Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

I think if we lose this - quite possible - it wont be far off the season being over. No one loses four in a row and goes up which makes it rathe unlikely in my view that we will be doing anything this year. What you want is some sign that we are starting to understand this system if we are refusing to deviate from it. We need a win first and foremost but more than that we need some confidence for other games that we are on kind of the right path and not going wildly off course. 

I think we'll have more chance here as we wont have the negativity of the Fans in the stands making the players more fractious.

Start almost the team that finished the Ipswich match.

Start with the flair players like Sulemana and Alcaraz to give them the chance to fight for a lead, rather than to attempt to claw the ball back. 

Bazunu 

KWP          Bednarek               THB               Manning                    

Charles

Alcaraz                   S Armstrong

Edozie                                                                   Sulemana

A Armstrong

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I think we'll have more chance here as we wont have the negativity of the Fans in the stands making the players more fractious.

Start with the flair players like Sulemana and Alcaraz to give them the chance to fight for a lead, rather than to attempt to claw the ball back. 

Bazunu 

Charles

Edozie                                                                   Sulemana

A Armstrong

Far too sensible a line up. Mad Russ won't play anything of the sort. Quite clearly that team should beat 95% of teams at this level and the fact Martin won't pick our strongest 11 is quite frankly baffling. 

Maybe it's the fluoride in the water sending him doolally.

• Haha 1

I don’t care what happens at Middlesbrough. A win will only prolong “the project” and reinforce the three amigos belief they are on the right track. A loss and we’ll hear more desperate  ranting from Russell, ( he is clearly massively out of his depth and suffering, which isn’t nice to witness).

I deeply regret spending money I probably shouldn’t have on a season ticket. 

ps Rambo W.Ankersons grubby little “let’s break it” paws are all over this demise and he seems to be getting off very lightly. 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

Most of you have picked the team that I would of selected to start the game vs Boro.

I want them from the keeper to pass it to KWP who passes to Bednarek and him to Charles, THB, Manning and repeat it 20 times before Charles gives it to the Boro striker who hits it through Bazunu.

Then Russell steps up and claps to give Charles some encourage and then does a downward motion to say stay calm.

This is great football and I’m super jealous of all those lovely fans travelling up to watch it.

Boro 2 Saints 1 (OG)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Bazunu 

Charles

A Armstrong

Yeah must be the Saints fans who made the players nervous at Sunderland, get a grip 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Bazunu 

Charles

A Armstrong

You say we are more likely to win here as we won't have the negativity of the fans. Whay happened at Sunderland then?????????????

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

You say we are more likely to win here as we won't have the negativity of the fans. Whay happened at Sunderland then?????????????

Mason Holgate had a shocker, which from what I hear came about due to limited or no training time with the team.

Edited by Nolan

A draw at best. We can only compete against Bitton 8 teams witch have -4 to -9 goal diff. So that's 16 draws plus our 10 points gives 26 points. Max if we win 5 games all season maybe 42 to 49. I just can't see any improvement due to possession football which is essentially a tactic to waste 80% of tge game in hope of a break or counter attack. Different formations and players swapped in different positions won't help either as the basic starting point of DONT ATTACK and wait until one of 3 shots on target go in. I would rather see long ball boot it in the box

Borough 0-0 Saints

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

Bazunu 

Charles

A Armstrong

That's the exact same team I posted except I wouldn't have Adam Armstrong anywhere near the team. 

• Like 2

I feel somewhat relieved that I'll be unable to watch or follow this one on Saturday.

Can't think of one game where Saints have looked comfortable since the opening day of the season and after 3 poor defeats the Middlesbrough game now is pretty much a "must win". After the Reading friendly I was quite optimistic. Almost funny how things have changed so quickly for both teams.

Hopefully the knock to Adam Armstrong will help RM clear up the mess of one his mistakes in this game at least.  Making him captain and shoehorning him into one of 3 central midfielders doesn't work. He doesn't make the first 11 in my book. He's better off the bench for high pressing, high energy impact. Martin has made it difficult to restrict him to that role. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Stop trying to make excuses for the useless performances, blaming the fans ffs you muppet 

Given the lukewarm turgid dogshit served up last night I actually thought the fans were very good, particularly second half. If the Board expect more than that in the current predicament they may need to attend some ‘neutral’ football matches and seek psychiatric help. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Nolan said:

Bazunu 

Charles

A Armstrong

Adam Armstrong as the lone striker 🙂

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We’ll probably win, but they are fecking awful at the moment, but won’t change the fact that Martin is clueless.

a win will be by fact of having better players.

I'll be amazed if we win. A draw at best judging by our current form and the manager's ineptitude.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Stop trying to make excuses for the useless performances, blaming the fans ffs you muppet 

I remember when Cortese brought in the thinking of "small margins" where little adjustments on many things could make the world of difference.

Those who choose to boo are certainly not helping the situation.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We won't win. 

Winning involves scoring goals.

Winning involves not passing the ball around our area until one of our players just gives it away.

Winning involves picking best player for each position.

Winning involves picking a player capable of captaining the team, not a misfit.

Winning involves playing above walking pace, making decisive passes.

RM doesn't know anything apart from his stupid "system" in which the only way to win is to get a bit lucky. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

We won't win. 

Winning involves scoring goals.

Winning involves not passing the ball around our area until one of our players just gives it away.

Winning involves picking best player for each position.

Winning involves picking a player capable of captaining the team, not a misfit.

Winning involves playing above walking pace, making decisive passes.

RM doesn't know anything apart from his stupid "system" in which the only way to win is to get a bit lucky. 

Pretty much hit all the points! Get a proper captain. Pick the best players and put them in their proper positions. Stop messing around with it trying hundreds of really risky passes until something goes wrong. How many times does this need to happen and we lose before this is taken on board? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Oggmonster said:

Bazunu

THB      Charles

KWP  Manning

Aribo      Smallbone

Fraser        A. Armstrong         Edozie

Adams

What the fuck was he thinking.  I think he should have been sacked at half-time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

I remember when Cortese brought in the thinking of "small margins" where little adjustments on many things could make the world of difference.

Those who choose to boo are certainly not helping the situation.

To be fair to Cortese his first actions following the Liebherr takeover were to appoint an ex-premier league manager and recruit a number of the best experienced players from the league we were in and that above. Immediately the fans could see improvement, ambition and positive momentum. How were our fans at the JPT final - the miserable indulged arseholes? In his entire time at the club, despite his human shortcomings (sic) as a Chairman, he didn’t have to worry about grumbling fans, and his ‘small margins’ focused on pillows, mattresses and ice sculptures. Maybe Rasmus and Kraft should have a chat with him on teams, bit of life/business-coaching and a discussion on closing the big margins. :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Oggmonster said:

Bazunu

THB      Charles

KWP  Manning

Aribo      Smallbone

Fraser        A. Armstrong         Edozie

Adams

Fuck off Russell! 😂

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The inevitable win for the opposition when they are struggling for form. 

4 defeats on the bounce would be the death knell of any promotion push, by October - I was looking forward to this season, but it could be all over before Firework night at this rate.

I think we'll win, the players know they have to or the gap just becomes too big (let's not ignore our minus goal difference on top of it all - everything is so miserable right now)

7 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

We had pretty much close to 2k fans at Sunderland and I can tell you before kick off in this game it was very positive and upbeat. Russell Martin came over and clapped us before the teams came out, and pretty much from the 6th minute of that game at 0-2 down the great start to the season flipped on its head. 

They will get good support again, but it will turn, if things start to go wrong again on the pitch. We need to take the lead for sure. 

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

This team picks itself, surely

I don't think it does. I'm not convinced yet by Kamaldeen or even Alcaraz, they have flattered to deceive. Also don't see Downes as a shoe-in from his performances so far (and will he be fit anyway). Armstrong (S) to me should be a starter.

Don't think this will happen but it may be that Manning could play MF (he has done a lot in the past, it wouldn't be playing him out of position) and getting Larios in at LB.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic