Carlos Alcaraz

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

By all means be creative to get 12 yards in front of goal. Once you're there, keep it simple.

Exactly, it’s a free shot on goal, a gilt edged opportunity. What try reinventing the wheel ?

Every time someone tries to do that, and be clever it inevitably results in a balls up to the detriment of the team taking the kick. Remember Arsenal, Henry and one other (was it Pires ?). Two top level players at the top of their game, and they bollocksed one  rather than simply taking it. 

It was shit. Some games he disappears, but others adds something we are sometimes lacking. 

He is comfortable when teams defend deep and crowd us out, for example his play in the lead up to one of the Cardiff goals. He always tries to let the ball run forward, or try a fast incisive pass. I also like his character, he can be rash, or look sulky etc but it's great to see some personality in the game. 

We saw all side of this yesterday, from the cocky penalty, to his reaction after - he went into a super determined zone, desperate to make amends and score, and when he did, he showed humility to repeatedly apologise and thank the fans. 

I like him. 

• Like 12

48 minutes ago, Badger said:

Exactly, it’s a free shot on goal, a gilt edged opportunity. What try reinventing the wheel ?

Every time someone tries to do that, and be clever it inevitably results in a balls up to the detriment of the team taking the kick. Remember Arsenal, Henry and one other (was it Pires ?). Two top level players at the top of their game, and they bollocksed one  rather than simply taking it. 

You're just remembering all the times these things haven't worked and not the many more times they have.

Because it looks silly when it doesn't come off it sticks in the mind

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

It was shit. Some games he disappears, but others adds something we are sometimes lacking. 

He is comfortable when teams defend deep and crowd us out, for example his play in the lead up to one of the Cardiff goals. He always tries to let the ball run forward, or try a fast incisive pass. I also like his character, he can be rash, or look sulky etc but it's great to see some personality in the game. 

We saw all side of this yesterday, from the cocky penalty, to his reaction after - he went into a super determined zone, desperate to make amends and score, and when he did, he showed humility to repeatedly apologise and thank the fans. 

I like him. 

He wears his heart on his sleeve. He's passionate, loyal, a top lad

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Would you be saying the same if someone like Aribo or Mara stepped up and did it? 

I'm not an Alcaraz flag waver by any stretch of the imagination so, yes I probably would have said the same... my thoughts on the penalty have no particular bearing on who the player was. 

Anyway, good as always to see a range of opinions on the Saintsweb forum and everyone respecting everyone else's viewpoint... ;)

Edited by trousers

19 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Nope. I thought it was idiotic, immature and cocky. 
Missing from twelve yards as an attacking player is criminal.

That is exactly what we need in this team. For far too long we've lacked any flair and have been far too safe. 

Yeah it didn't work, yeah he looked like a tit, but i'd much rather we gave licence to players like Alcaraz and Sully to try things and express their talent.

I'd much rather looking like a tit in a game we've won and where the opposition offer 0 threat, than him turn into another Redmond. 

• Like 6

Apologies to England fans ( that’s me too though I’ve split loyalties of Italian parents!) but this is what Charlie was trying to do

https://youtu.be/gXFWmpB-cPQ?si=BSQ_Rw5OxMBEFNGm

Im withDman on this. You got to be allowed to dream, to dare. Charlie’s dared and it did not work but the mark of the man is how he responds to that setback.

This season I’ve seen Kamaldeen shrink on the pitch after a few mistakes. Charlie has lost his head a few times also.Even Sam got wooden legs at times. 

All three thrive on confidence. Of the three I think Charlie is the strongest mentally, KS the most talented and Sam the most prepared to work harder to get better. Any of those three fit and confident are / will be a handful in championship- and EPL so I’m all for letting them dare to try stuff. The rest of the team, especially older heads, must be intelligent enough to recognise raw talent and adapt accordingly. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

Let's encourage Bazunu to make scorpion kick saves like this guy. It would give him the license to express his talent. The orthodox method of using your hands is far too safe!

In all seriousness, cockiness can be a virtue but it must be kept in check. We should be encouraging our players to try new things but they must be calculated risks. Trying a panenka kick is not a calculated risk. It's simply an attempt to humiliate your opponent.

I want all the risk taking to be in chance creation. Not in chance taking!

higuita-realiza-la-mitica-parada-del-escorpion--twitter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

That is exactly what we need in this team. For far too long we've lacked any flair and have been far too safe. 

Yeah it didn't work, yeah he looked like a tit, but i'd much rather we gave licence to players like Alcaraz and Sully to try things and express their talent.

I'd much rather looking like a tit in a game we've won and where the opposition offer 0 threat, than him turn into another Redmond. 

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

One of the last games that I refereed was a cup game at Hamble. The home team contained a lot of former professionals most of whom were no bother at all at carried on playing because they loved the game. One midfielder however was an annoying little  something whom they asked me to sign on before kickoff. I recognised his name* as soon as I saw it.

He had played for Villa and Portsmouth and had loan spells at Bournemouth and Swansea so I looked forward to see him running midfield. The reality was totally different. He was constantly trying little niggly things hoping I didn’t spot them, and spent the whole game carping and moaning.

Near the end of the game his side were 6-0 up and I had to award them an obvious penalty. Up steps the man himself to take it and tries a Panenka. The goalkeeper just stood in the middle of his goal and waited for the ball to drop into his arms.

It would have taken a heart of stone not to laugh 😂 

*name supplied on request by P.M.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Apologies to England fans ( that’s me too though I’ve split loyalties of Italian parents!) but this is what Charlie was trying to do

https://youtu.be/gXFWmpB-cPQ?si=BSQ_Rw5OxMBEFNGm

Im withDman on this. You got to be allowed to dream, to dare. Charlie’s dared and it did not work but the mark of the man is how he responds to that setback.

This season I’ve seen Kamaldeen shrink on the pitch after a few mistakes. Charlie has lost his head a few times also.Even Sam got wooden legs at times. 

All three thrive on confidence. Of the three I think Charlie is the strongest mentally, KS the most talented and Sam the most prepared to work harder to get better. Any of those three fit and confident are / will be a handful in championship- and EPL so I’m all for letting them dare to try stuff. The rest of the team, especially older heads, must be intelligent enough to recognise raw talent and adapt accordingly. 

KS is the fastest but the least talented of the three at this time.

38 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

One of the last games that I refereed was a cup game at Hamble. The home team contained a lot of former professionals most of whom were no bother at all at carried on playing because they loved the game. One midfielder however was an annoying little  something whom they asked me to sign on before kickoff. I recognised his name* as soon as I saw it.

He had played for Villa and Portsmouth and had loan spells at Bournemouth and Swansea so I looked forward to see him running midfield. The reality was totally different. He was constantly trying little niggly things hoping I didn’t spot them, and spent the whole game carping and moaning.

Near the end of the game his side were 6-0 up and I had to award them an obvious penalty. Up steps the man himself to take it and tries a Panenka. The goalkeeper just stood in the middle of his goal and waited for the ball to drop into his arms.

Was he an irritating WASP perhaps?

53 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Were the appeals to you made in a nasal Mancunian accent? :) Bally signing for the blue few I think, not one of his best.

• Haha 1

I know what you mean about the older ones being the worst. Refereed a City of Soton vets league match a few weeks back and it was a horrible experience. Nasty niggly trying to cheat all over the park like it was their livelihood instead of amateur football. Did a Soton U18’s match on the next day (Sunday) and the players and staff couldn’t have been nicer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

I know what you mean about the older ones being the worst. Refereed a City of Soton vets league match a few weeks back and it was a horrible experience. Nasty niggly trying to cheat all over the park like it was their livelihood instead of amateur football. Did a Soton U18’s match on the next day (Sunday) and the players and staff couldn’t have been nicer. 

Some of the other ex-professionals were brilliant. I didn’t know at the start but when I saw one of the centre halves drill a sixty yard pass out to the left winger I knew something strange was going on. That ball went straight as an arrow never more than a couple of feet above the ground. I game him a quizzical look and he just grinned. I think he used to be a centre half for Plymouth.

• 1 month later...

I am sorry to lose Charlie but think he showed more promise in the Prem than he has done this season a League below.
If he does thrive at Juventus the expected transfer fee seems to provide the club with a decent return on the initial investment.
I am more uplifted by the arrival of David Brooks than and disappointment in losing Charlie.
Hopefully my view of the situation does prove to be misguided.
What I am disappointed about is the lack of a  central striker who can convert some of the high crosses into the opponents penalty area which our wide players provide.

7 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

The option to buy is just fluff.  Juventus won’t be paying £40m for him unless he rips up Serie A and other clubs become interested.

You're probably right. I'm reading about these 'shop window' transfers where we arrange a loan which revolves around him playing quite a few games (the more he plays, the less the loan fee), and while Juventus won't pay £40m, he will hopefully play well in some games which will up his permanent transfer value to a.n.other club. Which suggests we might not see him again in a Saints shirt.

That would be a pity. Bit of a flair player but has the ability to make things happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

You're probably right. I'm reading about these 'shop window' transfers where we arrange a loan which revolves around him playing quite a few games (the more he plays, the less the loan fee), and while Juventus won't pay £40m, he will hopefully play well in some games which will up his permanent transfer value to a.n.other club. Which suggests we might not see him again in a Saints shirt.

That would be a pity. Bit of a flair player but has the ability to make things happen.

He wont play much....Italian clubs do this...

Shame, as when he's at it he's really good and different to anything we have , hope he's back next season when we might just need that occasional bit of class. Buona fortuna Charlie 

• Like 1

good luck to him, seems a really nice lad and is going to be a good player. Juventus are one of the glamour names in European football so cant blame him. It was clear early on Martin didnt rate him or trust him so probably best move for everyone.

• Like 6

Leading football agent, Fabrizio Romano has announced that the deal is completed:

So, what do people think?

Personally I think it is a mistake. Until mid-December we had not won a single game without him. Since then, of course, Stu Armstrong has returned to fitness and has started instead and we have not lost a single game and have won most games.

If Stu stays fit, then great! However, if he gets injured we could be struggling. Without Charly, who would we turn to without Stu? Rothwell? Aribo? 

Aribo, Rothwell(some of us giving him a chance) Brooks, Sully and Ezozie can provide the threat without giving it away as much .

Charly will be back and it’s only 6 months he has to settle in another country too so he will have to hit ground running at Juve if wants game time.

I think this balance the books after recent loans for squad player.

Everyone at the club would like to wish Charly the best of luck for the remainder of the season.

Director of Football Jason Wilcox said: “Allowing Charly to leave on loan was a decision that we have been deliberating on for some time, but Russell, Phil and our ownership group are all in agreement that this is the right move for Charly at this time.

“Considering the midfield options we have available to us right now, and Charly’s lack of game time, we wanted to allow him this chance to gain some valuable experience in one of the top leagues in Europe.

“Juventus are a huge club and we are convinced that this move will allow Charly the opportunity to flourish and then come back and be a success at Southampton.”

After hearing the statement from Jason Wilcox, I'm relaxed about it. We do have a lot more options in midfield currently, although Carlos is a class act, he's one of my favourites 😊 good luck to him and he will return at the end of the season.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carlos Alcaraz
2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

After hearing the statement from Jason Wilcox, I'm relaxed about it. We do have a lot more options in midfield currently, although Carlos is a class act, he's one of my favourites 😊 good luck to him and he will return at the end of the season.

Ditto

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carlos Alcaraz - Official: Loaned to Juventus
6 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I think the way he has justified it also makes me more confident that we won't be selling any key players this window. None of them would agree that letting other first team options go would be in our best interest. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Sounds like Wilcox expects him to return for next season then…

Of course he does, the lad would have to tear up that league and score or assist a hatful for them to part with £42 million.

• Like 2

It's a shame, I like Charly. Hasn't massively flourished this season for sure, but a great option to have around the place.

but...for him, a move to Juve is just massive. What an opportunity for the lad. For us, we get a pretty chunky loan fee - and even more if he doesn't get the games - and if he tears it up, we get £45m and double our money and then some.

Personally I can't see Juve buying him as Italian clubs don't have any money, but it will certainly put him in a higher profile shop window - we've secured ourselves as he has a long contract, so his value isn't dropping.

In terms of the squad, if you look at where he plays, Stu, Aribo and Rothwell are also competing for that role. Brooks is also very, very adept in the number 10 role - so we kinda do have a bit of an embarrassment of options there. It won't hurt us as much as losing KWP would have, or Che. We have plenty of alternatives to fill Charlys void for now.

Juve have to include all the financials in their communications, so here are all the details -

Turin, 31 January 2024 - Juventus Football Club S.p.A. announces that an agreement with Southampton Football Club for the temporary acquisition, until 30 June 2024, of the registration rights of the player Carlos Jonas Alcaraz Duran has been finalized for a consideration of € 3.7 million, with the addition of ancillary costs of € 0.2 million, which might be increased up to a maximum of € 1.9 milion upon achievement of specific sporting performance objectives.
The agreement further entails the right for Juventus to definitively acquire the player’s registration rights for an agreed consideration of € 49.5 million, payable in three years, which might be increased upon achievement of further sporting performance objectives over the duration of the employment contract with the player.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Sounds like Wilcox expects him to return for next season then…

Yes. No chance will Juve, who are under a cloud financially I believe - will be parting with £35m for him. Not unless he is the next great talent over the coming months!

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carlos Alcaraz