection or not.

The 2nd was a good finish, sometimes they hit you sometimes they don't, could he have been more off his line to shut the angle?  Probably.

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Watching it back and the first really is peak Bazunu

Not quite enough to be considered a howler but the majority of keepers probably just save it, nowhere near good enough and I’m truly fed up of him at this point

Exactly right & what is pointed out to his supporters over & over again. Even the bird on sky questioned whether he could have done better with the first. There’s a question mark on so many goals we concede but people hide behind the fact he doesn’t make many howlers. He’s played 50 times for us and I doubt there’s one opposing supporter in those 50 games who thought he had a really good game or wishes he was in nets for them. 

Even the one decent save he made yesterday came after his flappy superman impression from the preceding corner. Had he punched it properly, he wouldn’t have need to block it on the line. 

• Like 7

Statistically he was the worst shot stopper in the PL last season, and he is currently managing to match that achievement in the Championship - once again he is statistically the worst in the league.

We have no hope of getting promoted if he is in goal. From the last few seasons, the highest number of goals any of the promoted teams conceded was in the low 40s. We're currently on 24 already. That's partly down to the style of play and giving the ball away in bad areas, allowing teams to counter on us with a numerical advantage due to so many players being in front of the ball, but it's also because the goalkeeper is a complete liability when it comes to keeping the ball out of his net. It can't carry on, but at this stage I have lost all faith in either the manager or the club to do anything about it

Edited by Verbal Kint
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Verbal Kint said:

We have no hope of getting promoted if he is in goal. From the last few seasons, the highest number of goals any of the promoted teams conceded was in the low 40s. We're currently on 24 already. 

You are spot on about the teams getting promoted recently conceding only about 40 goals, although 2018/19 did see Norwich win the league conceding 57 and Villa get promoted through the play offs having conceded 61.

Top two of Leicester and Ipswich only let in 7 and 13 so far. 

25 minutes ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

Gavin Bazunu £20m goalie.

Who knows where would be with an average keeper in the net.

That's easy to work out.

With an average championship goalkeeper (average shot save % is 67.3%) facing the same amount of shots Bazunu has, we'd have conceded 19 goals so far this season, so would have conceded 6 goals less. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Probably we would be in exactly the same place as we are now, 3rd at best, but we would have a positive goal difference. But would an average keeper have salvaged a point with a headed equaliser against PNE?

Fair point perhaps, by perhaps  with the average keeper, a last minute equaliser might not have been necessary. 

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Fair point perhaps, by perhaps  with the average keeper, a last minute equaliser might not have been necessary. 

So we might have been 1 point better off, still only puts us level with Leeds and still an inferior goal difference (even with the 6 less goals conceded - their GD is 9). Its endless conjecture and completely meaningless, we are where we are and have a keeper who has conceded 6 in 6 which is probably (pretty sure without checking) better than average. So how does that work out? 

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

That's easy to work out.

With an average championship goalkeeper (average shot save % is 67.3%) facing the same amount of shots Bazunu has, we'd have conceded 19 goals so far this season, so would have conceded 6 goals less. 

If Bazunu had faced the same number of shots as he has, but they were all from 50yds+, we'd have conceded 0 goals so far this season, so would have conceded 25 goals fewer.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

If we ignore the quality of the shots faced (deflected shots and 1v1s after defensive failures), and ignore Bazunu's ability in possession (which is vitally important for the tactics of the team and far better than the average championship keeper), mouthbreathers can incessantly repeat "Bazunu bad" until the cows come home.

Edited by chiknsmack
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

If Bazunu had faced the same number of shots as he has, but they were all from 50yds+, we'd have conceded 0 goals so far this season, so would have conceded 25 goals fewer.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

If we ignore the quality of the shots faced (deflected shots and 1v1s after defensive failures), and ignore Bazunu's ability in possession (which is vitally important for the tactics of the team and far better than the average championship keeper), mouthbreathers can incessantly repeat "Bazunu bad" until the cows come home.

Ah the old "Bazunu has only faced worldie shots and unstoppable deflections" routine. I do so enjoy it. 

He's also amongst the lowest in the league for percentage of crosses claimed and just below average for rushing out to collect.

I agree though, he can pass it out to the defenders really well. Well enough to justify having a below average keeper in all other areas? I don't think so. But each to their own. 

He's shown improvement recently so hopefully it continues.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not very well....which all of the football world, who watched the game/incident, suggest

What was Baz doing charging out like that anyway. The only way the bloke scores from that situation is if the keeper drops a howler or gives away a penalty. One thing for sure, in the premier league a mistake like that gets punished 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What was Baz doing charging out like that anyway. The only way the bloke scores from that situation is if the keeper drops a howler or gives away a penalty. One thing for sure, in the premier league a mistake like that gets punished 

Totally agree it should have been a pen and Baz got lucky. However it's just not true to say he wouldn't have got away with it in the Prem. Jesus they have VAR and still totally screw up!!!

Three Premier League officials at the centre of a decision not to award a penalty to Wolves at Manchester United have been overlooked for this weekend's matches.

Wolves were denied a late penalty on Monday when United keeper Andre Onana crashed into Sasa Kalajdzic and failed to make contact with the ball.

United won 1-0 at Old Trafford.

Wolves boss Gary O'Neil said elite referees manager Jon Moss told him he "could not believe" the error.

It is also understood referees' chief Howard Webb, who is head of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), contacted Wolves officials after the match to apologise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What about rushing out like a headless halfwit to clatter the centre forward, where is he in that? 

Had the referee done his job, we’d be discussing another Baz hash up Saturday. 

...without VAR ....that's the sort of thing you can do and get away with in this division...

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Ah the old "Bazunu has only faced worldie shots and unstoppable deflections" routine. I do so enjoy it. 

He's also amongst the lowest in the league for percentage of crosses claimed and just below average for rushing out to collect.

I agree though, he can pass it out to the defenders really well. Well enough to justify having a below average keeper in all other areas? I don't think so. But each to their own. 

He's shown improvement recently so hopefully it continues.

Young keeper shows improvement... who'd a thunk it??!!

• Like 1

There was an article in the paper over the weekend about the Rotherham keeper who played a blinder against us and others this season. He’s just been capped by Sweden and is coming into his prime at 25. They picked him up on a free and whilst the Millers are struggling, he has shone. It does away with the notion that you can’t be a good keeper and have a great season playing behind a struggling team.

That’s the sort of keeper we should be looking for; someone who can keep us in games and win us points and and I think we would be more open to that, were it not for the fact we spent £12 million on Bazanu. It’s the sunken cost fallacy and it is incredible we spent that much on a young reserve keeper who being kind is still learning his trade whilst we try and get promoted. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Nobody is surprised by that, even people like me who are his biggest critics. 

Still no need to sign someone who is anywhere from 5-8 years away from being in their prime instead of just signing a first team ready goalkeeper.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Whoopee. One of the reasons we got relegated last year was that instead of signing a Premier League ready goalkeeper (like, for example, Nottingham Forest) we signed one who was demonstrably not ready and not at the required standard.

Bazunu improving now, a year and a relegation on, well, big fucking deal.

Who'd have thunk it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What about rushing out like a headless halfwit to clatter the centre forward, where is he in that? 

Had the referee done his job, we’d be discussing another Baz hash up Saturday. 

That would have kept you happy.

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Nobody is surprised by that, even people like me who are his biggest critics. 

Still no need to sign someone who is anywhere from 5-8 years away from being in their prime instead of just signing a first team ready goalkeeper.

56 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Whoopee. One of the reasons we got relegated last year was that instead of signing a Premier League ready goalkeeper (like, for example, Nottingham Forest) we signed one who was demonstrably not ready and not at the required standard.

Bazunu improving now, a year and a relegation on, well, big fucking deal.

Who'd have thunk it.

Ah the happy clappers in tandem, very sweet. 

If you weren’t so busy looking to jump on anything remotely positive you’d see I’m talking about an individual and not the club’s decision to sign him or play him, even though he’s still the best keeper we have. 

3 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Ah the happy clappers in tandem, very sweet. 

If you weren’t so busy looking to jump on anything remotely positive you’d see I’m talking about an individual and not the club’s decision to sign him or play him, even though he’s still the best keeper we have. 

Haven't you got something "abhorrent" to bawl your eyes out about, sweetheart?

• Haha 1

I wonder how many more goals we would've conceded this season with McCarthy/Lumley in goal trying to play out from the back? It would be a total shitshow.

I noticed yesterday just how calm/composed Bazunu is when he receives the ball. Despite his dodgy shot stopping, he must be one of the best keepers in the country at short & long range passing. Clearly incredibly important to RM. 

29 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

100% save percentage yesterday, truly one of the all time great goalkeeping performances.

Still the 2nd worst overall in the league. Definitely improving though, hope it continues. Be interesting to see how he does when he has some shots that aren't directly at him, whether his shot stopping has improved as well. 

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Still the 2nd worst overall in the league. Definitely improving though, hope it continues. Be interesting to see how he does when he has some shots that aren't directly at him, whether his shot stopping has improved as well. 

We must be in a fairly niche position that our back-up keeper from 17 years ago has a better save percentage in the league than our current number 1. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu