Carlos Alcaraz

Master Bates

5 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yeah lucky little us .. fact is he is/was still our player we look to be in with a great chance of going back up so if we wanted to keep him ?

its not like juve have coughed up the readys yet just seems like we are prioritising increasing his value more then what he can do in the pitch for us that’s the part I find depressing 

don’t we want these young stars to be good for saints ? 

He doesn't currently fit into our style of play and isn't getting into the team regularly. He's a luxury player that we can't afford in our current position. 

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

He doesn't currently fit into our style of play and isn't getting into the team regularly. He's a luxury player that we can't afford in our current position. 

Not currently fitting isn’t really the case, I think it’s just competition for places and Armstrong and arribo also doing well..

we are gonna have a simular problem with the likes of Fraser edozie and sulemana now Fraser deserves his place but the other two could get frustrated 

Quotes doing the rounds from Charly saying that he's not happy with the asking price we've set and that it will be "difficult, but not impossible" to convince Juventus to sign him at that price. 

Surely that shows we value/rate him and Juve don't? 

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Quotes doing the rounds from Charly saying that he's not happy with the asking price we've set and that it will be "difficult, but not impossible" to convince Juventus to sign him at that price. 

Surely that shows we value/rate him and Juve don't? 

Really don’t think anyone should be taking quotes directed at a particular audience and translated through 3 different languages seriously 

Read earlier that we  are looking to sign Matias Soule from Juve, and this may be linked to the Alcaraz loan, and therefore a way that Jive could afford it. Have never heard of Soule so no idea what to make of it, but apparently we tried to sign him but he was unwilling to leave his loan club (Frosinone) mid season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/juventus-set-matias-soule-asking-price-amid-southampton-interest/

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet it was 3 days ago it was posted (Declan Harte?). Sounds a bit far fetched to me.

31 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Read earlier that we  are looking to sign Matias Soule from Juve, and this may be linked to the Alcaraz loan, and therefore a way that Jive could afford it. Have never heard of Soule so no idea what to make of it, but apparently we tried to sign him but he was unwilling to leave his loan club (Frosinone) mid season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/juventus-set-matias-soule-asking-price-amid-southampton-interest/

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet it was 3 days ago it was posted (Declan Harte?). Sounds a bit far fetched to me.

I had thought for a time that if one subscribed to the FPR avoidance conspiracies then Alcaraz's "high" option price and a Soule (or any other) purchase from Juventus could be akin to the Arthur/Pjanic Barcelona/Juventus deals at eye brow raising prices. Book the profit this year and amortise the purchase over the length of the contract will help postpone a FPR issue to another day.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Juventus would like to renegotiate the terms of their buy option for Carlos Alcaraz with Southampton

The Serie A side are ‘not ready’ to activate the purchase clause at the current price of €49.5m

I'd like to renegotiate the terms of the buy option for my house.

I am 'not ready' to pay what the bank said I should pay.

I guess they've got as much chance as I have!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Juventus would like to renegotiate the terms of their buy option for Carlos Alcaraz with Southampton

The Serie A side are ‘not ready’ to activate the purchase clause at the current price of €49.5m

Wow! What a complete shock that no one could have seen coming.

They'll offer something piss poor then in the summer rely on Charly trying to force the move. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I'd like to renegotiate the terms of the buy option for my house.

I am 'not ready' to pay what the bank said I should pay.

I guess they've got as much chance as I have!

Difference being there isn’t an agent telling your house to sulk, and refuse to perform. 

He’s being compared positively from what he does in training with other perhaps overrated attacking midfielders at Juve ( paraphrasing from a bunch of Italian media sources) who are not performing. They especially like that he is always wanting to take the ball on the half turn and be aggressive/positive - unlike other current Juve players who are often playing safe just rebounding passes from the cb’s. Sounds familiar!

My problem with Charlie - who I love- is that yes he was told to be aggressive and go positively forwards with the ball - but it so often caused a turnaround that he was as much a liability as a joy ( occasionally) to watch. IF the rest of the team were told to especially carry the water for him ( as deschamps was once described as) and he had free reign no prob -  but that not been the case and he’s expected to wash his own dishes at saints- and defending after a chick up that’s not his best skill.
He is not Messi or MLT, yet. If ever. BUT - If he even gets close good news for Saints. He is obviously looking decent in Juve training though from what I’ve read so these stories are positive not negative in any case. The’ manager ( Allegri?)  is basically just settling for a top four place now as Inter have the Scudetto in hand so Charlie may get more chances anyway.,
PS.   sry for mixed metaphors but you know what I mean. I hope. 😇

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

Quotes from juventus Juventus director Giuntoli: “We decided to sign Charly Alcaraz as we wanted a young talent and it was an opportunity”. “We didn’t have time to negotiate proper buy option clause, so in case we want to sign Alcaraz then we will negotiate with #SaintsFC  

way I see it juventus are totally playing us here . They agreed to a deal they where never gonna meet knowing that once they get alcaraz there he ain’t gonna want to come back.  In the summer we will then be held over a barrel as he won’t want to come back to us and knowing us we will let juventus agree a price that they want to pay ..

and every one claims how genius Jason Wilcox was for this 🤣 it’s not genius they have totally mugged us off 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

Quotes from 

Juventus director Cristiano Giuntoli:

"We needed a lad who would not disturb the squad."

"The coach amassed 54 points, so it is only right to continue with this approach that gave us so much satisfaction until now. We need to get our heads down and achieve the target we set at the start of the season, which is Champions League qualification,” 

“I will explain. We needed to bring in a lad who would not disturb the squad that we were very happy with, so a young player with good prospects. The opportunity arrived 48 hours before the deadline and we did not have time to negotiate the release clause."

“We have great respect for his club (Southampton) and at the right moment will sit down to discuss the options.”

"He just arrived, is very young and lacks experience at this level. When you negotiate a loan fee, you try to protect yourself, for instance if he is injured,”

“It was a ‘light’ economic move, he has already come off the bench twice. We did not need a starter, but someone who could fill that slot with prospects for the future.”

47 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Quotes from juventus Juventus director Giuntoli: “We decided to sign Charly Alcaraz as we wanted a young talent and it was an opportunity”. “We didn’t have time to negotiate proper buy option clause, so in case we want to sign Alcaraz then we will negotiate with #SaintsFC  

way I see it juventus are totally playing us here . They agreed to a deal they where never gonna meet knowing that once they get alcaraz there he ain’t gonna want to come back.  In the summer we will then be held over a barrel as he won’t want to come back to us and knowing us we will let juventus agree a price that they want to pay ..

and every one claims how genius Jason Wilcox was for this 🤣 it’s not genius they have totally mugged us off 

How exactly have they mugged us off? They agreed to a price, they can't now turn around and say it's not a "proper" price because they didn't have time. It's what they agreed to do that's what it is.

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

How exactly have they mugged us off? They agreed to a price, they can't now turn around and say it's not a "proper" price because they didn't have time. It's what they agreed to do that's what it is.

Plus he signed a new deal this season - if he’s going to leave, it’s on our terms. He’s not exactly been bashing the door down with performances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Well that’s exactly what they are gonna do ..  what usually happens when a player doesn’t want to stay with us ? 

Hes gonna want to stay there, we won’t want to take a player back who doesn’t want to be here so will agree a much lower fee .. 

we thought we was being clever but it’s gonna totally unsettle alcaraz and you know what happens next 

Also you need to remember it was only a option to buy not obligation .. they are openly admitting they just agreed this deal to get him there 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

So many assumptions are being made here. I like the conjecture, but the "sky is falling" mentality is a bit much. The front office proved they can hold their ground this past summer... I have seen nothing to make me believe they will suddenly shift tactics now. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

We’ve literally never done anything like that.

We don’t usually stand in players way when they don’t want to be here do we ?

juventus are openly admitting they did this deal to get him there and then will look about negotiating a price in the summer .

at that stage (if they want him) he’s going to have his heart set on juventus. So we have a player who doesn’t want to be here or we negotiate with them .

can you really see him coming back or juventus paying 49m euros ? I can’t 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

juventus are openly admitting they did this deal to get him there and then will look about negotiating a price in the summer .

at that stage (if they want him) he’s going to have his heart set on juventus. So we have a player who doesn’t want to be here or we negotiate with them .

They (or anybody else) were never paying 49m euros for him, because he’s not worth that. 

He can have his heart set on Juve all he likes, if they don’t stump up the cash then he won’t be going anywhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

There absolutely nothing about Charley's conduct since he joined us that would suggest he'll force through a move to Juventus if we don't want it to happen. Quite the opposite in fact

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Came on a a sub today after 20 minutes or so.

Played quite well, although he had 2 wild shots and a few of his through balls were intercepted. Would have had a tap in last minute winner , but it had already crossed the line.

Miles better that Rothwell.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2024 at 08:20, redkeith said:

Came on a a sub today after 20 minutes or so.

Played quite well, although he had 2 wild shots and a few of his through balls were intercepted. Would have had a tap in last minute winner , but it had already crossed the line.

Miles better that Rothwell.

Goes without saying sadly. But Rothwell is mates with AA, Stephens, and brooks... Whilst Martin didn't really fancy alcaraz. On the face of it though, it was a silly bit of business that one, at least from a squad quality and balance perspective. I know I've said it before, but that loan could have been used to get cover at full back or at cdm... 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

On 25/02/2024 at 13:39, Saint_clark said:

If there’s no obligation they can do what they want.  The only obligation is we have to sell him if they pay the agreed price, which isn’t going to happen.

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

If there’s no obligation they can do what they want.  The only obligation is we have to sell him if they pay the agreed price, which isn’t going to happen.

Exactly. So we don't sell him.

• Like 1

Played for 90 minutes from the start today and provided the pass for Juv’s equalising goal.  2:1 to Napoli in injury time.  Have not watched but he probably did well having played almost the whole game.  Juve have 28% possession so not quite Russball.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 20:01, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Unbelievable really. As you say, a real waste. Could have been up with the greats if he had a better attitude 

Not sure anyone who's made the career choice to join Man Utd post Ferguson has reached their potential, that along with injuries I'd say are what did it for him.

On 25/02/2024 at 12:49, pimpin4rizeal said:

You shouldn't rule out that he might be back here in the summer especially if we make it to the upper tier. 

11 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You shouldn't rule out that he might be back here in the summer especially if we make it to the upper tier. 

Just sounds to me like they are being very clever here agree a deal they won’t pay to get him there and then renegotiate..

i think when you loan a player to a club the size of juventus you are allowing him to be tapped up to the max ..

it can only strengthen their hand that he’s already there and they can talk him into the move as much as they like

if they want him he will be gone 

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Just sounds to me like they are being very clever here agree a deal they won’t pay to get him there and then renegotiate..

i think when you loan a player to a club the size of juventus you are allowing him to be tapped up to the max ..

it can only strengthen their hand that he’s already there and they can talk him into the move as much as they like

if they want him he will be gone 

Think it’s pretty obvious the club weren’t expecting Juventus to pay €49m for him. And also pretty sure they will expect them to be making it as nice as possible for him there.

None of this still changes the fact he’s a Southampton player, signed a new contract this season and they will have to pay us what we want if they want to sign him. Wouldn’t surprise me if the new contract had a release clause which happens to be the same amount as the €49m option Juventus have.

Suspect we will have a Tella situation, whereby Juventus will want to pay us peanuts and we’ll tell them where to go and sell to someone who makes a more meaningful offer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Think it’s pretty obvious the club weren’t expecting Juventus to pay €49m for him. And also pretty sure they will expect them to be making it as nice as possible for him there.

None of this still changes the fact he’s a Southampton player, signed a new contract this season and they will have to pay us what we want if they want to sign him. Wouldn’t surprise me if the new contract had a release clause which happens to be the same amount as the €49m option Juventus have.

Suspect we will have a Tella situation, whereby Juventus will want to pay us peanuts and we’ll tell them where to go and sell to someone who makes a more meaningful offer.

If anyone’s being naive here though I don’t think it’s juventus .. they have admitted they where in a rush and want to renegotiate. We must have put the buy option there for s reason ?

can see where you are coming from with the tella comparison ..but what the player wants here might be a bigger factor tella in the end got a better offer then Burnley .. but it’s super unlikely alcaraz will get a better offer then juve and he could want them like van dijk wanted Liverpool.

not sure I can see us saying no you can’t join the biggest club in Italy when here you are behind smallbone and Armstrong, doesn’t seem the Southampton way 

13 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

If anyone’s being naive here though I don’t think it’s juventus .. they have admitted they where in a rush and want to renegotiate. We must have put the buy option there for s reason ?

can see where you are coming from with the tella comparison ..but what the player wants here might be a bigger factor tella in the end got a better offer then Burnley .. but it’s super unlikely alcaraz will get a better offer then juve and he could want them like van dijk wanted Liverpool.

not sure I can see us saying no you can’t join the biggest club in Italy when here you are behind smallbone and Armstrong, doesn’t seem the Southampton way 

Yeah, at a very unrealistic level to stop him going on the cheap. And also to put a yardstick in the ground to say to prospective buyers that this is the level we’re talking about.

We won’t say no, so long as Juventus stump up the cash. The only player we’ve seemingly sold below our wanted valuation (who wasn’t in final year of contract) in recent years was JWP.

I can’t see them forking out more than £15m for him, certainly not for someone playing in Div 2 of the English league. And there’s no chance we accept that.

I'm wondering how the deal has been decribed in the media at their end. I have seen several comments on his Instagram from Juventus fans to the effect of him being an excellent buy and/or the best 50m euro they've spent. I don't speak Italian but the auto translate always has it in the past tense.

Dario Cvitanich on Alcaraz:

"When he was 19, one day he said to me ‘I’m tired of life’. I replied: ‘You’re 19 years old, do you realise the future you can have if you focus?’

“Well, he went to Southampton, now he’s at Juventus? We used to talk a lot at Racing, I liked him and I like him a lot.”