Saints 4-0 Walsall - Match Thread

SaintBobby

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Agreed. the 606 show is something to be cherished, despite it being no where near as good as the original Danny Baker version. I have been listening to it on the way home from away games, like most of you no doubt, since those first shows in 1991. Since Savage joined, it's simply unlistenable IMO. I'd rather pull my own finger nails out with pliers than suffer two hours of him. Can't wait for the day they find someone else. Sutton is almost as bad. What a pair.

Agree that when Danny Baker (and a few other random guests at that time) hosted it the show was excellent. They'd have proper fans of clubs from all leagues phoning in, often relaying the amusing events that happened at a game they were at.

The hosts wouldn't try to wind up the callers by making controversial or contrary statements. They also wouldn't take calls from idiots who say things like "I didn't watch the game today but Arsenal didn't win so they should sack Arteta".

I can't last more than about 10 minutes listening to it now when driving back from a game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wonder if you would be saying that if we were losing games? We're not, so my point is mute I guess.

I like to think that if we were on a terrible run, he probably wouldn't be sat there smiling and regaling stories of yesteryear like he hasn't got a care in the world. I'd still like him as a person even if I didn't rate him as a manager - I really liked Pellegrino as a person even though he was garbage as a manager.

• Like 1

Bought my tickets last night, we really have sold a lot for a 3rd round game against a League 2 team.

The game has been well priced by the club. With the weather set fine there should be a decent walk up too. 

10 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Agree that when Danny Baker (and a few other random guests at that time) hosted it the show was excellent. They'd have proper fans of clubs from all leagues phoning in, often relaying the amusing events that happened at a game they were at.

The hosts wouldn't try to wind up the callers by making controversial or contrary statements. They also wouldn't take calls from idiots who say things like "I didn't watch the game today but Arsenal didn't win so they should sack Arteta".

I can't last more than about 10 minutes listening to it now when driving back from a game.

I'm with you. It's not just the presenters that are shit, it's the callers. They have nothing to say that is worth listening to. 

27 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wonder if you would be saying that if we were losing games? We're not, so my point is mute I guess.

I think the point being made is that you can independently appreciate the character of a man without having to connect it to the team performance for which he is responsible.  

It’s quite often the case, not just here, that a persons character is conflated with their job performance : for example Manning makes a mistake = he is a pr&ck. It goes the other way too  - Manning scores a winner = he is brilliant bloke.😄.
 Many during or after match posts here seem to follow this what you might call logical fallacy. We all do it. 😇

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm with you. It's not just the presenters that are shit, it's the callers. They have nothing to say that is worth listening to. 

Pretty much the same for all of the BBC and R5 output - all the good non-sports presenters jumped ship to Times Radio a long time ago.... and as for the callers, well....

20 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I’m meant to be reffing in Hamble Sunday…should I bring a snorkel? 😄

My friend from Hamble sat next to me on the sofa says 'take flippers'. Mind you, she hates football, even if she did sponsor my team.

What sort of crowd are we expecting today? Now the rain has stopped might be a few more willing to splash out a tenner?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

My friend from Hamble sat next to me on the sofa says 'take flippers'. Mind you, she hates football, even if she did sponsor my team.

What sort of crowd are we expecting today? Now the rain has stopped might be a few more willing to splash out a tenner?

It's fine in Hamble now. Source, me, I live here.

Hound Road was amusing on Thursday evening, flooded across the whole road. 2 cars abandoned in the middle.

Crowd today will be decent. Even the Chapel is open. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It's fine in Hamble now. Source, me, I live here.

Hound Road was amusing on Thursday evening, flooded across the whole road. 2 cars abandoned in the middle.

Crowd today will be decent. Even the Chapel is open. 

My lad was supposed to play tomorrow in Netley. They council have said no games to be played on the cricket field until further notice 

12 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'd love for Stuart Armstrong to sign a new deal. I'd like to thing one is on the table, in recent times (which have been shit) he has been a very consistent performer and one of my favourite players.

Agreed, when he’s on it he really makes us tick. It takes a good few games for him to play himself back into form after an injury/break so we need to manage his minutes but he can be top class. 

7 minutes ago, Roger said:

Is the whole ground open today as if it is we are on course for a near sell out only 750 seats left. 

No, the Chapel corners haven't been put on sale but a decent crowd (in the low-mid 20,000s expected). Much depends on the walk-ups, particularly as there's not the usual price increase on-the-day this time), that could see the corners open if required. There will also be around a thousand empty seats in the visitors section, they're bring just over 2,000 which will be a good (probably excited and noisy support). "Here for the Walsall, yer only here for the Wal...."

On 01/01/2024 at 19:29, trousers said:

Lumley, Bree, Stephens, HB, Manning, Smallbone, Charles, Alcaraz, Amo-Ameyaw, Dibling, Mara

I think I'd go along with that " trousers" .  Makes you wonder how many U21/ U18 lads will be on the bench.

Some people on here suggest we should play Bazunu anyway, but I think that logic says;

-Joe Lumley Is on a season contract and hasn't played a game yet, so we have to see how he performs.

- In the worst case scenario (a defeat) .....at least we won't end up losing 3 points in this game.

- McCarthy will (finally) be out of contract in the summer, and so we will need ANOTHER keeper as cover for Bazunu. .

- a good showing, and maybe more cup games later on will give us a chance to access Joe's capabilities.

9 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

I think I'd go along with that " trousers" .  Makes you wonder how many U21/ U18 lads will be on the bench.

Some people on here suggest we should play Bazunu anyway, but I think that logic says;

-Joe Lumley Is on a season contract and hasn't played a game yet, so we have to see how he performs.

- In the worst case scenario (a defeat) .....at least we won't end up losing 3 points in this game.

- McCarthy will (finally) be out of contract in the summer, and so we will need ANOTHER keeper as cover for Bazunu. .

- a good showing, and maybe more cup games later on will give us a chance to access Joe's capabilities.

RM noted that Bree is unavailable until Feb. Any number of possible permutations arise out of that if you assume KWP is “rested”

IF JWP is rested I’d rather Meg gets a chance at LB and either Stephens or preferable Manni g starting at RB. If Manning is RB I’d be happy with Stephens at CB Wh THB for example. 
NB not to rule out Mason but I’d rather one of ours normally starts this type of match. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

When 606 started it was about all of football and the genius of Danny Baker was that he made it about the callers. No it is just about the Premier League and Savage. But I would much rather listen to it on my two hour drive home than live coverage of a game.

• Like 1

A Back four of Stephens,holgate , THB and Manning should be strong enough to stop Walsall scoring and experienced enough to do what’s required to win.
Much as I want our kids to play Id rather they play up front or midfield as starters - and in the ( imo) key defence positions only when/if we are winning. 

Edited by gio1saints

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

A Back four of Stephens,holgate , THB and Manning should be strong enough to stop Walsall scoring and experienced enough to do what’s required to win.
Much as I want our kids to play Id rather they play up front or midfield as starters - and in the ( imo) key defence positions only when/if we are winning. 

Don't know if I'd risk Manning though, we can't afford for him to get injured with bree already out. 

Looking forward to this one today 😊 there will definitely be a quite a few changes. Expecting to see Lumley, Holgate, Smallbone, Charles, Mara and Fraser all start. Excited to see Dibling play along with Amo-Ameyaw and Meghoma. 3-0 to us - COYR :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Good to see KWP given a complete rest. If any player deserves it this season it’s him.

Either that or he's 'sold subject to contract' ;) #ConspiracyTheoriesRUs

6 minutes ago, Nieldy said:

Does anyone know if that's Walsall strongest eleven starting 

This was their starting 11 in their last game (the 6-1 demolition of Grimsby)

20240106_141436.jpg

Today's line-up:

20240106_140058.jpg

So, just the one change 

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, Nieldy said:

Cheers for that.There first team then.

Seems that way. And, reading their fan's reaction to the team, it looks like Johnson is their 'star striker' returning from injury. What could possibly go wrong... ;)

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Walsall - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-0 Walsall - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic