Saints 4 actual goals vs 0 Blackburn - Match Thread

Convict Colony

Much better to watch, I really enjoyed that today, it was a bit more mixed up with plenty of the patient build up play mixed in with some incisive passes and running.  Very nice.

Bree is a much better full back than Manning for the players we have in front of him and Aribo has been a pleasant surprise recently too. More of that please! 

4 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Don’t worry too much, I was there and left 4 mins into stoppage time and missed 2 goals 😫

Same here, Mrs had a Xmas work do, so left just as extra time was announced. Heading back to the car, passing end of stadium,heard a large roar from the corner of itchen, thought it was away fans celebrating. Mixture of relief and annoyance that I’d missed two bloody goals in extra time, hope the wife has a good meal 😡

Very enjoyable watch, from the 1st minute until the 98th, there was the tempo, intensity and the GOALS many have been craving to complement the possession and the complete dominance Saints had all afternoon.

Well done to Martin for the way he set up the team.    Playing S. Armstrong and Airibo as the attacking midfielders worked - they were both outstanding, particularly Stu.    Now that Airibo is fitter you can see what a quality player he is, at Championship level.  Switching KWP to LB paid off; he's such a good player, virtually operating as another AM with little defensive work to do.    Bree relished his more natural role and showed his athleticism in getting up and down the line.    We shouldn't be seeing Manning returning anytime soon.   If KWP does go to West Ham (let's hope he doesn't) then a LB replacement will be needed.

Edozie was excellent, benefiting from the quicker tempo and providing the run and quality of cross.   While THB, Bednarek and Downes had little to do, all were solid and composed with Downes easily managing the holding midfield role on his own.     Smallbone still frustrates me.   I'd like to see him take the game on more, especially in the more advanced role he played today, a role I was hoping to see Alcaraz play more minutes in, yet it would be harsh to criticise Martin or any Saints player on a thoroughly entertaining and uplifting afternoon.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Watching this, it appears that a lot of non-Saints fans don't like RM very much. 

Most weeks I have a little browse over the opposition's forum to get a feel to how they see the fixture coming up, one thing you do notice, all messageboards have the same moaners, bullshitters and fuckwits. But one standout is that the majority of these Championship fans really dislike RM. Most don't rate him or his tactics and he's seen as arrogant and a bit of a *insert your expletive of choice* and only doing well as hie's got a big money squad.

I like him, he's been through a bit in his time and I can understand rivals views - I can't lie, personally I don't find this football 'exciting', it's effective with these players most weeks in this division and you can't moan too much with results/league position but I did think I'd enjoy this season more than I actually am up to now..

• Like 1

We cut out the needless keep ball and look what it produced, could have be 6 or 7
Fantastic performance, playing with so much more tempo, continually creating chances and taking them.

This is what we should be producing with our squad and long may it continue 

Well done RM, more of the same please 

• Like 2

I imagine that Russ, like most football managers, won't care a jot what other teams' fans think of him. He's shown that he's stubborn enough to stick to his own philosophy regardless of the opinions of his own fans, let alone others. He's out to try and win games and promotion, not a popularity contest.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

We cut out the needless keep ball and look what it produced, could have be 6 or 7
Fantastic performance, playing with so much more tempo, continually creating chances and taking them.

This is what we should be producing with our squad and long may it continue 

Well done RM, more of the same please 

Indeed, but sadly he will tinker and will end up back to keep ball next game. This is why it is such a frustrating season. Yeah yea yeah, we are doing well and all that, but look at what could have been if he would eat humble pie and quit with the silly over passing stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I find with our style of football, that if we are not winning, the possession based, "tippy-tappy" thing is very frustrating, however, if we are winning I love it! Beating teams AND not letting them have the ball is fantastic to watch! Fine lines I suppose. We were so superior to Rovers yesterday.....it really was men v boys.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Totton Saint said:

Just seen on the you tube paltry highlights  Bree's superb corner that lead to a goal. What a change to see us converting a corner at last.

It's taken long enough...and with that our set-piece coach is naffing off

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23995177.southampton-coach-andreas-georgson-set-leave-club/

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

It's taken long enough...and with that our set-piece coach is naffing off

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23995177.southampton-coach-andreas-georgson-set-leave-club/

When he was appointed the talk was of him being mostly involved with defending set pieces, not attacking. Can hardly blame him for "naffing off" if its for a better job, i.e. manager.

Edited by VectisSaint
  • Like 1

......this was bread and butter Championship football.   The sort of game that needed a good scoreline (best of the season).

If we are to get promotion we need to put games against mid-table sides to bed early on, and Sam Edozie's 44th min. knee-in 

was just reward for a highly dominant first half.      Would have been more just - if we' d 3 goals at HT. 

Blackburn looked tired and devoid of ideas and playing the last 40 minutes with 10 men did them no favours either.

Added time ...was like a training game at Staplewood and I'm glad that Alcaraz and Mara finally got on the scoresheet as they haven't

raised much dust so far this season.   I'm still not convinced that either of them will make it in this league,  let alone the Prem.

YES.. they are young, but strikers need to score goals and their previous efforts have been too little and not often enough.

Looking at this season's scorers, a dozen players have contributed but we are still too reliant on Adam Armstrong with no obvious back-up.

Truly excellent showing from Stuart Armstrong who might have won his first half penalty shout on another day, but he put in a top

performance turning up all over the field.  It's taken a while for him to get back to 100% fitness, but of late he has played as well as ever.   

We've finally caught up with Leeds, but with 12 points to play for by 1st January, this period might be make or break if we catch the top two.

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Just seen on the you tube paltry highlights  Bree's superb corner that lead to a goal. What a change to see us converting a corner at last.  Anyone got longer highlights please,

So sorry match not on TV to 

It could well be imaginationbut I think the difference was that Bree’s corner was almost driven in rather than lofted, which seem to be the trademark of Mannings corners. They just give the defence time to think about what they’re going do and react, corners don’t seem to have given us the advantages they should have done.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

It could well be imaginationbut I think the difference was that Bree’s corner was almost driven in rather than lofted, which seem to be the trademark of Mannings corners. They just give the defence time to think about what they’re going do and react, corners don’t seem to have given us the advantages they should have done.

Apart from the one he chipped straight to their player on edge of the box first half - which looked like a pre planned move to find Smallbone - or the short corners he also tried.

I saw KWP take over one corner LW side and shouted at Sam to come over for a short one at one point first half, also saw AA sprinting over for a short corner again LW side another time when Bree was taking. There seems to be a lot of variation and flexibility in our corner taking, including who takes them, short or long, lofted or driven. It used to be fairly predictable with JWP but not so now. Perhaps explains why we scored for first time in 27 years from a corner😂

Edited by gio1saints

Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. They don't come much better than this. Well done lads, well done coaches. The best is yet to come surely but this was an impressive performance by any measure.

What was really pleasing to me was the genuine bonding and togetherness of this squad even amongst the so-called fringe players, if that is the right term to use these days of 16 on-field players for every match. The congratulatory team hugs and broad smiles from everyone that greets each goal speaks volumes and tells us all we need to know.

If this level of performance can be maintained then this team is heading in one direction only. Can you really see KWP being seduced away by the Hammers in January when clearly he is having the time of his life?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

. Can you really see KWP being seduced away by the Hammers in January when clearly he is having the time of his life?

The prospect of greater £, Premiership and European football, and back nearer his London roots. No of course, no chance of him being enticed away. 

Hope he is prepared to give us the rest of the season and see where we are then.

Edited by Badger

4 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Watching this, it appears that a lot of non-Saints fans don't like RM very much. 

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Interesting, thanks.

I can’t disagree with anything he said.

No idea about the criticism of their own players and tactics, but thought his comments re us, Alcares, and RM were fine. Stupid penalty, although otherwise I rate CA and hope he’s learnt. 

RM does seem to wind up opposition fans, possibly because they like us - wonder-  how he’s managed to progress without any real achievement  at previous clubs. Could understand the opposition view of Jones who was a prickly individual on the touchline. Can’t  say I’ve noticed any antics from RM, but if he comes across as a Billy Big-Bollocks you can see the resentment. 

42 minutes ago, Badger said:

No idea about the criticism of their own players and tactics, but thought his comments re us, Alcares, and RM were fine. Stupid penalty, although otherwise I rate CA and hope he’s learnt. 

RM does seem to wind up opposition fans, possibly because they like us - wonder-  how he’s managed to progress without any real achievement  at previous clubs. Could understand the opposition view of Jones who was a prickly individual on the touchline. Can’t  say I’ve noticed any antics from RM, but if he comes across as a Billy Big-Bollocks you can see the resentment. 

It's a matter of respect and being magnanimous in victory. 

Edited by Whitey Grandad

RM always goes to the Northam and gives a shout out to support every time we win. It wasn’t anything g about blackburn - Though they would not know that so it could be seen as over celebrating. 
Im 100% confident he was not intending to be disrespectful to Blackburn and 100% confident he was just celebrating and acknowledging the support of our most vociferous home fans in yhe Northam. To be otherwise would be cheap and pathetic and he’s just not that person. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Just checked and that's our biggest league win since we won by the same scoreline at Sunderland a couple of weeks before the EFL Cup final - nearly 7 years ago!

Also our biggest home win since we beat Arsenal 4-0 on Boxing Day in 2015 I think.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

RM always goes to the Northam and gives a shout out to support every time we win. It wasn’t anything g about blackburn - Though they would not know that so it could be seen as over celebrating. 
Im 100% confident he was not intending to be disrespectful to Blackburn and 100% confident he was just celebrating and acknowledging the support of our most vociferous home fans in yhe Northam. To be otherwise would be cheap and pathetic and he’s just not that person. 

Everyone who has seen games this season will know that it is a standard routine from RM  to go up and thank the fans, and they respond with a cheer. 

The fact that the (highly vocal) Northam End is beside the away fans seating area is coincidental.. or simply just unfortunate.  

I don't believe he is disrespectful to opponents... but he seems to leave that for the  match officials on occasions.  At least he shows some fervour. 

Edited by david in sweden

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

You sound like Russ’s big brother; or his mum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fanimal said:

Quite funny watching the bin dippers trying to emulate our style of passing out from the back using the keeper as a sweeper…

So much for Premier League leaders 

Practice makes perfect, we could be the best in the world at the passing game next season?

[P.S. We still have to keep the ball out of our net and find a way of putting it in their net of course.]

Had we played them yesterday we might have beaten them.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 1

Everyone was superb yesterday - my MOTM was Stuart Armstrong, just pure class in everything he did and a lovely finish to top it off :) Happy for Edozie to grab his second of the week, Carlos and Mara grabbing goals too :) Having Downes back was massive, he is class :) Great to see Jack back too :) exciting to watch, we totally dominated the game. Brilliant gameplan and subs too from RM :) COYR 

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1