Saints 4-0 Walsall - Match Thread

SaintBobby

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I have a nasty feeling this might be our banana skin.

We were ineffective against Norwich when they had 8 outfield players in their box and just couldn't create anything. If Walsall employ the same tactic we might have the same issue and then, in true saints fashion, be caught on the break and concede a soft goal.

To be fair we seem to have sorted out this issue at home. Granted it's still a problem away from home though.

We should play a first team as deliberately fielding a second team knowing the outcome won't likely be z win us pointless. This tactic is now standard for now standard for many reams and resulted in huge empty stands as fans think what's the point. I won't be happy watching a leaque 2 team turnover Saints, handed a free game.  Saints 1-0. 

8 hours ago, sad saints fan said:
 Rather amused that Chris Sutton has Walsall    down to win 2-1 in his FA cup predictions    

If we make huge changes and disrupt the team momentum too much, he could well be right and RM probably would not care.

Edited by east-stand-nic
spelt disrupt wrong

51 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

If we make huge changes and dispurt the team momentum too much, he could well be right and RM probably would not care.

Really don't agree with picking a team that will just about beat a lower division club. Never forgave Poch for that Sunderland team. It could ruin the positive momentum we've built up and the schedule is currently once a week for the next few weeks so the 'resting players' reasoning is not valid. If anything, it gets them out of match practice.

• Like 3

I'm a big lover of the FA Cup, but just isnt a priority for us this season. Gives match time to the likes of Stephens, Charles, Smallbone, Alcaraz, Mara, Fraser, and a few of the kids a run out, Sam Amo, Dibling, Meghoma...

Can't say I'd be that upset if we went out though.

Id like to see the majority of the side made up by those usually on the bench plus a few youngsters. Would be great to keep the momentum and the unbeaten record going. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

20 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'm a big lover of the FA Cup, but just isnt a priority for us this season. Gives match time to the likes of Stephens, Charles, Smallbone, Alcaraz, Mara, Fraser, and a few of the kids a run out, Sam Amo, Dibling, Meghoma...

Can't say I'd be that upset if we went out though.

The fact they've scheduled the FA Cup final on the same weekend as championship play off final devalues it, they clearly don't expect teams in our position to be there despite Sheff Utd going close last year. 

If we play those players listed plus an experienced keeper (does Lumley count as experienced?) we should be ok. Shame it sounds like Holgate is on his way out as its just the sort of game he'd feature in. 

If we lose I'd be more annoyed at the reputational damage, loads taking young kids to the game including myself, a dour defeat at home to Walsall isn't exactly the best recipe to get them hooked. Looks like we'll have a decent attendance, around 22k I reckon. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JRM said:

Chapel stand now open, good effort from the fans for this one. 

Just the 3 central blocks behind the goal and looks like they’re only selling every other row. Should make it a little more full. Chapel corners still shut off.

Looking like a reasonable attendance and it’s the same price for walk-ups on match day so that will likely boost it.

58 minutes ago, JRM said:

The fact they've scheduled the FA Cup final on the same weekend as championship play off final devalues it, they clearly don't expect teams in our position to be there despite Sheff Utd going close last year. 

If we play those players listed plus an experienced keeper (does Lumley count as experienced?) we should be ok. Shame it sounds like Holgate is on his way out as its just the sort of game he'd feature in. 

If we lose I'd be more annoyed at the reputational damage, loads taking young kids to the game including myself, a dour defeat at home to Walsall isn't exactly the best recipe to get them hooked. Looks like we'll have a decent attendance, around 22k I reckon. 

It would be very funny if one of the two Championship play-off sides reach the FA Cup Final. I'd enjoy the thought of the FA big wigs rushing around in a blind panic. It won't happen though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

Hi guys. On the Saints website  every time I try to book a seat it says requested url not found on this server. Do you think I will be ok for a walk up ticket? Cheers.

Phone them 02381780780 just helped me sort my Rotherham tickets. The OS ticket site awful.

• Like 1

I like to have a nose on the boards of the sides we’re facing next and it’s not uncommon to see someone bring up the ‘strike-breaking’ fairytale. Amazing how some mythical event invented in a skate fanzine all those years ago gained so much traction and spread. You have to tip yer hat to them really.

https://upthesaddlers.com/t/southampton-sold-out/10938

post #88

6 hours ago, saintant said:

It would be very funny if one of the two Championship play-off sides reach the FA Cup Final. I'd enjoy the thought of the FA big wigs rushing around in a blind panic. It won't happen though.

Or both sides. Maybe to save the faff of playing twice the winner of the first half can have the FA Cup and the winner of the second half have promotion.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Or both sides. Maybe to save the faff of playing twice the winner of the first half can have the FA Cup and the winner of the second half have promotion.

Saints v Leeds in the FA Cup final on Saturday and then the play off final on Monday? Sounds good to me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

I was wondering that, hope the train line from London is all OK!

Most of the flooding is clear now, roads seem ok, I was in London for work yesterday, nightmare getting back. 

I think engineering work (AGAIN) this weekend around Woking, trains from Waterloo to Southampton diverted via Havant taking longer.

Depending where you live might be better to go Paddington- Reading , then Reading - Southampton 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Walsall's nickname is The Saddlers 

Walsall's manager is Mat Sadler 

That can't be a coincidence can it? 

Spooky. 

Southampton's nickname is the Saints.

The main character in the Saint was driven by a character played by Roger Moore.

Roger Moore's initials are RM.

Southampton's manger is Russell Martin.

Russell Martin's initials are RM.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, egg said:

Spooky. 

Southampton's nickname is the Saints.

The main character in the Saint was driven by a character played by Roger Moore.

Roger Moore's initials are RM.

Southampton's manger is Russell Martin.

Russell Martin's initials are RM.

Scully, is that you?

1 minute ago, suewhistle said:

Huh! You should see our grass roots park pitches!  A sea trout, a lost bass, and three mullet.

I’m meant to be reffing in Hamble Sunday…should I bring a snorkel? 😄

11 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

RM's pre-match press conference reveals that Sam Edozie will be out for the rest of the month

Where is it available to watch / read? Cannot see it anywhere on OS or online 

Edited by gio1saints

FA cup, Russ says it’s the best cup competition in the world. A cliche but maybe it is for us Brits. I started supporting Saints as an armchair and then student supporter, back in the 1970s. The challenge is to play the reserves supplemented as needed by first team players. The magic combination and the desire to win. Come on, let’s go for it.

Pre FA Cup 3rd Round - Presser

• All in order about the squad, speak to Jason every day.
  • We speak about what we can do and what could potentially hurt us
  • Things are underway our end. Jan is always quiet early on. Jason and the guys will do their stuff
  • They will bring it to the table for me when it gets important - it is all good
  • I think Stuart Armstrong is happy to stay here, I think there will be lots of conversations this month
  • I chat with him a lot, I enjoy it. We ask what he needs.
  • However, my job is to make the players feel they belong, and Stu has been amazing
  • Unless he comes to me and tells me he wants out, we will carry on in investing all into him, and him into us
  • He really helps us get to where we are.  I don't stress about his contract, but will cross that bridge when we come to it
  • If someone offers really good money for Che and we turn it down, it may be quite expensive
  • It is very much down to Che as well. I made a mistake to take Che out of the team at Norwich
  • I apologised to him, it was my fault. He is looking great, pressing like a beast and is really good
  • Sam Edozie is out for the month, but could be back at the end, if not, early Feb.
  • Rubbish challenge on him, such a shame, but he will be back at the same time with Bree and Kamaldeen
  • We have a good squad and can manage until then
  • The injuries have not changed anything for incomings, we know what we want and those 3 are not out for very long anyway
  • Finances play a part, and we area relaxed about it. We have a great squad and will add to it if we can
  • I really enjoy the FA Cup, and this is a brilliant opportunity for some to get game time after a hectic period
  • we will have a really strong team out on Sat, but it will be a different team compared to recent weeks
  • We must keep the momentum going, and for some of the other guys to earn their place in the team
  • Really important for the club to progress, this is the best cup competition around

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:
  • I think Stuart Armstrong is happy to stay here, I think there will be lots of conversations this month
  • I chat with him a lot, I enjoy it. We ask what he needs.
  • However, my job is to make the players feel they belong, and Stu has been amazing
  • Unless he comes to me and tells me he wants out, we will carry on in investing all into him, and him into us
  • He really helps us get to where we are.  I don't stress about his contract, but will cross that bridge when we come to it

Cheers for the summary as always @AlexLaw76 👍

Was he asked a specific question about Stuart Armstrong's situation or did he come up with these statements on him 'out of the blue'? I don't recall seeing/hearing any specific speculation about SA leading up to this window, so slightly surprised it cropped up in today's press conference... Smoke? Fire...?

Edited by trousers

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Cheers for the summary as always @AlexLaw76 👍

Was he asked a specific question about Stuart Armstrong's situation or did he come up with these statements on him 'out of the blue'? I don't recall seeing/hearing any specific speculation about SA leading up to this window, so slightly surprised it cropped up in today's press conference... Smoke? Fire...?

He was asked about SA directly, then onto Che, as both players' contracts are up in 6 months.

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He fucking hates us for some reason.

Didn’t we have a few run-ins with Norwich at the time he played there ? Might have been around the time we used to get a red card or so against them (Benali springs to mind).

Always thought Sutton was a nasty bastard when playing. Why the BBC have tried reinventing him and Savage into celebrities is beyond me. (Savage shitting in the referees toilet incident has been air brushed from history). 

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Didn’t we have a few run-ins with Norwich at the time he played there ? Might have been around the time we used to get a red card or so against them (Benali springs to mind).

Always thought Sutton was a nasty bastard when playing. Why the BBC have tried reinventing him and Savage into celebrities is beyond me. (Savage shitting in the referees toilet incident has been air brushed from history). 

Sutton scored that spawny winning goal at Carrow Rd in the cup replay where Barry Horne and Matt LeTiss got sent off

That presser was so wholesome. I love the way Russ just talks like some bloke down the pub and doesn't sound like he's getting every answer from some script like when you have 5 answers to choose from on Football Manager.

Never seen a manager admit so freely to his mistakes either. Bloke's a breath of fresh air.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Why the BBC have tried reinventing him and Savage into celebrities is beyond me. (Savage shitting in the referees toilet incident has been air brushed from history). 

Agreed. the 606 show is something to be cherished, despite it being no where near as good as the original Danny Baker version. I have been listening to it on the way home from away games, like most of you no doubt, since those first shows in 1991. Since Savage joined, it's simply unlistenable IMO. I'd rather pull my own finger nails out with pliers than suffer two hours of him. Can't wait for the day they find someone else. Sutton is almost as bad. What a pair.

9 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

That presser was so wholesome. I love the way Russ just talks like some bloke down the pub and doesn't sound like he's getting every answer from some script like when you have 5 answers to choose from on Football Manager.

Never seen a manager admit so freely to his mistakes either. Bloke's a breath of fresh air.

I wonder if you would be saying that if we were losing games? We're not, so my point is mute I guess.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Walsall - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-0 Walsall - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic