Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

The problem is Martin seems to be wedded to his 4-3-3 with 1 holding midfielder and the fullbacks pushing in to midfield to make a  2-3-5. But I am not sure we have the players to make that work.

We would undoubtedly be more solid playing 4-2-3-1 with Downes and Charles protecting the defence.  KWP is best as an attacking full back playing down the wing and cutting in or overlapping so we should let him do it. Maybe Manning can play the inverted fullback/midfielder role but I am not sure either is really good enough defensively to do it.

But if we are playing 4-3-3 it means the other fullback really has to stay back to make a 3 at the back or the DM has to drop back to make a 3 at the back as going 2-3-5 seems to leave us badly exposed at the back.

The way Citeh and Leicester play with one inverted full back means they end up in a 3-2-4-1 as one fullback stays back and the other pushes in to midfield alongside the DM.

Maybe it would work if Charles, Downes and Alacaraz are the midfield 3 with Charles dropping back between the centre backs, Manning moving into midfield alongside Downes, and Edozie, Alcaraz, Stu and KWP becoming the 4 behind Adarma or Adams.

A more orthodox 4-2-3-1 with attacking fullbacks and a double pivot to protect the defence would probably seem to suit our squad better though.  

How about being really radical and playing full backs as full backs and midfielders as midfielders - probably not hipster enough though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Its pretty fucking obvious that when RM talks about being "brave" he is meaning to keep doing what they are being coached, i.e showing for the ball, being willing to receive it in tight areas, have a calmness to pass around the opposition press and to maintain this despite the reaction of the crowd or circumstances in the same.

He and JW have said many times it takes brave players to play in this style because it isn't easy.

Obviously some are at the stage where whatever he says they will question it but to repeat - its pretty fucking obvious what he means.

Exactly.  If you're in our half of the field with the ball, and it looks tight to find a pass, it takes real courage to go for it rather than hoof. But going for it is much more likely to retain possession. It's just that when it doesn't you may get blamed for the goal.   Our whole season depends on whether the combo of skill levels our players have + the courage they can maintain to stick with this style of play can turn the tide. If you're Man City, you use this strategy to win everything.  We MAY be able to pull it off in the championship.  And when we see real signs of that (as happened in our opening game against Weds) it's pretty exciting.   Given that this is the strategy, it really is counter-productive for us not to get behind it.  Because otherwise we're literally making it harder for our players to do what they need to.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Exactly.  If you're in our half of the field with the ball, and it looks tight to find a pass, it takes real courage to go for it rather than hoof. But going for it is much more likely to retain possession. It's just that when it doesn't you may get blamed for the goal.   Our whole season depends on whether the combo of skill levels our players have + the courage they can maintain to stick with this style of play can turn the tide. If you're Man City, you use this strategy to win everything.  We MAY be able to pull it off in the championship.  And when we see real signs of that (as happened in our opening game against Weds) it's pretty exciting.   Given that this is the strategy, it really is counter-productive for us not to get behind it.  Because otherwise we're literally making it harder for our players to do what they need to.

Exactly. Its not going to change and its the start of a new way of playing. I remember when Brighton started it under Potter their fans hated it at first because they were used to Chris Hughton football. 

Instead of asking for a new manager every 5mins we may as well get used to the fact that as you say our season will depend on how quickly the players master this. That means it might help not to give them stick for doing what they have been instructed to do.

Our home atmosphere certainly doesn't help. The reasons are clear as to why fans are not happy as we have lost far too many games at home over a long period and got relegated but some patience is needed, somehow. Because at the moment it just helps the opponent.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

We didn't, it's basically just that Ipswich aren't as good at scoring goals as Leicester or Sunderland are.

How about watching a game of football and forming an opinion, rather than spouting the same shit the majority are spouting. It was much more pragmatic and tighter defensively, hence why Ipswich (who have been scoring for fun as a newly promoted team) were kept at arms length for most of the game. Our problem on Tuesday was that we didn’t show enough for the ball, providing few options for passes, as emphasised by Charles holding on to the ball too long for their goal. Much of the remainder of the game was controlled, but we continued not to offer enough options for the player on the ball. This, along with being more clinical, is all that needs to improve, and each game the squad play together the more it will show and we will become a consistently dominate team. Let’s start to give our managers a bit of support. We’ve spent the last 5/6 years booing them and where has that got us!! We asked for a style and identity and now we are trying to gain one the fan base want rid before it has been given a chance. How many new managers start a new style and have instant success - even Klopp at Liverpool had a really difficult start for probably half a season.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

How about watching a game of football and forming an opinion, rather than spouting the same shit the majority are spouting. It was much more pragmatic and tighter defensively, hence why Ipswich (who have been scoring for fun as a newly promoted team) were kept at arms length for most of the game. Our problem on Tuesday was that we didn’t show enough for the ball, providing few options for passes, as emphasised by Charles holding on to the ball too long for their goal. Much of the remainder of the game was controlled, but we continued not to offer enough options for the player on the ball. This, along with being more clinical, is all that needs to improve, and each game the squad play together the more it will show and we will become a consistently dominate team. Let’s start to give our managers a bit of support. We’ve spent the last 5/6 years booing them and where has that got us!! We asked for a style and identity and now we are trying to gain one the fan base want rid before it has been given a chance. How many new managers start a new style and have instant success - even Klopp at Liverpool had a really difficult start for probably half a season.

Ipswich should have been 3-0 up at half time - more luck and them missing clear chances than pragmatism. 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Ipswich hit the bar and missed at least 1 other golden chance....in the 1st half alone

Ultimately, how did keeping ipswich at arms length work out?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ipswich hit the bar and missed at least 1 other golden chance....in the 1st half alone

Ultimately, how did keeping ipswich at arms length work out?

So we are all going to ignore the chances we created then!! It is near on impossible to stop a team having any chances against you. The second half we hardly had a shot against us.

5 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

So we are all going to ignore the chances we created then!! It is near on impossible to stop a team having any chances against you. The second half we hardly had a shot against us.

yes, we had a couple of chances, but we were f-ing shite, slow, whilst playing awful football. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Let’s start to give our managers a bit of support. We’ve spent the last 5/6 years booing them and where has that got us!! We asked for a style and identity and now we are trying to gain one the fan base want rid before it has been given a chance. How many new managers start a new style and have instant success - even Klopp at Liverpool had a really difficult start for probably half a season.

We haven't spent the last 5/6 years booing managers.  That's revisionist bollocks.

I think if you ask most fans they didn't ask for a style and identity - they expect to win and, let's be honest, a decent manager gets a better tune out of the players than Russell Martin is currently doing.  We've never looked comfortable at any time under pressure, we've shipped more goals than anyone else, KWP looks lost as an inverted fullback, virtually every single goal has been self inflicted and we're not creating much in the way of chances or scoring much either.  If he hasn't cracked it by now then he probably won't get much of a chance - he's had an entire pre-season and now we're into two games a week his opportunities for coaching are limited.

I'm not criticising possession football and I appreciate you want to like the way he hopes we'll play, but I've got serious doubts over his ability to deliver it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Exactly.  If you're in our half of the field with the ball, and it looks tight to find a pass, it takes real courage foolishness, there are times you need to hoof to go for it rather than hoof. But going for it is much more likely to retain possession more likely get caught in possession . It's just that when it doesn't you may get blamed for the goal probably five goals In the last three games   Our whole season depends on whether the combo of skill levels our players have we have middling upper championship lower premiership players and some dross+ the courage they can maintain to stick with this style of play can turn the tide. If you're Man City, we are light years away from them you use this strategy to win everything.  We MAY be able to pull it off in the championship.  And when we see real signs of that (as happened in our opening game against Weds) we had Tella and JWP then  it's pretty exciting.   Given that this is the strategy, it really is counter-productive for us not to get behind it it’s difficult to get behind it when it seems suicidal at this level and with our resources .  Because otherwise we're literally making it harder for our players to do what they need to. I think it’s very harsh to blame the fans, I thought we were very good on Tuesday given the circumstances 

I admire your positivity but I generally disagree, see above 

30 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Chances? What game did you watch if you think we had chances? 

We had one where Adams smashed it as hard as he could because he's incapable of a composed finish. That was it. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

That's because Ipswich sat back because they were protecting a 1-0 lead .. and it worked.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Let's be honest pal, as far as 1-0 wins for an away side go, it was one of the most comfortable you're likely to see.

We literally created 1 clear chance. Just not good enough at home against who should be an inferior opposition. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

We haven't spent the last 5/6 years booing managers.  That's revisionist bollocks.

I think if you ask most fans they didn't ask for a style and identity - they expect to win

This is exactly the point. If you actually listened to Jason Wilcox then it would help your understanding.

The club believe that if you have a specific style and that players are coached and recruited for it then you are more likely to win over the medium/long term. In particular at PL level as a small club where if you chop and change all the time its very hard to generate sustained results.

Jason Wilcox has said when he came in January he saw he had no style, no strategy and that when we did win the odd game (like Leicester at home) it was mostly based on luck than any kind of specific coaching/playing success.

I get results in the last two weeks have been poor but the idea of coaching, playing, recruiting to a particular style is sensible and being successful at these things when you have been unsuccessful for ages, doesn't happen overnight.

I'm not saying Martin is going go get us promoted, or be a massive success. I'm saying that the change we are making is substantial, understood by the club, explained by the club and therefore lets see how it goes after another month or two. If its horrific then fair enough...but it might get better and we might finally have a strategy and plan after at least 2 years without one.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

This is exactly the point. If you actually listened to Jason Wilcox then it would help your understanding.

The club believe that if you have a specific style and that players are coached and recruited for it then you are more likely to win over the medium/long term. In particular at PL level as a small club where if you chop and change all the time its very hard to generate sustained results.

Jason Wilcox has said when he came in January he saw he had no style, no strategy and that when we did win the odd game (like Leicester at home) it was mostly based on luck than any kind of specific coaching/playing success.

I get results in the last two weeks have been poor but the idea of coaching, playing, recruiting to a particular style is sensible and being successful at these things when you have been unsuccessful for ages, doesn't happen overnight.

I'm not saying Martin is going go get us promoted, or be a massive success. I'm saying that the change we are making is substantial, understood by the club, explained by the club and therefore lets see how it goes after another month or two. If its horrific then fair enough...but it might get better and we might finally have a strategy and plan after at least 2 years without one.

Yes, I've heard everything Wilcox has said thanks.  It's not a lack of understanding, it's that I think he's probably picked the wrong man and the way that the style is being implemented has definitely been wrong. 

You seem to be buying into this narrative that it takes time but has to be implemented in full right at the start or it doesn't work.  I don't subscribe to that.  Martin will disagree but you absolutely can implement a style over time, you absolutely can see what players are capable of (and not capable of) and if it isn't working, then you shelve it until such time as you think it you can make it work.

• Like 2

Well here we are , and how very very Saintsy! 

About 10 games out last season I said we would finish either top 8 middle 8 or bottom 8 this season, depending on who we sold/who we bought/who we appointed as manager and all the rest of it. And we wouldn't really know till we had played 10 games.

None of this we walk this league/anything other than top 2 is unacceptable/play-offs minimum/best squad in the league etc.

Hate to say I told you so but here we are: all three options are still very much live.

Top 8 - very unlikely on current form, a major stepping-up is needed from RM and that needs to start tomorrow. 'If' we removed RM there are plenty of games left and a 'normal' manager ought to be able to get these players top 8. 

Middle 8 - lots of relegated clubs have fallen into this twilight zone, it's a long way back from here.

Bottom 8- unthinkable really but have you seen the last three games? If RM stays and doesn't alter his mindset this is where we are heading.

Best case scenario, we spaff a tenth of a Lavia and say thanks but no thanks to RM asap, and 'the new manager' kicks our arses into the top 6.

Worst case scenario, we continue with RM's arrogance and finish bottom 6.

I was really looking fd to this season for all the right reasons, it's gone sour really quickly and the only real focus is will, can, RM change his ways/will he get the boot/who will replace him and when.

Positives, unbelievably Bazanu has had a couple of decent games.

Jury's out, Downes, Adams as a champ striker, will we ever win at SMS again.

Negatives, too many to list.

It's the Saints Way, never easy, never dull. We do a little family prediction league, I have us down to win 3-1 tomorrow, no idea why, it's the hope that kills you.

(Back after game 10 to tell you if we will finish top8/middle8/bottom8) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think it's realistic to appoint someone like Martin, ask him to make wholesale changes and stick to his philosophy come hell or high and then expect us to go for automatic promotion.

We'd have been better writing off the season, crossing our fingers for playoffs with some good end of season form and then going again next year with a core of players who do understand the system and can implement it better. 

Company did a similar thing at Burnley and was successful. This season is not a write off quite yet. Automatic promotion looks tough, but we could still turn things around.

• Like 1

Massive game tomorrow even at this stage. Lose again and not sure what Martin can say after that and he’ll hardly have any credibility left. A win and he buys more time for things to come good. Think we will win as hopefully the penny has dropped that he needs a proper platform in midfield and he can’t have round pegs in square holes. Hopefully a better game than my last trip to the north east

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

Company did a similar thing at Burnley and was successful. This season is not a write off quite yet. Automatic promotion looks tough, but we could still turn things around.

Agree. Sometimes it takes a little longer for the manager's penny to drop and although we've been shouting out for Charles to play in a defensive midfield role and THB and Bednerek in central defence for a while, here's hoping RM might have noticed that in the second half of Ipswich we were fairly solid at the back. From there we can build.

Middlesbro won't define our season. But win this game and then Leeds and the season will look a lot rosier.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Agree. Sometimes it takes a little longer for the manager's penny to drop and although we've been shouting out for Charles to play in a defensive midfield role and THB and Bednerek in central defence for a while, here's hoping RM might have noticed that in the second half of Ipswich we were fairly solid at the back. From there we can build.

Middlesbro won't define our season. But win this game and then Leeds and the season will look a lot rosier.

Middlesbro. might not define our season but, given Carrik's predicament, a win is unlikely. If a tough fixture next week against Leeds is also winless will the season appear less rosy?

Im quite happy to play possession football but the key to play possession football is to keep the ball - that means players without the ball moving into space with enough time to control and pass to the next player - we are not playing possession football we are playing kamikasi mental football - passing when the pass isnt on because it gets cut out or the player doesnt have time on the ball 

Playing possession football poorly is relegation tactics not promotion 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, richardc said:

Im quite happy to play possession football but the key to play possession football is to keep the ball - that means players without the ball moving into space with enough time to control and pass to the next player - we are not playing possession football we are playing kamikasi mental football - passing when the pass isnt on because it gets cut out or the player doesnt have time on the ball 

Playing possession football poorly is relegation tactics not promotion 

This is one of the biggest issues and it is staggering that RM can't seem to fix it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Micky said:

I've just watched half of RMs press conference for this game, I have no fucking idea what the hell he was talking about, not a clue.  

See I don’t get this at all. I have a lot of concerns about Martin, but every press conference I have been impressed with what he’s saying.

I think the fans were against him from the start and as such he is on a hiding to nothing.

Unless we dominate every game and make no mistakes I think our fan base will be annoyed. It’s the current football fan psyche though - self entitled, arrogant and let’s be honest, thick as fuck.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Chez said:

It's not impossible no but its pretty unlikely now. We'd have to see a pretty sharp turn around in fortunes and plug those holes. 

7 minutes ago, maysie said:

See I don’t get this at all. I have a lot of concerns about Martin, but every press conference I have been impressed with what he’s saying.

I think the fans were against him from the start and as such he is on a hiding to nothing.

Unless we dominate every game and make no mistakes I think our fan base will be annoyed. It’s the current football fan psyche though - self entitled, arrogant and let’s be honest, thick as fuck.

Fans absolutely weren't against him from the start.  Look back at the Sheffield Wednesday reactions or the reactions after the Norwich game.  It's a myth.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, maysie said:

Not really. We just didn't want to be dicked 10-1 on aggregate over the last three games.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maysie said:

Some sweeping generalisations there plus stuff that you've simply made up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, maysie said:

were fans thick as fuck when they sniffed out Jones early on.

I know some of the enlightened amongst us said we should stick with jones, no matter what.

10 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Well here we are , and how very very Saintsy! 

About 10 games out last season I said we would finish either top 8 middle 8 or bottom 8 this season, depending on who we sold/who we bought/who we appointed as manager and all the rest of it. And we wouldn't really know till we had played 10 games.

None of this we walk this league/anything other than top 2 is unacceptable/play-offs minimum/best squad in the league etc.

Hate to say I told you so but here we are: all three options are still very much live.

Top 8 - very unlikely on current form, a major stepping-up is needed from RM and that needs to start tomorrow. 'If' we removed RM there are plenty of games left and a 'normal' manager ought to be able to get these players top 8. 

Middle 8 - lots of relegated clubs have fallen into this twilight zone, it's a long way back from here.

Bottom 8- unthinkable really but have you seen the last three games? If RM stays and doesn't alter his mindset this is where we are heading.

Best case scenario, we spaff a tenth of a Lavia and say thanks but no thanks to RM asap, and 'the new manager' kicks our arses into the top 6.

Worst case scenario, we continue with RM's arrogance and finish bottom 6.

I was really looking fd to this season for all the right reasons, it's gone sour really quickly and the only real focus is will, can, RM change his ways/will he get the boot/who will replace him and when.

Positives, unbelievably Bazanu has had a couple of decent games.

Jury's out, Downes, Adams as a champ striker, will we ever win at SMS again.

Negatives, too many to list.

It's the Saints Way, never easy, never dull. We do a little family prediction league, I have us down to win 3-1 tomorrow, no idea why, it's the hope that kills you.

(Back after game 10 to tell you if we will finish top8/middle8/bottom8) 

That's a long post to brag about the fact that you can predict we'll finish somewhere in the League, as if anyone gives a shit what you think. 

We're all waiting with baited breath for Game 10 though, because then we can relax and not bother watching for the rest of the year. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, maysie said:

It's absolutely nothing to do with my psyche, neither am I entitled, arrogant or thick as fuck,  I just have no idea what on earth he is rambling about.  None of the responses he gives makes any sense,  why not just come out and admit that there are problems instead of constantly saying the mood in the ground changes, and the players confidence drops when we go behind.  Those things probably happen because the fans know, and the players know that we will struggle to get back into the game playing the way we do.  Nothing to do with psyche, everything to do with form and tactics. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, maysie said:

Decent press conferences don't get you 3 points, or promotion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, St. Ciervo said:

3-1 Saints. They play best when we are at our lowest as a fan base, and they aim to dash dreams the moment we have an ounce of optimism. I would bite your arm off for a clean sheet, but it isn't in our stars. 

If that were true we’d still be in the premier league. They have become experts in taking us “lower” for quite a few seasons now. 

Edited by Toussaint

Watched the press conference and thought it was fine. He took the blame for the 3 defeats and said that they would tweak the way we play to make us better.

He mentioned about players being used to losing, which is what has been said on here a bunch of times. Then talked about how he's been brought in to change the culture which is true.

Let's see how we line up today and whether anything has been tweaked to improve the performance. 

• Like 1

Decent press conference imho. Hardly expect him to come out and say we’re sh1t and all is lost. Obviously put a more positive spin on things than we observers and fans might but given that he’s working there every day it’s not unexpected.

Interesting snippets for me were that he basically admitted that apart from Jack there isn’t a leader in the squad. Nothing we didn’t know but encouraging that the club recognise this (I.e. they might try and address it). 
He said he’s been speaking at length recently with Jason. No idea what’s been said but maybe the slightly less cavalier approach v Ipswich was a hint? Of course, we just need Jasons next conversation to strongly suggest never playing Aribo and playing Shea in midfield…

Interesting also that he specifically named Meghoma, SAA, Doyle and Dibling as the four youth players working extensively with the first team. And that Jason desperately wants a youth pipeline, something encouraging on the long-term front.

All in all, nothing in that to get your knickers in a twist about.

All that said, press conferences are irrelevant to the only thing that matters which is winning football matches. From what was said it looks like Jan and Downes are available and will hopefully return. That should hopefully mean Jan and THB in defence and please god Shea and Downes in midfield. If that happens I’m happy. That leaves 3 spaces to be filled by a combination of Kamaldeen, Fraser, ArmA, Edozie, Stu and Charlie (plus Che up front). We’ll all have different opinions about the best combination, but I suspect most of us will be happy enough.

My worry is that he’ll play ArmA as the 10, or even worse Aribo or Smallbone. Or Mara out wide again!

So long as he doesn’t do that, we should be good enough for a positive result. 
I think come 2 o’clock we’ll have a good idea how this afternoon will go.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Watched the press conference and thought it was fine. He took the blame for the 3 defeats and said that they would tweak the way we play to make us better.

He mentioned about players being used to losing, which is what has been said on here a bunch of times. Then talked about how he's been brought in to change the culture which is true.

Let's see how we line up today and whether anything has been tweaked to improve the performance. 

I suppose the worry is that if he's been brought in to change the culture then adopting tactics that leave us incredibly vulnerable to conceding goals and losing games isn't exactly the best way to go about it. 

Despite what he says, I imagine that he was hoping the players would've adapted quicker than they have.

• Like 2

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

I suppose the worry is that if he's been brought in to change the culture then adopting tactics that leave us incredibly vulnerable to conceding goals and losing games isn't exactly the best way to go about it. 

Despite what he says, I imagine that he was hoping the players would've adapted quicker than they have.

I think the players have adapted though. They then go rogue and do sensible stuff like try to be in positions where they can actually help the team. I do wander how much player support he has for his tactics. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

Decent press conferences don't get you 3 points, or promotion. 

No…but people claiming that they literally have no idea what he is saying is a reflection on them, not RM. All just part of the pile on until (if) we start getting results. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dig Dig said:

No…but people claiming that they literally have no idea what he is saying is a reflection on them, not RM. All just part of the pile on until (if) we start getting results. 

I've got no interest in what he says, or what people think about what he says. I'm only interested in what happens on the pitch. It's perfectly understandable though that people pull apart his off field propaganda though given the dire propaganda football on it. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

I've got no interest in what he says, or what people think about what he says. I'm only interested in what happens on the pitch. It's perfectly understandable though that people pull apart his off field propaganda though given the dire propaganda football on it. 

I don’t know what propaganda football is. RM has always played the same the way as a manager. He was hired to play that way and is trying to deliver it. Yes, the last 2 weeks of football have been awful. Remains to be seen if that’s a blip that will be forgotten pretty quickly or not. But the animosity on here is OTT. I get it’s a spill over from how bad we’ve been for the last 2 seasons. But that isn’t RM’s fault. 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

No shit? Every club that’s been relegated is “used to losing”, and every new manager is brought in to change the culture of the relegated club. It would be bizarre to think otherwise. “I’ve been appointed to continue the losing culture we’ve had around the club”, said absolutely nobody. 

I didn’t hear him mention this losing culture much until HIS team started losing. Jones said the same thing and got accused of passing the buck, what’s different this time, instead of the hair, and the delivery of the spiel what’s the difference?

We’re in a league lower as well. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic